Not open for further replies.
FYI...

April 19, 2015 lighting, air & water temperature and wind in Poughkeepsie:

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york?month=4&year=2015

Sunset: 19.39

Civil twilight:

start: 05.43
end:20.08

http://www.wunderground.com/history...reqdb.zip=12601&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Temperature in Poughkeepsie: at 7PM= 13C (55.4F)

Temperature in Poughkeepsie: at 9PM= 10C (50.0F)

Windspeed in Poughkeepsie: at 7PM= 10 mph

Windspeed in Poughkeepsie: at 9PM= 10 mph

http://philipstown.info/2015/04/24/kayaker-missing-after-capsizing/

Water temperature April 19 in Poughkeepsie: aprox. 8.33C (47F)

What are your thoughts about what happened?

Based on the charges filed and what police have indicated, I think she killed him for reasons only known to her right now. The police indicated that they were kayaking in close proximity to each other and that she tampered with his kayak so there must be forensic evidence indicating that.

My best guess is that a handgun is involved, something small enough that she could conceal. If in fact he wasn't wearing a life vest, then she could have simply overturned the kayak and let him go under the water. This could explain the tampering with the kayak and the reason that the cops want to see the body.

Based on her size, I don't think she would have been able to use any other weapon without him fighting back and overpowering her. I also don't think that this is staged. Perhaps, he was killed elsewhere and she staged it by towing his kayak out. I do believe she waited before putting herself in the water when she saw boaters approaching and knew she would get rescued.

In my opinion, this is a bizarre case. No outwardly signs of trouble in their relationship as reported, no one except one local radio personality saying anything negative as reported, a story that indicates an experienced kayaker was engaging in risky behavior and breaking boating laws, and a woman that appeared to be grieving in a way that would be considered atypical by most. At this point, any theory is as good as the next.

Guessing that the older couple across from Bannerman's with the telescope had an interesting grand jury tale to tell.

Saw the Hudson awhile ago and made a wish it would give up its dead.

Fast couple of questions------what and when (and hell, where) was Vincents last financial transaction-----where is his wallet, watch any jewelry he usually wore----and gotta talk about his car-----car keys specifically
What is the state of his home? Groceries, laundry , mail, regular clothing.......

here are some more witness accounts (after searching, Gottlock is the telescopic neighbor):

Viafore's friend W.G. said he saw them out on the water, but did not discover there was a search underway until later on that evening. He added that the couple had been together for a long time and have a 'wonderful relationship'. He said the water at this time of the year is 'precarious' as the water is still cold.

W. G., a tour guide for Bannerman Island, did not know Viafore. But, he said, Graswald was “bubbly” and “energetic” and seemingly had a good relationship with Viafore. At some point, she told him she was studying for a real-estate broker’s license.
“I know the rest of the group’s very much concerned and shocked by the revelation,” he said. “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Vincent.”

P.B., who has lived by the water for 40 years, asked if they were 'accomplished kayakers' because the water was very rough.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150501/NEWS/150509901/-1/TABLET110&template=tabletart
http://www.bostonnewstime.com/regio...-into-rough-waters-without-a-life-jacket.html

Have we hard anything from Vincent's family, co-workers, friends--his friends not their couple-friends

This isn't much, but it looks like he was active on his high school alumni page in 2008. There is a link to his myspace page, but I just get the main pages to myspace when I click on it. On his personal page on the high school site, there is a photo of him with his ex-wife that looks a lot like the photos he has with Graswald. He seems like a physically affectionate man to the women in his life.

FWIW: http://classreport.org/usa/ny/wappingers_falls/rckhs/1986/

Have search dogs or cadaver dogs been brought in to this case yet????

Any idea what her motive is - insurance? fear that he'd harm her if she left him? - don't get it... strange case..

Maybe he wanted out. Things are not always as they seem.
He was her meal ticket, took her traveling etc.

I wonder if she had an accomplice.

Maybe he wanted out. Things are not always as they seem.
He was her meal ticket, took her traveling etc.

I wonder if she had an accomplice.

Usually it's the guy who won't let go of a gal...

Mike Colvin dated Graswald for over a year. He says it was a really bad breakup, they even fought over custody of their cat. He added, "She gets down on the ground after I started the car and lays down and says, and is like, 'Give me that cat!' and I was like, 'You got to be kidding me!' I had no choice but to give her the cat and then I got an alarm the next day."

Colvin told INSIDE EDITION, "If your fiancé passes or goes missing in a tragic accident this seems like a very unorthodox way to display your feelings in a public setting." (referring to her Facebook postings, etc. since his death).

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...n-diary-he-wanted-rough-sex-prosecutors-claim

Graswald agreed to talk to INSIDE EDITION in the jail where she is being held, but backed out at the last moment and said she didn't want to be interviewed. She told INSIDE EDITION, "My lawyers told me to change my mind. So, I'm changing my mind."

I mean people have faked their deaths before. It seems highly unlikely that this experienced water loving big guy just dies a sudden death at the hands of his much smaller and most likely (not a fact) inexperienced kayaker lover. JMO.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faked_death Seems drowning is the most common cause of fake death. IMO

How many of those cases involved an accomplice who was arrested and charged with murder for the faker's death?

MOO, but I think she killed him somewhere on the island and he is buried/hidden somewhere, I don't think he's in the water - unless he's in there with a bunch of rocks on his person - even though LE did say that they both were in the water and she tampered with his kayak. The police version just doesn't add up.

How do we know what the police version is? They aren't talking.

Normally I would think an idea like this is wackadoodle, but I think it's worth considering in this case.

Even if it's not true, I think a defense attorney could make a case for doubt. Could a jury convict of murder with the possibility he faked his death? I don't think so.

I would think the defense would press for a quick trial. If she's found not-guilty but the body shows up later, she can't be tried for murder again.

LE should be seriously looking for that body (and I'm sure they are).

JMO.

But there has to be support for a theory. How is there a possibility he faked his death? What facts support such a possibility? Just saying there is one doesn't make it a logical or legitimate possibility that a jury can or would consider.

What does the change in venue signify, if anything? New Windsor is a town in Orange County.

Change of venue means changing the location of the proceedings from one town or county to another. It usually is done for the ease of the case - more witnesses and parties are located in another venue - or more infrequently, to avoid prejudice in high profile cases.

more ...

According to interviews and public records, Graswald has lived at various residences in Connecticut and Dutchess County, often staying with lovers or friends. She is a native of Latvia, a Baltic state in northern Europe bordered by Russia, Estonia, Lithuania and Belarus.

She has been married twice. Her maiden and married names account for the aliases provided by police.

She met her first husband in Connecticut when both were in their early 20's. He repaired air conditioning and heating systems. She was a nanny. They met, he said, on one of his jobs. "She was honest. She was a sweetheart. She was fun to be around," said Shawn Maloney, 36, who now lives in Grand Junction, Colorado, and has since remarried. Maloney said the two were married for barely a year. Court records show the marriage was dissolved in 2003. It was the last time they ever spoke, he said. "We were two young people who jumped in a little too quickly," he said. Graswald never exhibited any behavior that would indicate she was capable of killing anyone, Maloney said. "She sounds like a completely different person than the person that I knew," he said.

Graswald married once again in Connecticut, to a man whose surname she kept after they divorced and the name authorities have used to identify her. That marriage ended shortly after Graswald moved to Dutchess County in 2009.

Elizabeth Mele, a 45-year-old former Poughkeepsie resident who now lives in Bayonne, New Jersey, met Graswald shortly after she came to the area. "I used to call her 'Angel,'" Mele said. "She was a sweetheart. She is a sweetheart. That is the person I know. I don't know this other person."

Neil Caplan, executive director of the nonprofit Bannerman Castle Trust, said Graswald did gardening work on the island. "She was a wonderful worker and very pleasant person," he said. "Very reliable."

However, Graswald had a side that could be less-than-angelic, according to Mike Colvin, the former on-air personality at WPDH (101.5 FM) and a longtime DJ at Mahoney's Irish Pub in Poughkeepsie. Colvin and Graswald started dating while she was still with her second husband, he said. She had come to Hyde Park on a photography assignment for a Connecticut-based company, he said. They met at Mahoney's. Graswald is not a U.S. citizen, he said, but has a green card valid until 2018. After they started dating, she left her second husband, Colvin said. During the separation process, Graswald, in a fit of anger, took a car and emptied her husband's home not only of her belongings, but also many of his, Colvin said. "She has this angry side of her personality," Colvin said. "That is when I would say her 'Russian was coming out.'" Colvin said he got a first-hand look at that when, after about a year and a half, their relationship soured. Graswald, he said, wanted to keep a cat the couple had adopted. "I said, 'You can't have the cat,'" Colvin said. "And she said, 'Then I will break into your house and take her.'" She made her point, Colvin said, by laying down prone in his driveway behind his vehicle as he was getting ready to leave for a work assignment. He gave her the cat, he said. The next day, he called to have an alarm system installed at his home.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...elika-graswald-poughkeepsie-profile/26742931/

The woman accused of murdering her fiance while kayaking on the Hudson River continued her media blitz on Tuesday, but while on camera suddenly had second thoughts.

Inside Edition did a segment on the case surrounding the death of Vincent Viafore. The feature included a planned interview with Viafore’s fiancee, and murder suspect, Angelika Graswald. However, when the cameras started to roll, Graswald had a change of heart.

Graswald has been on a whirlwind media blitz, granting interviews to local media as well as NBC and People Magazine. Graswold told People that she is aware that she “talks too much” and believes that is the reason she is in jail right now.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-06-at-5.05.34-AM-630x421.png

http://wpdh.com/angelika-graswald-makes-bizarre-inside-edition-appearance/

You're only afraid to talk too much when you have something to hide, JMHO

Wonder what the cause of her prior breakup was with the DJ? I think we can surmise that the poor cat was only a pawn---she didnt reeeaaalllllyyyyyy want the cat only wanted the ex to not have the cat.

I'm with the kooks. Check the island. She is familiar with it. Just sayin'.

I'm still confused as to when she actually made the 911 call. Was she in the water, on the kayak, or on the rescue boat at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bands0408