NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. RM's case is not common knowledge on Long Island. The most widely read newspaper, Newsday, hasn't covered it at all. People are not talking about it over water coolers at work.

Several of my friends in RL know I follow missing persons cases and not one of them has mentioned it to me. I have discussed this case in depth to exactly 2 people and only because I brought it up. They knew none of the details we at WS know.

However, there is very good evidence that the family wants to keep it this way. As of a week or so ago there has been absolutely zero information and/or attempts to give this case recognition.

Maybe because he is not missing!
JMO

Question: It was reported that when the car was found the very next day, dogs found no scent. Is it usual to bring a dog in under such circumstances?
The car was located at station, why bring a dog?

Good question and whos dog was it?

How many ferry's are around that area and where do they go?

This may sound stupid but here we go------------does RM have a Starbucks, Panera Bread, CVS card or the like for restaurants or stores??? They are linked online to your email address---you can track $$ on your card, rewards earned etc-----it may help show he is alive and possibly track where.

Is it possible that newspapers are not best suited to MP cases??? Am thinking that b/c time is of the essence that print media doesnt function as well---whereas TV, radio, social media (when its "behaving" itself) can accomodate minute by minute changes of information. Could be why print is not covering the story.

Just a thought to keep on convo flowing---------

I agree with Curious Cathy----have had the feeling that something is going to pop. And I truly hopes its RM standing up and shouting "Hello!"

Take a look at Newsday's coverage of the Lisa Solomon case a gazillion years ago. Admittedly, this was during a different ownership of Newsday and since it has been taken over by Cablevision, it has gone downhill. But in RM's case, NOT A PEEP? Even the missing guy out in Montauk got some print space.

I don't have a feeling that something is about to pop but I do have a sense of a big change in the past week or so.

I sincerely hope that the change that I sense is not because one's privacy became more important than finding one's loved one.

Take a look at Newsday's coverage of the Lisa Solomon case a gazillion years ago. Admittedly, this was during a different ownership of Newsday and since it has been taken over by Cablevision, it has gone downhill. But in RM's case, NOT A PEEP? Even the missing guy out in Montauk got some print space.

I don't have a feeling that something is about to pop but I do have a sense of a big change in the past week or so.

I sincerely hope that the change that I sense is not because one's privacy became more important than finding one's loved one.

could be the realization the loved one does not want to be found!
sorry JMO

Eliza-----I think with kids going back to school today if something has happened, it will become public--despite what the family may want.

I also bring the case up to people and noone seems to know about it until I tell them. I hear you.

Does anyone on this forum have a contact in the media so we can help this guy out if he is still alive?

Many people, some connected to the media, sent dozens upon dozens of requests to multiple media outlets. It resulted mainly in what is out there now. Unfortunately most requests went ignored.

Good question and whos dog was it?

I am hoping Tracker will answer.
RM went missing on June 14, it is said he was reported missing that night.
His car is found the next day at the station, afternoon I think on Saturday June 15.
I am assuming LE was contacted that the car was found at the station.
So what happens next?
Does LE show up to write a report?
Do they tow the car for evidence? If so evidence of what?
Appearances give the impression Rob left by train.

So my question is; Is it usual for LE to bring a dog so quickly, on a weekend when they report no crime has been committed?

My other thought is that he went home, emptied his pockets, perhaps took a gun and left. Namus states his fingerprints are on file which is required for gun permit.

could be the realization the loved one does not want to be found!
sorry JMO

Right, but even with the realization that the loved one doesn't want to be found, comes the responsibility of child support and divorce and all of that which I would think that it would benefit the family to have child support and get on with life by getting a divorce.....unless it is saving face to say well you wouldn't leave me (but you did), but the public doesn't know that, so they possibly both get what they want...he leaves, and it looks "good" for her that the public thinks he is gone, but that he did not leave her on purpose.....
IMOO.

Right, but even with the realization that the loved one doesn't want to be found, comes the responsibility of child support and divorce and all of that which I would think that it would benefit the family to have child support and get on with life by getting a divorce.....unless it is saving face to say well you wouldn't leave me (but you did), but the public doesn't know that, so they possibly both get what they want...he leaves, and it looks "good" for her that the public thinks he is gone, but that he did not leave her on purpose.....
IMOO.

This is exactly what I think happened.

Question: It was reported that when the car was found the very next day, dogs found no scent. Is it usual to bring a dog in under such circumstances?
The car was located at station, why bring a dog?

It's about 50/50...

In my experience it occurs more often in cases that have a higher media coverage or when foul play is suspected and LE wants some verification or evidence that they intend to use later.

I am hoping Tracker will answer.
RM went missing on June 14, it is said he was reported missing that night.
His car is found the next day at the station, afternoon I think on Saturday June 15.
I am assuming LE was contacted that the car was found at the station.
So what happens next?
Does LE show up to write a report?
Do they tow the car for evidence? If so evidence of what?
Appearances give the impression Rob left by train.

So my question is; Is it usual for LE to bring a dog so quickly, on a weekend when they report no crime has been committed?

My other thought is that he went home, emptied his pockets, perhaps took a gun and left. Namus states his fingerprints are on file which is required for gun permit.

Sorry to get back to you so late on this...see my post above.

When the car is reported to LE, they have a number of options available including finger printing the car, have the car and surrounding area checked for scent by dogs and foot prints by trackers, photographs, open and search, etc... They then may tow it to a processing facility where they would finger print (if not done at scene), search and let the crime lab folks go at it.

Since little has been provided in official information release, I have no idea what they have done.

While I respect everyone's individual theories on what might have happened to RM, sometimes I "just don't get it". I'm not of the mind that he waltzed off into the sunset :bicycle:
I sure hope you all are on the right track, as I think that would have the best outcome for RM.
I have followed along + read most of the links that folks use to support their theories. Some of it has me :waitasec: At one point there was a link + quote which said something to the effect of (my words + questionable memory here) - 'of all missing person cases only 5% turn out to have left voluntarily'. Then there was a link that indicated - 'many of these cases are simply people who wanted to disappear'.
Now you can't have it both ways in my little brain. Many is not 5% to me.
Why does the majority here lean this way? I know all of your explanations of certain details + why you "feel" this is the case. I've seen the same in other cases as well + just never understood it.
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/08/31/vanished-dix-hills-father-still-missing-after-2-months/
A Suffolk County Police Department spokesman tells the Press detectives do not believe Mayer’s disappearance to be the result of foul play at this stage and that there is an active and ongoing investigation into “all leads.”
BBM - To me this means they have no evidence YET. Maybe there was no crime + they will never have evidence. Maybe there was + down the road some little thing will come up + they will change their stance. I think - JMO again - LE might suspect many things but they can't say what, until or unless they have hard evidence to back it up.

Does anyone think he may have gone to Burning Man to find himself?

Interesting thought, but is it common for people to head out to Burning Man in mid-June when it does not begin until the last Monday in August? Unless he was going to bike there with nothing but the clothes on his back, which, :scared:

tcg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member