GUILTY NY - Thomas Valva, 8, autistic, killed, NYPD father & fiancee arrested, Suffolk Co, 17 Jan 2020 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is this the first time CPS involvement was reported in the media? Including if so:

Mother of slain 8-year-old says father was abusive for years

Suffolk police said they are in contact with the Department of Social Services.

“We are going to look at every interaction this child had with the system and investigate every avenue,” said Commissioner Hart.

The Suffolk County Department of Social Services told News 12 that it was involved with the Valva and Pollina family. It says petitions for child neglect were filed in Suffolk County Family Court in 2018.

There was court-ordered home supervision for a period of one year. Orders of protection were issued for the parents to refrain from harmful behaviors toward the children.

It also says CPS investigated additional complaints relating to the family. DSS says it is now reviewing the management of the case to ensure that all protocols were followed.

A Suffolk County family court judge decided Monday to allow Zubko-Valva to continue to have temporary custody of her sons, who are 10 and 6 years old.

The fathers of Pollina's daughters were also in court Monday trying to get custody of their children.

"I knew this would happen. I've been trying to tell people for a long time," said Gino Cali.

Cali said he hasn't seen his daughter in three years because Pollina prevented him from seeing her.

"I've always wanted to be in my daughter's life. There's not been one day I didn't want to be in my daughter's life," he said.

Michael Ichkhan, the father of Pollina's twin daughters, declined to speak with reporters, but told the judge that he hasn't seen his twin daughters also in three years because Pollina, "held them away from me."

The three girls are currently residing with Pollina's mother.
Parents fight for custody of other kids after Long Island couple allegedly lets son freeze to death

County panel to probe death of boy, 8, from alleged abuse

Suffolk County is launching a “top-to-bottom” internal probe of how the county’s Department of Social Services handled the case of an 8-year-old Center Moriches boy who died while in his father’s custody after allegedly being forced to sleep in an unheated garage.

Snip

The committee doing the internal probe of DSS will also work with the New York State Office of Children and Family Services as it conducts an independent review of the case, along with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, which is handling the ongoing criminal prosecution, the release said.

Bellone also said a separate task force, co-chaired by Deputy Presiding Officer Kara Hahn and Deputy County Executive Jon Kaiman, will look at how CPS handles cases of children with autism and developmental disabilities.

County panel to probe death of boy, 8, from alleged abuse

Suffolk County is launching a “top-to-bottom” internal probe of how the county’s Department of Social Services handled the case of an 8-year-old Center Moriches boy who died while in his father’s custody after allegedly being forced to sleep in an unheated garage.

Snip

The committee doing the internal probe of DSS will also work with the New York State Office of Children and Family Services as it conducts an independent review of the case, along with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, which is handling the ongoing criminal prosecution, the release said.

Bellone also said a separate task force, co-chaired by Deputy Presiding Officer Kara Hahn and Deputy County Executive Jon Kaiman, will look at how CPS handles cases of children with autism and developmental disabilities.
Yes! Sorrowfully, Too little Too late for little Thomas. CPS must always have oversight and audits to ensure compliance with objectives and requirements.

eta: Government agencies are a public service paid for by taxpayers. We own the the rights and responsibilities as such to insist regulatory mandates are met in accordance with administrative code and laws. imo

Last edited:
maybe, but her kids were not autistic. I think thats why his kids were targeted because they needed extra care from a parent and this Waste of Space couldnt even give that.

I think there were many reasons. I agree with @squareandrabbet ’s interpretation. Also, we don’t know how many rooms there were in the house. Two adults and six kids, probably needed space. I would not put it past him to move two autistic kids into the garage so that his other son and tween girls could have better, or separate, rooms.

I am not surprised that scared, abused, beaten up kids were bedwetters. But for him, the smell was probably constantly reminding of the fact that kids were autistic. I think he was ashamed of them, and maybe, secretly hoped something would happen to them. But MOO.

And that woman, Pollina. “Because he is hypothermic”. Cruella de Vil.

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone announced that members of the Internal Review Committee are performing a top-to-bottom review of the Valva case in the Department of Social Services.

Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart said, “I can tell you that we are going to look at every interaction this child had with the system and investigate every avenue."
A funeral mass will be held Thursday morning at 9:30 p.m. at Saint Elizabeth Church in Melville.

Thomas will then be laid to rest at Saint Charles Cemetery in East Farmingdale.
Suffolk County launches internal probe into Thomas Valva’s death

Title Six of Article Six of the Social Services Law, specifically Sections 411-428, define child abuse and maltreatment. The law also outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) and Local Departments of Social Services (LDSS) regarding investigations, outcomes and records related to such.

Article 10 of the Family Court Act, specifically section 1012 of the FCA, further defines child abuse, maltreatment and other key terms commonly used in investigations and reports.

Both these sections of law can be found at the New York State Legislature website. Choose the link "Laws of New York," and scroll down to the "S" section for Social Services Law. Then look for Title Six of Article Six.

A similar process will allow you to find the relevant sections of the Family Court Act.
New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)

...reports from an emergency medical technician who responded to the Center Moriches home said the child’s face had tell-tale injuries of abuse.

“Thomas Valva was observed with visible abrasion to his face, like ‘road rash,’” EMT Erin Lambert told Suffolk County caseworkers, “which could have resulted by being dragged across pavement.”

snip

Documents indicate Valva and his fiancée had a long history with Child Protective Services in Suffolk County and also reveal Michael Valva changed his story about the night of Jan. 16 into the early hours of Jan. 17.

EMT Lambert described the child’s condition and her interactions with Michael Valva, when 911 was called at 9:41 am on Jan. 17.

“The child was ice cold to the touch,” Lambert said. “Thomas wasn’t wearing underwear, or a shirt, and his sweat pants were pulled down to his knees.”

LI boy who froze to death had ‘road rash’ on face, like he was dragged: court docs

Some more info at link

...reports from an emergency medical technician who responded to the Center Moriches home said the child’s face had tell-tale injuries of abuse.

“Thomas Valva was observed with visible abrasion to his face, like ‘road rash,’” EMT Erin Lambert told Suffolk County caseworkers, “which could have resulted by being dragged across pavement.”

snip

Documents indicate Valva and his fiancée had a long history with Child Protective Services in Suffolk County and also reveal Michael Valva changed his story about the night of Jan. 16 into the early hours of Jan. 17.

EMT Lambert described the child’s condition and her interactions with Michael Valva, when 911 was called at 9:41 am on Jan. 17.

“The child was ice cold to the touch,” Lambert said. “Thomas wasn’t wearing underwear, or a shirt, and his sweat pants were pulled down to his knees.”

LI boy who froze to death had ‘road rash’ on face, like he was dragged: court docs

Some more info at link
Omg, I cant. I just can’t. How much crueler can this monster father be? I’m afraid to see more at link. Of course I will. It’s gonna be tough though. My SIL is a Lt. paramedic with the Fire Department so he’s the first one in. I’ve heard my daughter tell me how he breaks down when he comes home afterwards. It’s beyond heartbreaking what our first responders have to always live with. The images remain forever.

Some more info at link

I just don't understand how, if he had a "long history with CPS" he could be awarded full custody and the boys mother not be allowed to see her kids at all. Further, how did Pollina get full custody of her girls and prevent the fathers from being in their lives?????

I have a friend whose ex-husband beat her severely multiple times, requiring hospitalization, and he was convicted of domestic abuse/assault both times, and he was still granted 50/50 joint custody (despite my friend seeking full custody due to her being afraid he would harm the kids) because the judge said abuse of their mother didn't affect his right to his children.

I just don't understand how, if he had a "long history with CPS" he could be awarded full custody and the boys mother not be allowed to see her kids at all. Further, how did Pollina get full custody of her girls and prevent the fathers from being in their lives?????

I have a friend whose ex-husband beat her severely multiple times, requiring hospitalization, and he was convicted of domestic abuse/assault both times, and he was still granted 50/50 joint custody (despite my friend seeking full custody due to her being afraid he would harm the kids) because the judge said abuse of their mother didn't affect his right to his children.

Sorry about your friend. :mad::( . It seems like, from the above link, that these were "he said/she said", backed up by a similarly incredibly stupid judge:

Gino Cali, the biological father of Angela Pollina’s youngest daughter, appeared at Family Court Monday and told reporters he knew something bad was going to happen a long time ago.

“I would watch Angela abuse the twin girls, before the boys were involved, before my daughter was even born. She would beat one of the girls, I would break it up, and then she’d threaten she was going to call the police on me,” Cali said, his voice choked with emotion.

Pollina’s lawyer told reporters the day of her murder arrest that she “loved” Thomas.

May God save any of us from being "loved" the way this woman "loves" children!!! :mad::mad:

snip

Some more info at link
I hadn't cried until now. This poor little boy.

His "father" needs to suffer greatly. This would be justice.

On January 13, 2018, respondent became enraged with Thomas Valva and made the, then, 6-year-old child lean over a table with his hands stretched out and respondent repeatedly hit Thomas on the buttocks. This caused the child significant pain and numerous bruises,” with the report adding the boy had injury to his lower back “and was still in pain three days later.”

Thomas will be buried at eight years old, with a wake planned for Wednesday, Jan. 29, at Mangano Funeral Home in Deer Park, starting at 2 p.m.

A funeral Mass is planned for Thursday morning at St. Elizabeth Roman Catholic Church in Huntington Station with burial at St. Charles Cemetery.

upload_2020-1-28_10-4-31.jpeg
Valva, who was handcuffed behind his back and surrounded by four court officers, also pleaded not guilty through his lawyer to six family court petitions that accuse him of abusing his three sons and the three daughters of his fiancee, Angela Pollina.

On Monday, she showed The Post an order of protection issued against her on Sept. 6, 2017, by Nassau County Judge Hope Schwartz Zimmerman, who barred her from any contact with her kids.

Two weeks later, Zimmerman eased the restrictions so Zubko-Valva, 36, could visit with Thomas and his older brother, but only pursuant to a court order, according to another document the mom showed The Post.
A spokesman for the state court system, Lucian Chalfen, called Thomas’ slaying “an unimaginable tragedy.”

The individuals who were directly involved in the death have been arrested and will face accountability,” he said.

“However, other than the parties directly involved in both the matrimonial and custody cases, no one has any knowledge of the facts and circumstances, along with the emotional issues and inevitable complexities, that led to the decisions made by three separate judges, in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties, during the numerous court appearances.”
https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/estra...-of-killer-cop-michael-valvas-surviving-sons/

Divorce and custody cases are expensive. Sometimes when one party has significantly more money than the other, they will drag out the court case, causing the party with less money to feel forced to settle for less than they want/deserve. Not saying that's what happened here, but it does happen. IMO I suspect both MV and AP are guilty of custodial interference, which is why the other bio parents haven't seen their respective kids in years.

The probe, which will be overseen by DSS Commissioner Frances Pierre, will look into “departmental procedures and actions in this specific case,” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone announced Monday night.

As a parent, I am horrified by what happened to this beautiful boy,” Bellone said. “As county executive, I want to know if there’s anything else that could have been done under existing law to prevent this from happening.

“Beyond that, I want to know if anything in this case suggests that changes should be made to existing policy or law.”

“The task force will be charged with reviewing procedures for how services are provided to children with autism or other developmental challenges under current law, determine if the current system leaves children with disabilities more vulnerable, and whether additional safeguards need to be enacted,” Bellone said.

Suffolk County will work with the state Office of Children and Family Services and the Suffolk County DA’s Office as it conducts an independent review of the case, Bellone said.
https://nypost.com/2020/01/28/officials-investigating-how-social-services-handled-thomas-valva-case/

“And you know, I think this is someone — when all the facts are proven — this is someone who should burn in hell, from my point of view,” the mayor said.
https://nypost.com/2020/01/28/de-blasio-says-cop-accused-of-murdering-son-should-burn-in-hell/

eta:
Zenkus said he personally trained over a 1,000 family and criminal court judges in New York state in 2018, but added that that session lasted just one hour.

When asked about staffing and the case load faced by each CPS field worker, a Bellone spokesman says Suffolk County has 13 more caseworkers on the job now as compared to 2015, and that each caseworker has an average of 12 cases at the end of each month.
Suffolk County launches internal probes into Thomas Valva’s death

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee