OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember where I got this info but IIRC when LE first went to the Richardson home and first talked to BSR's father... LE told him they wanted to talk to her about "possibly being a witness to something". I don't think parents were told the details until after they arrived at the police station and BSR was already in a room speaking to detectives. Sooo... I think Dad didn't initially realize he might need to call an attorney for her.

I know she was technically an adult but that seems like another trick to prevent her from asking for a lawyer. When the parents who had been waiting outside the interrogation room and found out their backyard was being searched they probably should have called an attorney.
The first interview/interrogation had a cop smooth talk her into signing a Miranda Warning. She asked for her parents, if she wasn't under arrest she should have been able to leave the room and speak with them. The cop mentioned how intimidating being in a police station in a small room with two cops was but he assured her it was friendly. It was painful watching her be manipulated.

I know she was technically an adult but that seems like another trick to prevent her from asking for a lawyer. When the parents who had been waiting outside the interrogation room and found out their backyard was being searched they probably should have called an attorney.
The first interview/interrogation had a cop smooth talk her into signing a Miranda Warning. She asked for her parents, if she wasn't under arrest she should have been able to leave the room and speak with them. The cop mentioned how intimidating being in a police station in a small room with two cops was but he assured her it was friendly. It was painful watching her be manipulated.

I agree with you that she was manipulated by the detective in the first interview. She said she wanted to see/talk to her parents, she wanted to go home, she asked about an attorney, but all of her questions were seemingly ignored by the detective.

She was not under arrest and could've at any time gotten up and walked out the door to speak to her parents (or went home) but she was led to believe that she had to stay there alone and answer their questions.

JMO

All she had to do was ask for a lawyer and they would have stopped.

DBM

Last edited:
I agree with you that she was manipulated by the detective in the first interview. She wanted to leave, she wanted to see/talk to her parents, she asked about an attorney, but of her questions were seemingly ignored by the detective.

She was not under arrest and could've at any time gotten up and walked out to speak to her parents or went home but she was led to believe that she had to stay there alone and answer their questions.

JMO

The questions were kind of leading. He needed to ask questions but sometimes it seemed like he didn't let her talk. Or he pushed and got answers like "I guess". It seemed like the female officer was there to make sure she wasn't ganged up on by two men. When asked about the baby moving she seemed unsure but he pressed her on it. She should have been feeling kicks and movements for a while maybe seen the movement under her skin. She sounded like a person who thinks they felt their baby's first movement but isn't sure it wasn't a gas bubble. He didn't let her give details in her own words many times.

Agree. But she’s immature and most people don’t know that. Even her father questioned if he needed to call an attorney and then didn’t?

Many people finding themselves in a situation like that, being questioned by the police in an interrogation room, frightened and alone try to do the right thing by answering questions and don’t even think to ask for an attorney.

JMO

Last edited:
Looks like there is quite a bit more to come from the electronic data:

"Kraft conceded that the prosecution lacks “medical and scientific” evidence about the baby’s cause of death, but said prosecutors also collected a trove of electronic messages that investigators took from multiple devices in the home that will help prove the case. She said those details would come later."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...prom-brooke-skylar-richardson/?outputType=amp

Maybe her foods were controlled, or used as a reward and taken it away as a punishment? To me, it sounds like there were snacks, (popcorn, potato chips at home), things that she liked but only permitted to have when she was “good”?

The parents were telling her now you’ll not be able to have any because you’re not coming home with us because you’re going to jail.

Maybe the popcorn was merely meant to represent normalcy and "before jail"? Again, I'm appalled the more we look at this, the more it seemed like the parents were doing LE's interrogative job putting pressure on Skylar; but then again, I suppose this is why LE tapes chats with the parents.

I'm also not particularly enamored with the fact that Skylar's father greeted the fact that the police wanted to meet with her, by calling her up on the cell and growling "Get over here, now." (They're pretty consistent that those are the words he used; this may even be a quote direct from he himself.) I myself added the "growling" as a bit of editorializing, though one could quite easily say "barking", because from the very context we know it wasn't "gently, evenly, or measuredly", because there's really only one way to say those words - the "boy, are you in trouble now" inflection.

While understandable and I'm sure many overwhelmed fathers would have responded in the same manner, I don't love it in the overall scheme of reactions.

We all bring our own history to how we view these cases. Eating disorders have popped up in several lines of my husbands family...always starting in late adolescence...as many mental disorders do. It almost seems genetic since the family structures are not similar.

I’d like to offer a different perspective.

My sister-in-law was her families youngest and the favorite, no doubt...she even mischievously admits to that. Her Mother and Father thought she walked on water. Her issues caused her periods to stop, caused hair loss...and terrified all who loved her. The “cause” seemed to be bullying at school...though she was never really overweight, pretty and smart. My in-laws even moved for her sake...but through different schools and college, the disorder still continued, despite medical intervention. Eventually, she adopted extreme exercise and began eating somewhat healthier.

Two other cousins have followed in the same track. In one family, the laidback parents produced a daughter, not just pretty but beautiful, not just smart but brilliant. Things came very easy for this girl. As she got older, she seemed to impose on herself the need to always be THE BEST...if anything the parents tried to reassure her she was wonderful just as she was. This one honestly was driven by something in herself.
She is an MD today having gone through some of the most prestigious programs. She still comes to family dinners but doesn’t eat...and exercises also to extremes.

These parents became “watchers”...”controllers” but after the fact. Living with someone with this disorder produces its own side effects on others in the family. Watching someone destroy their health daily, dealing with constant lies and deception...is a hell of its own.

Yes, sometimes, controlling families cause this...but in some cases, the control comes AFTER. “Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?” Is there an emphasis on weight...how can there not be...when food is part of the “medicine.” Do we hound love ones to take their medicine when they refuse to? I watched this in this family...for those who live it...I have compassion for their heartbreak and frustration. Ask yourself, what would you do?

How do you “monitor” eating and purging without it being “control?”

In some cases, the child with the eating disorder realizes it is a weapon to control the family. They punish by refusing to eat or starting to purge, if denied their own way. I saw this in two of these families. Refusing to eat becomes a teenage power trip. “Why aren’t you eating?” “Because you won’t buy me the designer purse my friends have! I’m too upset.”

Maybe that’s why I see manipulation and react with dislike and disgust. Thank God I was spared the nightmare of this disorder on a child!

The Mother “sins” whether true or not, are being used in the trial by the prosecution as George Anthony’s “sins” were used in Casey’s trial to provide a narrative.

I will be very interested in her testimony.

I had a friend and roommate who joined Weight Watchers. This was an insane decision, IMO (the girl wore many pairs of shorts, miniskirts, etc. - I knew she wasn't fat); and we were indeed worried about said friend, because largely it seemed like she was trying to diet away "her father's barrel chest", i.e. "ribs" (we knew the family also).

After a while, we heard very little about the Weight Watchers gambit, but several years later she embarked upon marathoning with her husband (no offense to marathoners intended, but I call that "extreme exercise").

Now, if she had merely been worried about her general overall health and then took up marathoning, I wouldn't have said a word. At one point during the Weight Watchers gambit, she also assured us "there are girls in the meeting smaller than me", which similarly alarmed me and the other roommates on the behalf of everyone represented in this story; especially since I am sturdy, and the other gal was unquestionably plus-sized.

It is an insidious message we are giving the world, and each other. I don't really know the answer.

This. He was making sure she understood: you're at the police station with 2 cops and he was really good at making that sound so unimportant and putting her at ease. Nobody can say she was not very informed & understood her rights. He did his job and he did it well.
In other cases we have heard an officer tell a suspect, you need a lawyer. If there was ever a time they should encourage a young person to seek a lawyer it was that day. This will be for the rest of her life no matter what the outcome. This will not go away even if she's found not guilty. And then I snap out of it and remember her charges, this isnt a shoplifting case. She is accused of murdering a baby she carried for nearly 9 months, delivered in a toilet, stillborn or murdered and then buried in the fire pit of the back yard. Kid gloves are off. Tragic all around.
I told both of my kids, you call me if the police ever need to talk to you whether you're grown or not...and then my 14 yr old called me to tell me school resource officer had his phone going through it..i was so embarrassed lol goofy, I didn't mean I was here to help you skirt getting in trouble at school for using a cell phone lmbo That's another thing, do we want our kids to feel unsafe speaking to officers? NO. Now that hes older he understands when to ask for a lawyer or does anybody really? So I say always ask for a lawyer. You never know what can be misconstrued, innocent ppl go to jail. Nature of the beast.

Agree. But she’s immature and most people don’t know that. Even her father questioned if he needed to call an attorney and then didn’t?

Many people finding themselves in a situation like that, being questioned by the police in an interrogation room, are frightened and try to do the right thing by answering questions and don’t even think to ask for an attorney.

JMO

People sometimes think an attorney makes them seem guilty. Her dad also kept saying something like she better have told them (the police) everything, because if she lied it would hurt her. Lawyers know the tricks they also know the prosecutors and can possibly make a plea deal, that gets treatment and the least amount of senseless punishment for their client and can save the state tons of money.

I agree and she is an adult according to the law. Mommy and daddy can't sign the paper for her. That is why they are outside of the room.

If Skylar was underage then a parent would have been with her.

I don't see any manipulation in the police interview. She said she would talk to them without a Lawyer.

@iluvmua I am just expanding on your post.

moo moo jmo

Last edited:
This. He was making sure she understood: you're at the police station with 2 cops and he was really good at making that sound so unimportant and putting her at ease. Nobody can say she was not very informed & understood her rights. He did his job and he did it well.
In other cases we have heard an officer tell a suspect, you need a lawyer. If there was ever a time they should encourage a young person to seek a lawyer it was that day. This will be for the rest of her life no matter what the outcome. This will not go away even if she's found not guilty. And then I snap out of it and remember her charges, this isnt a shoplifting case. She is accused of murdering a baby she carried for nearly 9 months, delivered in a toilet, stillborn or murdered and then buried in the fire pit of the back yard. Kid gloves are off. Tragic all around.
I told both of my kids, you call me if the police ever need to talk to you whether you're grown or not...and then my 14 yr old called me to tell me school resource officer had his phone going through it..i was so embarrassed lol goofy, I didn't mean I was here to help you skirt getting in trouble at school for using a cell phone lmbo That's another thing, do we want our kids to feel unsafe speaking to officers? NO. Now that hes older he understands when to ask for a lawyer or does anybody really? So I say always ask for a lawyer. You never know what can be misconstrued, innocent ppl go to jail. Nature of the beast.

I wouldn't want an adult looking through my kids phone. Taking a phone is one thing and giving it back to the parent or the student at the end of the day is fine. You don't know who is looking at your kids phone which might have pictures, private information, messages and even passwords to that could be linked to an adults credit card. If you get pulled over for speeding and the officer is ready to let you go with a verbal warning, you apologize and say thanks- keep it lawyer free lol.
A lot of people don't think cops can lie to them. People still think if you ask if someone is a cop they have to tell you they are. Trusting cops is difficult. How many young black men have been shot because an officer or officers felt their lives were in danger because they had a cellphone or had their back turned away from them or were just black? I'm white and my experience with most cops has been horrible especially in cases of domestic violence. Many are sexist and racist and bullies that would bend the laws of physics to make their version of the truth work. I wonder how that cop would have acted if she had been more assertive and definitive and cut him off. Everyone would have probably thought she was cold hearted and able to make her own decisions. He might not have been so nice though.

Just casting my vote (so to speak!) about what her dad meant when he said "unfortunately, this has happened before": I think he was talking about neonaticide in general. She was trying to make the point that she couldn't possibly have hurt the baby because it was her own, and I think he was (fairly gently) dismissing this as a good enough explanation because of course other women and girls have hurt or killed their newborns.

I completely agree - it feels like a real reach for people to interpret something so obvious and general as anything else. He’s basically just saying “well, you wouldn’t be the first”

I agree and she is an adult according to the law. Mommy and daddy can't sign the paper for her. That is why they are outside of the room.

If Skylar was underage then a parent would have been with her.

I don't see any manipulation in the police interview. She said she would talk to them without a Lawyer.

@iluvmua I am just expanding on your post.

And even if she at one point changed her mind about talking to them without a lawyer. She could have asked for one and they would have stopped questioning her.

Yep. Both mom and dad said they would support her.

I do not buy the I did not tell anyone because I was scared BS she is trying to pull.

The reason why she did not tell anyone is because she, imo intentionally and knowingly killed her child and if mommy and daddy found the body/remains in the backyard they would have alerted the authorities.

She wanted to go on with her life as if nothing happened. She didn't want to be inconvenienced with a child at all.

Jmo

Not even confiding in a friend is sad. Hiding things from your parents makes sense but not having a single friend you trust to say "what if I'm pregnant" must be isolating. It might also make it seem less real. If you look pregnant and have a best friend they should ask you if you could be.

I think we might be surprised at the amount of people in the U.S. who don't know that the situation is "Never believe LE when they say they 'just want to ask you a few questions'. If they have asked you to come into the police office" (versus you coming in yourself to file a report or similar), "it is always 'an interrogation', and you should conduct yourself accordingly." Especially underage individuals.

I think we might be surprised at the amount of people in the U.S. who don't know that the situation is "Never believe LE when they say they 'just want to ask you a few questions'. If they have asked you to come into the police office" (versus you coming in yourself to file a report or similar), "it is always 'an interrogation', and you should conduct yourself accordingly." Especially underage individuals.

She was 18. That is why her mom or dad were not in the room with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*