NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long Island ave in Deer Park is loaded with auto wreckers/scrap yards/salvage. They are all within close proximity to RM's home, Deer Park train station, Edgewood Preserve.

From what I undertand there are cameras in the scrap yards. I still lean towards he wanted to start a new life, parked the car at the train station and staged it,the seat being up etc. Ther are so many inconsistencies. In my opinion, I think the wife knows more than she is saying. Another thing that concerns me is there are little details about the case in the media. Just my opinion.

JustyThoughts, I believe the reference to the sighting at scrap metal yard was noted in the CUE link a few pages back. It stated last sighting was at 2:15, as opposed to car pulling out of driveway. It was new info.

Thanks CuriousAmI. Yes, I remember that the last sighting at a scrap metal yard was in the CUE link and that made the last "known sighting" of RM as far as timeline.
Seems I may not have been clear in my earlier post. The part/detail I am wondering about ..... is how (who) the sighting report that RM was at the scrap yard was originally reported to authorities. Ex: Did the business/a worker there see the missing poster and call LE or family? Or was RM's being there determined some other way. A couple pages back, I suggested that a local news reporter get over to the business and ask some questions (such as why was he there, how long, his demeanor, was he alone, etc.) Thanks CuriousAmI for helping me see the need to clarify.

I have a 16 camera surveillance system in my place of business. If I had done something wrong you better believe that first of all the recorder would have immediately disappeared and as time allowed, promptly replaced. Unless the scrap yard clue was available immediately and LE knew exactly which one to go to to retrieve tapes, the evidence is long gone.

I agree I think he split possibly with a girlfriend. There are only two possibilities either he is alive or deceased. If he's alive he left of his own volition. However, if the latter then there are several possibilities and the scrap metal site comes under scrutiny!

Now I just watched the fios news about yesterdays' search. It now says he was on a mountain bike?? This case gets weirder and weirder.

Your welcome, JustyThoughts! At the risk of getting in trouble (yikes), posts on FB Robert Mayer Search Group state someone heard that cops were going to search a scrap metal yard in West Babylon with K-9s but search never took place (this part was just posted an hour ago about no search) so I assume a family member shared the info with CUE. I know FB posts are not allowed as fact, but its sort of the only source for info what with LE and the press being so quiet.

Yes, don't know what the deal with the bike is? They mentioned the possibility of a bike missing. Also, IM seems to be much calmer then in previous videos. She me be starting to believe he left on his own too.

I agree I think he split possibly with a girlfriend. There are only two possibilities either he is alive or deceased. If he's alive he left of his own volition. However, if the latter then there are several possibilities and the scrap metal site comes under scrutiny!

That's the way I am leaning. It doesn't seem like they were hurting for money. I can't think of any other reason to sell scrap metal other than to have an unaccounted for fund. Hubs is a plumber, so he gets a lot of old pipes. We save our scrap money for vacations or emergencies, but we both know and agree on where it is allocated. Plus, it was a Friday. Likely he was paid on Fridays (I haven't researched if he is union, but most union guys get paid weekly).

ETA: Kind of contradictory, but I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that she did not know about his scrap sales. She, obviously, could have and knew his routine was to go on Friday afternoons to the scrap yard and that's how the information came to light.

He is Local 3 union. I believe the wife said he was not paid that day.

snipped>

Thanks for your post BunnyHop. The more I read all the mixed reports on who found his car, why they looked there and why it was there .... I have come to think that the part of who found is not really that significant - though I could be wrong. I see it as.... he was missing; family/friends stepped in immediately to help look, someone likely suggested the train station, and lo and behold there was his car. I think maybe LE was then contacted and they took the car to determine any evidence or such..... just my opinion only.

I feel it IS important because of inconsistencies in the story all along. Unfortunately, there is no investigative journalist and little info out there.
I have a few suspicions

M first thought was he left on his own. I'm now leaning towards foul play.

Now I just watched the fios news about yesterdays' search. It now says he was on a mountain bike?? This case gets weirder and weirder.

What exactly was said? I have no sound here. TIA

One of the search and rescue personnel stated: " we look for what he was wearing, items he may have been carrying. It was stated he might have a mountain bike"

Also, IM said "I hope he is alive somewhere"

I feel it IS important because of inconsistencies in the story all along. Unfortunately, there is no investigative journalist and little info out there.
I have a few suspicions

M first thought was he left on his own. I'm now leaning towards foul play.

I'm leaning towards suicide. It explains all the quietness and missing information. My guess is his wife and a few insider friends suspect this happened. LE knows about the possibility and that's why they don't believe a crime has been committed, yet call him endangered. It also explains why searches are being conducted in unusual places. It all fits imo.

What exactly was said? I have no sound here. TIA

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375

Captain Timothy Byrnes, Forest Ranger, said, "...It was stated that he might have a mountain bike..."

He used the word, "might", and he no one mentioned that anyone in the Mayer family had a mountain bike or that a mountain bike was missing, I don't think we can say this is fact. It might be, but we just don't know at this point.

Hi everyone, longtime lurker here, but I registered to weigh in on this case. I grew up in the Deer Park / Dix Hills area and this case drew me in from the beginning.

At first my thoughts were going between RM harming himself or walking away from his life. If reading between the lines of what IM states - “We are heartbroken and believe he is hurt” and her statement regarding her daughter being in denial, with a list of things to show Daddy when he gets home, it leads me to believe he said something to her to indicate he may harm himself or that he was not planning to come home. How would the daughter expecting her father to come home mean she’s in denial? It’s denial if you know he’s not coming home but can’t face it. As for searching in the preserve, she may believe that after parking the car at the train station he went deep into the Edgewood preserve, to harm himself.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/f...ssing-man-robert-mayer-of-dix-hills-1.5499513

I would think that if he told her that he was leaving and no mention of harming himself, why would you search the preserve? In that case I’d assume he hopped a train to wherever he was going off to. Which still doesn’t make sense, why not take his car if he was leaving voluntarily? Why do this to your children?

Now, with the latest regarding his last being seen in a scrap yard, I feel uneasy. Without knowing if it is his regular practice to visit scrap yards, it could be a normal stop he’d make at the end of the week for extra cash. If not, was he meeting someone? Scrap dealers, for the most part, do require ID. However, there are some shady places where no questions are asked but they’re more middle-of-the-night places in the Bronx.

Because of the lack of camera surveillance at the Deer Park train station (which honestly blows my mind knowing it’s not the safest place), we don’t know when the car was driven there. Considering the spot it was parked in, I’d think it was late Friday night/Saturday morning. Is the car a 2 door or 4 door? I’m not clear on the driver’s seat – was it pulled up, as if a shorter person were driving, or the back of the seat pulled forward, as if getting something out of the back of a 2 door?

As for Pilgrim State – I don’t believe the search was meant for the parts of Pilgrim that are in use. I haven’t been there in years but it was a creepy place with abandoned buildings that kids would go to scare themselves silly. Those buildings were demolished about 10 years ago.

At 1:28 (of 1:58) in the video a uniformed gentleman (parks, forestry dept.?) says, “it was stated that he might have a mountain bike, so we’re looking for that”.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375

Perhaps RM stopped at a local scrap yard to purchase a bike? Sometimes smaller salvage yards will pluck better items out of the scrap heap and put them out front of their establishments to sell for cash. Even if RM’s wallet was left at home, he still might’ve had few bills in his pocket.

To me, the denial statement is not that unusual. When a person is missing for a week or longer without a trace, I think denial is thinking they WILL come hime safely. I think what her mom was saying is that the daughter refuses to consider that he won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zorboz