NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the cops are doing work to like suponea stuff they said awfully fast it doesn't seem to be a crime committed I thought u would have to investigate it first maybe they said it don't look like a crime has been committed but as the days go bye and no sign of Mr Mayer I just don't no u need money rite just for everyday life

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey all, longtime lurker, first time poster, etc.

A man leaving his wallet at home the same day he disappears seems too great a coincidence. A 6'1'' 200 lb guy doesn't just get randomly killed while driving his way home from work, and the perpetrator(s) then somehow hides the body while en route to a local train station.

I understand the desire for a search of the nearby area, but what's the hypothesis that leads to him being left in the area of the train station? When you find a car parked/abandoned at a train station, I would say the odds of the driver lying around in the woods nearby are pretty slim. It's a train station. Unless he drove there specifically to meet someone in the lot for some questionable purpose there, which went very badly. Computer records are key here. Every single thing the guy has done on the internet in the last three months are vital to know.

If he had been carjacked or robbed somewhere on his way home, either in Brooklyn or stopping on the way, where's his body? That hypothesis is out. Because no random murder as he makes his way home allows for his body to be hidden. If he did meet some unfortunate end, he knew the perpetrator and he found himself in a situation where the other person could get the upper hand, in private, and hide the body afterwards. But, why would they do this deed, hide the body, and then drive to the Deer Park train station in the man's car? So that makes no sense either. He had to drive there himself, that's the only logical explanation. The fact that his family does not know why he drove there is a red flag.

So I think there are only one general, credible explanation thus far.

He went to meet someone for an illicit purposes (drugs, sex), parking in the Deer Park train station himself. He then either got into another car or he got onto the train. The odds of him meeting someone in the parking lot, and then something bad going wrong for him right there in the lot, seem very slim. So then, either he met up with someone who did something to him (somewhere far from the station, in private), or he abandoned his family and is still out there somewhere.

I'm only speculating based on what is known, no intention on passing judgment or making anyone feel bad.

EDIT: I cringe at my above suggestion that he had some illicit activity going on (drugs, sex.) Of course I have no direct knowledge of the person or situation. I suggested illicit activity because it appears that he drove somewhere and he didn't want anyone to know he was going there. If his car had been found at a supermarket shopping lot, a toy store, or similar, that might be another story. Driving to a train station suggests he was doing something secretly that was not going to positively impact his family if discovered.

I agree that it looks more like Robert left his own car at the station to do something his family knew nothing about and/or ran away. Maybe he met with foul play after he left his car there.

His wife stated that he had been having headaches. He left his wallet behind. Was it intentional? Or, did he so much on his mind about whatever he was about to do that day and forgot it? Or, was he a little disoriented or experiencing some effect related to the cause of the headaches that he was reportedly experiencing? His disappearance could be the result of a medical problem.

I wonder what his mood and behavior was at work the last day he was seen?

Hey all, longtime lurker, first time poster, etc.

A man leaving his wallet at home the same day he disappears seems too great a coincidence. A 6'1'' 200 lb guy doesn't just get randomly killed while driving his way home from work, and the perpetrator(s) then somehow hides the body while en route to a local train station.

I understand the desire for a search of the nearby area, but what's the hypothesis that leads to him being left in the area of the train station? When you find a car parked/abandoned at a train station, I would say the odds of the driver lying around in the woods nearby are pretty slim. It's a train station. Unless he drove there specifically to meet someone in the lot for some questionable purpose there, which went very badly. Computer records are key here. Every single thing the guy has done on the internet in the last three months are vital to know.

If he had been carjacked or robbed somewhere on his way home, either in Brooklyn or stopping on the way, where's his body? That hypothesis is out. Because no random murder as he makes his way home allows for his body to be hidden. If he did meet some unfortunate end, he knew the perpetrator and he found himself in a situation where the other person could get the upper hand, in private, and hide the body afterwards. But, why would they do this deed, hide the body, and then drive to the Deer Park train station in the man's car? So that makes no sense either. He had to drive there himself, that's the only logical explanation. The fact that his family does not know why he drove there is a red flag.

So I think there are only one general, credible explanation thus far.

He went to meet someone for an illicit purposes (drugs, sex), parking in the Deer Park train station himself. He then either got into another car or he got onto the train. The odds of him meeting someone in the parking lot, and then something bad going wrong for him right there in the lot, seem very slim. So then, either he met up with someone who did something to him (somewhere far from the station, in private), or he abandoned his family and is still out there somewhere.

I'm only speculating based on what is known, no intention on passing judgment or making anyone feel bad.

EDIT: I cringe at my above suggestion that he had some illicit activity going on (drugs, sex.) Of course I have no direct knowledge of the person or situation. I suggested illicit activity because it appears that he drove somewhere and he didn't want anyone to know he was going there. If his car had been found at a supermarket shopping lot, a toy store, or similar, that might be another story. Driving to a train station suggests he was doing something secretly that was not going to positively impact his family if discovered.

Welcome to WS seeyoulater! Good points - well thought out and I agree about meeting someone at the train station parking lot.

Not sure if something happened to him, or he just wanted to take off and start a new life.

As someone previous mentioned, if any of that is so, there might be some evidence of it...but may take allot of digging to find if he was careful about it.

The headache aspect is interesting, indeed. But it would take a relatively coherent individual to park his car neatly in the front row of the parking lot. If he had a medical issue, and someone stole the car, again I find that scenario hard to swallow. He was robbed by someone, but coincidentally didn't have his wallet? I'm not saying coincidences don't occur in life. But Occam's Razor is my guide on this.

If he did take the train, and he didn't have his wallet, he either had cash on him, or bought his ticket in advance. This planning doesn't preclude him planting seeds about headaches in advance, to allay suspicion. But that doesn't sound too likely to me either, headaches could just be stress-related and real, perhaps obliquely connected to his reasons for leaving in other ways.

I'll say again, I don't think I or anyone wants to demean this guy's character whatsoever. I suppose the idea of him taking off is some way better though - better he's alive somewhere than the alternative, which would be awful.

There's a significant sense among the local community that he would not leave his wife and kids, especially right before Father's Day. I can appreciate that. There's also a sense from the family (it is on one of their missing person graphics) that he "would never leave his car." Maybe these things do suggest foul play after all. But this didn't happen in the middle of the night. He disappeared in broad daylight on Long Island (I live there, am familiar.) I can't believe foul play occurred in broad daylight as he made his usual drive home from work. It doesn't make sense.

The data and info anyone would really need to break this would be more detail about his work day - what was his demeanor, what does he actually do during his work day, did it matter that he did not have his wallet, is he by himself most of the time while working, etc. And again, the computer records, and phone records.

I hope he didn't take his own life. But, if you're planning suicide...why take your wallet? Maybe he meant to leave it there.

He was last seen looking "unshaven, in construction worker-type clothing and wearing a baseball cap."

Again, a 6'1'' 200 lbs guy looking like a construction worker isn't likely going to be a victim of random violence while he's driving on his way home from work. It's just too hard to believe, and then if you add that no one saw anything or has found any evidence of actual foul play, I can see why law enforcement might not be suspecting any. Sure, there's road rage situations, but not road rage+murder+hidden body+drive this guy's car to train station situations.

He could have met up with foul play, but seemingly only after he took some (unknown to his family) action on his own, meeting someone, etc.

I thought about the suicide possibility but then thought " Why go to work and put in a full day if you planned to take your own life that day?"

My brother developed a brain tumor about this age and had terrible headaches and episodes of forgetting where he was. His wife found him, one time, miles away, just standing with his bike, not knowing where to go. He did not survive the tumor. Wonder if Robert had something going on like that, or had just found out he had a medical issue.

I hope he didn't take his own life. But, if you're planning suicide...why take your wallet? Maybe he meant to leave it there.

I think most people would go back for their wallet unless either they were on a train and couldn't turn around, or they were already at their destination when they realized they'd forgotten it. The suicide option must be considered, but not much sleuthing about that can be done unless we heard more personal information from the family. I am no expert. But I don't think most suicides look like disappearances, as this does. There's a note, there's a body, there's something public. A father's suicide would be tremendously painful to his family, maybe he wanted to shelter them from that reality, and having no identification might help that as you suggest, but if he cared about them to that extent, why leave them in the dark about whatever he was struggling with? And, again perhaps I'm stereotyping, but based on his appearance and employment and life situation, suicide doesn't seem likely to me, unless he was already leading some secret life or struggling with hidden issues that he could no longer cope with. But a suicidal man, why would he go to a train station? I take the Long Island Rail Road myself and assure anyone unfamiliar that no one is ever hit by the train accidentally or suicidally without everyone knowing about it.

A train station is where you go when you want to go somewhere fast and relatively unidentified. A man leaving his family (if that's what's happened) doesn't take his car because it identifies him. Or his wallet, as mentioned. But a train ticket, you're anonymous. There's thousands of people riding that train every day and it's likely you'll go unnoticed. Once you're in the MTA system, you can get anywhere, Penn Station, the airport, anywhere.

It's really not our business, unless the family is asking for help, which they are. This must go without saying in these forums but the family needs to disclose a lot more information if they want the public's help, beyond just literally trampling through the woods. Were there financial issues? Were there drug issues? Anger issues? Depression? What happened that day at work? There has been no information about his work day, other than he was seen there as late as 12:30. Does he work in an office all day or does he go out on calls?

The wife said his car was found parked "in front row to the right of ticket booth..maybe 10 spots from end of lot." Looking on google maps, this strikes me as someone not planning on meeting someone in the lot, or being driven there against his will. The lot is very large. It seems, to park where the driver did, he wasn't looking to hide the car. He was likely looking to catch a train, maybe quickly. There is a very large conservation preserve adjacent to the station, called Edgewood. Some searches are being focused there. But where the car was parked, I don't see the connection. The car was parked relatively close to the ticket booth, not the preserve. You would have to traverse the whole parking lot from the car, and then cross over an avenue, to get into a main part of the preserve. The only way that the preserve plays into it is if the car was intentionally parked near the ticket booth as an intentional misdirection. What criminal masterminds out there would really do that though?
Or a suicidal man?

I'll add that I understand the searches and would never actively discourage them. People are looking for anything they can do, and you never know, sometimes the oddest improbable things can indeed happen.

There's a note about how the seat was pulled forward, not how it was normally. That's of interest. Maybe it is possible after all that he met with foul play and someone else drove the car and made a getaway on the train. But that wouldn't be a random act of violence. For it to happen in broad daylight as he made his way home, it just doesn't fly unless the perpetrator knows the missing man and something takes place in private.

My brother developed a brain tumor about this age and had terrible headaches and episodes of forgetting where he was. His wife found him, one time, miles away, just standing with his bike, not knowing where to go. He did not survive the tumor. Wonder if Robert had something going on like that, or had just found out he had a medical issue.

Very sorry to hear about your brother, that must have been extremely difficult for all involved.

Based on your own experience, and I don't ask this in any way rhetorically, would your brother have been able to drive to a train station, and park relatively close to the ticket booth, during any kind of episode? You mentioned forgetting where he was, but did he ever go some specific place for no rational reason?

It would be great to hear more from the family regarding the man's headaches and any medical history. I tried to source the quote regarding the headaches, but searches only lead me back to this actual forum site. The odds seem very slim to me, but it could be that he suffered some medical emergency and went somewhere and got lost while in a bad state. But then you have to believe that his car was then stolen and driven to Deer Park. It seems like something like this is what the family believes. And after just now watching a video with the poor wife, it seems possible, she paints a completely convincing portrait of a loving dad who would never leave his family...

Very sorry to hear about your brother, that must have been extremely difficult for all involved.

Based on your own experience, and I don't ask this in any way rhetorically, would your brother have been able to drive to a train station, and park relatively close to the ticket booth, during any kind of episode? You mentioned forgetting where he was, but did he ever go some specific place for no rational reason?

It would be great to hear more from the family regarding the man's headaches and any medical history. I tried to source the quote regarding the headaches, but searches only lead me back to this actual forum site. The odds seem very slim to me, but it could be that he suffered some medical emergency and went somewhere and got lost while in a bad state. But then you have to believe that his car was then stolen and driven to Deer Park. It seems like something like this is what the family believes. And after just now watching a video with the poor wife, it seems possible, she paints a completely convincing portrait of a loving dad who would never leave his family...

I think my brother would have been able drive and leave his car, but not just vanish into thin air. When he had the bike episode, he knew something was wrong (it was before he was diagnosed) so he just stopped and stayed there, hoping his mind would clear. But brain tumors can affect people very differently and I am mot trying to diagnose Robert.

I'm not sure why because I have no concrete evidence, facts, or insight but from the beginning I just felt that he is not missing on his own terms. I'm probably wrong and ok with it but I remember this thread and another thread where a woman went missing and I was following both - thinking - she left on her own terms, Robert didn't. Turns out, she did and is now home.

I guess I just can't imagine this guy going to work and abandoning his life. I get that people walk away from their marriage but would he walk away from his kids?

The only thing that would justify it to me is drugs or an addiction of some sort.

As far as the wallet goes, I wouldn't weigh too much into it. Some people are very forgetful in general. My GF forgets her cell phone, her wallet, etc. I know in this case it could mean something but it may not.

I hear you, I'm a husband and father and the idea of walking away from my family myself is not only unthinkable, it's about the worst thing I can think of that could ever happen to me. So I totally hear you.

I suppose the questions about whether or not his disappearance was intentional or unintentional are lingering due to the number of odd elements of the situation:

1) He left his wallet home that day. Could be nothing, yes. But it's an odd and unfortunate coincidence if he did not disappear intentionally.

2) He seems like a decent sized guy, a construction worker type. Not the type to get robbed or carjacked, at least on Long Island in the middle of the day.

3) If he had gotten into an altercation with someone on the way home, i.e. gas station etc., I think something would have been seen. Unless someone pulled a gun on him and got him out of view quickly. Odds seem unlikely for this. I just don't think this type of crime happens to this kind of guy very often in the areas where he was driving home.

4) I don't know his address, but looking at the map, it's very, very likely that the Deer Park train station is past and to the south of his home in Dix Hills. I believe he was taking the LIE home, as the last cell ping suggests that, along with the wife's comments, but he would have had to have passed his home or exit to get to that train station, coming from Brooklyn. If he were running away or doing something he didn't want anyone to know about, the only reason to drive all the way there would be to meet someone intentionally at that specific parking lot, or just to create confusion in the search.

5) The car was parked not in a hidden area. The car was parked in a place where the driver likely want to catch a train quickly and did not seem to care that the car would be easily found there.

All of this, if we can't believe he ran away, leads us to the brain tumor/episode direction. But it's been two weeks or more now he's been gone. The coincidence of his car being found parked near a ticket booth for a train station he should not have been at, but the man himself having vanished, suggests a rather odd medical episode indeed. If he had parked the car at the station, but then wandered off in a fog, why did he park so well and close to the booth? And if he got on the train in a fog, the conductor would have asked him for a ticket, and something would have transpired and become an issue at that time. I take the LIRR every weekday. Nobody takes a train trip in a state of amnesia or medical emergency without it becoming known.

And then there's the very implausible scenario of foul play PLUS headache episode, where he becomes incapacitated or forgetful, and then someone commits foul play against him, and steals the car, drives to Deer Park....I don't know...I can't buy that.

:welcome6: to the discussion Seeyoulater !

Excellent posts, stated clearly and reasonable train of thoughts. Glad that you are posting your thoughts & ideas. You make very good points; especially the need for indepth investigation into the months, weeks and days leading up to June 14th. Your posts caused me to think more on the issue of reported headaches; knowing more could be helpful. I would think that he may have shared experiencing headaches with co-workers, neighbors, friends as well as family. There does not seem to be focus on the headaches by those close to him.

Glad having your here for sharing and discussion.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Someone posted a short time ago on the Facebook group asking for more information about the headaches. If the wife replies and I see it first, I'll relay any information here.

I think most people would go back for their wallet unless either they were on a train and couldn't turn around, or they were already at their destination when they realized they'd forgotten it. The suicide option must be considered, but not much sleuthing about that can be done unless we heard more personal information from the family. I am no expert. But I don't think most suicides look like disappearances, as this does. There's a note, there's a body, there's something public. A father's suicide would be tremendously painful to his family, maybe he wanted to shelter them from that reality, and having no identification might help that as you suggest, but if he cared about them to that extent, why leave them in the dark about whatever he was struggling with? And, again perhaps I'm stereotyping, but based on his appearance and employment and life situation, suicide doesn't seem likely to me, unless he was already leading some secret life or struggling with hidden issues that he could no longer cope with. But a suicidal man, why would he go to a train station? I take the Long Island Rail Road myself and assure anyone unfamiliar that no one is ever hit by the train accidentally or suicidally without everyone knowing about it.

A train station is where you go when you want to go somewhere fast and relatively unidentified. A man leaving his family (if that's what's happened) doesn't take his car because it identifies him. Or his wallet, as mentioned. But a train ticket, you're anonymous. There's thousands of people riding that train every day and it's likely you'll go unnoticed. Once you're in the MTA system, you can get anywhere, Penn Station, the airport, anywhere.

It's really not our business, unless the family is asking for help, which they are. This must go without saying in these forums but the family needs to disclose a lot more information if they want the public's help, beyond just literally trampling through the woods. Were there financial issues? Were there drug issues? Anger issues? Depression? What happened that day at work? There has been no information about his work day, other than he was seen there as late as 12:30. Does he work in an office all day or does he go out on calls?

The wife said his car was found parked "in front row to the right of ticket booth..maybe 10 spots from end of lot." Looking on google maps, this strikes me as someone not planning on meeting someone in the lot, or being driven there against his will. The lot is very large. It seems, to park where the driver did, he wasn't looking to hide the car. He was likely looking to catch a train, maybe quickly. There is a very large conservation preserve adjacent to the station, called Edgewood. Some searches are being focused there. But where the car was parked, I don't see the connection. The car was parked relatively close to the ticket booth, not the preserve. You would have to traverse the whole parking lot from the car, and then cross over an avenue, to get into a main part of the preserve. The only way that the preserve plays into it is if the car was intentionally parked near the ticket booth as an intentional misdirection. What criminal masterminds out there would really do that though?
Or a suicidal man?

I'll add that I understand the searches and would never actively discourage them. People are looking for anything they can do, and you never know, sometimes the oddest improbable things can indeed happen.

There's a note about how the seat was pulled forward, not how it was normally. That's of interest. Maybe it is possible after all that he met with foul play and someone else drove the car and made a getaway on the train. But that wouldn't be a random act of violence. For it to happen in broad daylight as he made his way home, it just doesn't fly unless the perpetrator knows the missing man and something takes place in private.

I know someone above said this- "why go to work if you're going to commit suicide?"
I remember my dad went to work and didn't come home one night.. He left work and checked into a hotel and took his own life. Like you said, why leave his family in the dark about what he was going through? We don't know what he was thinking. I know my family had no idea that my dad was suicidal. Maybe his family didn't either..

So, it's possible that he did plan to go to work then do whatever he planned.

This is just my opinion though. He could have just left too.

I think it's interesting and vital that the wife mentions he suffered from horrible headaches. Sound familiar? It does to me.:stormingmad: Exactly what is she insinuating by inserting that info and not much else? IDK yet.

I cannot find an active reference to the wife mentioning headaches. Do you recall where you got that information?

Neither can I. I'll keep checking Robert's fb and post relevant information if it posted. I lean towards him leaving on his own; but, he may have had a medical problem, or he may have given someone from Brooklyn a ride out to the island who did him harm, or a number of other things besides having left on his own. Because there are other somewhat slim, but real scenarios I'm not giving up on this case just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3