NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. What is the confirmation??

And also, I still can't get over the phone pinging issue. As I posted yesterday, it appears that cell phones ping every few seconds/minutes. So something or someone got to RM's phone closer to 1:45pm, the time of the last ping, not 2:45

It would be nice to trace the pings backwards from there and find out if he made any stops prior, or was he basically coming right from the job site.

Just because it went to voicemail at 2:45, doesn't mean it wasn't dead before this.

It is very possible he wasnt alone in the car driving to the scrap metal place.

Jerry, there is no confirmation on anything as far as I'm concerned.
Nada, Zippo, Zeda. :twocents:

Everything has been conflicting since day one.

One thing I am is "street smart". Been around the block a few hundred times and I tell you, it all smells hinky to me. Just my own opinion. :twocents:

:moo: :seeya: :moo:

:banghead:

I can't help but think the some places would forgo paperwork and keep some transactions with customers they know and trust off the books and undocumented... of course no one going come out an say this...

I'm with you on this. I suppose some scrap yards do the right thing, but there has been an awful rash of bronze placques and manhole covers stolen, which have never been recovered. Someone paid money for them. I have no doubt they were bought by a scrap yard somewhere. Those desperate drug addicts will try to sell them to the point of taking a big risk. In my area, I'm certain they cross state lines. They often do it with pawn shops with other stolen items. Why not scrap yards?

I'm not saying RM is a drug addict, but that there are probably a few unscrupulous scrap yards willing to accept obvious stolen metal such as historical bronze plaques and manhole covers with city names on them.

This is a big problem nationwide. The interesting thing is that I have never heard or read about a scrap yard coming forward about someone trying to sell them stolen metal. Either it isn't news worthy or they are just not taking it seriously because of $$$$$.

JMO

I'm with you on this. I suppose some scrap yards do the right thing, but there has been an awful rash of bronze placques and manhole covers stolen, which have never been recovered. Someone paid money for them. I have no doubt they were bought by a scrap yard somewhere. Those desperate drug addicts will try to sell them to the point of taking a big risk. In my area, I'm certain they cross state lines. They often do it with pawn shops with other stolen items. Why not scrap yards?

I'm not saying RM is a drug addict, but that there are probably a few unscrupulous scrap yards willing to accept obvious stolen metal such as historical bronze plaques and manhole covers with city names on them.

This is a big problem nationwide. The interesting thing is that I have never heard or read about a scrap yard coming forward about someone trying to sell them stolen metal. Either it isn't news worthy or they are just not taking it seriously because of $$$$$.

JMO
That + all the scrap from Hurricane Sandy :twocents:

Thank you for the welcome!

Seems I would never make a PI (really would be my dream job as my next career). Appears I am a bit too naive. I didn't even know much of what a scrap yard is until I asked my boyfriend. Anyway, I got him into the case..He sees why I am so interested. It is very mysterious as this seemingly nice family man just vanished into thin air. He always has different view points on things than I do, so here are his ideas:

1. Something happened either at the scrap yard or right after he left. He is from LI and says the area around that scrap yard is very shady. At a scrap yard apparently they have the machines to get rid of evidence.
- I find this hard to believe. RM looks like a big guy. Did something really happen there in the middle of the day? Doubt it. But he could have given a lift in his car to somebody from there. Again, awful the cameras were not working, as that would tell a lot. But it is a very strange coincidence the cameras were not working that day.

2. Robert was involved with another woman and the 'other man' found out about it. (I remember a very sad, recent case like this in Queens. From everything I have read, RM seems like a real family guy. I have trouble believing he was having an affair but of course I don't know him. From having a cheating ex bf once, I do believe the wife would have had some inkling).

3. RM was up to doing something he didn't share with his family. Either something shady or meeting someone to sell something and he figured he would return home soon. Some sort of sale/exchange and he thought he would return right away, but something obviously went horribly wrong and he never returned.
- It was said he suffered from bad headaches. I know from bad back pain people can get very hooked on painkillers. Being in regular pain does terrible things to the mind/mood. Could have have been involved in some sort of prescription drug transaction? If he was selling or buying something on Craigslist, wouldn't this be found in his internet search history or cell provider call/text history?

Also, I read that RM knew there were no security cameras at the train station his car was parked at. If he were trying to make a clean get-away from his life, he would take the train. You are totally anonymous on a train from LI to to Manhattan and from there can go anywhere. He wouldn't have driven since highway cameras would catch his car and toll booths, etc.

My gut tells me this guy really cared about his kids and wife and wasn't living a double life or having an affair. Perhaps he was involved with something not good, did not feel safe and took off.

LE must know more by now from his cell phone records. And does LE still not think foul play at all? This story needed to be covered by the news a month ago and it still isn't.. That I do not get at all.

Prayers for answers for the family very soon..

Thank you for the welcome!

Seems I would never make a PI (really would be my dream job as my next career). Appears I am a bit too naive. I didn't even know much of what a scrap yard is until I asked my boyfriend. Anyway, I got him into the case..He sees why I am so interested. It is very mysterious as this seemingly nice family man just vanished into thin air. He always has different view points on things than I do, so here are his ideas:

1. Something happened either at the scrap yard or right after he left. He is from LI and says the area around that scrap yard is very shady. At a scrap yard apparently they have the machines to get rid of evidence.
- I find this hard to believe. RM looks like a big guy. Did something really happen there in the middle of the day? Doubt it. But he could have given a lift in his car to somebody from there. Again, awful the cameras were not working, as that would tell a lot. But it is a very strange coincidence the cameras were not working that day.

2. Robert was involved with another woman and the 'other man' found out about it. (I remember a very sad, recent case like this in Queens. From everything I have read, RM seems like a real family guy. I have trouble believing he was having an affair but of course I don't know him. From having a cheating ex bf once, I do believe the wife would have had some inkling).

3. RM was up to doing something he didn't share with his family. Either something shady or meeting someone to sell something and he figured he would return home soon. Some sort of sale/exchange and he thought he would return right away, but something obviously went horribly wrong and he never returned.
- It was said he suffered from bad headaches. I know from bad back pain people can get very hooked on painkillers. Being in regular pain does terrible things to the mind/mood. Could have have been involved in some sort of prescription drug transaction? If he was selling or buying something on Craigslist, wouldn't this be found in his internet search history or cell provider call/text history?

Also, I read that RM knew there were no security cameras at the train station his car was parked at. If he were trying to make a clean get-away from his life, he would take the train. You are totally anonymous on a train from LI to to Manhattan and from there can go anywhere. He wouldn't have driven since highway cameras would catch his car and toll booths, etc.

My gut tells me this guy really cared about his kids and wife and wasn't living a double life or having an affair. Perhaps he was involved with something not good, did not feel safe and took off.

LE must know more by now from his cell phone records. And does LE still not think foul play at all? This story needed to be covered by the news a month ago and it still isn't.. That I do not get at all.

Prayers for answers for the family very soon..

IMHO, much more to this than meets the the hairy eyeball. :seeya:

:banghead:

I was wondering if someone purposely left the car there hoping it would get stolen!
If not stolen, then left there to focus attention away from the scrap yard where I wish dogs had been used earlier... Too late now...

Quite possible someone moved it to the train station to confuse the police, but if they wanted it stolen, they would have probably left the doors unlocked, IMO. Although, this is is another oddity, because the doors were locked--if my memory is correct. Would a stranger perp lock the car doors and take the keys??? Looks more likely someone tried to confuse the police or RM parked the car there.

JMO

I tend to think he parked the car himself there. Wouldn't they have fingerprints by now of someone else besides him or the family using the car? Unless the perp used gloves...but then that would have had to have been a very planned out crime. Whatever happened, seems to have happened very suddenly. Unless, of course he had planned to meet someone for some sort of transaction.. But he would have had to have contacted that person through a call/text or email, which could be traced.

Looking for the head banging icon.... there it is.........:banghead:

That + all the scrap from Hurricane Sandy :twocents:

I know this is off topic, but the police need to do stings. They have to scare these businesses into doing the right thing.

I tend to think he parked the car himself there. Wouldn't they have fingerprints by now of someone else besides him or the family using the car? Unless the perp used gloves...but then that would have had to have been a very planned out crime. Whatever happened, seems to have happened very suddenly. Unless, of course he had planned to meet someone for some sort of transaction.. But he would have had to have contacted that person through a call/text or email, which could be traced.

Not to mention, the dogs didn't catch RM's scent outside the car at the train station. :banghead:

I agree. And how do they get off with 'oh, our security cameras' were not working and how long were they not working for?

I have nothing to add but will again when I discuss case with a police captain and former detective I know...unfortunately not in Long Island..but I am sure they will have way more insights to share than I ever will. Also, I think it was mentioned on here- though I could be totally wrong- there was some sort of family member in law enforcement? If so, I would really think LE would have been working MUCH faster than this. I read on FB the wife says the car is still being processed. 5 weeks? The poor lady.. She has the patience and strength of a saint.

Are there cameras on the train station platform? Has this been discussed? Also, the car could have passed banks, ATMs, stores with cameras from the scrap yard to the train station. Did LE check these possibilities out?

If you look at a recent post by his wife on the FB page, there is a word about the car.

Very strange is the dogs did not pick up his scent. But I am not sure how long after his disappearance it was until the dogs were brought to the station? I just googled it and it says the scent of the person can be totally lost if there are heavy rains. We had like the rainiest month of June on record. I remember it was especially Fridays that it rained A LOT in NY. So with this info I'm not giving the tracking dogs any credit.

I agree. And how do they get off with 'oh, our security cameras' were not working and how long were they not working for?

I have nothing to add but will again when I discuss case with a police captain and former detective I know...unfortunately not in Long Island..but I am sure they will have way more insights to share than I ever will. Also, I think it was mentioned on here- though I could be totally wrong- there was some sort of family member in law enforcement? If so, I would really think LE would have been working MUCH faster than this. I read on FB the wife says the car is still being processed. 5 weeks? The poor lady.. She has the patience and strength of a saint.

5 weeks???! Maybe they are giving her a bunch of malarkey and they already know the answer. Seems toooo long. Maybe the fingerprint department is working with a skeleton crew. In all seriousness, it could be that the DNA portion of the process is backlogged. Perhaps the fingerprints have been obtained, but the rest of the process is lagging behind, so they can't say the car is 100% processed. I hope this is the case and it isn't just sitting there behind a long line of yet to be processed crime scenes.

I'm looking forward to what your detective friend has to say about the case.

Never mind my last post. Good ole' Google. Now I read that the scent tracking dogs work better in the rain. I still think maybe the dogs were brought in too late, as everything else in this case has seemed to have taken too long from what little I know. Sorry.. I am back to... (lost the head banging icon).

Thanks. I will try to ask tomorrow. I'm at a loss...That is obvious.
Yes, they should know fingerprints by now. I will ask how long the prints usually take. I also don't get how LE says no foul play when the car hasn't even been processed.

I've often read here from our dog experts that if properly trained, 6 weeks even is not too long for results. Some cases, much longer.

Wow. The experts sure know. I missed that his scent wasn't tracked anywhere by the car at the station, until someone told me. Yes, makes it even more mind boggling now. :scared:

I defer to the more senior WS'ers- without the media involved on this case, is there any way to obtain an "update" on the case from LE- in other words, just as a "concerned community member"? Will they give any generic updates such as, we have a person of interest but are not releasing any other information as it is a pending investigation? Or would they tell the community that they reclassified it as a crime or suspicious circumstances, rather than their initial statement that no crime was committed?

I just wondered if other WS'ers have followed cases where the media isn't heavily involved (like this one! so frustrating!) Does LE issue any type of updates to the community, upon request?

Share your thoughts, I am newer to WS..... would love to hear your thoughts about this.

I cannot get pass the whole story about not parking in the train station. why would he take his car that meant the world to him into Brooklyn everyday. You would think he would have a older car/truck to use. I would think the train station is safer then parking in Brooklyn. One accident and you sit in traffic for hours running up your milege. Also to put your tools and scraps in the trunk, no way. My SIL truck is filthy inside and out especially his seat. Just moo.

I agree Trigger---that jumped out at me too. When people love their cars, they are garage kept, no body can drink or smoke in them and the "baby" would not traverse the rough roads to Brooklyn--the Belt Parkway can be an adventure drive for a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321