NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped and BBM
Something just jumped out at me. If that was the last time "she heard from him", what about the reported 9AM phone call?

Somethings' just not jiving for me. :moo:

Ida might have been stating what she and Robert talked about during the 9am, Friday phone call.

They may have discussed the concert on the phone call the morning of the 14th. On the 15th Half Hollow Hills Little League (name for the Dix Hills little league) had an end of year party/carnival for the community. Free hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, drinks, giant blow up slides etc etc. A local band of boys played music at the event. I believe this is the "concert" she refers to that her son played in although, I'm not positive.

That's not what I meant. IM said that's the last time she spoke to him, but she spoke again at 9AM according to reports, so those statements are inconsistent---
I'm not speculating what they spoke about. She clearly states that when he left that morning. :seeya:

ETA: That video is ambiguous. It doesn't state what conversation she's referring to. I will assume it means the phone convo, but my initial thought went to when he left in the early AM.
I'm all confused. Nothing is clear with this case.

We all know who runs the carting business in metro NY area. It's no secret.

My town recently signed a new contract, it was very controversial.

Previously we paid for private carting, now it's town wide. No choice.

So the hints that the salvage/scrap industry are seedy is true IMO.

Getting back to RM, what exactly did he encounter? IDK.

I just want to say a big thanks to all the newbs who felt drawn here to find answers. Especially to the locals who have shared their insight.

:yourock:

:seeya::seeya::seeya:

Yes, this is correct. I actually asked her on the initial FB page that was set up. My initial thought was some sort of addiction - gambling, drugs and/or [/B]alcohol.. I don't necessarily buy into that anymore although it's still a possibility.

I've been thinking a lot today about what happened and have made some lists in my head trying to sort it out. Maybe I'll type here and see what happens.

Possibilities
Him leaving on his own accord - girlfriend, addiction, depressed, mental breakdown. Pros - has a new love, is fullfilling his addiction, is "free" or in a state of not knowing he is not thinking rationally. Cons - why leave his wife? why leave his kids? why leave his job?

I get that people leave but I just don't get the vibe with his story that he would leave everything behind. Why not just get a divorce? Why leave his job? You can make side money selling copper, scraps, etc. but it's certainly not a salary type job. It's more of a supplement.

Suicide - no body. No note. No signs of depression leading up to his disappearance.

Foul play - was he targeted? This does't scream robbery, car jacking, nor rape. Motive - money, jealousy, greed, past decisions that caught up to him, drugs, etc.

The wallet being left - has it been stated that his bank card, credit cards, and ID were in the wallet? Could any have been taken out? Could he have had another ID. Maybe had reported his lost and had a copy months ago and held on to both?

The bike? Why is IR not talking about this?

I have to admit, I am starting to wonder about people closest to him now.. I hate to say it.

Sorry, this was me typing to myself. LOL

No disrespect intended to RM's wife, but she seems to be aware of his every move ? Seems to need to keep tabs on him...jmo Why ?

I think if he left his family, IM would know it. I would imagine that there would have been somethings that he would have taken that would be signs (cash? a missing photo of the kids?).

This is so perplexing! It's not like the guy simply dropped off the face of the earth doing his normal routine. He dropped off the face of the earth with abnormal last known behavior - at least as far as we know. His car was located in the last place on earth he would ever park it. Somehow his mountain bike is missing. His wallet was left behind. And he went to a scrap metal place at a time when his phone was either dead or off. And then poof, not heard from again.

No disrespect intended to RM's wife, but she seems to be aware of his every move ? Seems to need to keep tabs on him...jmo Why ?

Maybe he's been depressed, maybe she suspects he's being unfaithful, maybe he's not been truthful or comes home late often? Who knows. I think it's best to wait to see if she becomes a suspect or POI before we get into her head.

I think if he left his family, IM would know it. I would imagine that there would have been somethings that he would have taken that would be signs (cash? a missing photo of the kids?).

This is so perplexing! It's not like the guy simply dropped off the face of the earth doing his normal routine. He dropped off the face of the earth with abnormal last known behavior - at least as far as we know. His car was located in the last place on earth he would ever park it. Somehow his mountain bike is missing. His wallet was left behind. And he went to a scrap metal place at a time when his phone was either dead or off. And then poof, not heard from again.

We just finished a case last week on a woman who was seemingly happy, in the middle of a custody battle she was easily winning. Turns out she walked away from it all. We sleuthers were shocked and so was her boyfriend who was spear-heading searches.

Sometimes people just get tired of their lives and move on. It is a much better alternative than finding his body IMO.

Eliza, Ever since this scrap metal place came into the picture, it has me thinking more and more that PERHAPS it was EXACTLY his normal routine. Start with the wallet, maybe its something that he forgot often (although I find it odd, maybe he was just absent minded). Ida Mayer has spoken in absolutes about other things in the case "never,always, etc". But she didn't speak about forgetting the wallet like that.

Let's speculate---Assuming he has left the wallet before, maybe he did keep his normal routine. Went to work, his behavior wasn't reported abnormal by coworkers. Left work at his normal time, maybe an hour early, but hey it was Friday, maybe he just cut out a bit early.

Stopped at the scrap metal yard like he normally did on Fridays before he went home to have some extra spending cash for the weekend. If he was seen at the scrap metal yard 2:15sh, he could have easily been home for 3pm, right at his NORMAL time his wife expected him to.

Except for the little fact that remains he never did make it home. Something went awry either during his visit to that yard, or right after he left. But under this theory, his day was exactly normal until 2:15pm.

Except for the little fact that remains he never did make it home. Something went awry either during his visit to that yard, or right after he left. But under this theory, his day was exactly normal until 2:15pm.

We REALLY need to get the family to admit that he arrived home. We waited weeks for the information about him going to the scrap yard after work. We also waited weeks to find out that his mountain bike is missing. Why not just admit that he came home for 10 minutes? As mentioned previously, I'd love to get confirmation that his cell phone was left at home AFTER he stopped home and that they are in possession of it.

We are trying to help.. too many people close to the family know this information.. please stop lurking and chime in.

We REALLY need to get the family to admit that he arrived home. We waited weeks for the information about him going to the scrap yard after work. We also waited weeks to find out that his mountain bike is missing. Why not just admit that he came home for 10 minutes? As mentioned previously, I'd love to get confirmation that his cell phone was left at home AFTER he stopped home and that they are in possession of it.

We are trying to help.. too many people close to the family know this information.. please stop lurking and chime in.

Maybe, as mentioned before, the family wasn't home if he came back after work. He could have picked up a few insignificant things they might not have even noticed and left his wallet in the garage...

Maybe he's been depressed, maybe she suspects he's being unfaithful, maybe he's not been truthful or comes home late often? Who knows. I think it's best to wait to see if she becomes a suspect or POI before we get into her head.

Yep, any of those things could be true. I have never thought of her as a POI.For several reasons. Not so much wanting to "get into her head " as wondering why she seemed to be so vigilant of RM. He may well have been depressed, that's a good point you make. jmo

The information gaps and inconsistencies are frustrating :banghead::scared:

At five weeks since gone missing, seems to me that it would be prudent for both family & law enforcement to just lay out what they know - all factual details. Unless LE is building a case on unreleased information, I do not see what harm it would do.

Re: the cell phone. Do we know if there was one (RM's personal cell) and a second phone (company phone)?
In one of the early local media reports, IM answered a question - she said "his company phone and the car were being processed". Did RM basically use the company phone for work and personal calls? Did he carry 2 phones daily? Was the company phone that was "being processed" found in his car? Left at the house? What phone was RM using when he spoke with his wife Friday morning? Did the phone(s) RM was carrying on Friday have GPS feature enabled or "find my phone"? Oh, and map out all the pings with time/locations. We sure would like to get these details.

snipped by me

I do not think the scrap metal sighting had anything to do wth his diappaearance. Maybe he needed money to get away.

Respectfully, the last two sentences contradict each other. If he needed cash to get away the scrap metal sighting is a vital clue. I wonder whether he sold the bike at the scrap metal place? Disassembled it first and sold the parts? Does that make sense at all?

But otoh if he had done so LE would probably know this, I assume they interviewed employees there and know what he sold, if anything.

Could he have gone to the place for other reasons than to sell something? Talk with someone, meet someone?

I wonder why LE cancelled the dog search of the scrap yard.

I am from Long Island, and cannot believe the utter lack of news coverage of this case. We have 2 news sources, Newsday (newspaper) and News12 (TV station) and Newsday has never even run 1 article about this case. News12 picked it up briefly but has dropped it like a hot potato. Is the lack of coverage because RM is a man? What if he was a woman, and mother? Would this case get more coverage in the media then? I keep thinking to myself, if I went missing, I hope there would be more media coverage! The media is not helping in this case........

I am from Long Island, and cannot believe the utter lack of news coverage of this case. We have 2 news sources, Newsday (newspaper) and News12 (TV station) and Newsday has never even run 1 article about this case. News12 picked it up briefly but has dropped it like a hot potato. Is the lack of coverage because RM is a man? What if he was a woman, and mother? Would this case get more coverage in the media then? I keep thinking to myself, if I went missing, I hope there would be more media coverage! The media is not helping in this case........

Agreed! I don't understand why Newsday has not one word about this case. It's disturbing. We need an investigative reporter to start digging into this. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zorboz