NY NY - Patrick Alford, 7, Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing boy Patrick Alford: Judge won't approve law firm's bid to work with cops on closed case

A federal judge has nixed a powerhouse law firm's bid to work with city cops hunting for missing 8-year-old Patrick Alford, who vanished from a city-monitored foster home.

[snip]

"We are concerned that the intrusion of a private investigator could be a detriment to the well being of a child who may have been kidnapped and whose life may be in danger," city lawyer Suzanne Halbardier said in court papers.

:banghead:

Also...closed case??!? CLOSED case??? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I really hope that is just poor wording by the reporter. Cold? Perhaps. But the case is most definitely not closed!

Suzanne Halbardier is the same attorney that represented the city of NY & Children's svcs in the lawsuit filed by Patrick's mother....
They don't want the their actions exposed even if it could mean finding Patrick. If they're so concerned about the child's welfare, WTH would they close the case & how could sharing the info with someone who wants to actively LOOK FOR HIM put him at risk ? Child's best interest ? Right. They'll keep hiding behind that. They don't even have to say what the risk is or what his best interests are.

http://www.law360.com/cases/4d36dae04017a250bf000064

"Our only interest in requesting the investigative file is to seek the safe return of our client," Skadden lawyer Jonathan Lerner said in court papers quoted by the Daily News. " It is hard to believe the city would stubbornly deny this missing child the advantage of having a highly professional private investigation firm join the effort to locate him if he were from a more privileged and influential background."

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2011/08/judge_denies_law_firms_request.html

How hard is this to understand?!? FIND PATRICK! That is all that matters!!! Nobody's ego matters. PATRICK is what matters.

I shudder to think what might have happened to Patrick and what could still be happening to him. Such a little boy in a big city......

Skadden Up Against NYPD in Search for Missing Boy

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom, attorneys involved in an unusual pro bono case--trying to find a boy who went missing from a Brooklyn foster home in early 2010--are butting heads with the New York City Police Department over their desire to review case files documenting the investigation into the child's disappearance.

Jonathan Lerner, counsel in Skadden's New York office, agreed to represent Patrick Alford pro bono on June 6 after being asked to do so by U.S. Magistrate Judge John Gleeson.

[snip]

After determining that neither parent was fit to represent Alford's interests, Gleeson tapped Lerner to act as the boy's independent counsel.

Since joining the case, Lerner has battled the NYPD over access to the department's files on the Alford investigation. [...] "it would be futile to commence our own attempt to locate [Alford] without learning what actions had been undertaken."

Attorneys for the city responded with a letter of their own, saying outside involvement in the case "would interfere with and thus jeopardize the ongoing investigation."

[snip]

In court papers, Lerner has suggested there may be bias at work in how the police department is handling the Alford case. "It is hard to believe the City would stubbornly deny this missing child the advantage of having a highly professional private investigation firm join the effort to locate him if he were from a more privileged and influential background," he writes.

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2011/08/skaddenmissingchild.html

FWIW, after thinking this over, I can actually see both sides of this.

I can't think of ANY case where a *private* investigator and/or attorneys have been granted access to case files *before* a missing person is found. That is typically highly confidential information. Having that information out there really could jeopardize the investigation for Patrick. It could jeopardize the potential suspects and persons of interest, potential evidence, etc.

On the other hand, I'm assuming they just want to find Patrick. However, the fact that they were appointed to represent Patrick after his mother sued ACS makes me wonder.

I guess I just don't know what the answer is here. Patrick's case is still OPEN and ACTIVE with NYPD. And, nobody is stopping the attorneys and private investigators from doing their own investigation on the side and looking for Patrick. They just can't see the files...but that would help...

I don't know. :( Patrick just needs to be found.

Skadden vs. NYPD in the Case of the Missing Boy

Blue-chip firm Skadden Arps is throwing its considerable resources behind the sort of case that we have to imagine is pretty rare in the halls of the AmLaw 200.

It involves a missing 8-year-old boy who vanished from a New York City foster home in early 2010.

[snip]

An interesting twist in the case is that Skadden is being accused by the New York Police Department of being overly meddlesome in its efforts to find its client, the Daily News reports.

More: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/08/04/skadden-vs-nypd-in-the-case-of-the-missing-boy/

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2011/08/skaddenmissingchild.html

August 4, 2011 4:28 PM
Posted by Sara Randazzo

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom attorneys involved in an unusual pro bono case--trying to find a boy who went missing from a Brooklyn foster home in early 2010--are butting heads with the New York City Police Department over their desire to review case files documenting the investigation into the child's disappearance.

It looks like they have questioned Leiby's killer in Patrick's case.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/sanity-is-next-issue-in-brooklyn-boys-killing/

Investigators, though, had looked into a potential pattern in Mr. Aron’s life. In an interview with the police after his arrest, Mr. Aron was asked about another missing Brooklyn child, named Patrick Alford Jr., and he told them he had “never seen this child” and that if he knew what happened to him, he would tell them.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/famous_brags_vile_leiby_killer_V9g0FBAc0c8HoERApobovJ

Detectives also questioned Aron about Patrick Alford, another missing Brooklyn boy, but he denied knowing him.

It looks like they have questioned Leiby's killer in Patrick's case.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/sanity-is-next-issue-in-brooklyn-boys-killing/

Investigators, though, had looked into a potential pattern in Mr. Aron’s life. In an interview with the police after his arrest, Mr. Aron was asked about another missing Brooklyn child, named Patrick Alford Jr., and he told them he had “never seen this child” and that if he knew what happened to him, he would tell them.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/famous_brags_vile_leiby_killer_V9g0FBAc0c8HoERApobovJ

Detectives also questioned Aron about Patrick Alford, another missing Brooklyn boy, but he denied knowing him.

I'm relieved to read LE did specifically ask LA about Patrick. I tend to believe his answer of no, for the most part. Especially after it was recently released (posted in LK's thread) LA led LE to the remains he discarded in the dumpster, when it was originally reported (iirc) LE noticed that particular dumpster because it wasn't closed properly.

I am not yet ready to rule out LA's involvement in Patricks disappearance. I would be after LE reviews the clothing found in LA's apartment and can rule out none was the clothing Patrick was last seen wearing. IF it was Patricks size and I am still wondering if LE will be conducting any forensic testing on that childrens clothing found in LA's home. Was it new with tags and never worn? Used from a resale shop?

Still a lot of questions regarding LA but I am more than 50% on him having no involvement in Patricks case.

I am happy to see those following LK's case now being aware of Patricks disappearance.

Still praying Patrick is out there safely.

ITA, Cubby. Most recent articles about LA indicate that he's been saying, "I'm famous!" Well, if he was just after fame, wouldn't admitting to killing another little boy essentially make him MORE famous? Probably. I tend to think if he was involved with Patrick, he would have said so, but you just never know.

ITA, Cubby. Most recent articles about LA indicate that he's been saying, "I'm famous!" Well, if he was just after fame, wouldn't admitting to killing another little boy essentially make him MORE famous? Probably. I tend to think if he was involved with Patrick, he would have said so, but you just never know.

If LA is proud of being famous wouldn't this be the time to start confessing to anything and everything like so many other killers have done. I'm not sure he had anything to do with Patrick.

I just wish they would find out where Patrick is and I hope and pray that he is alive!

I still have my eye on the foster Mom. JMHO

I still have my eye on the foster Mom. JMHO

I do find it very odd that the last known person to see Patrick, whose story has changed multiple times, has not taken a lie detector test (that we know of), and has been under far less scrutiny than pretty much everyone else associated with this case.

I'm not convinced that she had anything to do with it. I think that the timeline would have just been far too small for her to have done something. But at this point, anything is possible. And everything should be explored.

Just another article about Leiby's killer saying he didn't do anything to Patrick.

http://www.longislandexchange.com/articles/news/suicidewatchleviaron-080811.html

The alleged killer claimed to have had no affiliation with Patrick Alford, a child who vanished from foster care in January of last year. Nonetheless, followers of the case have wondered what other missing children's reports could be linked to the suspected killer.

Storeowners post 'Safe Stop' signs on windows to help lost kids

Before Leiby Kletzky was abducted and brutally murdered, he wandered the streets of Borough Park alone, lost and confused, on his first walk home from day camp.

The panicked 8-year-old had nowhere to turn for help - but now local storeowners want to take steps to keep Leiby's tragic ordeal from ever happening again.

[snip]

A tearful Blanca Toledo, the aunt of Patrick Alford, a Brooklyn child who went missing a year ago when he was 7, stood near Hynes during the press conference, wearing a T-shirt bearing Patrick's photo.

"I absolutely think this would have helped him," said Toledo of Patrick, with her two grandsons beside her.

Praying that you will be found alive............

Bumping for Patrick

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Metcalflovestruecrime
Back