OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian is such a handsome guy.

Some of you who follow this case closely......what are your theories.

Was the friend involved or not and didn't the two leave well before Brian that night.....on camera?

Sadly it is starting to look like this will never be solved.If his friend was involved hes not talking.Was it a murder or an accidental death that somebody got scared and covered it up?I never heard anything about him ever taking drugs but you never know.The obvious problem is there is no evidence of a crime or if he just walked away from everything.I think he some how left the bar and met up with somebody else later on and something bad happened.the case is very puzzeling and unfortunatly there are alot more missing cases out there just like brians.

The strangest thing to me about this case is that the video camera see's him go IN to the bar, but not come out?? How is that possible??

Wow! It is cases like this that leave you feeling so confused and frustrated! I remember years ago-when this case first happened. It was such a mystery. One minute there is a video shot of this up and coming doctor, handsome young man just standing talking like millions of people do everyday and the next thing you know he then just disappears into thin air. Never to be seen or heard from again. His mother's passing away three weeks earlier, his disappearance, his father's unexpected death, leaving his poor brother to carry on alone. I felt so sorry for the brother left behind to have to carry the magnitude of that weight around-his WHOLE IMMEDIATE FAMILY GONE! I prayed a lot for him!

I remember watching a show on Dateline about the case and signing on and leaving my condolences in the family's guestbook. This story scared me greatly and made me think-think-think. Since then a lot more young, middle-aged and older people have also just disappeared into thin air. Where-oh-where are these people? I mean a lot of these poor people weren't in out of the way, rural backwater places where you wouldn't expect them to be seen. A lot of them where in places where a lot of people are around, people coming and going. Cases like these still leave me shaking my head in wonderment and thinking: there but by the grace of God go I?

Please-please-please-someday soon-someway-somehow may all of these families receive the answers and the peace that they so desperately need and deserve.

This might sound utterly ridiculous but what IF Brian is alive? Of course, I have always hoped he was but sincerely doubted that was the case. When you think about it, Clint is the only person who refused a polygraph and essentially lawyered up at a certain point and refused to talk. What if he DOES know something? Suppose Brian told Clint that night he was leaving and didn't want anyone to know where he was going, except Clint? Maybe it's a situation where Clint is harboring this secret and vowed to never tell where Brian was. When you think about Clint's behavior, it's either a scenario like that or else he knows Brian is NOT alive and knows something about that too.

I personally find it very hard to believe Brian is alive and would do that to his family. And especially after Randy Shaffer's death, you would definitely think he would have come back and let everyone know he was alive. I just find Clint's behavior somewhat strange and I think he knows more than what he is telling.

Boy that would be wild if he were alive. Personally, I just don't believe he is alive but there is always a chance.

I've always assumed that Clint knows more and won't tell but there is also the possibility that he knows nothing that would solve this case.

My analysis starts with the basic premise that the police tend to look for a simple answer when the investigate a missing person case that might or might not be a crime. They don't want to waste time and resources on a case that might be a voluntary departure, so they do the basics to see what they can find out.

The fact his friend refuses to take a polygraph does not mean he knows what happened to Brian or that he has lied in his statements to the police. The news items make it clear that the police never attempted to polygraph everyone who might know something, they selectively chose whom to question.

Clint's refusal to submit to a polygraph may have to do with the fact he chooses not to discuss other events of that night which might include drug usage by him or Brian. Once he is strapped onto that polygraph device, he might honestly say he does not know what happened to Brian. Then the cops can segue to questions about drugs or other illicit activities and if he gets defensive then they may say AHA! he's being deceptive and now we have our suspect #1.

I doubt there was only one entrance and one egress to the bar. They almost all have a door in the back for deliveries and garbage removal. So it would seem to me that Brian 1. somehow changed his appearance before exiting the public door, 2. he exited the rear door, or 3. he remained (dead or alive) in the bar until the next day. None of these questions answer the question where he went, but those are the only plausible scenarios I see here.

Was there any indication the police looked at video from the subsequent day?

I could see a scenario where Clint tells the police everything he knows and then starts to think he may be a suspect so he gets an attorney who tells him to refuse a polygraph.

I think that Brian met with foul play and that he was killed..........I don't buy that he just walked out on his life.

Clint’s behavior is of a cowardly man who has something to hide.

Coward or not he may have NOTHING to do with Brian's disappearance but does not want to get dragged into something else by police questioning.

Agreeing to submit to a polygraph NEVER benefits the person being polygraphed, guilty or innocent. The results prove nothing, are inadmissible in court and pathological liars can pass them with flying colors.

never did see a reply to my question about what happened to Lexi ... anyone know? Dear thing ... it makes me SO sad for her.

Webrocket, you bring up some good points, but there are some additional things to consider.

The police have a job to do--and that is to investigate what happenned to Brian. They also have full access to the entire case file, if they are selective about who they polygraph, this would be due to evidence and information that everyone else is not privy to. Their 'selections' are not random.

IF Clint knows about some illicit drug activity that took place that night, that is NO REASON to avoid the polygraph. Most police officers are not stupid, they know that college kids experiment with drugs. AND frankly, Clint would not be imperiled by this admission, especially if he provided the information he has on the condition that the police take no action as a result of his self incrimination (related to drugs). These arranagements are made all the time; very common and perfunctory. CLint's lawyer could EASILY facilitate this.

Boohoo that Clint is inconvenienced by the polygraph, Brian's family has a right to know what happenned to him!! Consider if you will, the unethical nature of denying closure to Brian's family. Also, as we all know, police resources are very scarce. Clint's refusal to take the polygraph is hindering the investigation. If he really is innocent, he is doing himself and everyone else a grave disservice.

Rememember, Brian was abducted and is presumed dead. Is this not a serious situation? In dire circumstances such as these noble and extreme actions are required, with friends like Clint, who needs enemies??

Geojeffrey

I appreciate and respect your input. Fortunately I am neither in Brian's family's shoes nor Clint's shoes.

Polygraph tests are not quite junk science but not reliable enough to be used in court. So they are really of limited investigatory utility other than for the cops to say "we know this guys is lying about ______", which of course they don't really know, it is whatever the person administering the test says the outcome is. And remember, the police are looking to pin this on someone so in my opinion Clint would be a fool to submit to the test.

Even if he took the test and passed people will still say he knows something. The cops could even put some negative spin on a "truthful" outcome (like he had years to practice his lies, etc). From Clint's vantage point, this is a no win situation so he has made his decision.

Let's assume, and this is just an assumption, that Clint knows some drug dealers knocked Brian off. Don't you think the same people would have bumped Clint off years ago?

Webrocket--

You are completely correct, polygraph tests are not admissable in court because of reliability. They measure several involuntary physiological responses that are associated with lying. Various studies cite their reliability at 50 to 80 percent.

Though not perfect, they are tools that guide or direct investigations, particularly investigations that are lacking in evidence. This is of course one of the biggest problems for solving Brian's case, the lack of a known crime scene and the lack of a found body. It is this absence of information that tormented Brian's father over the last couple years of his life.

Over the years, polygraph's have in fact cleared countless potential suspects/POIs during criminal investigations.

In Clint's case, had he taken the test and passed, he would have greatly reduced the cloud of suspicion. Then, investigators would have had greater confidence that they needed to look elsewhere.

Clint seems like an appropriate investigative target (to me) because:

-Clint WAS the last known person to see Brian alive.
-Clint and Brian had been roommates in previous years.
-Clint and Brian had ocasional disagreements/problems.
-Brian's girlfriend was NOT happy about them socializing with each other.
-Brian was punched in the face at a crowded party. Brian suspected Clint had arranged the assault.
-Clint had little allibi for the weekend in question, other than he was alone at his apartment.
-Clint showed little concern for his missing friend.
-Clint made a few derogatory comments about Brian to the media.
-Brian's father talked with Clint several times in the week following the disappearance. His father had known Clint for years and he did not believe Clint was answering the questions fully or honestly.
-Clint halted all communciations with Brian's father, just a couple weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste