GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly this thought struck me: was it FAKED DEATH ???

What if Vincent had put himself in some really bad situation, like owe the VERY wrong people lots of money or something to that effect, and so he and Angelika put together a plan that Vincent should "accidentally/drown/disappear" never to be found but eventually be declared dead.
Angelika should soon go back to Latvia in Europe bc the love of her life had died, and back there in Latvia is Vincent waiting for her with all the great money, which is worth a LOT more in an eastern European country like Latvia.

They had, after all, already planed to marry at the Latvia seashore right?
And a scenario like this would answer several mysterious questions in this case:

1.What motive would Angelika have to murder Vincent?
answer: she didn't have a motive, bc she didn't kill him and he did not drown/die.

2.How come she seem to not grief at all? in the contrary she seem happy go lucky in many of the photos in her Facebook taken and posted AFTER Vincent's accident?
answer:she never killed him it was all a sneaky plan to make him look dead + some common financial gain, and she was now just longing and looking forward to meet him back in her home country, and there living together happily ever after.

3.Angelika's serious inconsistencies when explaining what and how the accident happened?
answer: Those inconsistencies occurred simply bc the accident/murder never happened, and it is extremely difficult to "remember" a course of events that never happened, especially the details.

I know it is a long shot, but then again... maybe not :thinking:

Normally I would think an idea like this is wackadoodle, but I think it's worth considering in this case.

Even if it's not true, I think a defense attorney could make a case for doubt. Could a jury convict of murder with the possibility he faked his death? I don't think so.

I would think the defense would press for a quick trial. If she's found not-guilty but the body shows up later, she can't be tried for murder again.

LE should be seriously looking for that body (and I'm sure they are).

JMO.

even though there are railroad tracks on both sides of the river, from google maps it looks like the only ones you can cross to have river access near the island are on west side.

i don't find it too suspicious that the couple wanted to get out there at that time of the year. its been a long winter and i would bet they were happy to get out, even in less than ideal conditions, especially if they are experienced kayakers. at that time of year though, 730pm is probably a lot later than you would want to be on the water getting ready to head home.

i am thinking the timeline graswald has presented to police is not matching up with the telescope witness accounts, along with some other inconsistencies, especially if she got indicted. if she was rescued near the yacht club, she could have waited for a boat to approach and then pretended to be in distress. depending on how cold the water was, it would have been very risky for her to enter the water at all and she would have had only a small window before her body would have succumbed to hypothermia. if you know the water temp, you can probably do a reasonable calculation on just how much time you have.

it was also clear from one of the search messages/bulletins that they really want to see his body, if and when it is found, without anyone disturbing the scene. it sounds like they are looking for or thinking of something very specific.

BBM

"No court appearance for Graswald; case awaits grand jury action
May 05, 2015 - 11:46 AM
NEW WINDSOR – The case of Angelika Graswald, who is accused of murdering her fiancé during a kayaking trip on the Hudson River, will await grand jury action.
A preliminary hearing scheduled in New Windsor Town Court on Tuesday was cancelled.
Suspects charged in felony cases cannot be held more than five days unless either a preliminary hearing is held or the case is presented to a grand jury.
Orange County Chief Assistant District Attorney Christopher Borek said a grand jury is still working on the case and he could not disclose anything about the proceedings.

Graswald, 35, of Poughkeepsie, has been held without bail in Orange County Jail since her arrest last Wednesday. She is accused of murdering Vincent Viafore, 46, also of Poughkeepsie, during an April 19 kayak trip between Plum Point in New Windsor and Bannerman’s Island.
She claimed Viafore’s kayak was overturned in choppy waters and she was unable to rescue him. State police said they arrested her because of inconsistencies in her account of what happened."

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150505/NEWS/150509691/-1/wap?template=wapart

A question for the kayak pros...is it the norm to go kayaking at dusk? At the end of a harsh winter? At this location? Without a life vest? TIA

This is a popular kayaking area. I've seen kayakers returning around this time as you don't want to get stuck on the river in the dark (even with a light. IMO). NY State law says life vests must be worn on any boat or personal watercraft under 21ft from Nov. 1 until May 1. Our water temp is about 50 right now so I believe hypothermia sets in within 30 mins based on what I've read.

Definitely something off with this story which is why I am following it. Not to mention I live a few minutes away.

my take is she thinks she is someone to be feared------and in this instance there is no body, so therefore no crime has been committed to her view.........

I think I asked this----was she wearing a wetsuit or something high visibility and warm???? And which car or truck was taken to the Yacht Club? We all know how I love cars...lol....seat and mirror positions, were there two sets of oars.....

This is a popular kayaking area. I've seen kayakers returning around this time as you don't want to get stuck on the river in the dark (even with a light. IMO). NY State law says life vests must be worn on any boat or personal watercraft under 21ft from Nov. 1 until May 1. Our water temp is about 50 right now so I believe hypothermia sets in within 30 mins based on what I've read.

Definitely something off with this story which is why I am following it. Not to mention I live a few minutes away.

Welcome to WS. It's always helpful to have a local on the threads. Thanks for joining in.

Have we hard anything from Vincent's family, co-workers, friends--his friends not their couple-friends

"Also I wonder, if she planned all that, she was putting herself at risk, she could've died of hypothermia in the water, how did she knew she'd be saved on time? Just thinking out loud. "

I'm wondering about the rescue boat that "happened" upon her at an opportune time. From what I heard, this was NOT a boat responding to SOS, they just came upon her. Then she called 911.

@Mom, yes, very unusual to be out at that time especially in cold weather.
Cover of darkness comes to my mind.

The Official website of the Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc., can be found at www.bannermancastle.org. Bannerman Castle and Pollepel Island are closed to the public and accessible only through tours arranged by the Bannerman Castle Trust. Do not attempt to land on the island or enter the harbor surrounding the Island.

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/bannerman/bannerman.html

Hi Bunny! Here we are...another wacky story told by a significant other...go figure!
Hopefully this one will be solved before Father's Day. Wink wink.

Thanks for the info. None of this makes sense.

Thank you, Silly1. That's what I thought. Just does not add up.

Sorry- just a little confused. Where was their car found? They entered the river closer to the island (west side?), but were near Cornwall and home when the kayaks flipped? Can anyone straighten this out for me?

On one of the local links, it says water temp was 46.

What are your thoughts about what happened?

Sorry- just a little confused. Where was their car found? They entered the river closer to the island (west side?), but were near Cornwall and home when the kayaks flipped? Can anyone straighten this out for me?

There has been nothing said about the car(s) yet.
They launched from Cornwall Yacht Club on the west side of the river.

Any idea what her motive is - insurance? fear that he'd harm her if she left him? - don't get it... strange case..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerinska