• brian_randall_shaffer_2.jpg
  • brian_randall_shaffer_3.jpg
  • brian_randall_shaffer_4.jpg
  • brian_randall_shaffer_5.jpg
    Shaffer, circa 2006; Shaffer's tattoo
    • Missing Since 04/01/2006
    • Missing From Columbus, Ohio

• ''Height and Weight 6'2, 165 pounds
    • Clothing/Jewelry Description An olive green short-sleeved polo shirt over a white long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans, white Adidas sneakers and a yellow rubber cancer awareness bracelet.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Light brown hair, hazel eyes. Shaffer has a tattoo of a Pearl Jam symbol on his upper right arm; a photo of the tattoo is posted below this case summary. He wears wire-framed eyeglasses. Shaffer has a black spot on his left iris.''

If you look at the report with Brian’s status it has a time stamp that it was updated in October 2019. Unfortunately there is no way for me to know what was changed or updated. Not only is his status not a crime/other service, but in April 2019 CPD tweeted this. I will say that I brought this to the attention of John Hurst and Don Corbett. It seems no one knew Brian was declared deceased. John was still with CPD when Brian was declared deceased, so I would say that Brian’s status has nothing to do with the declaration of death.
“Seems” is the key word. I assume CPD knew.

Last edited:
"And he can't be just behind a wall or a floorboard."

Actually, yeah, he could be. Searches were done for these guys, too.

DJ's Mummified Body Found Behind Wall

Body of Man Missing for 10 Years Found Behind Supermarket Cooler

I'm with Occam on this one; except in truly rare instances, the most likely scenario is usually the least complicated. It still sounds like Brian left through the band exit, even after the band had left while he was with Amber and Brighton. There would've still been people leaving that way for the after-party, going to the bathroom etc on the way out. As long as they had the address/ vicinity of the party there wouldn't necessarily be a one-time herd leaving before 2:30am. With a school that size, and presumambly not the most sober of groups, he wouldn't stand out.

I think Brian made his way to the Wendy's lot for a ride to the party, for drugs, or a hookup (male or female). He would've intentionally avoided Clint and Meredith if he either didn't want them to know his destination, or simply didn't want to go home yet and run risk of his girlfriend wondering why he told C and M to leave without him since he would've had to come up with something if he'd run into them. He would have assumed he could tell them he just lost them in the shuffle the next day. If Clint were hiding something at the time, it could be as simple as Brian did drugs and/or was cheating on his girlfriend. Both of which would have been a big deal at the time to blow your friend's cover. Clint may very well have released that info later, and police haven't disclosed it.

After the Wendy's rendevous, he may have had a fatal drug overdose, alcohol poisoning, or drunken fall and then dumped in the woods, possibly just to sleep it off. If he wasn't dead yet, he would be of hypothermia and just hasn't been found. A darker theory would be one/both of the significant others of girls at the bar, or anyone he may have run his mouth at for that matter, who followed him to Wendy's or the party. Or if they weren't at UTS, were called to show up. Less likely are being hit by a driver who panicked and was able to get his body out of the road without being seen or a mugging/abduction/murder/disposal by a stranger or strangers.

While it's possible he ran away to start a new life, even possible though unlikely that some in his life new his desire but not the exact plan, it seems highly improbable without some serious planning and resources. And certainly not after a night of drinking. If he made it home and planned to leave the next day it'd still be unlikely for him to pull it off without help.

As for the construction site, I don't think his body is there. If he'd been bonked over the head with rebar or somehow died accidently someone would've had to find him and then decide that whether accident or homicide it wasn't good public relations for UTS or OSU, whether or not that person was involved. He/she would then get his body out of there asap, even if it had to be hidden until the next day. That someone would need access at off hours or to have gotten his body to a dumpster after even staff had left. It would make no sense to try to permanently hide his body on the premises, he/she would most likely assume in a college town that the deceased's friends would lead police right back to UTS. In my estimation, the only way his body could be on premises is the farthest of flung scenarios where his body made it's way deep into the ground by itself ie sinking, and sinking below the level of the actual construction itself, which is unlikely. I don't think the zoning would be allowed over that kind of water table. And he can't be just behind a wall or a floorboard. If he died or was killed at UTS, it was an awfully short timeline and he's probably in a landfill, which could have been traced in those first few days.

Imagine how many other missing people are right there to be found but for whatever reason are just missed.
Without a doubt unlikely in this case. Trained dogs were there at the time the body would've produced the most gases for hits. Other cases involved perfunctory "searches." Brian's body either made its way out to a dumpster before significant decomp would register, or he left alive and encountered who knows.

Without a doubt unlikely in this case. Trained dogs were there at the time the body would've produced the most gases for hits. Other cases involved perfunctory "searches." Brian's body either made its way out to a dumpster before significant decomp would register, or he left alive and encountered who knows.
Dogs aren't reliable. The construction site is most likely place on the planet where Brian's remains lie. They just missed him, probably by mere feet. Shoulda busted out a shovel, moved a little dirt. Seems crazy that they didn't. Brian's dad, bless his soul, took dogs in there. He should have slipped in there Sunday or Monday night, 3-5am-ish when dead quiet, and called Brian's cell, and listened ever so closely for a faint ring tone. Ya never know. IMO.

Last edited:
Dogs aren't reliable. The construction site is most likely place on the planet where Brian's remains lie. They just missed him, probably by mere feet. Shoulda busted out a shovel, moved a little dirt. Seems crazy that they didn't. Brian's dad, bless his soul, took dogs in there. He should have slipped in there Sunday or Monday night, 3-5am-ish when dead quiet, and called Brian's cell, and listened ever so closely for a faint ring tone. Ya never know. IMO.
Agreed. Dogs aren't 100% reliable, much like human officers. In this case, if we are to believe reports, the place was searched top to bottom multiple times with the dogs and the officers. I don't think his body is there. And if it was on that fateful early morning, it wasn't for long...

There was a nice profile of Lori Davis on SpectrumNews tonight - Shaffer was mentioned in addition to other cases. She really seems like a sweet lady who will never give up in seeking justice for Brian and other missing persons in Ohio no matter the obstacles.

Also, on one of the “Find Brian” Facebook groups, a supposed family member made a cryptic (perhaps trolling) statement the other day that there would be some sort of update coming soon on Brian. Take that for what it’s worth.

There was a nice profile of Lori Davis on SpectrumNews tonight - Shaffer was mentioned in addition to other cases. She really seems like a sweet lady who will never give up in seeking justice for Brian and other missing persons in Ohio no matter the obstacles.

Also, on one of the “Find Brian” Facebook groups, a supposed family member made a cryptic (perhaps trolling) statement the other day that there would be some sort of update coming soon on Brian. Take that for what it’s worth.
Lori is an amazing lady, her intentions are true and her heart is in the right place. Lori truly does amazing work for the missing and I admire her efforts and success.

Brian isn’t in the building. The building has been completely remodeled since then. The 3 theories are: he willfully disappeared, he committed suicide, he was murdered.
You're right. Most likely not in. Under. That is why no remodel would lead to his remains. A simple unwitnessed drunken accidental death right there in the poorly secured active construction area within the complex. No need to conjure up a murderer, no inexplicable suicide, no Houdini-like running off, no need to dream up reasons he never appeared on cams, never a sign of life outside the complex.

Last edited:
You're right. Most likely not in. Under. That is why no remodel would lead to his remains. A simple unwitnessed drunken accidental death right there in the poorly secured active construction area within the complex. No need to conjure up a murderer, no inexplicable suicide, no Houdini-like running off, no need to dream up reasons he never appeared on cams, never a sign of life outside the complex.

I may be mistaken, but the awful odor emanating from that particular area of the building around the time of Brian’s disappearance was never identified. That bothers me.

I, too, think Brian is within the building.

I may be mistaken, but the awful odor emanating from that particular area of the building around the time of Brian’s disappearance was never identified. That bothers me.

I, too, think Brian is within the building.

Do you have a link about the odor? I had never heard that before.

Theodore Decker: Bar's closing calls to mind Brian Shaffer's disappearance
''There were the stories you’d expect, wistful recollections of pregame “fishbowls” in the South Campus Gateway bar and truly legendary senior crawls.

A Yelper once wrote that the University District’s Ugly Tuna Saloona “perpetually smells like a mixture of Axe body spray and stale vomit,” and he meant it as a compliment. After the bar closed on Tuesday, its devotees took to social media to mourn those glory days.

Beneath a short story about the closing posted by The Lantern, Ohio State University’s student newspaper, a single comment referenced a darker piece of the bar’s past.

“I wonder if they’ll finally figure out what ever happened to that guy who disappeared.”

That guy who disappeared.''

Do you have a link about the odor? I had never heard that before.
Several years ago out of curiosity I did some sleuthing and went back through old Yelp posts for the Sunflower Market and Mad Mexx and the Gateway theatre, and I discovered that a Yelp user reported an awful stench detectable within the theatre not long after Brian disappeared, very near where Brian was last seen on video. The Yelper assumed the small kitchen area in the theatre was the culprit, which is understandable. The entrance to the theatre was, like the entrance to UTS, at the top of the escalator. You'll find my post on it circa 2017 (or was it 2016?).

Last edited:
Several years ago out of curiosity I did some sleuthing and went back through old Yelp posts for the Sunflower Market and the theatre, and I discovered that a Yelp user reported an awful stench detectable within the theatre not long after Brian disappeared, very near where Brian was last seen on video. The Yelper assumed the small kitchen area in the theatre was the culprit, which is understandable. The entrance to the theatre was, like the entrance to UTS, at the top of the escalator. You'll find my post on it circa 2017 (or was it 2016?).
I know you think Brian is buried under the former construction site, but I believe that he's above ground, somewhere near the escalator or elevator. There are spaces under and around an escalators and elevators that never see the light of day. I think the situation could be something very simple. Maybe Brian dropped his phone into a crevice and was trying to recover it. Maybe he was buzzed enough that he thought it would be funny to hide from Clint and Meredith as a joke.

I know you think Brian is buried under the former construction site, but I believe that he's above ground, somewhere near the escalator or elevator. There are spaces under and around an escalators and elevators that never see the light of day. I think the situation could be something very simple. Maybe Brian dropped his phone into a crevice and was trying to recover it. Maybe he was buzzed enough that he thought it would be funny to hide from Clint and Meredith as a joke.
I think both are possible and it is probably one or the other. I definitely think the complex with its non-square configuration (due to its presence at a non-square roadway intersection) doubtless has some crevices/dead-space. I think Brian was likely in an accident within 10 minutes of last appearing in that surveillance vid, and probably within 100 feet or so. Probably dead or dying as Clint and Meredith pulled out of the parking garage. Wish this case would get put to rest but the appetite for a new search of the premises with latest tech seems to be zero. It'd be interesting to chat with original building contractor chief man for the complex and a construction crew member on the build-out of the Sunflower Market space and also the building's maintenance man at the time of the disappearance. Had I been in Hurst's shoes that'd have been my focus. Of course, Hurst didn't have the benefit of knowing at the time in those early days that Brian was permanently gone and almost certainly died that eve/morn...

Last edited:
Several years ago out of curiosity I did some sleuthing and went back through old Yelp posts for the Sunflower Market and Mad Mexx and the Gateway theatre, and I discovered that a Yelp user reported an awful stench detectable within the theatre not long after Brian disappeared, very near where Brian was last seen on video. The Yelper assumed the small kitchen area in the theatre was the culprit, which is understandable. The entrance to the theatre was, like the entrance to UTS, at the top of the escalator. You'll find my post on it circa 2017 (or was it 2016?).
Post #1040
From thread..
OH - OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

More 'odour''talk here..
OH - OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Reactions: DRT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online