SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The sisters, who were seen roughly between 158th and 163rd Streets, were seated several feet from the river, which could explain why they were found downriver, Chief Shea said.

The police said the girls’ mother had received a call from the Saudi embassy notifying her that her daughters had requested asylum in the United States. Law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that the request had prompted the Saudi government to order the family to return home.

Saudi Sisters, Seeking Asylum, May Have Committed Suicide, Police Say

866 Second Avenue, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10017
United States

Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in New York, United States

I’m not sure what to think after the murder of jamal.

JMO
Wish we would know more about this witness sighting. Why did it take him so long to come forward and how did he even remember the exact day and exact time.

Wonder if we can tell if the MPH of the water movement would be consistent or not to the time they were found.

If witness says he saw them at 7am and if we know the exact time they were found and where they were found and the MPH of the water current then could that tell us anything about if its even possible that he saw them?

"On October 31st, a witness told police that he saw the sisters at 7 a.m. the morning of the 24th in Riverside Park on Manhattan’s Upper West Side; they were sitting about 30 feet away from each other and praying."

"On Wednesday, October 24, two women were found floating in the Hudson River, near the 68th Street pier in New York City."

What We Know About the Two Sisters Found Dead in the Hudson River
The data shown in the first attachment is for 10/24 and George Washington Bridge.

To view in graph format, please refer to the second attachment.

Source: George Washington Bridge (Hudson River), New York Current Predictions

According to Google Maps, the distance between the point of entry and where the bodies were found is approximately 4.8 mi. (attachment 3).

Perhaps the fact that the the maximum flooding that day was at 9:09 am (current speed: 2.1 knots or 2.4 mph) helped the bodies move faster than otherwise.

B306C14D-1A4B-4798-B8D3-B3A0BEADA44C.jpeg 80A63210-5999-4E46-8611-8387D9F93352.jpeg 2C7FC25B-84AA-4B35-B420-FCE4F3927B70.jpeg

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
Welcome to WS, patteb, and thanks for the heads-up.

I believe it’s OK to post a link to the original (Re)Tweet by @NYPDTips to which the reply was posted since it is a verified public interest (NYPD Crime Stoppers) account.

It’s just like someone posting “There is an interesting comment under a post on (typically a legitimate MSM source, an LE organization, or a “Help Find,” as long as the post comes from the page admin.) FB page, IMO.

I think this is the post you are referring to. If not, my apologies in advance!

Chief Dermot F. Shea on Twitter

<modsnip - discussing comments>

OMG OMG InmyhumbleOpinion YOU ROCK!!!! THANK YOU!!! Ha..Yay!(there is no little super excited face so you get this one!!!:D)

I knew I saw it!!! Thank you! And I knew it was a Full image And I knew it was Before the 30th by some Random Guy on the internet that's was vague about where it came from!! Thank You!!!! Hehehe.
It was the Ms Scarlett in the Library with the Candle stick.. I swear! Haha!!!!

It's sick I have a super great photographic memory w images and color BUT NOT with words!!!! Thank you.. again!

Ok now we have the image BUT we still don't know who the girls in the image are or where it really came from:eek:

And I am actually Amazed that there are actual publications using this image with out a photo credit of the source.. (I don't think they know) ..

This looks like the original selfie as it's in colour. It's from a Spanish article on the story.

View attachment 154235

Hallan muertas a hermanas sauditas en río Hudson de Nueva York
This looks like the original selfie as it's in colour. It's from a Spanish article on the story.

View attachment 154235

You are so funny, madmx!

Back to subject: This may be what you are talking about. I don’t want a time-out or the thread shut down, so I am not going to discuss the actual comment, but I think it’s OK to post the link to the original (Re)Tweet by @NYPDTips, under which the interesting reply was posted. It’s at the very bottom, so you have to scroll al the way down. It’s dated 10/28/18 and by CW:

Chief Dermot F. Shea on Twitter

UNSOLVED - NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Bound with Duct Tape in Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018
Humor is the only thing that gets me by at this point ha! I think I would be crazier!

Realistically would you be able to ID two women covered praying? ok, try this go take a walk before you head to work then quiz yourself can you ID every person you encountered?

The NY Times, in an article posted here already, said that he was a jogger, so probably jogging along.

The alleged motive for the alleged suicide theory is that the girls didn't want to be sent back to SA. The mother claims that she received a phone call from the SA embassy telling them that the family would be sent back because the sisters had applied for asylum.

The SA embassy made a ststement which denied knowing that the girls had applied for asylum, and said that the phone call was made because the mother's visa had expired and they were trying to extend it.

There is no evidence given that the mother contacted the daughters to tell them about returning to SA, so we don't know if the girls even knew anything about going back to SA.

How did the mom know that the sisters had applied for asylum? Did a mutual friend betray this confidence? Did the sisters perhaps pay the application fee using their credit card? Did the girls tell their mother, even though they were trying to stay away from home?

Why would the mother lie about the SA phone call?

The suicide theory has so many gaps that it's like a "pick the next line" story.

I keep thinking that if I committed suicide with my sister, I would make a statement somewhere, somehow, to publicize why I did it. I would leave a clue somewhere.
Maybe they did leave a clue. LE calls the deaths suicides, and they are not obligated to share any clues or notes with the public about suicides. imo.

jmo

Are there no school yearbooks with the girls' photos? I lean toward disbelieving the funeral photo is of the burial of these girls. Why would the news not have reported the bodies released? Something is being covered up here.
I am feeling the same

There is no way the girls in the selfie picture are the same people as the passport picture. Which one is supposed to even be which? Both girls in the selfie picture have a more narrow nose than the passport girls.
While I am already on record as saying I don’t think the images look the same, I wonder if they had plastic surgery since being in the states? I know from an Iranian friend that it’s a very common thing in Iran. My friend’s mom is always suggesting she have her nose done when they visit. (Yes, Iran is an entirely different country, I know, but still the Middle East. )

View attachment 154235

The colors in that photo look artificial, either someone colorized the black and white image, or they washed out the colors from the original image (assuming that was in color).
I keep thinking that if I committed suicide with my sister, I would make a statement somewhere, somehow, to publicize why I did it. I would leave a clue somewhere.
The police in their conference said something to the effect that the girls were heard saying 'they would rather die than go back'. We don't know anything about the source of that, was it told to relatives? How did they know they were supposed to go back if they didn't have contact with their family? And apparently the mother only was notified around the time the bodies were discovered, if that story is even true. So much false contradictory information is being spread, even the drawings/photos of the girls are inconsistent.

Agreed. The "selfie" duo looks nothing like the ID photos released, which look nothing like the forensic drawings. I was rather shocked that the forensic drawings were so dissimilar to the ID photos, because the forensic drawings presumably were produced from looking at the actual bodies, before they were identified-- and we are told that authorities believe the bodies were not in the water long/ not decomposed, or with facial deformities/ injuries.

It's like they are 3 different sets of girls.

Just another part of why this story as reported by many sources just isn't consistent enough across all the reports in the U.S. and the mideast to be entirely plausible.

The funeral, for example, appears to be too "high profile" for 2 young women who died under suspicious circumstance in the U.S. (after leaving home, reporting domestic abuse, staying in a shelter for 8 months, and potentially filing for asylum.)

Certainly I could see a proper burial happening, but under these egregious circumstances, I'd really expect that the funeral would have been humble, quiet/ private, and definitely not showcased in the media. Particularly if it is thought that they may have committed a double suicide, "because" they voiced that they did not want to return to KSA.

I could even understand that the family may not have wanted any media reports or publicity as they claimed the bodies of the sisters, and arranged for them to be flown to KSA.

That they appear to have been buried in Madinah, at the second holiest mosque cemetery, in a rather high profile / ostentacious ceremony, is a continuing question. It just doesn't fit the circumstances, IMO.

Or maybe it was orchestrated/ planned precisely that way to present dignified "closure", and quell scrutiny and further inquiry. I don't think we will ever know the answer to that.

The whole thing is just too odd for me to accept superficially, or at face value. It doesn't fit with what I've experienced about the culture, the country, and the citizens. Too many questions.....that will never be answered.

That's what I've been saying all along as well, we have three very different images of what are supposed to be the same women. If I had seen the passport photos and didn't know they were saudi, I would have said they looked more persian or pakistani. The women in the sketches look very different, just look at their lips, completely different. I imagine the sketch artist would have adjusted the drawing to account for any bloating. But I recall someone mentioning in one of the news stories that they thought the women were 'unconscious' as opposed to 'dead'.
I don't know if that article about the funeral was real. It could have been for someone else. Why wouldn't the parents be involved in their burial? Why not just bury them in their home town of Jeddah?
I really hope the police will release the full autopsy report, including time of death. I don't believe they died the same day they were found.

JMO
My biggest issue with this case is the duct tape. I just cannot fathom someone who is suicidal to use that and bind the ankles too.

I struggle to think someone would even do that to themselves and especially around the ankles.

Rope or something seems a more logical choice and only around upper body if someone wanted to do a suicide pact. I just cannot see people using duct tape at all and especially around the ankles.

I know we hear of bizarre cases but that is too much for me to believe they committed suicide.

It reminds me of the case of the alleged hanging of the babysitter woman where the boy died in a fall and she was found hanging from an upper balcony of some sort. Much speculation about her alleged suicide because she was found bound too. Cant remember what was used to bind her.

Mansion Hanging Victim Painted Note on Door
Duct taping the feet and not the hands as well, was strange. Looking at the radaronline photo of the DB, it looks like the duct tape around the waist was fairly tight, but it also looked like it was fastened as a knot on the back of one of the women. Her feet have duct tape wrapped around both feet individually, and they're apart, but I'm guessing they were cut apart by the police? They also separated the bodies to remove them, and turned one over onto her stomach, the one in the photo. I wish I could find images of them when they were still together, but those haven't popped up yet.

Wish we would know more about this witness sighting. Why did it take him so long to come forward and how did he even remember the exact day and exact time.

Maybe he only came forward when he saw the passport photos in either an article or on TV.

He may not have remembered the exact day but did remember seeing the two girls praying and the media reported that they had not been in the water for very long. It could just have been a guesstimate.

As for the time, if runs every day before heading off to work, he may well know what time he reaches that area from home.

Realistically would you be able to ID two women covered praying? ok, try this go take a walk before you head to work then quiz yourself can you ID every person you encountered?

I didn't give my opinion, I quoted from the article.

The colors in that photo look artificial, either someone colorized the black and white image, or they washed out the colors from the original image (assuming that was in color).

They don't look artificial to me. Note the differences in the skin tone of each girl's face. The girl on the right as you look at the pic is obviously closer to the light source and her hand is lighter than her face. And then there are the little
"fluffy" bits on the edge of the jumper, or whatever it is, near the girl's face on the left. Why would someone go to all that trouble with a selfie?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

They don't look artificial to me. Note the differences in the skin tone of each girl's face. The girl on the right as you look at the pic is obviously closer to the light source and her hand is lighter than her face. And then there are the little
"fluffy" bits on the edge of the jumper, or whatever it is, near the girl's face on the left. Why would someone go to all that trouble with a selfie?

The main reason I've been questioning the photos is that the basic facial features (nose in particular) and shape seem so different when comparing the various pictures and sketches we have seen. I'm not sure what to make of the police sketch as it was presumably made after viewing the bodies but could it have been done based on the eyewitness at the park that saw them allegedly praying and from a distance and that is why the sketch seems different? Does anyone understand the timing of the NYPD release of the sketches?

Going back to the description of the girls 'cross formation', this was an article that mentions it. It specifically states their arms were outstretched. I couldn't find any information online about how that happens in the case of drowning victims. I have read that when someone drowns, their arms and legs are hanging down. Or perhaps the description was of the bodies after the tide had left them on the rocks?
Saudi sisters found duct taped together were alive when they entered the water | Daily Mail Online
"They had been taped together face to face, with their arms outstretched so that together the bodies made the shape of a cross."

Here's a larger version of the photo. It's clear that whoever colorized the image accidentally colorized the girl on the left skin as purple. In the original black and white, it's apparent that it's skin, not a jacket as she's wearing a tank top. I'm not sure what the furry part is, perhaps its the strap of a handbag? Or just an artifact in the photo.
https://vid.alarabiya.net/images/20...-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_788x442.jpg
d2df9145-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_788x442.jpg

selfie-jpg.154235

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141