NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife looks very calm in the fios interview. She does not seem distraught. Maybe she has accepted hes not coming back. Maybe she knows more and is not saying anything. From the start, this case had so many inconsistencies. Now there might have been a bike and the police are still saying nothing criminal about this case. So did he kill himself or did he run away from his old life and start a new one? The key is that conversation she had with her husband for 45 minutes while he was at work???
I do not think the scrap metal sighting had anything to do wth his diappaearance. Maybe he needed money to get away.

Does anyone have a link where the wife states she spoke to him for 45 minutes that morning? All I could find is her saying they spoke, but not for how long.

Does anyone have a link where the wife states she spoke to him for 45 minutes that morning? All I could find is her saying they spoke, but not for how long.

IIRC, it may have been a facebook derived statement concerning the length of the conversation being 45 minutes. It might have been, but I don't think we can consider it fact. It may be considered fact that Robert and Ida did speak via phone that morning he arrived to work, however.

Jerry516, very interesting. To add to the theory, perps would have his car keys to drive the car to train station, short guy gets in car and moves the seat up.

Here's a horrible question, do scrap yards have "crushers" to crush metal? Do most accept crashed cars that get crushed? I hate to think this way.

Curious, I was thinking the same exact thing, I just didnt want to get graphic! But most larger scrap metal places have machinery such as you described, and the thought of it is horrible. I thought of this possibility, but then I started wondering if I just watched too much of the Sopranos back in the day.

It would definitely make sense, but it appears to be excessive if it was a simple cash problem gone wrong.

IIRC, it may have been a facebook derived statement concerning the length of the conversation being 45 minutes. It might have been, but I don't think we can consider it fact. It may be considered fact that Robert and Ida did speak via phone that morning he arrived to work, however.

For all we know, it was 4 or 5 minutes that somehow got twisted to 45 minutes. Seems like an awful long time to talk while at work, IMO. Just doesn't sound right to me.

Welcome to WS Vedder. Glad you have joined our discussion.

While I've not see any "official" reference to the time frame of 45 minutes phone conversation, I did see there was a call Friday morning.

Jerry516, I'm assuming your on the Island. I've noticed people acting crazy the last few months. I don't know what it is, aftermath of Sandy, fear of economy, fear of the next Sandy, just people giving up???? I've seen horrible road rage, erratic driving, reports of fights, stabbings, etc, etc. Are we all just going crazy on this Island? So a fight over money I can believe. He's been missing 5 weeks with no trace. While I want to believe he is alive, I'm starting to feel otherwise. The scrap metal storyline has me feeling this way.

I feel it IS important because of inconsistencies in the story all along. Unfortunately, there is no investigative journalist and little info out there.
I have a few suspicions

M first thought was he left on his own. I'm now leaning towards foul play.

I am right with you Bunny.....BEFORE this whole scrap metal place came up, I was pretty much convinced he had walked away from his life volunatarily for whatever reason.

The minute I saw the scrap metal yard, I did a complete "180" As Clemenza has stated there are MANY of these places within a mile of the Deer Park Station. MANY of these places are stereotypically "shady". It would be relatively easy and plausible to think they would drive the car and leave it at the station if they had caused some harm to RM.

Ida indicates he would never ride the train or leave the car there.... assuming the perp is from the scrap metal facility (employee,customer,etc), they would have NO way of knowing that, and after committing a crime, the train station would be the PERFECT place to leave the car (think of the driver's seat being pulled up). IT TOTALLY FITS!

But...I have 2 questions...

1-EXACT ADDRESS of this scrap yard?

2-WHO exactly spotted him at the scrap metal yard? (if it was employees of the shop and they acknowledged to LE that he was there, this would sort of tell me they are innocent, and something happened AFTER he left--which might revert me back to my first thoughts that he left voluntarily and just wanted some extra cash for the road).

Jerry516, I'm assuming your on the Island. I've noticed people acting crazy the last few months. I don't know what it is, aftermath of Sandy, fear of economy, fear of the next Sandy, just people giving up???? I've seen horrible road rage, erratic driving, reports of fights, stabbings, etc, etc. Are we all just going crazy on this Island? So a fight over money I can believe. He's been missing 5 weeks with no trace. While I want to believe he is alive, I'm starting to feel otherwise. The scrap metal storyline has me feeling this way.

Curious, I live in Dix Hills area also, and I know the area well. While things have been VERY ROUGH on Long Island for most people due to high cost of living, Hurricane Sandy, etc.... My feeling is our surronding neighborhoods of Commack and Dix Hills don't appear as affected as MANY of the South Shore Towns that got hit pretty badly. However, that doesnt account for high unemployment, layoffs, etc...or account for anybody he could have associated with that day.
This area does appear solid,and the Mayer's don't APPEAR they are hurting for money, but who knows?

I agree that this scrap metal storyline has me seriously thinking he unfortunately is no longer alive.

According to reports of a K9 search that was scheduled, it would be Arrow Scrap on Kean St in West Babylon. What is interesting is that Robert is from Old Bethpage which is not far away.

:seeya::seeya::seeya:
He is Local 3 union. I believe the wife said he was not paid that day.

Yes, this is correct. I actually asked her on the initial FB page that was set up. My initial thought was some sort of addiction - gambling, drugs and/or alcohol.. I don't necessarily buy into that anymore although it's still a possibility.

I've been thinking a lot today about what happened and have made some lists in my head trying to sort it out. Maybe I'll type here and see what happens.

Possibilities
Him leaving on his own accord - girlfriend, addiction, depressed, mental breakdown. Pros - has a new love, is fullfilling his addiction, is "free" or in a state of not knowing he is not thinking rationally. Cons - why leave his wife? why leave his kids? why leave his job?

I get that people leave but I just don't get the vibe with his story that he would leave everything behind. Why not just get a divorce? Why leave his job? You can make side money selling copper, scraps, etc. but it's certainly not a salary type job. It's more of a supplement.

Suicide - no body. No note. No signs of depression leading up to his disappearance.

Foul play - was he targeted? This does't scream robbery, car jacking, nor rape. Motive - money, jealousy, greed, past decisions that caught up to him, drugs, etc.

The wallet being left - has it been stated that his bank card, credit cards, and ID were in the wallet? Could any have been taken out? Could he have had another ID. Maybe had reported his lost and had a copy months ago and held on to both?

The bike? Why is IR not talking about this?

I have to admit, I am starting to wonder about people closest to him now.. I hate to say it.

Sorry, this was me typing to myself. LOL

I'm sure this link has been posted a few times, I didn't go back and check but it's interesting to me that based on this link, she thinks that there is a third party involved which leads me to think that she doesn't necessarily think he has harmed himself.

Robert Mayer has been missing since he failed to come home from work on June 14, but Ida Mayer is sure her husband did not run away from his family and life in Dix Hills. She believes a third party is involved.

http://www.longislandernews.com/papers/hills/news/news1.html

Sorry for the multiple postings. I'm at work so am doing this in segments between working. I don't think I had ever read this and if so, forgot so I'm posting to share for the other's who haven't as well.

"We were talking about our son's concert the next day, which he never would have missed. Then he said goodbye, I love you," she recalled. That was the last she heard from him.

http://commack.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/week-in-review-search-continues-for-robert-mayer

For all the newbees that joined Websleuths on this case....... you are now an official :websleuther:

Your posts and comments are valuable.

Could her checkered past (which I gather we are not allowed to discuss) have caused someone hurt by her to seek revenge on her or her family? As Michael Corleone said, "when they come, they come at what you love". She herself has stated that she believes a third party is involved.

Could her checkered past (which I gather we are not allowed to discuss) have caused someone hurt by her to seek revenge on her or her family? As Michael Corleone said, "when they come, they come at what you love". She herself has stated that she believes a third party is involved.

Hmmm, let's see..... who runs all the trash/rubbish businesses in the metro area? :twocents:

snipped and BBM
Something just jumped out at me. If that was the last time "she heard from him", what about the reported 9AM phone call?

Somethings' just not jiving for me. :moo:

They may have discussed the concert on the phone call the morning of the 14th. On the 15th Half Hollow Hills Little League (name for the Dix Hills little league) had an end of year party/carnival for the community. Free hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, drinks, giant blow up slides etc etc. A local band of boys played music at the event. I believe this is the "concert" she refers to that her son played in although, I'm not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee