NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I saw was an EMT who seemed more concerned about how she was going to get him on the stretcher and in the ambulance.

First responders tend to pick up on the energy/activity at a scene. There was no urgency that I could see by LE and I think that may have translated to the EMT's.

Yes! When I saw the full, unedited video today, I could hear the woman EMT say something like how many of us is it going to take to get this man on a stretcher? Someone else answered "about six of us".

Like it was just too much trouble and too much heavy lifting to bother with. SMH.

See, that is what I wondered. It was not necessarily the choke hold that did it . It was the dog piling , right? He was literally stampeded and squeezed to death, correct?

The choke hold was the "instigator" causing him to go into acute bronchospasm. The immediate actions before of him struggling resisting arrest, probably made him short of breath, increased his heart rate. Followed by the chokehold, and due to his neck/chin fat, seemed to occlude his airway. He stated he couldn't breathe indicating his perception of respiratory distress.

LE cuffed him and laid him on his SIDE, not his back as they should have done, further concluding his airway as his head was bent forward, not back which is what you would normally do. Laying on his side, he can't take deep breaths nor can he maintain his own airway as he lost consciousness. He is morbidly obese so imagine all that body fat as a force/weight inhibiting him from taking a deep breath. He did not "right" himself as the cop stood over him as he laid on his side, not removing the cuffs as he should have. Garner was not a threat at that point.

IIRC, Damage to major organ systems occurs after 4 minutes, however it may have occurred sooner in this case. The unedited video was 7 minutes and he had no supplemental O2 during those 7 minutes. I have no idea how long prior to that video he was in that condition. HTH. Anyone Please correct me where I don't have this right.

[h=1]Eric Garner grand jury rigged, says man who filmed chokehold[/h]“When I went to the grand jury to speak on my behalf, nobody in the grand jury was even paying attention to what I had to say,” Orta said. “People were on their phones, people were talking. I feel like they didn't give (Garner) a fair grand jury."

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/e...-man-filmed-chokehold-article-1.2033257#bmb=1

The choke hold was the "instigator" causing him to go into acute bronchospasm. The immediate actions before of him struggling resisting arrest, probably made him short of breath, increased his heart rate. Followed by the chokehold, and due to his neck/chin fat, seemed to occlude his airway. He stated he couldn't breathe indicating his perception of respiratory distress.

LE cuffed him and laid him on his SIDE, not his back as they should have done, further concluding his airway as his head was bent forward, not back which is what you would normally do. Laying on his side, he can't take deep breaths nor can he maintain his own airway as he lost consciousness. He is morbidly obese so imagine all that body fat as a force/weight inhibiting him from taking a deep breath. He did not "right" himself as the cop stood over him as he laid on his side, not removing the cuffs as he should have. Garner was not a threat at that point.

IIRC, Damage to major organ systems occurs after 4 minutes, however it may have occurred sooner in this case. The unedited video was 7 minutes and he had no supplemental O2 during those 7 minutes. I have no idea how long prior to that video he was in that condition. HTH. Anyone Please correct me where I don't have this right.

I have COPD (yet I still smoke). I can't get to sleep on my back, so I sleep on my side. I wake up several times a night because I just can't get enough oxygen. The ONLY way I can get my breath again is to sit bolt upright in the bed so that my lungs are fully distended and not cramped up. It just broke my heart to hear him saying "I can't breathe". I know what that feels like, yet as you mentioned in an earlier post of yours, the cops apparently thought he was FAKING.

<snip> But then things changed. As the struggle continued, one of Officer Pantaleo&#8217;s arms moved around Mr. Garner&#8217;s neck. Officer Pantaleo told the grand jury that he became fearful as he found himself sandwiched between a much larger man and a storefront window.

&#8220;He testified that the glass buckled while Garner was up against him and he was against the glass,&#8221; Mr. London said. &#8220;He was concerned that both he and Garner would go through that glass.&#8221;

On the video, the men toppled to the ground, but the arm around Mr. Garner&#8217;s neck did not appear to move. Officer Pantaleo told jurors he continued to hold on to Mr. Garner as he struggled to regain his balance, Mr. London said. He said he wanted to make sure that Mr. Garner was not injured by other officers rushing in, as well as to prevent Mr. Garner from possibly biting one of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/n...ury-he-meant-no-harm-to-eric-garner.html?_r=1

[h=1]Eric Garner grand jury rigged, says man who filmed chokehold[/h]&#8220;When I went to the grand jury to speak on my behalf, nobody in the grand jury was even paying attention to what I had to say,&#8221; Orta said. &#8220;People were on their phones, people were talking. I feel like they didn't give (Garner) a fair grand jury."

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/e...-man-filmed-chokehold-article-1.2033257#bmb=1

Yikes! Is it legal for him to speak about this?

NM, I just checked the document and it says the jurors and the civil servants are not allowed to talk.

A horrific sad 3 minutes

http://time.com/3016326/eric-garner-video-police-chokehold-death/

more nuance - I am angry...............

at two EMTs and two paramedics were placed on &#8220;modified duty&#8221; pending an investigation into Garner&#8217;s death. The Fire Department said the emergency workers are employees of Richmond University Medical Center, the Staten Island hospital where Garner was taken by ambulance and pronounced dead.

ichmond University Medical Center said the four emergency workers have in fact been suspended without pay.

This was an active police officer. When you&#8217;re an active police officer, you&#8217;re going to get sued. He had over 300 arrests.&#8221;

But Ramsey Orta, the man who shot the now-famous video, said police were not arresting him for that offense at all.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) &#8212; NYPD procedures have been put under the microscope, and four emergency workers have now been suspended without pay, after a Staten Island man died in police custody last week.

Officials said Sunday that two EMTs and two paramedics were placed on &#8220;modified duty&#8221; pending an investigation into Garner&#8217;s death.
The Fire Department said the emergency workers are employees of Richmond University Medical Center, the Staten Island hospital where Garner was taken by ambulance and pronounced dead.
Richmond University Medical Center said the four emergency workers have in fact been suspended without pay.
Fire Department spokesman James Long said the Fire Department took action against the hospital&#8217;s emergency responders because it oversees the city&#8217;s 911 system, a patchwork of publicly and privately operated emergency services.

&#8220;This was an active police officer. When you&#8217;re an active police officer, you&#8217;re going to get sued. He had over 300 arrests.&#8221;

But Ramsey Orta, the man who shot the now-famous video, said police were not arresting him for that offense at all.Plain and simple, the police were harassing an innocent man,&#8221; Orta said.

He said Garner had actually just arrived to the scene to break up a fight between strangers when police arrived

&#8220;He was having problems breathing, and CPR was not conducted,&#8221; Ortiz said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07...staten-island-man-who-died-in-police-custody/

so much for charging any of the other officers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/n...land-chokehold-death-of-eric-garner.html?_r=0

In early September, the Staten Island district attorney, Daniel M. Donovan Jr., impaneled the grand jury to weigh evidence; it heard testimony from the officers involved and 22 civilian witnesses. All of the officers, with the exception of Officer Pantaleo, were granted immunity.

Selling Loose Cigarettes is Highly Profitable. It is comparable to pirating music or bootlegging booze.

The cigarette excise tax in New York is $4.35 per pack of 20 cigarettes. That amounts to a $43.50 tax for a single carton of cigs that contains ten packs.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-cigarette-tax-rates-2014

EG was illegally selling loose cigs. It is my understanding that EG's arrest record has been sealed. That should tell us something. The shopkeepers were constantly running him off because they pay their taxes while he did not; hence, EG could sell cigs cheaper than the stores. He probably threatened the shopkeepers that this was "his corner". IMO, EG continued with his illegal practice because it was highly profitable.

I've viewed the video copious times, esp. when it was first posted. EG did not have 5 cops on him. There were two on him; three near him. LEO are trained to take down an individual from behind if the perp is of a larger size. This was done by the PO using a head lock, JMO, and the assistance of another officer.

EG spoke: "I can't breathe" eight times. 8 times. A person who cannot breathe cannot speak 3 words eight different times. Even when laying on the ground, EG moved his arms to prevent being handcuffed. Therefore, while down on the sidewalk, EG continued to resist arrest.

To be clear, I am not supporting the PO's actions one way or the other. Medics were called to care and treat the perp. LEO do not carry oxygen with them.

Also, I am wary of folks claiming to be one of the GJ, esp. one stating the jurors were using their cellphones for I feel a judge would never allow such behavior.

I am eagerly anticipating the release of any and all info the DA chooses to allow us.

OMHO

Eric Garner grand jury rigged, says man who filmed chokehold

[FONT=Arial[B]]&#8220;When I went to the grand jury to speak on my behalf, nobody in the grand jury was even paying attention to what I had to say,&#8221; Orta said. &#8220;People were on their phones, people were talking. I feel like they didn't give (Garner) a fair grand jury."[/B]

BBM

I believe this is the guy who took the video of the incident and NOT an Grand Juror.

jmo

Here is what I think. We just had a rousing discussion about this in my home. It seems that the entire grand jury decision was based on facts that would result in a ' no bill'. The officer who put the choke hold on is NOT the one who caused his death by compression. The ' footballers' ( i will call them ) did so in the dogpile on top. None of them were up for indictment or not, correct? The cause of death not being from the throat where the choke hold was meant why even discuss whether or not that particular LEO should be indicted? The footballers were always in the clear but they were not a part of this process with the grand jury. Correct? I'm obviously very late to the case here and only know what I saw on the video. But it seems to me there is a ' loophole' of sorts as to why you would indict an officer who did not ' cause the death of' when the evidence proves other officers caused the death but those officers skate. Mooo and please correct me if I'm misinterpreting things here. I'm confused .

Selling Loose Cigarettes is Highly Profitable. It is comparable to pirating music or bootlegging booze.

The cigarette excise tax in New York is $4.35 per pack of 20 cigarettes. That amounts to a $43.50 tax for a single carton of cigs that contains ten packs.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-cigarette-tax-rates-2014

EG was illegally selling loose cigs. It is my understanding that EG's arrest record has been sealed. That should tell us something. The shopkeepers were constantly running him off because they pay their taxes while he did not; hence, EG could sell cigs cheaper than the stores. He probably threatened the shopkeepers that this was "his corner". IMO, EG continued with his illegal practice because it was highly profitable.

I've viewed the video copious times, esp. when it was first posted. EG did not have 5 cops on him. There were two on him; three near him. LEO are trained to take down an individual from behind if the perp is of a larger size. This was done by the PO using a head lock, JMO, and the assistance of another officer.

EG spoke: "I can't breathe" eight times. 8 times. A person who cannot breathe cannot speak 3 words eight different times. Even when laying on the ground, EG moved his arms to prevent being handcuffed. Therefore, while down on the sidewalk, EG continued to resist arrest.

To be clear, I am not supporting the PO's actions one way or the other. Medics were called to care and treat the perp. LEO do not carry oxygen with them.

Also, I am wary of folks claiming to be one of the GJ, esp. one stating the jurors were using their cellphones for I feel a judge would never allow such behavior.

I am eagerly anticipating the release of any and all info the DA chooses to allow us.

OMHO

1) he wasn't selling cigs for less than the stores otherwise he wouldn't be making a profit as he has to buy these cigs from the stores to begin with.
2) do you have any proof WHATSOEVER that he was threatening ANYBODY?
3) you should really watch the video again
4) if you are having trouble breathing, pretty sure you are gonna be able to mutter out the words "I can't breathe"... And it is true he couldn't breathe... I know this BECAUSE HE IS DEAD
5) you should really watch the video again
6) do you have a link that LE in NY do not carry O2
7)pretty sure you are supporting the PO's actions one way or another (more so, one way)
8) there is no resisting at any point in that video let alone while he has 4 cops hanging off of him
9) what are you talking about someone claiming to be a grand juror?

JMO

No, not quite like that. On the bottom of each pack of smokes there is a state stamp, that means the states have paid a tax on the smokes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_tax_stamp

New York State imposes an excise tax on cigarettes at the rate of $4.35 per package of twenty cigarettes. New York City imposes a local excise tax at the rate of $1.50 per package of twenty cigarettes, bringing the combined tax rate in New York City to $5.85. http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/cig/cigidx.htm The average price per pack in nyc is $12.85 http://www.theawl.com/2014/08/how-much-a-pack-of-cigarettes-costs-state-by-state

IIRC he was selling illegal smokes, which means imo they were purchased in a different state, cheaper. Then he was selling them loose, (one at a time) for probably like a $1.00 a piece, jmo
Bumping this for CoolJ

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 205.30 : NY Code - Section 205.30: Resisting arrest

A person is guilty of resisting arrest when he intentionally prevents or attempts to prevent a police officer or peace officer from effecting an authorized arrest of himself or another person. Resisting arrest is a class A misdemeanor.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/PEN/THREE/L/205/205.30

And from a Defense Attorney there....

What gives the police the "upper hand" when charging Resisting Arrest is that it merely takes minimal actions by the accused to satisfy the elements of the crime. For example, if you swing your arms or hold them up so that you cannot be handcuffed, that is likely sufficient to establish the crime. You need not behave violently. Certainly, the specific facts of your case must be analyzed, but if you intentionally try to stop the police from effectuating an authorized arrest it is likely you will face this charge. If convicted as an adult, this crime will permanently remain on your record.

http://www.new-york-lawyers.org/lawyer-attorney-2284163.html

1) he wasn't selling cigs for less than the stores otherwise he wouldn't be making a profit as he has to buy these cigs from the stores to begin with.
2) do you have any proof WHATSOEVER that he was threatening ANYBODY?
3) you should really watch the video again
4) if you are having trouble breathing, pretty sure you are gonna be able to mutter out the words "I can't breathe"... And it is true he couldn't breathe... I know this BECAUSE HE IS DEAD
5) you should really watch the video again
6) do you have a link that LE in NY do not carry O2
7)pretty sure you are supporting the PO's actions one way or another (more so, one way)
8) there is no resisting at any point in that video let alone while he has 4 cops hanging off of him
9) what are you talking about someone claiming to be a grand juror?

JMO

As to #1 (selling loose cigs.) I assumed he was selling bootlegged or stolen cigs. or from states with lower taxes. However, you could be right. I just have trouble believing he could make a living buying them from the stores & then selling them individually.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette
Back