NY - Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20, murdered, 1993-94, John Biltroff *GUILTY* - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wiill killers roam free because of the acts of dirty cops?

Wiill killers roam free because of the acts of dirty cops?
Maybe...but not only are they dirty, they would have to almost as sick as the killer to allow it to go on. So is it someone with more power?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Maybe...but not only are they dirty, they would have to almost as sick as the killer to allow it to go on. So is it someone with more power?

NYPD cops could never get away with what SCPD get away with.

I have a feeling the Bittrolff case will end in a hung jury.

Who is the boss of them? It's almost like the old creature feature movie horror hotel. There is something evil. Almost feels like genocide.

Who is the boss of them? It's almost like the old creature feature movie horror hotel. There is something evil. Almost feels like genocide.

They rule a piece of land that streches out into the Atlantic Ocean. They feel untouchable.

It's possible that this ends in a hung jury, I agree.

The screw-ups in this case raise a lot of reasonable doubt *if* the jurors don't have 100% faith in the DNA evidence (which IMO is pretty solid based on testimony that the sperm was determined to have been left within 30 minutes of the women's deaths- the only way to wiggle out of that is to assert that the DNA evidence was corrupted or the killer was following Bittrolff around: neither of these scenarios is remotely plausible)

"But Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Robert Biancavilla said that while more than 50 suspects were tested, Mr. Bittrolff was the only one whose DNA matched what was found at both crime scenes. The bodies of both victims were discovered in wooded areas months apart more than 20 years ago. Mr. Biancavilla said a forensics expert testified that both women had sex within a half hour of dying."

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesre...n-accused-of-cold-case-killings-goes-to-jury/

"Mr. Biancavilla said both police officers were eliminated as suspects through DNA. He acknowledged that evidence in both cases were mistakenly destroyed and said it was due to a labeling error."

So I guess that's the answer as to whether DNA for either officer was tested.

What we don't have an answer for (but we all know what it is anyway) is why Officer Murphy was not only allowed to remain on the force but was promoted when he'd been accused by multiple prostitutes of rape.

Sounds like that's just been perks of the job for years now on LI.

GUILTY!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ts-john-bittrolff-of-double-murder-1.13783590

A Suffolk County jury Wednesday convicted John Bittrolff of two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of two women in 1993 and 1994.
Jurors last week told State Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro on both Wednesday and Thursday afternoon that they were deadlocked. But he sent them back to continue deliberating.

Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 12.
Bittrolff, 48, of Manorville, had been arrested in 2014 after DNA linked him to semen recovered from the bodies of both women, who worked as prostitutes. Both were strangled and badly bludgeoned — their skulls were crushed — and left naked and posed similarly, with their legs apart and one or both arms above their heads.

The victims were Rita Tangredi, 31, of East Patchogue and Colleen McNamee, 20, of Holbrook.
Tangredi was killed Nov. 2, 1993 off a dirt road that is now Esplanade Drive in East Patchogue. McNamee was found south of the Long Island Expressway service road in Shirley, just east of the William Floyd Parkway, on Jan. 30, 1994. She had been missing for more than three weeks.

WOW! I thought this case would end in a hung jury. There were holdouts. I wonder how many and what the deciding factor was that made them change their minds?

Wow! Now I wonder what this will lead to. Will he start being considered possibly responsible for other nearby murders? I highly doubt he only has 2-3 victims from the early 90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Now I wonder what this will lead to. Will he start being considered possibly responsible for other nearby murders? I highly doubt he only has 2-3 victims from the early 90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JB is probably responsible for the killing of Sandra Costilla. He was not charged because there was no DNA.

I believe forensics found sawdust on Colleen and Rita. It probably came from JB shop. That is consistant with the type of work he does. I think the jury got it right.

I believe forensics found sawdust on Colleen and Rita. It probably came from JB shop. That is consistant with the type of work he does. I think the jury got it right.

Snip

Biancavilla had argued during the trial that “wood chips” found on the bodies were part of Bittrolff’s “signature style” of killing. Biancavilla said the “wood chips” were a result of Bittrolff’s profession as a carpenter.

But there were never any actual wood chips, and they weren’t on the bodies. Forensic scientist Thomas Zaveski said what was actually recovered were microscopic particles, and they were found on the victims’ clothing.

Under a microscope, he determined that some of them could be wood, but others were plastic, metal foil or glass. Years later, almost all of this evidence — and photographs of them — were destroyed by the Suffolk Police Department.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ts-john-bittrolff-of-double-murder-1.13783590

Snip

Biancavilla had argued during the trial that “wood chips” found on the bodies were part of Bittrolff’s “signature style” of killing. Biancavilla said the “wood chips” were a result of Bittrolff’s profession as a carpenter.

But there were never any actual wood chips, and they weren’t on the bodies. Forensic scientist Thomas Zaveski said what was actually recovered were microscopic particles, and they were found on the victims’ clothing.

Under a microscope, he determined that some of them could be wood, but others were plastic, metal foil or glass. Years later, almost all of this evidence — and photographs of them — were destroyed by the Suffolk Police Department.

"Could be" should be enough to raise reasonable doubt. I'm not sure as I don't or can't get any read on bittrolf.

This is a mugshot of John Bittrolff taken 10/8/1990 by Suffolk County police and a sketch of an unknown man seen in the area at the time.

Karen Louise Wilson vanished in 1985, Police want to find him for questioning. (Photo Credit: Namus.gov)

Karen Louise Wilson was last seen on Wednesday, March 27, 1985 abt 7:30-8:00 PM in the Colonial Quad parking lot at The University of Albany (State University of New York or SUNY) in Albany, NY It is presumed that she was heading to her Colonial Quad dorm.

Karen was 5'3 and weighed 114 pounds </font>at the time of her abduction. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

http://deaniepeters-missingangels.blogspot.com/2013/09/karen-louise-wilson-missing-28-years.html

According to an article in TimesUnion.com, http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Out-of-sight-but-not-of-mind-4334152.php

Police believe that Karen was abducted near or in the parking lot to her dorm room.

Investigators ran a re-creation of an abduction scenario in a parking lot and timed it. The time it took for a bigger man to single handedly abduct a petite woman was only 10 seconds.

They theorize that a lone man in a car was waiting in the college parking lot for a target and saw Karen.

Although persons of interest have come and gone, and sex offenders have been looked at, police have a sketch of an unknown man seen

in the area at the time Karen vanished. They are not calling him a suspect, simply someone wanted for questioning..

Missing Since: March 27, 1985 from Albany, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: February 2, 1963
Height and Weight: 5'3, 114 pounds

Read more about Karen Louise Wilson at the links above and here on Websleuths at

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...any-27-March-1985&amp;p=11661305#post11661305
80051e00c2b59ee06de63373e2673317.jpg

Sent from my Z711 using Tapatalk
This sketch looks like Bittrolff. Theres also a second woman who disappeared from the area also.

The other woman that went missing from the same area as Karen Wilson is Suzane Lyall. She went missing in 1998. The circumstances are similar. I think the killer pulled a Bundy on them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anaaaa555
Back