OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering, with all the reasons being thrown about for why something like this could happen, do other countries have these same problems? Do kids in other countries play video games? Do they use the internet a lot, go on social media many times a day, and lead a less in-person socialized life than previous generations?

Is there a lack of mental illness in civilized, Democratic countries outside of the United States? Is it ONLY American White Males in the 20-25 age group that have issues which cause a pair of them to kill 31 humans?

I'm curious, because according to some, those are clearly the underlying causes of these massacres, and so they must be Unique to the U.S. In that case, I agree, and we really need to emulate the countries where this type of violence Rarely occurs, and certainly at a significantly lower rate than here. Video games must be eliminated, and the use of Internet by those under the age of 30, needs to be severely curtailed. If younger people are not texting outside the U.S., and are interacting on a more regular basis than they are here, we definitely must work on that. And of course we must put an emphasis on having every single person undergo constant mental examinations, to make sure we can locate and isolate someone who may have murderous thoughts in the backs of their minds.

I am sure if we focus on fixing those problems exclusive to the U.S., we'll be much safer, like other countries, since I can't think of any other reason why these mass murders are happening at the rate of over 1 per day in the U.S.

I was just wondering. The UK has a problem with knife crime. It is harder to buy guns here. It is possible to kill more people with a gun than a knife. It may be we do have similar problems but the choice of weapon limits the number of fatalities. My guess is if US gun laws changed you would get a rise in knife crime. By and large they are all watching and playing the same stuff all over. Remembering how the UK would be a bit of most American states I am not sure ours is not a similar or worse problem. It is the scale that makes the US shocking. To a degree guns are also more effective killers.

I was watching Dr Phil the other day and he pointed out drug use at a young age alters the brain structure. This might also play a part as might the confusion of available belief systems. There s no single cohesive path of moral behaviour in either the US or UK any more and our youth are dealing with a world many of us find it hard to comprehend as we grew up with the idea of a single morality and it was easier to see right from wrong.

Most kids had parents who stayed together.

There was only two accepted genders.

You were the country's main religion or paid lip service to it.

You could expect a job for a working life

You behaved like others generally.

Human life was valued because it was also harder to save. People died of stuff doctors can now mend. (I am not decrying medical progress, just trying to say the effects of death and grief we're more about natural cause. Or from two world wars. Life was precious.

We had no social media. ...

And so on.

It was less confusing and also less labelled.

It was not everyone was part of 2.4 families with a mum and dad living in cosy suburbia. Bad stuff always happened but there was a kind of reference point.

I also think there us a tendency to try to ignore mental health issues in kids till too late in the day. Anyone trying to get help for a child or adult who is breaking down whether they will cooperate with the idea of help or not will know how hard that is.

OK, perhaps a better question then is, what are the reasons, that make the scope of this problem in the U.S. so big? It is a sizable difference from other countries, so what makes the U.S. unique?

This technique is both transparent, and annoying (leading questions).

It’s also disingenuous.

It’s late, but it ain’t amateur hour. If you have a solution, by all means share it.

If you have a point, just make it.

Yes I remember reading that, but was the gun an AR? He had two guns with him I believe. My comment about his dad was based on comments I read that his dad made after a school shooting several years back.
I'm not sure what kind of gun it was or even it was true, but I'm sure his dad could be pro-gun yet outspoken against violence and school shootings. Imo

This technique is both transparent, and annoying (leading questions).

It’s also disingenuous.

It’s late, but it ain’t amateur hour. If you have a solution, by all means share it.

If you have a point, just make it.
Thank you! Yes, extremely annoying! (Not to mention smug & sanctimonious +violation of TOS!). The solution is not the one we are being fed. If only it were that easy! That would be a huge mistake to assume. imo. We are not the only country experiencing ever increasing violence. There are other dynamics at play.

So for 2016, here's how it breaks out.

If you take 2,000,000 People, in the UK, roughly 6 1/2 were murdered using a Knife or similar weapon. In the U.S., 10 were killed that way.

If you take the same 2,000,000 People, in the UK, 1 was murdered using a Gun during a 12 month span, while in the U.S., 68 were.

Reactions: nao
Ohio GOP Lawmaker Blames Mass Shootings On Trans People, Gay Marriage And More | HuffPost
I want to cry. Where did we go wrong? When did our leaders become our enemies?

She is of that age range. Just look at her web page. Obviously her district knew who/what they were voting in, why ask for her resignation now. Gasp! She said it out loud! Gimme a break. Transvestites, immigrants, and Obama. Good Lord. She's not going to change though, and she's who they chose. Let her stay and continue to embarrass her district. Maybe they'll pay better attention next election, and possibly there will be a change.

If you take 2,000,000 People, in the UK, roughly 6 1/2 were murdered using a Knife or similar weapon. In the U.S., 10 were killed that way.

If you take the same 2,000,000 People, in the UK, 1 was murdered using a Gun during a 12 month span, while in the U.S., 68 were.

What?
The key facts about rising knife crime re UK knife killings

The number of knife-related homicides went from 272 in 2007 to 186 in 2015. Since then it's risen every year, with a steep increase in 2017-18, when there were 285 killings, the highest figure since 1946.

One in four victims were men aged 18-24.

Have you noticed people are not willing to get into a gun control argument with you here? Ya know here where we have been told several times, gun control debate would not be tolerated?

Last edited:
Absolutely. He’ll be able to shed some light on his demeanor and behavior, in the hours leading up to this.

In retrospect, I’m sure he sees things now that he didn’t think of at the time.

Even if it’s something like “he was unusually happy.”

What I really want to know is:

Did you know he had guns with him?
Did the shooter know where you were or did he just happen to run into you?
Did he tell you to meet him at the location you were shot at?
Did you hear other gunshots before you were shot?
Did the shooter say anything before he shot you?
Did Megan say anything before she was shot?
Did you or Megan recognize the shooter?

I just hope his sister didn't realize it was her brother.

So do I. But I'm afraid that she did. I'd recognize mine and we aren't as close as these two reportedly were. That hoodie he was wearing is also pretty distinctive.... though not as much from the front.

I have no idea what the lighting in that area is like either. Any locals that know the answer to that? Were Megan and Chase shot in the dark alley or out in the street? Or on the lighted sidewalk? That would make a big difference. If it was a lighted area, she almost certainly knew it was her brother.

I'd rather go by gun. Just sayin' (warning: video at the link is not for the feint hearted)

Man hacked to death with samurai sword in busy street 'by ex-flatmate'

I agree. For sure.

More and more coming out about this guy. I really think he was insane. In his MySpace, 10 years ago, he draws a "bloody maggot fetus " "total carnage" "all shall be annihilated" "bloodlust" etc...

And then there is this and lots more at the link:

Seven years after they dated, Doll recalls Betts as a serious and reserved kid who wrestled with hallucinations and menacing voices in his head.

While they were in high school, Betts told Doll that he had suffered from psychosis since he was young and feared developing schizophrenia.

"He would cry to me sometimes," she said, "saying how he's afraid of himself and afraid he was going to hurt someone one day. It's haunting now."

Ex-girlfriend says Dayton shooter heard voices, talked about 'dark, evil things'

I'm glad he is dead because I agree with you. I think this dude was always disturbed but I think he'd really lost it recently. While I know him passing as normal to many people tends to discount that... I think he probably was schizophrenic or something. Was there a family history I wonder? Or was it just his own history that caused him to fear that? I can understand fearing something that you have a family history of.

Thanks. So many inconsistencies.

It's not abnormal in mass shootings like this. When it's all first breaking news no one is really sure what the hell is going on. The initial confusion was because the wrong social media was linked. Obviously the shooter's is gone, but here is Megan's FB. Both parents are still up but I expect that won't last. I'm sure taking it down hasn't been high on the list of priorities.

https://www.facebook.com/megan.betts.6

It's not odd that the details are hard to keep track of. Especially not when we have 3 mass shootings in one week. I have had to double check before I post to make sure I'm thinking of the right perp, right victims, right perp family, right location, right possible motive..... it's been very hard to keep it all straight.

It's not abnormal in mass shootings like this. When it's all first breaking news no one is really sure what the hell is going on. The initial confusion was because the wrong social media was linked. Obviously the shooter's is gone, but here is Megan's FB. Both parents are still up but I expect that won't last. I'm sure taking it down hasn't been high on the list of priorities.

https://www.facebook.com/megan.betts.6

It's not odd that the details are hard to keep track of. Especially not when we have 3 mass shootings in one week. I have had to double check before I post to make sure I'm thinking of the right perp, right victims, right perp family, right location, right possible motive..... it's been very hard to keep it all straight.
What is confusing to me are the news articles embedded within another article. I'm searching for one now that had a Reddit article and I can't remember the name of either or even where I saw them. It was on the El Paso case and had screen shots. Can't find it for anything.

What is confusing to me are the news articles embedded within another article. I'm searching for one now that had a Reddit article and I can't remember the name of either or even where I saw them. It was on the El Paso case and had screen shots. Can't find it for anything.

Media thread?
Articles will often disappear or be edited. So I'm not surprised you can't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper