NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys I don't know anything about guns.

Some people here have questioned the camper being shot and a bullet hole being left, when taken in combination with the smell of gunpowder, and Matt having a 20 gage shotgun.

Do those not shoot bullets or something? Don't all guns smell like gunpowder after they're shot?

Can someone please explain the problems with this? TIA

Here's pictures of some shotgun shells. I'm no expert on shotguns or any other type gun but I believe the shell consists of the pellets, gun powder, wadding & propellants.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Shotgun-Ammunitation/104567580.uts

If they are building fires to stay warm, wont Sweat see them and realize he is surrounded?

CIl9LuKWIAAM6UY.jpg

Keshia Clukey ‏@KClukey_TU 4m4 minutes ago

I have my prison stripe socks on today for good luck #prisonbreakny

:hilarious: that should do it lol, she's so cute

THAT is what I mean.

That's all media has anymore.

(disclaimer - dont take this next statement wrong!):
This is pathetic. JMO not the post, her socks are cute, but you know. That's all we have left to talk about because Sweat is freaking gone and now we're just hemorrhaging cash. Great.

On Friday authorities closed in on Matt after a week of slim leads tightened the search like a noose. Last week, police found DNA matching one of the convicts [although this says "one," it links to an article that says DNA from both was found http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/22/dna-trace-new-york-prison-escapees] in a burglarized cabin in nearby Mountain View, only a few dozen miles from the prison town of Dannemora.

Around the same time, a hunter handed police a photograph caught by a trail camera: Matt and Sweat in the woods, the former with a shotgun in hand, unnamed law enforcement sources told the Daily Beast.

On Friday morning, investigators found candy wrappers and scraps of food in a camp, state police superintendent Joseph D’Amico said.

That afternoon, a man driving his RV heard what he thought was a tire going flat as he drove near the town of Malone. He called 911 when he found a bullet hole in the back of his recreational vehicle, police said.

Searching in the densely wooded area near Route 30, police cordoned off roads and scanned the forest with dogs. Around this time they got a second tip, distinguished from the hundreds of others by its proximity to the gunshot.

Mindful of police warnings to keep an eye on cabins in the region, another local had checked in on his hunting cabin, a friend told the Associated Press.

Inside, he smelled grape-flavored gin – and saw the bottle on his kitchen table, out of place from where it had stood untouched for years. He called police, who suspected that someone had fled through the cabin’s back door. They then caught the whiff of a recently discharged weapon.

A team from Border Patrol investigated, D’Amico said, adding: “As we were doing the ground search in the area, there was movement detected by officers on the ground.”

The movement was followed by what sounded like coughs – “so they knew that they were dealing with humans as opposed to wildlife,” D’Amico said.

The officers found Matt in the woods, D’Amico said, and “verbally challenged him, told him to put up his hands”. D’Amico said Matt turned, a 20-gauge shotgun in hand, and “was shot when he didn’t comply”.

Matt said nothing and did not fire at the officers, D’Amico said, and died not long afterward. They recovered the shotgun, and found two sets of footprints in the area.

“There’s no indication that Sweat wasn’t with Matt,” D’Amico said.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/27/new-york-manhunt-richard-matt-david-sweat

Keshia Clukey retweeted
R.J. James ‏@Rjamesnc 3m3 minutes ago

@KClukey_TU Questions w/ Clinton break & how NYS prison systems work listen Hacks With Loose Screws podcast. Great listen

If they are building fires to stay warm, wont Sweat see them and realize he is surrounded?

With the way the rain is falling during the live reports from the area, I'm surprised any fire will last for long today.

With the way the rain is falling during the live reports from the area, I'm surprised any fire will last for long today.

Who has live reports today? I hadn't seen any yet on CNN or TWCNews as of a few minutes ago. But then again I had the tv muted because they were complaining about confederate flags being banned from NASCAR.

I do understand why LE continues to search for Sweat. They cant spend all of this time, effort, and money and just stand down now and go home.

They cant and wont have the attitude of 'this is costing too much time and too much money so we are going to just let the cop killer roam free.'

I think both of these murderers are equally dangerous. One is dead but the other is still on the loose. If he can kill a cop he is capable of killing anyone including innocent others he may come upon. He has nothing to lose now. Nothing.

IMO

I'm just reading the quote again about the trail camera, and shifting focus to something else:

"Last week, police found DNA matching one of the convicts in a burglarized cabin in nearby Mountain View, only a few dozen miles from the prison town of Dannemora.

Around the same time, a hunter handed police a photograph caught by a trail camera: Matt and Sweat in the woods, the former with a shotgun in hand, "

So. This is VERY TELLING INDEED IMO.

The trail camera photo was snapped in Owl's Head/Mountain View near the first cabin where the DNA of both was found, at the time they were known to be there via the DNA and sighting.

That does NOT MEAN SWEAT EVER WENT TOWARDS MALONE.

All that does is confirm they were together at the FIRST CABIN which DNA already told us.

This doesn't tell us diddlysquat.

IMO.

I always felt Matt was the more dangerous one as well. But if you corner a sick dog and he has teeth, he would probably bite anyone.

Sweat is a cop killer. So to police he is the more dangerous one.

IMO LE needs to tell us whereabouts that trail camera was located in lieu of releasing the photo, or along with it.

I mean, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I dont think Sweat is even dangerous to anyone except cops who would put him back in jail. I think if he could blink his eyes and have this all go away and start over he probably wouldn't break the law again. They already got the scary dude. Now all that's left is someone who was afraid to go back to jail and shot a cop to avoid it, apologizing while he did so.

He regretted it even as he was doing it. He has no desire to continue a life of crime IMO.

respectfully snipped

While Matt was a sociopath, I think that Sweat is pretty cold and calculating, making him equally dangerous. His crimes have been meticulously planned and, while he has a particular hatred for LEOs, he groomed people at the prison in much the same way that Matt did. I believe he groomed Tillie for a long while before Matt worked in the tailor shop. This link is quite telling. http://www.pressconnects.com/story/.../10/david-sweats-brutal-path-prison/71017500/ I am looking for a link of his sister's comments about his early behavior as well.

My own feeling is that he may already be incapacitated in the wild from hypothermia and/or bad water. He was a planner and a mapmaker in his earlier crimes so I think he was the more informed one of the two but planning is no match for such harsh wilderness. If he had been with Matt, I would think that Sweat recognized that he was not long for the world with the ailments Matt had exhibited. I would guess that he left Matt, making Matt desperate. Matt shooting at the camper was meant to be Matt's getting what he wanted---- a quicker, more "humane" death by being shot rather than a prolonged illness where he grew steadily weaker and in more pain.

This is really bugging me....Where were they between June 6th and June 20th, when (presumably) one of them was seen running out of the Owls Head/Mountain View cabin, where their DNA was found? I can't believe that it took them two weeks to hike there nor can Ibelieve that they were lounging around at that cabin for more than a few days!!!....and NO reports of sightings, break-ins or evidence in between, EXCEPT for the footprints at the Mobil station (in the opposite direction.)JMO

Why not? There has been no report that the cabin had been checked since their escape other than the time they got caught in it. And if it is as far off the beaten path as reported, they definitely thought they were safe to lay low there for a while. (Especially if they were given directions to that specific cabin from a friendly CO.) I think that is exactly where they had been the whole time until that other CO went to check on it and they ran off.

Media should tell the people that after 3 weeks, S will have a beard (shaggy) and his hair will be 1 inch long now, dirty.

respectfully snipped

While Matt was a sociopath, I think that Sweat is pretty cold and calculating, making him equally dangerous. His crimes have been meticulously planned and, while he has a particular hatred for LEOs, he groomed people at the prison in much the same way that Matt did. I believe he groomed Tillie for a long while before Matt worked in the tailor shop. This link is quite telling. http://www.pressconnects.com/story/.../10/david-sweats-brutal-path-prison/71017500/ I am looking for a link of his sister's comments about his early behavior as well.

My own feeling is that he may already be incapacitated in the wild from hypothermia and/or bad water. He was a planner and a mapmaker in his earlier crimes so I think he was the more informed one of the two but planning is no match for such harsh wilderness. If he had been with Matt, I would think that Sweat recognized that he was not long for the world with the ailments Matt had exhibited. I would guess that he left Matt, making Matt desperate. Matt shooting at the camper was meant to be Matt's getting what he wanted---- a quicker, more "humane" death by being shot rather than a prolonged illness where he grew steadily weaker and in more pain.

I can't disagree with anything you wrote, except that I slightly disagree on the gunshot. But that's not the point of the post so, well-said.

If I could remember I'd tell you where I read that the hunter's photo (surveillance) was taken near Whippleville which is beyond Mountain View and getting closer to the Malone area. JMO

F
I'm just reading the quote again about the trail camera, and shifting focus to something else:

"Last week, police found DNA matching one of the convicts in a burglarized cabin in nearby Mountain View, only a few dozen miles from the prison town of Dannemora.

Around the same time, a hunter handed police a photograph caught by a trail camera: Matt and Sweat in the woods, the former with a shotgun in hand, "

So. This is VERY TELLING INDEED IMO.

The trail camera photo was snapped in Owl's Head/Mountain View near the first cabin where the DNA of both was found, at the time they were known to be there via the DNA and sighting.

That does NOT MEAN SWEAT EVER WENT TOWARDS MALONE.

All that does is confirm they were together at the FIRST CABIN which DNA already told us.This doesn't tell us diddlysquat.

IMO.

IF this is true & they think that the gun was picked up in that first cabin withe the DNA on both, the trail cam picked up both together...after they left that cabin? And Sweat was holding the shotgun. Matt ended up way down towards Malone with that shotgun. Nothing on Sweat since (that we know of). Still think Matt killed Sweat because he was a liability. Bad back problems & may have gotten injured (bloody sock). Matt was making a run for it trying to cross that border.

If I could remember I'd tell you where I read that the hunter's photo (surveillance) was taken near Whippleville which is beyond Mountain View and getting closer to the Malone area. JMO

Ah ha! Yes it is, halfway to Malone and right on the power lines trail. Doubling back down that trail one would of course reach not only Dannemora but eventually Loon Lake, Vermontville, and eventually the Adirondack Regional Airport. I would think they have good cell and internet service there.

Ironically Eric Frein was eventually captured at an abandoned airport hangar in the Poconos, identified in part by his internet use as I understand it.

Just thinking aloud. :thinking:

IMO LE needs to tell us whereabouts that trail camera was located in lieu of releasing the photo, or along with it.

Trail cameras are very popular with hunters. Nowadays many hunters have trail cameras affixed to trees/back of remote cabins in certain areas they hunt. Often it will show the deer and which path they take coming back and forth across the wooded area. Deer are habitual animals and tend to take the same trial to look for water and food.

So there should be trail cameras all in this area. I hope LE has told everyone who has a trail camera to look and see if they saw either or both suspects and contact them if they have them on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61