NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's really remarkable that nobody has wondered the whereabouts of this beautiful girl, except her immediate family and those of us here? What is up with that? Nobody that she went to college, for 4 years with, is wondering? That cannot be true-if you are one of our many "guests" who read the posts here, please join us-we want to know what you know...

I think it's really remarkable that nobody has wondered the whereabouts of this beautiful girl, except her immediate family and those of us here? What is up with that? Nobody that she went to college, for 4 years with, is wondering? That cannot be true-if you are one of our many "guests" who read the posts here, please join us-we want to know what you know...

Is it possible that because there was next to no investigation and little if any press, that her college crowd is not aware of her disappearance?

Does anyone know if friends called looking for her and if so, what they may have been told?

Is it possible that because there was next to no investigation and little if any press, that her college crowd is not aware of her disappearance?

Does anyone know if friends called looking for her and if so, what they may have been told?

Good questions Dushi! The only person that would know of any contact from anyone would have been Sylvia's mother...I did not have phone numbers of college crowd only HS and JrHS/GS. I called all I had numbers for.

I don't recall EL saying anything about anyone contacting/calling the home.

I am, and have been, in regular contact for 30 years, with a handful of college friends (and am married to my college sweetheart)-I realize that this may be sort of a "your mileage may vary" kind of social thing, but those 5 or so people would know at this point if I was missing. I think it's likely that someone, at some point since 1975, would have googled Sylvia's name, and now know that she is missing. I think I recall that she did not board at Wagner-I wonder if that significantly changed her social life with friends at college? Could be that, because she didn't live there, she did not form the same close relationships that might have developed with girls who lived at Wagner-maybe she made only casual acquaintences? It really saddens me that nobody outside of our two VIs, and the rest of us here seem to want to know what happened. I wonder if it is a fear of getting sucked into a legal situation, knowing that whatever information they have will not bring her back?

--Thinking about some ‘Nature Abhors a Vacuum ‘, thoughts today...

We don’t know why the BF/F wasn’t at the pool party, or how SL felt about that. Was it a big deal? --Or, ok fine, no big deal… Either way, was there someone at the pool party that is a part of the vacuum / equation? And if so, is it a motive for murder, or the person / place she went to on the night she disappeared?

I can understand the “will not handle” on the PR initially. What I have trouble with is when it became clear that “Sylvia, the runaway” was not coming home, why wasn’t there a sympathetic detective who understood what “no answers” would be doing to her family? So, where are they now in the case? The Cold Case Squad may have spent time on the case (jmoose post with Stacy Horn, The Restless Sleep). Was Wagner College contacted? -The list of everyone at the pool party? -Someone else? -There must be a clue, by now. –A couple of theories?

I went to the facebook site of the Wagner College Alumni Association and PMed to whoever administers the site, saying that I was looking for Sylvia Lwowski, and wanted to know if it would be appropriate to put that on their wall-i didn't actually say that she was missing, and haven't received a reply-could be nobody manages that facebook account, though.

bbm: Could this be? SL's college friends are not aware that she is missing? And yes, great question, Dushi. - I find I am wondering the opposite as well.

MMQC: When you and El went to Wagner the next day looking for Sylvia, did you talk to any of her friends, sorority, professors, staff? I wonder if EL was looking for a particular friend or person for information? --Left her contact information with someone in case SL was found? --Went back to Wagner again in the following days and weeks...

Considering that EL must have known Sylvia was upset about the pool party and not speaking to her father, and was told by the BF/F they had a fight and she ran off (according to the BF/F), I wonder if El had a particular friend from the Wagner group in mind? Did El keep a log, journal, notes after her disappearance?

The pool party guests saw SL a week or so before? I wonder if they were contacted or visa-versa? --Were any of those guests mutual friends of SL and the BF/F?

Sylvia was upset after the pool party incident.
Was it possible that these "friends" just assumed she wanted no contact?

And if EL spoke to anyone at Wagner, what would she have said, keeping in mind she wanted no publicity.

How close a relationship did sylvia have with the Wagner crowd and what was their reaction at the pool party?

Reading back, I see that MMQC said that her wagner associates looked down their noses at the pool party incident.

Did that make a difference in their interest in persuing the friendship after that night?
IMO, if this group laughed at her situation, its not a far stretch that they wrote her off as part of their group

-Sylvia, being engaged to someone outside of school undoubtedly placed her at a distance from 'the college party-dating scene'. -But not attraction...

I would think she was close with her sorority and the band? That was a nice image that ASWDH gave of SL reading to the blind at the beach, doing good deeds with her sorority.

I wonder what her thesis was about? Was she close to her adviser?

I interpret the 'No Publicity' as no public media blitz. When EL was getting no answers from the BF/F or LE, she went to Wagner looking for answers. (IMO)

Did EL go twice to Wagner?
When did she go? I thought she went the following day

Reading back, I see that MMQC said that her wagner associates looked down their noses at the pool party incident.

Did that make a difference in their interest in persuing the friendship after that night?
IMO, if this group laughed at her situation, its not a far stretch that they wrote her off as part of their group

Sounds like the incident at the party was awkward to say the least, even for the snooty ones. -But, for fellow grads to write her off as friends, even after they find out she is missing?

IMO -These two events, party and disappearance are way too close on the timeline for this group not to know she is missing. Was she shunned by people who could not separate an incident from a person? Why? College years are full of mortifying experiences. -To me, this does not add up to Sylvia, the disciplined college grad, or musician in two groups. She was not a loner without friends. -Was she?

So, where is this group, now? Perhaps the word on the street, something about her BF/F filtered back and no one wanted to get involved - that I could see.

--Sylvia and her father commuted to Wagner together. IIRC: -Sylvia's father worked at Wagner? -Or, did he work somewhere else in the area? If he worked at Wagner, did he talk to anyone about her disappearance?

Is it possible that someone who knew the circumstances of her disappearance supplied misinformation to her parents (possibly took advantage of circumstance)? -Knowing the BF/F is the last person to see her. Someone from the pool party group?

Yes you are right father worked at Wagner. Don't know what his job title was maybe MMQC would know? Oh my, could that be another reason why Sylvia was especially angry with her father about the pool party incident? Her father worked at the same college she attended. Friends might tell other friends on campus about about what happened causing more embarrassment.

bbm: Could this be? SL's college friends are not aware that she is missing? And yes, great question, Dushi. - I find I am wondering the opposite as well.

MMQC: When you and El went to Wagner the next day looking for Sylvia, did you talk to any of her friends, sorority, professors, staff? I wonder if EL was looking for a particular friend or person for information? --Left her contact information with someone in case SL was found? --Went back to Wagner again in the following days and weeks...

Considering that EL must have known Sylvia was upset about the pool party and not speaking to her father, and was told by the BF/F they had a fight and she ran off (according to the BF/F), I wonder if El had a particular friend from the Wagner group in mind? Did El keep a log, journal, notes after her disappearance?

The pool party guests saw SL a week or so before? I wonder if they were contacted or visa-versa? --Were any of those guests mutual friends of SL and the BF/F?

We went to the sorority floor in the dorm. As far as staff? JL,sr still worked there. I would assume that was taken care of through him? Or maybe not as they were a private family.

Can't say about any log or journal. For that you'll have to ask other VI. As for the rest of the friends, I really can't say.

Wagner College Movie 1975 - YouTube

Off topic for Sylvia but on topic for Wagner College. Footage from 1975 students "play acting". Oddly enough song for video has something to do with being made a fool. Another video by this same person has the song "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover". Girl in video is wearing a white scarf around her neck, hence to question to MMQC if Sylvia ever wore scarfs, I was wondering if that was the style them with most of the girls.

Contact Us

National Contact Information for Tau Beta Sigma

Tau Beta Sigma Headquarters
P.O. Box 849
Stillwater, OK 74076-0849

1-800-543-6505

I wonder if the society would have anything in their archives about Sylvia?

Thanks Rose, its also a good thing they have a 1-800 number don't have time to call today but if I get a chance I will try.

Wagner College Movie 1975 - YouTube

Off topic for Sylvia but on topic for Wagner College. Footage from 1975 students "play acting". Oddly enough song for video has something to do with being made a fool. Another video by this same person has the song "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover". Girl in video is wearing a white scarf around her neck, hence to question to MMQC if Sylvia ever wore scarfs, I was wondering if that was the style them with most of the girls.

Wow, Skeet -What an interesting (really bad!) period piece student film! -A little like the Keystone Cops but with an eerie connection? I see what you are wondering -was a scarf a signature look for Sylvia with her long blond hair?

- I still have all my scarves from the 70's. I think it was very much a style accessory, back then. I still think it is a great look. --But one had to be careful -no flowing scarves in convertibles as we were reminded about the fate of Isadora Duncan.

I am, and have been, in regular contact for 30 years, with a handful of college friends (and am married to my college sweetheart)-I realize that this may be sort of a "your mileage may vary" kind of social thing, but those 5 or so people would know at this point if I was missing. I think it's likely that someone, at some point since 1975, would have googled Sylvia's name, and now know that she is missing. I think I recall that she did not board at Wagner-I wonder if that significantly changed her social life with friends at college? Could be that, because she didn't live there, she did not form the same close relationships that might have developed with girls who lived at Wagner-maybe she made only casual acquaintences? It really saddens me that nobody outside of our two VIs, and the rest of us here seem to want to know what happened. I wonder if it is a fear of getting sucked into a legal situation, knowing that whatever information they have will not bring her back?

BBM1: LOL :)

BBM2: I think you're right. I went to college for one year after high school where I lived in a dorm. Five years later, I went back to a different college, where I was a commuter. I have several friends today from the one year at the first college, one from the school I attended for four years as a commuter. Of course, by then, I was also a few years older than the others and that could have played a part too. But I do remember difficulty "connecting" being a commuter woe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18