NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's consider this. As some have previously mention, some of these scrap yards are possibly run by the mob. Many of the people associated with them are not pillars of the community. Some clients also may not be pillars of the community. So, while some of us are saying, "ID is required, license is required, license plates are required, type of metal is required" etc etc, do we think that a deal can take place that has not been executed 100% by the book? I'm not implying that RM or Arrow has done anything specifically underhanded. But could "a person", go to "a place" and get a deal done for the right compensation? What if someone is a chronic thief of scrap that does not want their ID associated with any transaction? The yard may say, "I understand, but what's in it for me"? Well, what if the going rate is $1 per pound of scrap? Yard says, I'll give you 65 cents and we'll do it "off the books". Weekly guy comes in with his haul and gets his cash at a discounted rate to the yard. No paperwork. No trail. Everyone wins. Even customer who may be stealing and converting it with to paper trail evidence. Yard is getting metal/scrap to do what ever it is they do with it at a 35% discount.

All I'm trying to point out is, everyone saying, "yeah but you need this or you need that", do you really? Are we really going to RELY on these requirements? The scrap yard LACK of evidence of a transaction is not trustworthy. Of course, if evidence of a transaction does exist, it would most likely be true. Whether or not anyone has the proper ID when going to these yards is irrelevant to me.

True but then they should have taken his car...But anything is possible.

Again I want to Thank OldSteve for bringing up Hurricane Sandy.
Grew up in Yonkers, very familiar with Long Island, beach gal here (West End II). :seeya:

I now live 50 miles north of the city.
I lost power for a week, we mostly suffered from downed trees here.

I just got home from my friends' in Piermont-Hudson River town. Most is cleared up now, but not all. Our favorite restaurants were wiped out. We did manage to have great lunch outside on the river today. Main restaurant is still closed. I met 2 LI women (Cold Spring Harbor) who asked me to take their pics- I was happy to oblige. :seeya:

The reason I bring this up is 2 fold. #1, I'm sentimental, and #2 to remind all of the devastation. My heart goes out to all.

I have to wonder about all the reconstruction. All the "scrap", aluminum (boat fittings),(siding) copper, plumbing and so forth. All the construction workers, trash haulers, electrical workers that worked on the side to make extra money. Many I'm sure were heartfelt, some, maybe not.

Today as we sat at lunch, an elderly woman "collapsed". We watched as her daughter tried to hold her up. Our waiter ran for a chair and pulled her into the shade. The woman, I would guess was 75, overweight, lost color, panting, not wanting to drink water. I told the waitress; please call an ambulance asap, this woman is in distress.

Few seconds later the alarm went off, paramedics arrived. If It ever happened to me, I would want these guys. They were so professional and "low-key". They did what they had to do and never missed a beat. (FDNY)

oxygen, calm, blood pressure, kindness, checked blood sugar, no theatrics, we were in a river front restaurant.

This was Piermont, friend lives @:18 Restaurant @2:08

I drove through the following week crying my eyes out.

I can't even imagine Queens, Brooklyn and LI., NJ
I have always been an advocate for victims of Sandy. :twocents:

Forgive me for OT, but I think it's important to look at all the angles.

Hurricane Sandy - Piermont, NY - YouTube

I absolutely agree with Clemenza, there is so much that can be done, with the right connections.

I wonder where the scrap goes from their yard? I know that many parts are sold, but do they crush the old cars, (that won't sell), and pass them on?

I absolutely agree with Clemenza, there is so much that can be done, with the right connections.

I wonder where the scrap goes from their yard? I know that many parts are sold, but do they crush the old cars, (that won't sell), and pass them on?

I agree, and hope someone can do follow up.
I think there's much more here than meet's the eye. :twocents:

I'm tired now, big day tomorrow, will follow up tomorrow.

Let's consider this. As some have previously mention, some of these scrap yards are possibly run by the mob. Many of the people associated with them are not pillars of the community. Some clients also may not be pillars of the community. So, while some of us are saying, "ID is required, license is required, license plates are required, type of metal is required" etc etc, do we think that a deal can take place that has not been executed 100% by the book? I'm not implying that RM or Arrow has done anything specifically underhanded. But could "a person", go to "a place" and get a deal done for the right compensation? What if someone is a chronic thief of scrap that does not want their ID associated with any transaction? The yard may say, "I understand, but what's in it for me"? Well, what if the going rate is $1 per pound of scrap? Yard says, I'll give you 65 cents and we'll do it "off the books". Weekly guy comes in with his haul and gets his cash at a discounted rate to the yard. No paperwork. No trail. Everyone wins. Even customer who may be stealing and converting it with to paper trail evidence. Yard is getting metal/scrap to do what ever it is they do with it at a 35% discount.

All I'm trying to point out is, everyone saying, "yeah but you need this or you need that", do you really? Are we really going to RELY on these requirements? The scrap yard LACK of evidence of a transaction is not trustworthy. Of course, if evidence of a transaction does exist, it would most likely be true. Whether or not anyone has the proper ID when going to these yards is irrelevant to me.

This is 2000% on target. For all the people that keep posting about the law, the website saying they check ID, legal requirements, etc....it means nothing. Has anyone ever tried to negotiate a cash deal with a business so you didn't have to pay sales tax? The law says the store, vendor or whatever must collect sales tax. I've seen the signs in many local businesses. Does everyone think they don't make side deals for cash? Come on!

So I agree with Clemenza that the lack of ID at the scrap yard is a non factor. Especially since his coworkers specifically name that particular scrap yard, out of all the ones on LI, and guess what, sure enough he was there. This place was known to his group of coworkers for some reason.

Here lies another problem. I posted this earlier and still can't get my head around it. I would like to know what exactly was used to confirm RM being there, ---what kind of proof of the transaction. Is it a time stamped dated receipt showing what he sold? Was it just the employee's word/memory? If they have the exact documentation of the transaction, then it wasn't done "under the table". No business doing this wants a paper trail, and even if they kept a " black book" so to speak, you can bet the last thing they would do is turn it over to LE.

So, the transaction appears kosher, but because they knew him and he was a regular, they just didn't ask for ID.

Also, knowing what the receipt said could be very telling. I would love to know exactly what he sold to them, it could clue us in if he was involved in anything shady, or just simply selling a few small pieces of scrap.

I own a very small Mom and Mom business.
One day a guy from NYC came in to make a purchase.
He fought with me about $2.00 sales tax, he was driving a BMW.

He fought hard, I refused to back down, I'd rather lose the sale.
Right is right IMO. I HATE it when people get demanding and entitled.

He told me he could buy it from a street vendor in NYC, cash, no sales tax.
Well guess what buddy? I'm NOT a street vendor in NYC and YOU HAVE TO PAY SALES TAX.

I HATE intimidation, and had one hand on phone to State Police. He lost, and I got my sales tax.

Maybe it is recalled as a "small transaction" if one section only does small ones? I have no idea about these places, lol. What was the wording used about it-minor? Or small? Do people hauling in truckloads go to a different section?

Here lies another problem. I posted this earlier and still can't get my head around it. I would like to know what exactly was used to confirm RM being there, ---what kind of proof of the transaction. Is it a time stamped dated receipt showing what he sold? Was it just the employee's word/memory? If they have the exact documentation of the transaction, then it wasn't done "under the table". No business doing this wants a paper trail, and even if they kept a " black book" so to speak, you can bet the last thing they would do is turn it over to LE.

So, the transaction appears kosher, but because they knew him and he was a regular, they just didn't ask for ID.

Also, knowing what the receipt said could be very telling. I would love to know exactly what he sold to them, it could clue us in if he was involved in anything shady, or just simply selling a few small pieces of scrap.

Again, what ever the receipt says, is that to be considered fact? Regular walks in and they go through the routine. Process a few pieces of junk as a minimal transaction just because. He is after all in the building. They have to "print" something, however small/real. The real deal goes under the table. I don't think the receipt tells the whole story at all. Let's be clear this is all conjecture and speculation on a "what if" scenario. What we do know is Ida confirmed a minimal transaction.

I'm willing to bet there was no receipt. Cash transaction, no receipt, no cameras.

I think RM's car would have been put in the crusher if the scrap yard were involved (another Walter White parallel right there). JMO

I am interested in how they got confirmation that he was there though.

Hurricane Sandy and Dealing with Your Scrap Metal Clean Up

http://hcmetals.com/hurricane-sandy-and-dealing-with-your-scrap-metal-clean-up-nj.html

Hurricane Sandy Clean Up
Rockaway Recycling would like to take a moment and send our deepest regrets to all of those that were affected by Hurricane Sandy last week. While we lucked out and didn’t get flooded this time around, many people around us weren’t as lucky.
We would like to reach out to the surrounding communities and offer our metal container services FREE of charge for those that need it for clean up. Please give us a call at 1-800-317-JUNK or contact us with any questions or requests.

http://rockawayrecycling.com/news/hurricane-sandy-clean-up/

Scrap Yards Are Among Hurricane Sandy’s Beneficiaries

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-91015/

NYPD: Metal Thieves Plundering Areas Hardest Hit By Hurricane Sandy

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12...ndering-hardest-hit-areas-of-hurricane-sandy/

I can go on and on...........

Please note; I am posting news links that may or may not be connected.

I just saw that IM has some answers, waiting on more answers. Very cryptic but IMO not helping search efforts. We keep banging our heads against walls.

I'm willing to bet there was no receipt. Cash transaction, no receipt, no cameras.

I think RM's car would have been put in the crusher if the scrap yard were involved (another Walter White parallel right there). JMO

I am interested in how they got confirmation that he was there though.

Exactly. What is the confirmation??

And also, I still can't get over the phone pinging issue. As I posted yesterday, it appears that cell phones ping every few seconds/minutes. So something or someone got to RM's phone closer to 1:45pm, the time of the last ping, not 2:45

It would be nice to trace the pings backwards from there and find out if he made any stops prior, or was he basically coming right from the job site.

Just because it went to voicemail at 2:45, doesn't mean it wasn't dead before this.

It is very possible he wasnt alone in the car driving to the scrap metal place.

:twocents: IMHO, lot's more to this case than meets the eye.

My friend Bob calls it the Hairy eyeball.

:seeya:

I thought phones picked whenever in range of a tower, which should be often in NYC/Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321