NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JustyThoughts, IMHO, scrap metal dealings can be legit or shady. A lot of scrap on LI is stolen from job sites, houses (drain pipes, etc). There are security cameras at all scrap metal places here due to the theft involvement. So, I just automatically had an "Oh Oh" feeling. Living on Long Island is very expensive, a lot of people are living well beyond their means, mortgages they can't afford, boats, cars, vacations. Was RM scrambling to make as much money as he could to keep his family afloat? Where there a lot of money arguments at home? The Italy trip being booked the night before he disappeared is also very interesting to me. You can get a few thousands for electrical scrap, and he did have a car to transport scrap in. I am by no means insinuating RM was a thief, perhaps got scrap legit, but I just have a sinking feeling he may have been scrambling for cash, and got into trouble somehow. According to all family pics I have seen, there were a lot of vacations, cruises, etc. Hope I'm not being hurtful here.

I just got caught up reading. I've been to our local scrap yard a couple of times. I'm not sure if it is just here in our state or what, but they are VERY strict about checking your ID. In fact they check it twice, first when you hand the guy the scrap to weigh and second when you go up to bring your ticket to get the cash. So, if he didn't have any ID....? I don't know, just thought I would mention it.

Also, is it possible either one of them was having an affair?

I just checked with my BF, yes, ID is required here on Long Island. Hmmm...no wallet. It ALWAYS comes back to the wallet.

Also too, because copper theft is so rampant these days, I'm pretty sure scrap yards are required by some local/state/federal regulation to have cameras and keep the footage. At our scrap yard, there is one at the window where you exchange your ticket for the cash. So, I think it is safe to assume he was caught on footage at the scrap yard.

I'm not sure if this has been posted. The latest from our small local weekly newspaper. Sorry if this is a repeat.

http://www.longislandernews.com/papers/hills/news/news1.html

Interesting change in reporting...

"Family, friends and members of St. Anthony’s High School, from which Robert graduated in 1985, have begun searching near the Deer Park LIRR station. His GTO was found by family near the station, although nobody knows why."

I just checked with my BF, yes, ID is required here on Long Island. Hmmm...no wallet. It ALWAYS comes back to the wallet.

It just doesn't add up.. how could he sell any scrap if he didn't have his wallet? last ping in Huntington at 1:45 could put him at the scrap place in West Babylon around 215 as reported.

It just doesn't add up.. how could he sell any scrap if he didn't have his wallet? last ping in Huntington at 1:45 could put him at the scrap place in West Babylon around 215 as reported.

I suppose it is possible that it was when he arrived at the scrap yard is when he realized he forgot his wallet at home. I suppose it is also possible that the scrap people knew him pretty well and bent the rules "just this one time," although that's a big risk to take as it might jeapoardize their business license or what have you.

Interesting change in reporting...

"Family, friends and members of St. Anthony’s High School, from which Robert graduated in 1985, have begun searching near the Deer Park LIRR station. His GTO was found by family near the station, although nobody knows why."

Strange contradictions. I wonder why family would search for his car there if he never took the train. Speaking with co-worker now, and she said if it was her husband missing, that's the last place she would look.

I believe it is because he did have his wallet. That would explain the scrap metal yard. Also someone posted on the FB page asked IM about the cell phone said she thought they had found the cell phone in the house turned off for the weekend. This was posted July 2nd.
If he did return home earlier than usual no one may have seen him. It would also explain the last seen going out of driveway at 2:50 on the NAMUS page.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/20818

I saw where the scrap yard was brought into the picture but did not see a confirmed location. Where are you getting "West Babylon" from? I know there are number of scrap yards/salvage places near RM's home along Long Island Ave in Deer Park.

I believe it is because he did have his wallet. That would explain the scrap metal yard. Also someone posted on the FB page asked IM about the cell phone said she thought they had found the cell phone in the house turned off for the weekend. This was posted July 2nd.
If he did return home earlier than usual no one may have seen him. It would also explain the last seen going out of driveway at 2:50 on the NAMUS page.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/20818

If he did that regularly with copper wire/copper pipes, he would have amassed a good chunk of change in a relatively short time (I have gotten 100+ at a time when I went) and his wife would have been none the wiser. Also, as Bessie pointed out, his shift was likely 6-2, which indicates to me that he left work early that day, especially since his coworkers last reported sighting of him was noonish. Everything is pointing to this being a voluntary disappearance, IMVHO.

JustyThoughts, IMHO, scrap metal dealings can be legit or shady. A lot of scrap on LI is stolen from job sites, houses (drain pipes, etc). There are security cameras at all scrap metal places here due to the theft involvement. So, I just automatically had an "Oh Oh" feeling.

I just snipped part of your post. Thanks CuriousAmI for responding to my question about scrap metal yards in NY; your post is helpful. We have had same issues in GA cities with people stealing - they are even taking the manhole covers off the interstate highways. Laws/regulations have tightened here too and sellers are tracked. RM, if he was there, likely had a legit reason. In addition, I follow the points you noted on having sufficient money to meet living expenses. Thx

A link to video concerning yesterday's search.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/37375

Thx relay, this link shows an official speaking of looking for a bike during the search. Leads me to conclude that there is a family bike that is not accounted for at this time.

Strange contradictions. I wonder why family would search for his car there if he never took the train. Speaking with co-worker now, and she said if it was her husband missing, that's the last place she would look.

Thanks for your post BunnyHop. The more I read all the mixed reports on who found his car, why they looked there and why it was there .... I have come to think that the part of who found is not really that significant - though I could be wrong. I see it as.... he was missing; family/friends stepped in immediately to help look, someone likely suggested the train station, and lo and behold there was his car. I think maybe LE was then contacted and they took the car to determine any evidence or such..... just my opinion only.

Welcome to WS My3sonsmbk !! Glad to have you join the discussion. It is always good to have someone local contributing to our forums.

I suppose it is possible that it was when he arrived at the scrap yard is when he realized he forgot his wallet at home. I suppose it is also possible that the scrap people knew him pretty well and bent the rules "just this one time," although that's a big risk to take as it might jeapoardize their business license or what have you.

=====And maybe this is the key to it all====pure speculation here===

He doesn't have ID on him, but scrap metal guys know him pretty well, but they STILL don't give him a break, and refuse to deal with him because they can't risk breaking the rules.

So this doesn't sit well with RM, since "they know him", is angry, and perhpas says things that arent very nice, and a verbal altercation ensues. Maybe he was already angry from the (supposed argument) 45 minute conversation with his wife, he was having a bad day, and somehow things got physical at the scrap yard. Some harm was done to RM, possibly even more than the perps had in mind to do. Maybe a fight began, and got way out of hand....carried too far, and something far worse occurred. They then devise a plan to dump the body and drive the car to the train station to hide their tracks.

Afternoon Jerry516. While your theory certainly could have validity, I'm suggesting a few counterpoints.
Some of my thoughts re: your post.
I suspect guys at a scrap metal yard are used to having verbal altercations - seems just the nature of the business - esp now that laws/regulations and requirements are tightened.
Would they take such a path (risk) not knowing who may be aware RM was going to their business?
Since I do not know what the business looks like, are there cams, or other close business that may have seen or heard anything? Just things to ponder.

It does make me wonder how/who reported that RM was seen at the metal business. Did the business report it? To my knowledge, I have not seen the source of this detail.

Jerry516, very interesting. To add to the theory, perps would have his car keys to drive the car to train station, short guy gets in car and moves the seat up.

Here's a horrible question, do scrap yards have "crushers" to crush metal? Do most accept crashed cars that get crushed? I hate to think this way.

JustyThoughts, I believe the reference to the sighting at scrap metal yard was noted in the CUE link a few pages back. It stated last sighting was at 2:15, as opposed to car pulling out of driveway. It was new info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee