NY - Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, murdered, 1993-94, John Biltroff *GUILTY* - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is what Michael Murphy's father Thomas Murphy had to say about James Burke. I must say I find it a little strange considering Michael Murphy was a suspect in Rita and Colleen's murders and managed to rise to the rank of Lt. His father was the chief of detectives.

Tom Murphy:
This guy is a disgrace to the SCPD and all the good and honest Officers
in the department. He never should have been allowed to climb the
ladder to where he is. His promotions should not have been allowed which
is perfectly legal under the civil service laws. County Executive
Bellone was absolutely aware of his past record and never should have
appointed him. The problem is that Burke was protected by very powerful
people and he was allowed to get away with it. Anyone in the know will
tell you it started all the way back before he was a cop when he was
used as a witness in the infamous John Pius Murder trial. From that
point on he had a "Rabbi " in the Suffolk County D.A.'s office

These are the comments from a Newsday article so should be within TOS. https://disqus.com/home/discussion/...eant_chief_james_burke_twice_lost_gun/oldest/

There must be very legitimate investigatory reason that Murphy was a suspect. If the DA or the PD cannot produce a written record of this reason there is going to be a huge problem for the prosecution. Probably involved in a prior entanglement with a hooker or of a criminal sexual content. What else could it be? Like the Gotham actor says in the Geico commercial "Better have a good answer"

There must be very legitimate investigatory reason that Murphy was a suspect. If the DA or the PD cannot produce a written record of this reason there is going to be a huge problem for the prosecution. Probably involved in a prior entanglement with a hooker or of a criminal sexual content. What else could it be? Like the Gotham actor says in the Geico commercial "Better have a good answer"
Did LE ever name him as a suspect? This is why LE should not tell the public who their suspects are. It could come back to bite them. It could be why LE wont contact John Ray for his list of suspects in the LISK case. Or not.

I am very curious what happened in 1998 to make Murphy a suspect. Sadly his 13 year old son committed suicide in 2012

The nude bodies of Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, were found nine miles apart in late 1993 and early 1994, respectively. Both women had been strangled and suffered severe head injuries. Investigators found wood shavings on both bodies, authorities said.

May 6, 10:27 AM EDT

EXPANDED DNA TESTING LEADS TO CHARGES IN 1990S SLAYINGS

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-05-06-10-27-37

I did not know defense attorneys can demand the names of other suspects in a case. I was shocked to find out Baez hired a woman to assist him in jury selection in the Casey Anthony case. She has a knack for knowing whos in the market for a bridge.

The nude bodies of Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, were found nine miles apart in late 1993 and early 1994, respectively. Both women had been strangled and suffered severe head injuries. Investigators found wood shavings on both bodies, authorities said.

May 6, 10:27 AM EDT

EXPANDED DNA TESTING LEADS TO CHARGES IN 1990S SLAYINGS

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-05-06-10-27-37

This article says "[FONT=&amp]Investigators found wood shavings on both bodies, authorities said." Here http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-charges-li-man-prosecutors-article-1.1887534 it's worded differently: "'[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Wood chips were found on both of the victims,' Suffolk County assistant district attorney Robert Biancavilla said while accused double-murderer John Bittrolff shook his head defiantly."

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]While I don't think there's a significant difference between wood chips and wood shavings I do find this odd that we're not talking about sawdust [/FONT]:waitasec:[FONT=&amp]. He's a carpenter. The only woodworking tools I can think of that create wood chips or wood shavings are:
Jointers & planers (both of these are more often stationary and not needed that frequently -more at the beginning of a project)
Drills -depending on the bit
Hand carving tools, biscuit jointers and maybe routers depending on the bit (these would be used seldom and only for more finishing work)

However, much more common carpentry tools create sawdust -any type of saw or sander, and some drill bits. Many of these are commonly portable. In woodshops and home projects it's sawdust that you have to sweep, that gets on your clothes and that you track into your vehicle. So, unless this is a simple matter of regional terminology (ie on LI sawdust is referred to as wood chips) I'm just caught on this detail.
[/FONT]

This article says "[FONT=&amp]Investigators found wood shavings on both bodies, authorities said." Here http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-charges-li-man-prosecutors-article-1.1887534 it's worded differently: "'[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Wood chips were found on both of the victims,' Suffolk County assistant district attorney Robert Biancavilla said while accused double-murderer John Bittrolff shook his head defiantly."

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]While I don't think there's a significant difference between wood chips and wood shavings I do find this odd that we're not talking about sawdust [/FONT]:waitasec:[FONT=&amp]. He's a carpenter. The only woodworking tools I can think of that create wood chips or wood shavings are:
Jointers & planers (both of these are more often stationary and not needed that frequently -more at the beginning of a project)
Hand carving tools, biscuit jointers and maybe routers depending on the bit (these would be used seldom and only for more finishing work)

However, much more common carpentry tools create sawdust -any type of saw or sander, and some drill bits. Many of these are commonly portable. In woodshops and home projects it's sawdust that you have to sweep, that gets on your clothes and that you track into your vehicle. So, unless this is a simple matter of regional terminology (ie on LI sawdust is referred to as wood chips) I'm just caught on this detail.
[/FONT]

Keahon asked the first witness, Det. James Johnson, if he saw any wood chips on or near Tangredi’s body when he examined the crime scene.
“I don’t recall seeing any,” Johnson said. “It was primarily plant material.”
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...e-man-accused-of-killing-two-women-1.13562114

Western sent me an article that says Rita was partially buried, like Muttontown Jane Doe? Is Muttontown Jane the next in the series after Colleen/Sandra?

Hawkshaw, why would the Detective "forget" about the wood chips? As the expert on dirty Suffolk cops, what do you think is going on here with Murphy? Surely you must have caught wind of something about why Murphy became a suspect in a serial murder case?

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

It makes me wonder if a planer or some such object was the murder weapon. The sawdust may literally be wood dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes me wonder if a planer or some such object was the murder weapon. The sawdust may literally be wood dust.

That's an interesting thought.
There hasn't been any revelation on what the ME determined the secondary (bludgeoning) murder weapon to be in addition to strangling has there?
If the murderer was doing renovation work that included using demolition tools like a framing hammer or wrecking bars it's *possible* there were wood chip or shaving remnants on them from taking down boards and studs. I don't want to be gory but *if* it's true the shavings were shavings and not sawdust, and *if* they weren't visible to the detective and in photos, perhaps they were embedded in wounds?

Kind of off-topic since these are more current/modern, but there are a lot of pretty freaky and disturbingly named demolition tools out there these days:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/a3452/4274987/

edited to add: of course the most obvious way the victims would have wood shavings on their bodies is if the material fell off the killer's clothes/coveralls or out of a tool belt onto them. that stuff gets everywhere.

This is a little off topic but Sandra Acosta was dismembered with a buzzsaw (and a knife). There has been some speculation that perhaps not all of the victims attributed to Schulman were his. Was a buzzsaw ever found in the Schulman investigation?

Grisly Slayings Baffle Cops: [CITY Edition]
By Russell Ben-Ali. STAFF WRITER. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]15 Aug 1992: 10.

Detres' body was found severed and placed into two black trash bags on a landing in a Brooklyn subway station on March 3, not far from the vacant lot where Acosta had been found five months earlier...
Both Brooklyn women had turned to drugs and prostitution, each disappearing several days before their bodies were discovered. Both had been strangled, their blood drained, their bodies cut up - Detres' with a knife, Acosta's with a knife and buzz saw.

IMO the blood draining also screams hunter.

Keahon asked the first witness, Det. James Johnson, if he saw any wood chips on or near Tangredi’s body when he examined the crime scene.
“I don’t recall seeing any,” Johnson said. “It was primarily plant material.”
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...e-man-accused-of-killing-two-women-1.13562114

Western sent me an article that says Rita was partially buried, like Muttontown Jane Doe? Is Muttontown Jane the next in the series after Colleen/Sandra?

*context on Muttontown Jane Doe from another thread*
I found an interesting victim I think could be related to Lattingtown Jane Doe. By the way I thjink this topic should be in the LISK forum in order to receive the proper attention. Latt Jane was buried which none of the LISK victims were and so was Muttown Jane Doe found very close by. If you look at Muttontown Rd where this Jane Doe was found buried off of in the preserve, 7 miles straight up Oyster Bay Rd turns right into Sheep Lane where Lattingtown Jane was found. Similar MO, very close in location, both buried, both unidentified and could be a similar time frame. Are we dealing with another LI serial killer who buries victims around this area of the north shore, or early victims of the LISK before he started dismembering? Could be early 90's victims.

http://nypost.com/2001/11/14/horrified-hikers-discover-skull/
By Kieran Crowely

Contact The Author
Name(required)
Email(required)
Comment(required)

November 14, 2001 | 5:00am

Hikers at a Long Island nature preserve made a grisly discovery – a human skull protruding from the ground.
The horrified hikers alerted police, who later unearthed the skull and an entire skeleton Sunday at the Muttontown Preserve in Muttontown.
Nassau County homicide detectives moved the remains to the Nassau County medical examiner’s office in East Meadow for an autopsy in a bid to discover the age and gender of the remains.

http://billyjensen.com/wp-content/themes/billjensen/pdfs/crime_stories/gold_coast_mystery.pdf

Here's some from the article where it describes how Rita was found:

Cops See Links In Deaths Of 3 Women: [NASSAU AND SUFFOLK Edition]

By Michele Salcedo. STAFF WRITER. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]27 May 1994: A07.

Beinlich's body was the first to be discovered. On Nov. 2, the driver of an all-terrain vehicle found the 31-year-old's body partially buried in an abandoned East Patchogue housing development. Prostitutes sometimes took their johns there, police said. At the time, investigators declined to say whether Beinlich, who had no known address, had prostitution in her background. Yesterday, Gierasch said she did.

The three women had certain similarities: all were white, around five feet tall, and no more than 125 pounds. And all were murdered, their nude bodies found in wooded areas within three months of each other.

Back in '94 detectives saw a connection between Costilla, McNamee, and Tangreti Beinlich.

Following an autopsy, the Suffolk Medical Examiner's Office said a blow to the head killed her, the same cause of death that would be found two months later for McNamee. But first, Sandra Costilla's body would turn up in the hamlet of North Sea, 18 days after Beinlich's.
On the surface, Costilla's killing does not appear to have much in common with McNamee's or Beinlich's. A Queens resident who sometimes used the name Cutello, she had no ties to the North Sea area. She had no background of prostitution, police said. The cause of death was strangulation.
"Because her body was found in very similar circumstances, as well as other information we've developed, we are not discounting the possibility her case is linked to the other two," said Gierasch.

I am of the suspicion that with at lest some cases in the area, particularly the Manorville Males, the connection may be methadone clinics or other treatment facilities. Here's something interesting about Colleen McNamee's case:

Parents Offer Reward For Capture of Killer[NASSAU Edition]
By Stuart Vincent. STAFF WRITER. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]20 Mar 1996: A.27.
Police and the McNamees, who announced their reward offers at Suffolk Police headquarters in Yaphank, said Colleen McNamee left from her drug-treatment program at the South Shore Treatment Center in Islandia with another outpatient at about 10 a.m. on the day she disappeared.
She was last seen getting into a small blue car in front of the Blue Dawn Diner in Islandia. The car drove east on Veteran's Memorial Highway.

I am of the suspicion that with at lest some cases in the area, particularly the Manorville Males, the connection may be methadone clinics or other treatment facilities. Here's something interesting about Colleen McNamee's case:

By Stuart Vincent. STAFF WRITER. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]20 Mar 1996: A.27.

There is an old thread about this from before Bittrolff was arrested. I think it's the rehab thread

Is this is it? http://www.southshorerehab.net/about.html It says Freeport but been in business 57 years. I'm not sure because Colleen's was called "South Shore Treatment" & this is "South shore rehab"

Anyway, it might be worth it to show employee's from the 90's sketches of FI Jane Doe and Manorville Jane Doe

Is this is it? http://www.southshorerehab.net/about.html It says Freeport but been in business 57 years. I'm not sure because Colleen's was called "South Shore Treatment" & this is "South shore rehab"

Anyway, it might be worth it to show employee's from the 90's sketches of FI Jane Doe and Manorville Jane Doe

That's a great idea to have rehab staff look at the Jane Does. I'm not sure if the South Shore Treatment Center moved and slightly changed their name, closed, was bought out by a different treatment center, etc. The diner where she was last seen appears to now be a Walgreens. I was hoping to find some record of the South Shore Treatment Center in a state agency record. No luck but on a side note I did find this list of Addiction Professionals Misconduct; I wish it went back further though https://oasas.ny.gov/credentialingVerification/verification/revoked.cfm

Yep I feel there is connection with a rehab clinic based on what was said to Mari Gilbert allegedly by Hackett or someone using his phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back