NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on how the search went yesterday? was there any media coverage? It just seems so weird to me. So little information and so little coverage. There is more to this story. A happily married family man vanished into thin air. LE has not released any info. No new clues to go on? Something is not right here.

I'm still waiting for Matty B's video on HBO? :blushing:

I'm going to repost this because I found it enlightening.
Through all the Sandy heartache, who would have thought some were raking it in?
Not me, I was more concerned about the people.

When we think of scrap, we go to copper wire.
Well I learned something, imagine that.

Not only copper, but aluminum, steel, computer parts contain gold and silver.
Cell phones, motors, cars, appliances, the list goes on and on.
Think about it.

Let's remember who controls trash in Metro area, my upstate town included.

:seeya:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - #2

About 15 years ago, I knew a guy who owned a dump truck and did "trash removal" on the side. So let's say he charged you $200 to clear out your garage.
Guess what? He made the real money on scrap. He had to do the work but brought the scrap and got very nice checks, kind of like a big bonus. :seeya:

I'm going to repost this because I found it enlightening.
Through all the Sandy heartache, who would have thought some were raking it in?
Not me, I was more concerned about the people.

When we think of scrap, we go to copper wire.
Well I learned something, imagine that.

Not only copper, but aluminum, steel, computer parts contain gold and silver.
Cell phones, motors, cars, appliances, the list goes on and on.
Think about it.

Let's remember who controls trash in Metro area, my upstate town included.

:seeya:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - #2

About 15 years ago, I knew a guy who owned a dump truck and did "trash removal" on the side. So let's say he charged you $200 to clear out your garage.
Guess what? He made the real money on scrap. He had to do the work but brought the scrap and got very nice checks, kind of like a big bonus. :seeya:

I find this important, so bumping.

Bunny I'm trying but I am dense. Why do you find computer parts important? There are such minute amounts of gold and silver in a computer that its hardly worth the time it would take to extract it.

Pings are not that precise. If I'm not mistaken, they can have a 10 miles radius sometimes or something like a 3 mile radius. It isn't like GPS.

JMO

Someone with better knowledge of cell phones may correct this if I am wrong but this very thought is what I have been wondering about for awhile.
First, I spent several years working for a contractor in Iraq, at two different camps. At the first camp everyone was allowed cell phones while at the second cell phones where strictly forbidden. The reasoning was that the first camp had only one cell tower and in order for the bad guys to get a precise location on a target the signal had to be triangulated by the signal bouncing off several towers at once. Having only one tower there was no way they could get more than a general direction. Is it possible that early reports confused the cell phone "pinging" with the last time the phone company was able to triangulate the phones signal and get a specific location? I have read where a cell phone pings every 7 seconds so that would seem to make some sense.

Bunny I'm trying but I am dense. Why do you find computer parts important? There are such minute amounts of gold and silver in a computer that its hardly worth the time it would take to extract it.

Just throwing it out there, for lack of any leads other than scrap yard. Seems many things have value.
I'm actually learning a lot that I didn't know before.

Found a forum with loads of info
http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/forum.php

I was looking into what capacity there is to track a phone which is powered down or dead battery. If found this via the link below (#5 on the list)

Use the GPS capabilities of your cell to track the phone. While pinging is possible only when the phone is turned on, the cell phone company can track a GPS signal even with the cell turned off.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_6296518_ping-cell-phone-locate.html#ixzz2Zu23cxwE

And it was reported that the security camera was not working...

Another point to consider (not saying this happened in the case) is bartering - as mentioned in the old news article out of Baltimore:
"Despite repeated efforts, police have been unable to stop the thieves, or the unscrupulous scrap metal buyers who they say fuel the industry by bartering — no questions asked."

Perhaps it is reported as a "minimal transaction" because he didn't have ID thus helping the scrap yard protect itself. However I believe it is described as minimal based on the cash found emptied from his pockets in the garage. MOO

Perhaps it is reported as a "minimal transaction" because he didn't have ID thus helping the scrap yard protect itself. However I believe it is described as minimal based on the cash found emptied from his pockets in the garage. MOO

I would like to know how it was determined he was at scrap yard if "cameras not working". How is it known it was a minimal transaction?
Is there a receipt? If so, where was it found?

above quote BBM. If that happened (BIG if here) that would mean he returned home after scrap yard. Correct?

I'm all confused. :scared:

NCNY posted money was found at home along with neighbors video ate of car. I'm discounting RM went home. MOO.

I guess we're all at a loss here. Too many conflicting details. Truth and honesty would be most helpful I think. But I don't think truth and honesty is forthcoming. A wall has been built and is being protected so tightly. I wish the family peace.

Very well said, Curious. I ditto everything you said.
Also, a couple people I discussed this with seem to think RM left on his own. I am starting to believe that as well now too. But then again, I know nothing. Not enough facts or truth to work with.

Someone with better knowledge of cell phones may correct this if I am wrong but this very thought is what I have been wondering about for awhile.
First, I spent several years working for a contractor in Iraq, at two different camps. At the first camp everyone was allowed cell phones while at the second cell phones where strictly forbidden. The reasoning was that the first camp had only one cell tower and in order for the bad guys to get a precise location on a target the signal had to be triangulated by the signal bouncing off several towers at once. Having only one tower there was no way they could get more than a general direction. Is it possible that early reports confused the cell phone "pinging" with the last time the phone company was able to triangulate the phones signal and get a specific location? I have read where a cell phone pings every 7 seconds so that would seem to make some sense.

BBM

I'm not sure, but what you said makes sense. What I meant by precise is that one can't tell his exact location (in a store, in a scrap yard, school yard, etc.) with phone pings. My understanding is that it can only suggest a approx. location or area (somewhere in the triangle).

According to this article, the every 7 seconds ping does happen:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2019239,00.html

Also, in this article it states that a GPS chip is needed to get an exact location.

JMO

I would like to know how it was determined he was at scrap yard if "cameras not working". How is it known it was a minimal transaction?
Is there a receipt? If so, where was it found?

above quote BBM. If that happened (BIG if here) that would mean he returned home after scrap yard. Correct?

I'm all confused. :scared:

IM stated that an employee said he was at the scrap yard and was minimal transaction on FB Official Search site. NYNC mentioned the cash from that transaction was in the garage in an earlier post. Am I in violation saying 'FB?"

I guess we're all at a loss here. Too many conflicting details. Truth and honesty would be most helpful I think. But I don't think truth and honesty is forthcoming. A wall has been built and is being protected so tightly. I wish the family peace.

I disagree with this, sorry. If the family has a "wall" built around them it might be for one of many reasons already mentioned and discussed here. And not telling everything does not automatically equal being untruthful and dishonest. I don't understand why judgement can not be withheld until we know the reasons, in the meantime cut them some slack. I find it highly unfair, to say the least, to insinuate that they are not honest.

What I meant was I feel there is conflicting information...To me it seems facts are just not clear enough. I didn't mean anyone is lying. I can't even imagine what the family is going through. Also, maybe they do not want certain things to be brought public.. I do not know. I hope RM's wife hires a good PI, as I really think that will help.

IM stated that an employee said he was at the scrap yard and was minimal transaction on FB Official Search site. NYNC mentioned the cash from that transaction was in the garage in an earlier post. Am I in violation saying 'FB?"

IF IF IF...IF the cash was in the garage from the "minimal" transaction.... are "we" saying it was minimal only because of the amount of $ found in garage?

What if it was NOT a "minimal" transaction and the rest of the $$ is gone with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melissaw