NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks, I've heard various versions of this report. So another question…When did the search start in this area?

I believe another poster just posted a quote from twitter that said about 5am? But I don't know for sure. I only just thought to switch on the local news instead of national this afternoon. d'oh!!

CNN (the Situation Room) isn't covering the search at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the one used to block off the one road may have been one of those used to bring in all the corrections officers who are also helping to line that area. Just personal thoughts on the matter though, no source available because it's just conjecture.

I think you are right. They would not bring in a correction bus if they found the fugitives, IMO. They'd put them in a cop car and take them in for questioning---NOT back to prison immediately. JMO

and then I guess they have the car then.

I'm unclear on which situation is how it went down based on them reporting different versions at different times. I'm not sure if it is intentional or not, but the most recent statement they made on TWCnews.com was that a civilian saw them on foot and they went into the woods when the civilian's headlights approached. I'm looking for/keeping an eye out for an article that takes an "official" stand on how this played out but at this time I'm afraid I just don't know.

Thanks, I don't usually follow events so soon as the reporting is all over the place and takes a bit to settle out.

"With police helicopters hovering overhead, hundreds of law officers in body armor poured into this small town in the Adirondack Mountains on Tuesday in a search for two killers who used power tools to break out of a maximum-security prison 30 miles away.

The hunt that began over the weekend focused on Willsboro, close to Lake Champlain, after residents reported seeing a couple of men walking on a road late Monday during a driving rainstorm.

Hundreds of black-clad searchers wearing bulletproof vests and sidearms methodically worked their way shoulder-to-shoulder in the rain through hilly woods, fields and swamps, checking every home, garage, shed and outbuilding, then yelling clear when there were no signs of the inmates."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-escaped-prisoners-20150609-story.html

TWCNews live on tv (feed at twcnews.com) - reporting live right now from "the hamlet of Boquet" - "efforts have apaprently moved on as nothing here was found" " the search was fruitless" .. ."as you can see nothing much is left".... showing video now of officers in brush/woods walking around ... "they were acting on a tip they received overnight, early this morning, of someone driving" and saw some people jumped off the road into the woods suspiciously..
"eventually merged on the [witness's] farm" .. searched a camper trailer, grain silos, barn... nothing was found...

Okay, they're interviewing a farmer now who woke to find troopers there... I'm sure lots of this will be online in an article soon enough. Looks like this search is over, and nothing was found. They may or may not have been there at all. They did confirm this search was for them, and did confirm they were NOT found, NO clues, etc.

I'm waiting for Wolf Blitzer to cover the story now.

Brian Dwyer ‏@Brian_TWCNews 8m8 minutes ago

VIDEO: Police Activity picking up South of Willsboro in the last hour or so. #PrisonBreakNY #Dannemora

Just turned to CNN and I see new news about the woman's cell phone being linked to the escapees. Looking for a link but can't find one yet so for now this will have to be considered rumor. Going back to TWCNews for now.

Starts with coverage on Joyce Mitchell:
"Source" states phone calls were made with Mitchell's cell phone to individual's potentially related to Richard Matt.
ETA:
Source not able to tell CNN who made those calls or when. Mitchell's family is defending they're mother, saying that she would never take part in an escape like this.

Live on The Situation Room (CNN.com)

The Willsboro town supervisor, Shaun Gillilland, said there was a report of a sighting of two men on foot early Tuesday morning near Middle Road, at the southern end of the town, setting off a frenzy of law enforcement activity.

<snip>

Driving rain during the night prevented law enforcement officials from conducting surveillance from the air, Mr. Gillilland said,
but officials were fanning out on Tuesday in the farms and fields near Middle Road.

BBM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/n...ction=article&isLoggedIn=false&pgtype=article

O My!

CNN reporting Mitchell's cell phone was used to make calls to peop connected to one of escapees

Reporter on Wolf's Show

Continued from CNN:
Search focusing in the area of Willsboro, NY (40 mi south of the prison)
Perimeter search continues
Buzz cut observed on one of the men & one appeared to be seen carrying a guitar case over his shoulder
Female prison employee who worked with both Sweat and Matt described as somewhat cooperative" while being interviewed
Authorities trying to determine if she provided cell phones, money, or even tools to the inmates
So far police have not said if she played any role in the escape

What we do know is the prisoners were allowed extra freedoms for good behavior, and that included being part of an "honor block"

I'm behind the live coverage now due to transcribing.... Using DVR

TWCNews.com live stream just said, paraphrasing as exactly as I could, "we have no confirmation, really, of whether the two men who were sighted in Essex county were Matt and Sweat".... "SWAT team officers and local law enforcement got back onto the buses and have left the area".

CNN just confirmed that Mitchell's cell phone WAS used to make phone calls connected to at least one of the suspects involved. Sources not able to say who or when those phone calls were made or if Mitchell was even aware. Still a very fluid situation.

:thinking:

My first thought regarding a cell phone if she was involved in the escape you would think a burner phone would have been used&#8230;any maybe one was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member