Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These quotes have been trimmed by me and BBM:
I would think she was close with her sorority and the band? That was a nice image that ASWDH gave of SL reading to the blind at the beach, doing good deeds with her sorority.

IMO -These two events, party and disappearance are way too close on the timeline for this group not to know she is missing. Was she shunned by people who could not separate an incident from a person? Why? College years are full of mortifying experiences. -To me, this does not add up to Sylvia, the disciplined college grad, or musician in two groups. She was not a loner without friends. -Was she?

Yes you are right father worked at Wagner. Don't know what his job title was maybe MMQC would know? Oh my, could that be another reason why Sylvia was especially angry with her father about the pool party incident? Her father worked at the same college she attended. Friends might tell other friends on campus about about what happened causing more embarrassment.

Oops. Posted this before I wrote anything! So all ETA.

BBM1 & BBM2: I am still struggling with all of the above. The picture of SL on the beach, the perfect student, lover of animals and children, practiced musician ... how does that fit with "the kick"? I see that as a disconnect.

As to loner, we are only hearing of a history with one friend. I think it's possible to move with a group and still not be connected, but who knows what the truth was.

BBM3: You're right, Skeet, that's an interesting 3-way connection we haven't really looked at, have we ... SL, JL Sr., SL's friends. Amazing to still pull something new from all of this. Nicely done. I mean, I know we discussed JL Sr. working at Wagner, but not how that effected SL. Was he an embarrassing presence to her on campus (the way so many kids see their parents)? How does that fit with the Cinderella-like picture of SL? And how does the universally experienced embarrassment over a parent lead to a "the kick"? IMO, it's not the typical response ...

Really, for me, "the kick" only connects with one other fact that we're aware of -- throwing the glasses on the dashboard -- and that is suspect for so many other reasons. What are we missing? Or what am I missing? Is it possible that, as a consequence of the times and SL being a young woman who did not easily get to know others deeply, people developed a superficial, idealized view of who she was? Are "the kick" and the "glasses" chinks of light in an otherwise murky portrait?

Wagner College Movie 1975 - YouTube

Off topic for Sylvia but on topic for Wagner College. Footage from 1975 students "play acting". Oddly enough song for video has something to do with being made a fool. Another video by this same person has the song "Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover". Girl in video is wearing a white scarf around her neck, hence to question to MMQC if Sylvia ever wore scarfs, I was wondering if that was the style them with most of the girls.

OMG, was that the Allman Bros.?! Time travel is possible ...
Thanks, Skeet: Another song that's going to be in my head for days :)
ETA: Those seem to be sort of forerunners of music videos. Is it possible to contact the filmmaker through YouTube?

Don't know what his real name is, but he has a third video, not of Wagner but of a town called Nelliston NY, I am just guessing that is where he might live. O/T I think I read that Law and Order and SVU have some sort of a connection to Wagner, can't remember what type now will have to look. I think one of those show's did a story on "The Boy In The Box", the story was not exact but close. To bad they couldn't do something like this for Sylvia, or even the shows they have on Investigation ID, think a family member has to contact them though.

These quotes have been trimmed by me and BBM:

Really, for me, "the kick" only connects with one other fact that we're aware of -- throwing the glasses on the dashboard -- and that is suspect for so many other reasons. What are we missing? Or what am I missing? Is it possible that, as a consequence of the times and SL being a young woman who did not easily get to know others deeply, people developed a superficial, idealized view of who she was? Are "the kick" and the "glasses" chinks of light in an otherwise murky portrait?

Snipped and BBM-

Hmm...I wonder if this is true, or if these two incidents (if the glasses throwing incident even took place as described) highlight an overabundance of stress, causing a person not normally inclined to violent behavior, to act out in this way. These are two episodes that would be unexpected in normal rational people-there had to be a reason that wasn't solely based on the pool party incident. I have some difficulty thinking that Sylvia's father's love of beer is the sole contributing factor in this. Lots of people have parents who drink too much and behave in a silly way-and in the 70's, drinking wasn't looked at in quite the same way-you wouldn't even necessarily get arrested for drunk driving in those days. There is something in this story that we aren't yet aware of, I think.

Either Sylvia was more naturally inclined to volatile behavior than we (or our VIs) think, or she had some sort of mood disturbance that was beginning to surface, or there was something that took place that we have yet to discover (most likely, I imagine). I am hoping that someone else who knew her at Wagner, or anywhere else, can shed some light.

I think both GBMG and JMoose have hit on something very interesting in regards to Sylvias behavior .

I have no recall of the VI's ever mentioning Sylvia being a volatile person.
But she behaves quite violently in two incidence

I think both GBMG and JMoose have hit on something very interesting in regards to Sylvias behavior .

I have no recall of the VI's ever mentioning Sylvia being a volatile person.
But she behaves quite violently in two incidence

Yes, it doesn't sound as if it is generally in her nature as a young girl and teenager to have these kinds of outbursts, as if she had no impulse control, based on what our VIs have said-this is why I think something happened, or maybe it is related to the abortion that she had. Her impulse to fight with her boyfriend may have put her in harm's way somehow.

I think there is quite possibly a fiery aspect to Sylvia – like a marching band.

I wonder if Sylvia was the first generation college grad in her family. The pool party was a graduation party and this is a big transition time for young people. Perhaps the sorority members are there and she wants to impress this group. Sororities are big on status and achievements. They bring their significant others. She is engaged to be married. Where is her BF/F? Then, her father upstages her party. I have to say – I would be furious. And, if it wasn’t the first time something like that happened, I could be mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, furious.

--Not knowing why her BF/F is not at the party, could she have been really upset and disillusioned with a couple of men in her life?

I see her behavior as reactive – is she hauling off and socking it to the men in her life, or having a temper tantrum? –Like kicking the door, is she kicking her father like the door, or doubling him over kicking him? Was he so disrespectful to her that she showed him the same? So while I agree with GBMG, the “kick” is not typical, neither is her father’s behavior typical. Fathers are supposed to be proud and supportive of their daughters. -And I could write him off as a fool at my age now, but at 22? -Maybe not.

Throwing the eye glasses (if that even happened) and storming off from the car on the street feels like a temper tantrum (imo). But there is more because she vanishes. So, who else is on the radar at this time in her life? -Because if it did play out like the BF/F said, then she also could have walked away from her life, saw no one was looking for her “no publicity”, and really walked away from her life. Is this the piece that LE knows?

So, today, GBMG’s question ‘what am I missing’ is my question too. If the BF/F did her mortal harm, then there must be a known missing piece: knowledge of another romance, knowledge of the argument, knowledge of political and or other connections, knowledge of certain actions after she vanished, knowledge of behavior in him that would give absolute certainty to knowing his capability to commit the act of killing someone else, knowledge of motive.

The ring is not a motive but an affair is. Did she find herself spontaneously in the arms of a sympathetic someone in reaction? Sometimes anger goes that way, too. Did she break off her engagement? Did he break off the engagement? Did they fight and spontaneously break off the engagement? Did he find out something that she wasn’t prepared for?

I think there is quite possibly a fiery aspect to Sylvia – like a marching band.

I wonder if Sylvia was the first generation college grad in her family. The pool party was a graduation party and this is a big transition time for young people. Perhaps the sorority members are there and she wants to impress this group. Sororities are big on status and achievements. They bring their significant others. She is engaged to be married. Where is her BF/F? Then, her father upstages her party. I have to say – I would be furious. And, if it wasn’t the first time something like that happened, I could be mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, furious.

--Not knowing why her BF/F is not at the party, could she have been really upset and disillusioned with a couple of men in her life?

I see her behavior as reactive – is she hauling off and socking it to the men in her life, or having a temper tantrum? –Like kicking the door, is she kicking her father like the door, or doubling him over kicking him? Was he so disrespectful to her that she showed him the same? So while I agree with GBMG, the “kick” is not typical, neither is her father’s behavior typical. Fathers are supposed to be proud and supportive of their daughters. -And I could write him off as a fool at my age now, but at 22? -Maybe not.

Throwing the eye glasses (if that even happened) and storming off from the car on the street feels like a temper tantrum (imo). But there is more because she vanishes. So, who else is on the radar at this time in her life? -Because if it did play out like the BF/F said, then she also could have walked away from her life, saw no one was looking for her “no publicity”, and really walked away from her life. Is this the piece that LE knows?

So, today, GBMG’s question ‘what am I missing’ is my question too. If the BF/F did her mortal harm, then there must be a known missing piece: knowledge of another romance, knowledge of the argument, knowledge of political and or other connections, knowledge of certain actions after she vanished, knowledge of behavior in him that would give absolute certainty to knowing his capability to commit the act of killing someone else, knowledge of motive.

The ring is not a motive but an affair is. Did she find herself spontaneously in the arms of a sympathetic someone in reaction? Sometimes anger goes that way, too. Did she break off her engagement? Did he break off the engagement? Did they fight and spontaneously break off the engagement? Did he find out something that she wasn’t prepared for?

I think we all have the potential to flip out every now and again. You know what I mean. There is always someone out there that can flip your switch. I've been there myself. Right time, right situation and I'm a different person with rage and anger. It takes a lot to bring me to that point though, but I have been there at least 5 times in my 60 year life time that I can remember.

Looking back to when we were kids I never really saw SL flip her switch till the party.

I think we all have the potential to flip out every now and again. You know what I mean. There is always someone out there that can flip your switch. I've been there myself. Right time, right situation and I'm a different person with rage and anger. It takes a lot to bring me to that point though, but I have been there at least 5 times in my 60 year life time that I can remember.

Looking back to when we were kids I never really saw SL flip her switch till the party.

All BBM: Thanks, MMQC. We've been trying to make sense of this for a while now. Was the shopping trip before the movie date the only time you and SL got together between the party and the time she disappeared? You've said that SL and JL were still not talking to one another. Did SL talk about what happened? Did she say what pushed her over the edge to such uncharacteristic behavior? Was the hand-walking a last straw of some kind? What do you think made this the "right time, right situation" for SL?

--More thoughts –

Yes, I do know what you mean, MMQC. IMO -when that flip of the switch happens, we often scare ourselves, too.

-- I think what you are saying about Sylvia ties into the PR (something EL knew), and then her disappearance, in a sequence of events. We don’t have a crystal ball and the road signs in some people are nonexistent. After the party, I gather she retreated into a “Fort Knox silence” with her father. In her retreat, things look normal, just not speaking to her father, but how was she processing the freak out, damage control with the party guests, etc.? To not speak to someone you live with is an edgy, steely cold place to be, and so very sad as I am sure she and her father would have worked it out and forgiven each other. But this tells me something deeper was possibly quite suppressed in her. -Maybe the bigness of it is unbeknownst to her, as well?

-And, in this sequence there is her BF/F –and the pieces of Sylvia that he knows. The impression I am getting is he is not a part of something that is happening to her, maybe is intolerant of her emotions, has her on the image pedestal of the future good wife, and then something crashes. Which way does it go? Yes, quite possibly something escalated and he went beyond the point of no return. It sure looks that way. –But, I also see how easy it would have been in 1975 for her to sail away into another life.

Something that puzzles me is --if the BF/F had nothing to do with her disappearance (except as catalyst) wouldn’t he want to know what happened to the beautiful woman who was to be his wife, as much as anyone else? - Even if they broke up? -Even if she threw the ring and stormed off into the night? Even after being hostile to everyone… Or, does he know what happened?

These are just thoughts - Because we don’t always know what can send a young person over the edge, I have had some dark thoughts about Sylvia, too, such as: if she was unable to cope with her decision to leave, or find her way back, could she have committed suicide under an assumed name at a later date? Are there any suicides in the family (previous generations)? Or, were the mental hospitals ever checked 5-10 years later? I say this because of my own family history, and also because a high school girlfriend of mine (sweetest girl ever) became schizophrenic in her early 20’s. It was quite sudden. She was in and out of the mental institution. I would take her in when she was roaming the streets. And, thankfully she is “ok” as someone can be but hers was a rough ride, to be sure…

Freak outs and breakdowns are often about the truth- imo. When my switch flipped at 24 years old, I went silent. My usually sunny disposition fell dark. -The life force was absolutely drained. I had been so adult, on my own for years and I had to stop, look around, go home to my mother for a while, ditch some people who were not good for me, and really look at my life. It took a year for me to calm down and finally hear the voice that was trying to emerge amidst all the chaos.

--More thoughts –

Yes, I do know what you mean, MMQC. IMO -when that flip of the switch happens, we often scare ourselves, too.

-- I think what you are saying about Sylvia ties into the PR (something EL knew), and then her disappearance, in a sequence of events. We don’t have a crystal ball and the road signs in some people are nonexistent. After the party, I gather she retreated into a “Fort Knox silence” with her father. In her retreat, things look normal, just not speaking to her father, but how was she processing the freak out, damage control with the party guests, etc.? To not speak to someone you live with is an edgy, steely cold place to be, and so very sad as I am sure she and her father would have worked it out and forgiven each other. But this tells me something deeper was possibly quite suppressed in her. -Maybe the bigness of it is unbeknownst to her, as well?

-And, in this sequence there is her BF/F –and the pieces of Sylvia that he knows. The impression I am getting is he is not a part of something that is happening to her, maybe is intolerant of her emotions, has her on the image pedestal of the future good wife, and then something crashes. Which way does it go? Yes, quite possibly something escalated and he went beyond the point of no return. It sure looks that way. –But, I also see how easy it would have been in 1975 for her to sail away into another life.

Something that puzzles me is --if the BF/F had nothing to do with her disappearance (except as catalyst) wouldn’t he want to know what happened to the beautiful woman who was to be his wife, as much as anyone else? - Even if they broke up? -Even if she threw the ring and stormed off into the night? Even after being hostile to everyone… Or, does he know what happened?

These are just thoughts - Because we don’t always know what can send a young person over the edge, I have had some dark thoughts about Sylvia, too, such as: if she was unable to cope with her decision to leave, or find her way back, could she have committed suicide under an assumed name at a later date? Are there any suicides in the family (previous generations)? Or, were the mental hospitals ever checked 5-10 years later? I say this because of my own family history, and also because a high school girlfriend of mine (sweetest girl ever) became schizophrenic in her early 20’s. It was quite sudden. She was in and out of the mental institution. I would take her in when she was roaming the streets. And, thankfully she is “ok” as someone can be but hers was a rough ride, to be sure…

Freak outs and breakdowns are often about the truth- imo. When my switch flipped at 24 years old, I went silent. My usually sunny disposition fell dark. -The life force was absolutely drained. I had been so adult, on my own for years and I had to stop, look around, go home to my mother for a while, ditch some people who were not good for me, and really look at my life. It took a year for me to calm down and finally hear the voice that was trying to emerge amidst all the chaos.

All I can say is "thank you"

--More thoughts –

Thanks for that, Rose. I had a similar experience a few years later in my 20s and, hard as it was at the time, I am grateful for it. It made me start living as me. I am not 100% sure, if I had disappeared on the brink of that experience, what signs I would have left behind ... what people would say they observed of my relationship at the time, or the things I talked about. I did always keep a journal. I know my "implosion" had been building for years, I just wasn't willing to acknowledge it. Were others? Would my own trail have been as cold as this one? Would yours, do you think? This sort of thing is definitely possible for SL. The little she left behind leaves us connecting very few dots to get there, but this is also my best guess for whatever happened to her -- be it murder, flight, or suicide.

While it says nothing about what did happen, I like to think she was starting to realize what she wanted from her future. Here she was, what appears to be the first in her family to go to college, studying bio/science (at the time, a male-dominated field). She had already had (at least two) sexual relationships, one deemed "casual" by her BFF (but that became very serious by virtue of the abortion), and another leading to engagement. By now, she may have figured out what she wanted from relationships, as opposed to what she could give. What we see as her trajectory with the BF/F may have been the path she was programmed for -- the one she and everyone else thought she would take (traditional Plan A, so to speak) -- but by Sept. 1975 she may have just been going through the motions.

Meanwhile, the seeds of Plan B may have been germinating. "Bio major" suggests some brains for me, and after she "tried out" the traditional path, I can totally see her freaking out about it and looking over her shoulder for Plan B. She was interested in marine biology. Woods Hole and San Diego would have been the places to be. Maybe she was thinking of getting a masters, maybe a lab job, maybe a job training dolphins at Sea World! Who knows? But the whole world was in front of her -- how could she not see that? How could she not want a bite?

I see a break-up, initiated by her, as potentially emerging from that, with unexpected consequences. But what if she could not accept the change in herself? Self-loathing and turmoil could have led to the rash choice of suicide. And if she thought the mess she was leaving behind in making such a choice would be too hard to clean up, she could have left. We do not really know what her family relationships were like; there could have been reasons she never looked back.

As to the possibility of suicide, I agree it is a legitimate possibility, both in the way you describe (as a later event or with a mental imbalance as a complicating factor) and as a contemporary one (1975). Difficulty accepting the kind of life transformation we're talking about, or fear that others won't be able to accept it, can end this way. I know it's been said on the thread that there were no signs. But having worked around high schools, I have seen more families than I care to remember say just that after a young person's suicide: They were always so good, such a good student, we didn't think anything was wrong. I know the absence of a body presents another barrier for this, but I still don't think it's impossible -- esp. bc we don't know where she might have done this.

The usual disclaimer: I am not saying I think this is what happened. I am just unable to eliminate it. Ironically, I don't think we know much more than we did at the beginning of thread one! Deeper reasons for the same range of possibilities. All JMO.

Re the BBM:
Acc. to ASWDH's T2 Post 806 (BBM):
"As far as the overall search has now proceeded, All mental hospitals in the U.S. were checked, passport office for a match, all airport, cruise ships, charters, any means of transport out of the U. S. were checked. All prisons, missing or unidentified bodies/coroner dept all states."

I wonder if there has been any more info given to the bother after the interview? You would think there would be SOMETHING. ANYTHING!!!

I wonder when the Charlie Project is going to provide their source links. Or, was the goal to connect names and have it show up first on a Google search? Who found her glasses? Where is it stated they are broken? Where is the source for that fact? The police report?

Unfortunately that is the kind of information that can really backfire especially if it was taken and interpreted from the speculations on this thread. No big deal really unless someone who knows something else may see the possible misinformation as a real asset in that no other possibility is being pursued.

I wonder if there has been any more info given to the bother after the interview? You would think there would be SOMETHING. ANYTHING!!!

Skeet-jumping off your post...

I wonder too, but today I am cynical. Still, I do believe that the raising of awareness as it unfolds (unravels) will eventually solve this mystery.

I wonder when the Charlie Project is going to provide their source links. Or, was the goal to connect names and have it show up first on a Google search? Who found her glasses? Where is it stated they are broken? Where is the source for that fact? The police report?

Unfortunately that is the kind of information that can really backfire especially if it was taken and interpreted from the speculations on this thread. No big deal really unless someone who knows something else may see the possible misinformation as a real asset in that no other possibility is being pursued.

BBM1: I just followed up on this. She answered my first email really quickly, offering the source dox, but since I said "yes" I haven't heard back from her. It's been just a day over two weeks. I am sure she's just busy. She did give me the name of the person who provided the source dox to her, but the name was unfamiliar to me and I don't think it's appropriate to post it here. I sent it to ASWDeerHunter.

BBM2: She gave me no indication that this is the case. I think she meant the dox listed as sources on SL's CP page, but it is JMO.

BBM1: I just followed up on this. She answered my first email really quickly, offering the source dox, but since I said "yes" I haven't heard back from her. It's been just a day over two weeks. I am sure she's just busy. She did give me the name of the person who provided the source dox to her, but the name was unfamiliar to me and I don't think it's appropriate to post it here. I sent it to ASWDeerHunter.

BBM2: She gave me no indication that this is the case. I think she meant the dox listed as sources on SL's CP page, but it is JMO.

bbm: So she received information from a source and updated site, SL case. Why is she not posting source links I wonder?

You're not going to believe this. The Charley Project administrator just emailed me the source documents. Guess what they were? The engagement notice and the police report! I sent the following email in response. Any thoughts for if and when she emails me back? (These are essentially the same Qs I sent her in my first email, and she "answered" them by sending me the source dox.)

M, thanks so much for that! I received the engagement notice and the police report from you. I am familiar with both documents, but I have a few questions for you based on what I see in these and on Sylvia's Charley Project page:

(1) You have the Altoona Mirror and The Bedford Gazette listed as sources on SL's page: Are you saying this is where the engagement announcement was published? We have been unable to confirm that by searching those sites. Also, it seems odd, since SL was from Staten Island. If you are saying this is where they were published, can you say how you know?

(2) You also have NamUs listed, which I assume refers to SL's NamUs page. My Qs, which are in bullets after the quotes, refer to the parts of the NamUs description and CP description that are in bold:
NamUS: "On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie. He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since."​
Charley Project: "After her disappearance, her glasses were found in C's car; they were broken."​
  • I can see how you put two and two together to get to the name you've posted on the CP page (CJC), but what made you add the name on April 15? Did someone provide new information?

• Also, regarding this part -- "her glasses were found in C's car; they were broken." -- what is your source for these details? As I mentioned below, I am in contact with Sylvia's best friend and Sylvia's brother through the Websleuths.com forum, and we have not been able to find any source that verifies the glasses were actually broken or recovered. These details are not in the case report. Also, they too appear to have been added on April 15. Can you say why?
Thanks so much for your time!

Okay, re Q 1, she says that she thinks the newspaper names may be artifacts from an old MP page she copied over to create SL's page and she removed them.

Regarding Q2, she fwd'd me the email of the person who sent her the engagement announcement and case report, and in the email, this person give the detail about the glasses being found and broken. I sent this followup (names removed):

I did rec'v the fwd'd email. Thanks for that too. I see that in the email ___ says "Her broken glasses were found in his car" but that is not in the sources. Do you think that that could have been ___'s interpretation? Do you know anything about her? Is she someone with knowledge of the case? LE? Friend? Family? FYi, Sylvia's brother was unaware that Sylvia's CP page was being updated and he himself could not say what the source of the new info was, but I have shared ___'s name with him.

Okay, re Q 1, she says that she thinks the newspaper names may be artifacts from an old MP page she copied over to create SL's page and she removed them.

Regarding Q2, she fwd'd me the email of the person who sent her the engagement announcement and case report, and in the email, this person give the detail about the glasses being found and broken. I sent this followup (names removed):

Really nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member