NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the paintings are not "elaborate" and really not worth spit in the art world. Much like Jodi Arias' stuff. For all the ridiculous antics and back-flips that had to be performed to produce them and get them out of the prison, I can't believe there was a worthwhile pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And whoever was involved in the activity, if being blackmailed, stood to lose a lot more than their job and family. JMO

There was the previous post that 1 of the paitnings got 2000.00 on ebay.

Maybe they were overly optimistic that his art was worth more than what it really was.

If they had not been familiar with artwork it may have floored them thinking the guy was the next Michealangelo.

But the paintings are not "elaborate" and really not worth spit in the art world. Much like Jodi Arias' stuff. For all the ridiculous antics and back-flips that had to be performed to produce them and get them out of the prison, I can't believe there was a worthwhile pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And whoever was involved in the activity, if being blackmailed, stood to lose a lot more than their job and family. JMO

Yeah the Hillary one was particularly cartcature-like IMO.

They'd be best off doing caricatures on a boardwalk someplace for $10 each IMO. High-end art this is not. JMO, and I admittedly am not into art so what do I know. But JMO this stuff would be worth the most in 100 years when descendants of Mike and Frank find them in a barn someplace behind a Mobilgas Pegasus while filming an episode of American Pickers v.3.0.

JMO

While we're connecting dots with Palmer, I found it interesting that he REFUSED to grant his wife a divorce and instead was willing to give her the house and continue to pay her premiums on her insurance, etc, despite clearly having a new girlfriend and home and wanting to go on with his life.

When asking myself what perk could possibly exist for him in doing this, I could only think of one thing:

Husbands and Wives cannot be forced to testify against one another (at least not in NY).

I read a couple of stories that paint GP as a great guy. His wife has MS and she insisted that they separate so that he would not be burdened by her disability. He did not divorce her so that she could keep his medical benefits and according to what I read he actually visited her all of the time and helped to take care of her. I just don't see him as the type to help convicts escape. I think that he was doing favors in order to stay in good standing with the prisoners for his own safety and for some perks that may have turned out to be financially advantageous at a later date. I do not think that he was part of the plan - I think that he made some bad decisions and got caught in the crossfire and became an unknowing accomplice. JMO If they can't find solid evidence the he knowingly and intentionally helped the escapees then I think they will force him into retirement which should keep his wife covered medically.

While we're connecting dots with Palmer, I found it interesting that he REFUSED to grant his wife a divorce and instead was willing to give her the house and continue to pay her premiums on her insurance, etc, despite clearly having a new girlfriend and home and wanting to go on with his life.

When asking myself what perk could possibly exist for him in doing this, I could only think of one thing:

Husbands and Wives cannot be forced to testify against one another (at least not in NY).

Good point. Maybe that explains the daily visits -- to ensure she stays loyal. Although the separation happened ten years ago -- was he dirty that far back? And was Matt there then??

I believe Epiphany (?) pointed out that he stood to lose more in a divorce settlement than his present arrangement. In a divorce, he'd lose the house anyway, most likely. And he'd probably still need to include her on his health insurance, due to her serious illness. And, because she's not able to work, he'd maybe need to pay alimony. And, she'd get half his pension and other financial assets.

I agree about the quality -- but apparently at least one was listed on ebay for $2000. So, not huge bucks, after Palmer took his cut, but, in quantity -- that could add up.

But do we know that the dogs tracked them around the cabin? I know they have been tracking but I don't remember reading that they had a real hit at the cabin. I could have missed it!

I felt certain I"d read that. Now I'm having a hard time finding a link to support it though. If anyone else has one please let me know! Thanks!

Good point. Maybe that explains the daily visits -- to ensure she stays loyal. Although the separation happened ten years ago -- was he dirty that far back? And was Matt there then??

I believe Epiphany (?) pointed out that he stood to lose more in a divorce settlement than his present arrangement. In a divorce, he'd lose the house anyway, most likely. And he'd probably still need to include her on his health insurance, due to her serious illness. And, because she's not able to work, he'd maybe need to pay alimony. And, she'd get half his pension and other financial assets.

BBM.

"Sweat was transferred to the Clinton Correctional Facility in October 2003."

<snip>

"Matt was transferred to the Clinton Correctional Facility in 2008. "

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Conv...e-County-deputy-escapes-prison-306368971.html

I felt certain I"d read that. Now I'm having a hard time finding a link to support it though. If anyone else has one please let me know! Thanks!

I looked too! I'm going to be out for a while, will check back in soon. Thanks.

There was the previous post that 1 of the paitnings got 2000.00 on ebay.

Maybe they were overly optimistic that his art was worth more than what it really was.

If they had not been familiar with artwork it may have floored them thinking the guy was the next Michealangelo.

LOL One has to wonder how much anyone would profit with so many people involved.... I DO hope that Matt's daughter is being investigated. JMO

LOL One has to wonder how much anyone would profit with so many people involved.... I DO hope that Matt's daughter is being investigated. JMO

And Tillie's daughter in law/ son's wife. She gave an interview in the very very early days that said specifically that if Tillie used her cell to contact anyone on behalf of Matt, it was just Matt's daughter and it was just about artwork.

That means she knew about the .paintings, she knew about Tillie helping Matt, she knew PLENTY. And if she knew, her husband knew JMO (Tillie's military son). And if THEY ALL knew, how could Lyle NOT know?? Come on. BS. IMO.

I don't understand why we haven't heard about them being questioned about knowing this 3 weeks ago, in all this time. I posted that quote in the very first thread here I believe.

ETA:

"She is thought to have let Matt use her cell phone, though her daughter-in-law said it was because he wanted to find out about a 'piece of art', according to CNN. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Oprah-Winfrey-sent-former-inmate-outside.html

Husbands and Wives cannot be forced to testify against one another
(at least not in NY).

BBM

Palmer has not been with his wife for about 10 yrs. His relationships with Matt & Sweat began after that. His wife would know nothing about any dirty involvement he has with the cons!

Not unheard of to not divorce wife bc in NYS, she would be entitled to the value of half of the house anyway (more or less).

The major benefits for him to remain married are all financial, issues like taxes (obvi tax break if married), paying her monthly maintenance or in this case, prob alimony (depending upon length of marriage, work history, health situation), paying her health care and sharing that nice fat pension of his.

It's all good for him!

ETA: O, just saw ur post, Abigail!

BBM

Matt has not been with his wife for about 10 yrs. His relationships with Matt & Sweat began after that. His wife would know nothing about any involvement he has with them.

If Sweat was there since 2003 how can we know Palmer didn't have a relationship with him before they separated?

For that matter, what's to say Sweat and Matt were his first-ever sketchy inmate-relationships?

"The officer, Gene Palmer, who has worked at the prison since 1987"
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/nyregion/corrections-officer-new-york-prison-escape.html?_r=0

If Sweat was there since 2003 how can we know Palmer didn't have a relationship with him before they separated?

For that matter, what's to say Sweat and Matt were his first-ever sketchy inmate-relationships?

"The officer, Gene Palmer, who has worked at the prison since 1987"
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/nyregion/corrections-officer-new-york-prison-escape.html?_r=0

ETA recently someone here posted a link to charges against Palmer re: stuff like this from before this case IIRC, anyone remember the post/link/story? I'll look for it. Can't quite recall if it was about this case but the dates went back further than expected or what. JMO until I find the link.

Palmer admitted in 2000 that he was trading perks for prisoners for information about illegal activity (This is something he's now finally in trouble for doing) -

" Matt ingratiated himself further with the guard by giving him “information on the illegal acts that inmates were committing within the facility,” Mr. Palmer told the police, part of an informal system of telling on fellow inmates that the officer credited in an interview in 2000 with helping him suppress misbehavior."

Epiphany I think that you meant to type Palmer.......hasn't been w wife for ten yrs. Might want to edit, just for clarity. JMO

ETA recently someone here posted a link to charges against Palmer re: stuff like this from before this case IIRC, anyone remember the post/link/story? I'll look for it. Can't quite recall if it was about this case but the dates went back further than expected or what. JMO until I find the link.

It's reasonable to believe that no other cons inside had anything of concrete value similar to these salable celebrity type portraits that could fetch him this kind of money on the outside.

Epiphany I think that you meant to type Palmer.......hasn't been w wife for ten yrs. Might want to edit, just for clarity. JMO

Haha! Simultaneously reading about Glenn Campbell Doc airing this weekend!

It's reasonable to believe that no other cons there had anything of concrete value similar to these salable celebrity type portraits that could fetch him this kind of money on the outside.

Well he was trading perks for info about illegal dealings at least as far back as 2000, 3 years prior to Sweat's arrival and 8 years prior to Matt's. Who knows what kind of concrete value those tips had in the eyes of his superiors. We do know that he was complaining about pay in the NPR interview yet someone here recently posted his salary as of the time he was put on leave as being in the range of like $90K IIRC.

It would seem to me that the gathering of information regarding illegal activities inside the prison was lucrative indeed.

JMO since I don't work there, obviously.

It's reasonable to believe that no other cons inside had anything of concrete value similar to these salable celebrity type portraits that could fetch him this kind of money on the outside.

Except, maybe, drugs LOL much more profitable!JMO

Except, maybe, drugs LOL much more profitable!JMO

The article I posted yesterday explained how a single pack of cigarettes can be sold in there for $300 ( http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/us/new-york-prison-break-contraband-smuggle/ ), an article everyone saw in the old thread talked about how throw away cell phones are worth $1000 in there, it's lucrative enough in there ( "It can be a lucrative endeavor for guards, too. One officer made $150,000 in one year smuggling cell phones to inmates, the Los Angeles Times reported." - same link ).

I wouldn't bother smuggling paintings out of a prison to pay to ship them across hte country and have ebay and paypal both take their sellers fees out of my sales (thereby leaving a paper trail as well, not to mention the trail from transferring sales funds from paypal into my bank account) when I could just put a couple of tracfones in my pocket.

JMO of course.

Can someone help re-orient me... where is the present so-called 'hot spot searching' occurring now/today? And, am I right to understand that the last (publicly known) reliable "evidence" was the DNA in the cabin a week ago? tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member