NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I respect everyone's individual theories on what might have happened to RM, sometimes I "just don't get it". I'm not of the mind that he waltzed off into the sunset :bicycle:
I sure hope you all are on the right track, as I think that would have the best outcome for RM.
I have followed along + read most of the links that folks use to support their theories. Some of it has me :waitasec: At one point there was a link + quote which said something to the effect of (my words + questionable memory here) - 'of all missing person cases only 5% turn out to have left voluntarily'. Then there was a link that indicated - 'many of these cases are simply people who wanted to disappear'.
Now you can't have it both ways in my little brain. Many is not 5% to me.
Why does the majority here lean this way? I know all of your explanations of certain details + why you "feel" this is the case. I've seen the same in other cases as well + just never understood it.
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/08/31/vanished-dix-hills-father-still-missing-after-2-months/

BBM - To me this means they have no evidence YET. Maybe there was no crime + they will never have evidence. Maybe there was + down the road some little thing will come up + they will change their stance. I think - JMO again - LE might suspect many things but they can't say what, until or unless they have hard evidence to back it up.

Or maybe.... they suspect the same thing and that is why the lack of interest! I have heard Le say that many a time to a distraught person to get them to settle down while the report disapears at the bottom of their stack of cases only to be "forgotten". It is their official statement every time they dont know what is going on. (Not knocking Le at all...they have a lot to deal with and I am sure that unless something concerns them about the situation, some things have to take priority over someone misplacing their husband)

Then there was a link that indicated - 'many of these cases are simply people who wanted to disappear'.
Why does the majority here lean this way? I know all of your explanations of certain details + why you "feel" this is the case. I've seen the same in other cases as well + just never understood it.

Well, I don't happen to think the majority leans in any direction. Perhaps I don't speak for everyone, but my myriad of theories are buried deeply in the threads and I just don't have the time to hash and rehash them. Frankly, each one has a hole in it and any one outcome would be believable to me (except some of the really over the top ones I've read here over the last few days).

With no new info there's nothing much to talk about.

with all due respect, I too am on the fence about all scenerio's. When I first saw this I studied IM and thought (and drove my family crazy) forced tears. Then leaned to other side and said maybe something did happen. Went on searches and something strange happened (which I won't say). Then new stories happened. My question is why not have family members plead with the public besides IM for him to come home or to let him go. Have his mom plead for him to come home. On the searches I was on besides fb people it was only his brother. Why aren't other family members there. She said her son has searched. And again why did HBO guy disappear?

Right, but even with the realization that the loved one doesn't want to be found, comes the responsibility of child support and divorce and all of that which I would think that it would benefit the family to have child support and get on with life by getting a divorce.....unless it is saving face to say well you wouldn't leave me (but you did), but the public doesn't know that, so they possibly both get what they want...he leaves, and it looks "good" for her that the public thinks he is gone, but that he did not leave her on purpose.....
IMOO.

I am with you Tree-------I think its a family thing that went very public in a very embarrassing way.

I left phone messages with both the Park Ranger Captain in the video and with the head of Long Island Search and Rescue. I asked them both to call me back, even if they have been asked not to discuss the case by LE.

I guess we will see what happens.

Well, I don't happen to think the majority leans in any direction. Perhaps I don't speak for everyone, but my myriad of theories are buried deeply in the threads and I just don't have the time to hash and rehash them. Frankly, each one has a hole in it and any one outcome would be believable to me (except some of the really over the top ones I've read here over the last few days).

With no new info there's nothing much to talk about.
Understood. I have read previous theories + through all the threads, backwards + forwards. :D
Recently, I've seen a majority (or maybe I should say "a lot") of posts about him leaving voluntarily + it bothers me after a while. What if he didn't? What if something bad happened to him? It would be a terrible thing for so much time + possible evidence to be lost in that case. JMO

with all due respect, I too am on the fence about all scenerio's. When I first saw this I studied IM and thought (and drove my family crazy) forced tears. Then leaned to other side and said maybe something did happen. Went on searches and something strange happened (which I won't say). Then new stories happened. My question is why not have family members plead with the public besides IM for him to come home or to let him go. Have his mom plead for him to come home. On the searches I was on besides fb people it was only his brother. Why aren't other family members there. She said her son has searched. And again why did HBO guy disappear?
If you won't say, don't give a teaser, because now I'll have to imagine way too many off the wall strange things that might have happened. :scared:
My thought on why family may not be actively searching - What if something bad happened to him? What if he was suicidal? RM missing is grievous enough to his family. Would it really be a good idea to have an immediate family member be the one to stumble upon a crime scene or worse?

While I respect everyone's individual theories on what might have happened to RM, sometimes I "just don't get it". I'm not of the mind that he waltzed off into the sunset :bicycle:
I sure hope you all are on the right track, as I think that would have the best outcome for RM.
I have followed along + read most of the links that folks use to support their theories. Some of it has me :waitasec: At one point there was a link + quote which said something to the effect of (my words + questionable memory here) - 'of all missing person cases only 5% turn out to have left voluntarily'. Then there was a link that indicated - 'many of these cases are simply people who wanted to disappear'.
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/08/31/vanished-dix-hills-father-still-missing-after-2-months/

BBM - To me this means they have no evidence YET. Maybe there was no crime + they will never have evidence. Maybe there was + down the road some little thing will come up + they will change their stance. I think - JMO again - LE might suspect many things but they can't say what, until or unless they have hard evidence to back it up.

I am starting to lean the same direction as you after sitting on the fence for a while. My deciding factor will be what the Parks Department and SAR tell me or decline to tell me. I also would like to find out if a large scale search of the Preserve is planned, and if not, why.

Are you trying to let us know that in fact there is even more not to be released yet?

And no I didnt always feel he left volunarily.. as a matter of fact I am still on the :fence: as I stated before, I am honestly not much of a detective ...yet ...lol but either he left on his own and/or with someones help...IMO It is way too clean to be a random act of violence, and the "secret" other page is more concerned with supporting Ida than looking for RM. How does a page get the word out there if it is secret?? I admit I could be way off but what is that old saying?? "Something smells in Denmark?"
I'm not trying to let you know anything, because I don't know squat. I'm only saying most of the time LE does not release every detail they know of + IMO its common for them to hold back info known only to them. I mean they have to for the integrity of any investigation. I was giving one example of something that would not surprise me down the road.

I agree with your opinion of not being a random act of violence. It being "clean" could indicate a very well planned + orchestrated act of violence, IMO.
I've never committed to any 1 theory from up here :fence:
Its MOO that a voluntary walk away is the least likely. That's all.

Once again, since the FB page is closed, please do not discuss the happenings there. It is hearsay and not allowed.

Unfortunately, there were some decent posts amidst all of those unapproved that had to go by the wayside because they quoted the FB page's info in a chain...

I am starting to lean the same direction as you after sitting on the fence for a while. My deciding factor will be what the Parks Department and SAR tell me or decline to tell me. I also would like to find out if a large scale search of the Preserve is planned, and if not, why.
BBM - This has been on my mind all along. Early on this was an area that was suggested for searching (along with Pilgrim's acreage). I know they did some searching of both. As you have explained (very well to us non experts) these were cursory searches + we've not seen anything like a grid search. Hope I got that right, because I stepped in a quagmire commenting on this the other day. :eek:
I wish they had done something closer to a grid search immediately of both areas (I know they are near to each other, but I think they are 2 separate pieces of land). I've said too many times what I think is most likely to have happened + why. I think this would be the place to start. If something were found, possibly something minor, say his sunglasses, it would at least give investigators a clue + direction to go in. If nothing were found, it could be ruled out + other directions looked at with more focus. If that is not as clear as mud. JMO

JMO but I believe it is something less than 5% of missing people who met with foul play. A very small percentage, in any case. A link was posted last night that told how few MP are victims of foul play.

I'm not trying to let you know anything, because I don't know squat. I'm only saying most of the time LE does not release every detail they know of + IMO its common for them to hold back info known only to them. I mean they have to for the integrity of any investigation. I was giving one example of something that would not surprise me down the road.

I agree with your opinion of not being a random act of violence. It being "clean" could indicate a very well planned + orchestrated act of violence, IMO.
I've never committed to any 1 theory from up here :fence:
Its MOO that a voluntary walk away is the least likely. That's all.

I used to think the same thing..but then new info came out about the "minimal" amount of money left, his phone being discovered....in another drawer, finding out RM did in fact park in the same area at the station several years ago, despite repeated claims he "would never park his car there due to fear of theft". Dont get me wrong, again still on :fence: but what is not setting right with me on that side of :fence: is the new info of all his stuff being found in seperate drawers... actually this shoots a hole in all my theories...

BBM

The videos and media links posted a page or two back seem to be the norm in my experience. Some families take it to the next level with billboards and paid news spots. "If" (as one poster has noted) there has been a lack of cooperation from the media, the family is pretty much left to their own devices with input from SAR, LE and other support agencies on the best way to proceed.

Until evidence points one way or the other, I would not read too much into what has or has not been put out for all various reasons already hashed over a dozen times.

At least that's my humble opinion.

Let's stop a second and mull something over....

Say he did plan to go for a bike ride (money and cell phone in the drawers in the garage) and put the bike in the car. Why would he park the car at the train station? Is there a better and safer place to park in close proximity to the Preserve? Is it plausible that he felt the train station parking would be safer for the car than the lot at the Preserve?

Wth regard to the fact no scent was detected at the train station, the SAR K9 shown in the video is a German Shepherd. On average, they tend to be air scent dogs and in many cases do not discriminate one individual from another in a search area (there are exceptions). I am not saying this particular dog is not a ground scent dog, but I will note that one of the better and more common breeds of ground scent dogs is a bloodhound. So let's place the lack of scent at the train station aside due to type of dog and scent conditions and move forward.

Really a strange case with events happening that don't make sense.

What stands out to me is his expensive house - seems more like something out of the Sopranos. His kind of work and selling scrap, hastily planned trip to Italy, going missing right before Father's Day...

But I keep returning to the expensive house .... wonder if he was involved in something and like in the show, he was being flipped...

ETA - I can just picture Tony in the show telling Aide, "come back I'll keep you safe" ... after he learns she's been informing on him...

Let's stop a second and mull something over....

Say he did plan to go for a bike ride (money and cell phone in the drawers in the garage) and put the bike in the car. Why would he park the car at the train station? Is there a better and safer place to park in close proximity to the Preserve? Is it plausible that he felt the train station parking would be safer for the car than the lot at the Preserve?

Wth regard to the fact no scent was detected at the train station, the SAR K9 shown in the video is a German Shepherd. On average, they tend to be air scent dogs and in many cases do not discriminate one individual from another in a search area (there are exceptions). I am not saying this particular dog is not a ground scent dog, but I will note that one of the better and more common breeds of ground scent dogs is a bloodhound. So let's place the lack of scent at the train station aside due to type of dog and scent conditions and move forward.

Except, that may not be type of dog that was brought to the train station on June 15th.

JMO but I believe it is something less than 5% of missing people who met with foul play. A very small percentage, in any case. A link was posted last night that told how few MP are victims of foul play.
I was referring to a link posted quite some time ago (which I'm trying to dig up now, but this may take a while). :findinglink: At any rate it said something to the effect of it is 5% or less of all MP that go missing voluntarily. I am familiar with what you are referring to as well + read through that link too. My question to that was - how do they know that for sure? If the person is still missing, how do they know they didn't meet with foul play? If for instance remains are found 20 years later that indicate foul play, for 20 years there may have been no evidence + it may have been assumed they walked away voluntarily. Does that make sense? I'm not doing well with getting my thoughts typed out clearly today. Need more :cup:
I'm :back: to find that link so I can either correct myself for mis-remembering or to clarify what in the #($^% I'm trying to say here.

:abduction:
Many people, some connected to the media, sent dozens upon dozens of requests to multiple media outlets. It resulted mainly in what is out there now. Unfortunately most requests went ignored.

Because it is not sensational enough for the news. It appears as though this guy just got fed up and took off. That's how the story reads.

What I am interested in, why the MANHUNT after he left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lexus24