NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
from earlier...........bless these little reporters......

Vanessa Misciagna ‏@VanessaWPTZ 3h3 hours ago New York, USA

Heavy rain/lightening have begun in the area, have to put our live hits on hold. This is not going to be an easy search day for police
0 retweets 0 favorites
Vanessa Misciagna ‏@VanessaWPTZ 4h4 hours ago New York, USA

Beef jerky and cookies for lunch.. At 7AM #glamourouslifeofaTVreporter #PrisonBreakNY

Jon Leiberman (@reporterjon)
6/23/15, 10:06 AM
Federal source says "we should get them today" #PrisonBreakNY

Hi WS'ers,
I haven't posted in years but this situation has drawn me in. In 2001 I got married in Clinton Correctional Facility. I married my childhood sweetheart (turned out to be a mistake, but that's neither here nor there and one of many mistakes I have made along the way! :facepalm: ) Anyway, in the 10 years that I was visiting him in prisons all over NYS I learned a whole lot.

1. Inmates with good behavior get special privileges. This can be anything from time watching TV while they are "working" their assigned job to receiving contraband. While you could still smoke inside the prison, there was a CO that gave certain inmates cigarettes.

2. Some CO's will take a liking to a certain inmate and treat them like a regular person and not just an inmate. My husband was asked by CO to work fast at a certain job so that the CO could leave early that day. If my husband finished the job, he would go back to his cell, allowing the CO to leave because he didn't have to continue to supervise my husband. My husband finished up early and the next day, the CO brought him a plate of food. The CO's wife cooked deer for dinner the night before and sent the CO with a plate for my husband to thank him for getting the job done quickly.

3. Contraband, especially drugs run rampant even with security procedures in place. I met several women over the years that brought drugs on visits to give to their husbands or boyfriends to sell or use.

4. Some CO's just look at it as a job to do and go home. They don't go above and beyond. I met a CO on a visit in an upstate NY prison who told a room full of visitor's that he really doesn't care what we did on visits. His exact words were "I sit back and relax while you are on your visit and make my $55,000 a year, I'm not stressing out over it."

5. When I was visiting Clinton Correctional Facility, there were always guards standing at attention with guns, watching from those watch towers on top of the outside wall. From what I read, those towers are no longer manned 24/7 like they used to be.

People tend to think of max security prison as what it was meant to be instead of what it's become. Sweat and Matt were there for years. They were model prisoners to make it to the honor block. They were probably polite, friendly, helpful and well mannered towards the CO's and after years they probably weren't paid too much attention or looked at as a threat any longer.

While my husband was in max prisons he became cool with many CO's. They would crack jokes with him, talk about sports, wives, etc. My husband was a night porter and at night he would get his work done and the CO he worked with during those hours would unlock and let him go into an official room that had a TV with cable. He would grab a snack and watch movies for the rest of the night.

Once he was moved to medium security and minimum security prisons, it was even more lax. He wasn't in a cell anymore. He was in an open dorm (similar to OITNB) he had a hot plate and access to a microwave and cooking utensils. He was able to call me whenever he wanted to and he was even made the administrator of some programs where he taught other inmates. Being a model prisoner leads to many, many privileges in prison.

Inmates on visits wear state green pants and whatever solid colored shirts they want to as long as they are not blue, black, orange or gray. They are also allowed to wear sweat pants and other clothing in the jail. My husband used to ask for Old Navy sweatpants. They can also wear sneakers without an air bubble and boots without a metal plate in the sole and no steel toes.

That is totally fascinating.... and scary as heck. Thanks for posting all this info! I bet Clinton isn't the only prison in NY run with such casual indifference.

BTW, and FWIW, I bet there are folks who would be very interested in speaking with you- both in the media and in local/ state government.

It seems on google maps Studley Hill Rd is also called Duane Rd.
That road straight up has 2 names.
Hmmm.
That's weird.

Cant imagine the fear the people in the area must be living under. They are going to get more desperate and have nothing to lose by taking hostages. I hope they catch them today.

Retired trooper: "I know they were in the woods last night, and they (police) were pretty sure they were right in here." #PrisonBreakNY
8:34am - 23 Jun 15

https://mobile.twitter.com/EditorLois/tweets

If same ex- officer quoted elsewhere, where she's referring to is about 11 miles north of the Owl Head cabin, and there's a trail that runs directly between the 2 locations.

While everyone else within a 400 mile radius is tweeting about the manhunt, the governor is tweeting about.....maple syrup! :giggle:

@NYGovCuomo: Maple syrup production in New York hits 70-year high: http://t.co/QgwtuOcIxn #TasteNY http://t.co/XPJLhERg4O
[video=twitter;613354198051237888]https://twitter.com/nygovcuomo/status/613354198051237888[/video]

Keshia Clukey ‏@KClukey_TU 7m7 minutes ago

Helicopter overhead. Am still in the Titus area. Police looked to be talking to ski area employees when I passed

streebs (@streebs)
6/23/15, 11:22 AM
Topographic map: Black Cat Mountain & Wolf Pond Rd (fugitives DNA hunting cabin loc) #PrisonBreakNY #FranklinCounty pic.twitter.com/9rspsuEjWt

image.jpg

I'm wondering how many miles are between the two areas. Just at first glance looks like we can rule out that they had access to a vehicle. Bloody socks means friction in wet boots from lots and lots of walking. I hope these two get caught before I leave for Europe this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at photos and topo/trail maps for the Malone area and adding in back country backpacking experience:

1. Sure is densely forested. They are extremely unlikely to be bushwhacking completedly off trail. If they have been reduced to that, they're screwed. More likely is they're travelling parallel to marked trails or the like.

2. If they don't have GPS and maps with coordinates, they are running blind and can have only an approximate sense, at best, of where they are at any given time.

3. I doubt they're running blind in deep forest and just running and running. It's been drenching wet and chilly at night...they're most likely looking for shelter, even if its a natural shelter rather than risking another cabin.

4. Seems like sooner or later they're gonna have to risk being in a clearing of some sort, in order to get their bearings and/or scope out the most likely direction to travel in to find shelter or to stay forested.

Thinking there must by now be federal assets up there in the sky that can locate them if they emerge even that much...and maybe don't even need that break, if the area to search is narrowed down.

I'm wondering how many miles are between the two areas. Just at first glance looks like we can rule out that they had access to a vehicle. Bloody socks means friction in wet boots from lots and lots of walking. I hope these two get caught before I leave for Europe this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Have fun in Europe!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members