OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends? The same friends he went to the bar with or did he meet up with other ones at the bar? And my question would be if he left with friends, how come he is not on camera leaving the bar, only entering?

If he left with friends, I assume it was different friends, and maybe they weren't really "friends", if you know what I mean. IIRC, weren't Clint and the girl seen leaving on the video cameras? But not Brian. Possibly these friends manipulated him into going out the construction entrance, perhaps he was just that enebriated already so just went along, or maybe they were supposedly going out to smoke a joint, or maybe they drugged him. From there to their waiting car.
I'm quite sure there's a lot to this story we don't know and probably never will. But IMO, Clint knows something, the reason he refuses polygraphs and has never come out publicly showing interest in finding his missing "friend". That's as strange as the no polygraph, IMO.
Maybe it's something Bryan and Clint were involved in, or Clint knew about that they wouldn't want to come out. Or maybe Clint set something up with these "friends" for either money or other nefarious reasons. Maybe a rivalry thing on his part. I still think jealousy could have been a motive. The statement Brian's gf made that he wanted to talk to the guys about her, then he suddenly disappears, well, I just find that a little mysterious. JMO

Something else I have questions about on the off chance Brian disappeared willingly. We all know the death of his mother was hard on him. How were his grades in med school? Was he not happy with his major in medicine? Were his grades suffering? Was he having misgivings about his romantic relationship? Did he have any history or symptoms of depression? Was it anything like Joey Labute, could he have been meeting up with someone for a one night fling that went terribly wrong?

I see it as very strange!! If I ever disappear, I hope those that were with me on the night of the disappearance would all volunteer to take a polygraph to help the police more accurately direct the investigation...

Police use polygraphs as a tool for focusing their investigation. If Clint had taken the test and passed, the police could've moved on in a more fruitful direction.

In addition to the polygraph, there were some other strange things about Clint'a behavior. You can look back earlier in the thread if you want to see that. Brian's father had a lot of concerns about Clint that went way beyond the polygraph…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the refusal of a polygraph as all that strange. I agree with others who have stated that poly results are often unreliable.
Clint cooperated at the very beginning. He told the police all he knows (and has stated so numerous times since) and sees no need to go over the same info over and over and over again, particularly after so long.
I'm not necessarily defending Clint, I do believe that he may know more than he's said, just stating that the refusal of the poly isn't necessarily incriminating.
I wouldn't expect my friends to submit to polygraphs if I went missing. But that's just me. *shrug*

So you say that Clint told the police all he knows. Well, how do you know that?

Clint and the two girls were the last known people to see Brian. It's standard practice to investigate them, and you cannot just take someone at their word in a life or death situation like this...the two girls took the polygraph. Clint didn't....hmmmmmm, maybe just maybe he knows more than he is saying?!!

I don't see the refusal of a polygraph as all that strange. I agree with others who have stated that poly results are often unreliable.
Clint cooperated at the very beginning. He told the police all he knows (and has stated so numerous times since) and sees no need to go over the same info over and over and over again, particularly after so long.
I'm not necessarily defending Clint, I do believe that he may know more than he's said, just stating that the refusal of the poly isn't necessarily incriminating.
I wouldn't expect my friends to submit to polygraphs if I went missing. But that's just me. *shrug*

Yes. please do tell, this case needs more information! Do know anyone from that night personally?

I still fail to see how Clint taking a polygraph will aid in finding Brian or shed light on what happened that night, so will someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

I don't see how not participating in the pseudo-science that is a polygraph test points to any wrongdoing or lying. I don't think I would do one either. It's completely different than say giving a DNA sample which is a proven science.

It isn't pseudo science in this context. Police are stumped..and it's a serious situation, so it can help focus an investigation. Polygraphs provide data on the bodies involuntary responses to questions posed. They are not admissible in court because they don't give answers, they only provide indications of honesty/deception. Hypothetically speaking, if Clint agreed to the test and passed it. Police could have an increased level of confidence that he didn't know more. If results showed deception, they would take a closer look. Does Clint have to take the test--of course not. But ask yourself how you would feel about this if your son or daughter was the victim??

I don't see how not participating in the pseudo-science that is a polygraph test points to any wrongdoing or lying. I don't think I would do one either. It's completely different than say giving a DNA sample which is a proven science.

I agree.

It isn't pseudo science in this context. Police are stumped..and it's a serious situation, so it can help focus an investigation. Polygraphs provide data on the bodies involuntary responses to questions posed. They are not admissible in court because they don't give answers, they only provide indications of honesty/deception. Hypothetically speaking, if Clint agreed to the test and passed it. Police could have an increased level of confidence that he didn't know more. If results showed deception, they would take a closer look. Does Clint have to take the test--of course not. But ask yourself how you would feel about this if your son or daughter was the victim??

No offense, but I still don't see how any of what is cited above, or Clint taking a polygraph, would actually help find Brian.

Let's say you are innocent and have no idea what happened to your friend. By taking a polygraph you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by taking the poly. If you fail, you risk the legal system (police, prosecutor, etc. going after you) and not sure if word gets out in the media, admission to med school, relationships, etc. How does it really help in a situation like this? It's not like they have a ton of suspects to investigate and quickly need to rule a bunch out.

Good points! And, I guess not everyone would put themselves at risk when a friend vanishes...

Let's say you are innocent and have no idea what happened to your friend. By taking a polygraph you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by taking the poly. If you fail, you risk the legal system (police, prosecutor, etc. going after you) and not sure if word gets out in the media, admission to med school, relationships, etc. How does it really help in a situation like this? It's not like they have a ton of suspects to investigate and quickly need to rule a bunch out.

I don't agree with the implication that Clint had nothing to gain and everything to lose by taking a polygraph. He had quite a bit to gain. He could have allayed LE and the Schaffer family's concerns of his involvement. He could have avoided the rumors that he was involved because of his refusal to take the polygraph. He could have demonstrated his true concern for his friend. If Clint wanted his friend found, and he knows LE is focusing in the wrong direction, then taking the polygraph could help refocus the investigation.

Why would Brian's friend be considering what he had to gain by taking a polygraph? A friend's concern would be with helping find Brian, including taking a polygraph. IMO. Regardless of the results, as innocent people can 'fail' polygraphs. It's the willingness to take one that is meaningful.

The issue isn't just Clint refusing to take the polygraph. It's that, in conjunction with, his request for immunity. IMO, of course.

Posted through Tapatalk

So you say that Clint told the police all he knows. Well, how do you know that?
Clint and the two girls were the last known people to see Brian. It's standard practice to investigate them, and you cannot just take someone at their word in a life or death situation like this...the two girls took the polygraph. Clint didn't....hmmmmmm, maybe just maybe he knows more than he is saying?!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

((RBBM for focus))
I based my statement on this:
In April 2009, The Lantern, Ohio State's student newspaper, disclosed the exchange. "If Brian is alive, which is what I'm led to believe after speaking with the detective involved, then it is Brian, and not Clint who is causing his family pain and hardship," Rosenberg wrote. "Brian should come forward and end this." Florence, he said, did not have anything to hide, he had merely told everything he knew from the beginning and did not see the value of doing so again.[SUP][4][/SUP]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Brian_Shaffer

Can I read his mind and say for sure that he's told police everything? Certainly not, but neither can anyone else do the same and say he hasn't told them everything, either.

This is probably nothing new but I thought it worth mentioning. It gave me the chills:
http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2008/09/110907-kyle-fleischmann-24-charlotte.html
Odd Coincidences
As with some of the other cases of missing young men, Kyle was without his coat and money during chilly weather. He apparently tried to call friends and family between 2 and 3 am (perhaps realizing he needed a ride). Similarities have also been drawn between his case and that of Max Walker who disappeared from the Buckhead Saloon in Milwaukee, in July 2006, and that of Justin Gaines, who disappeared after leaving Wild Bills Saloon in Duluth, Georgia on November 2, 2007. Justin also tried to contact friends via cell phone to get a ride.
This makes four young men who disappeared between 2006-2007 period from a bar with Saloon in its name
Kyle disappeared from Buckhead Saloon in uptown Charlotte, North Carolina
Max was later found deceased, but the other 3 are still missing.

I seen this thread was old but needed to tell someone , I lived in Columbus oh for 18 years , I moved to Perry county almost a year ago . Upon moving here I was told by multiple people not to go to bars alone or in a small group , people in my rural town alerted me to the fact people in Perry county would go to bars in Columbus and other major cities in Ohio and would drug and kidnap people , bring them out here and would hunt them like deer . At first I thought it was just some old wise tale to frighten new people but upon asking other locals and a retired police officer I was told it was true . I'm unsure if Brian Schaffer was one of these people but wanted to make other alert in Columbus and nearby cities

I seen this thread was old but needed to tell someone , I lived in Columbus oh for 18 years , I moved to Perry county almost a year ago . Upon moving here I was told by multiple people not to go to bars alone or in a small group , people in my rural town alerted me to the fact people in Perry county would go to bars in Columbus and other major cities in Ohio and would drug and kidnap people , bring them out here and would hunt them like deer . At first I thought it was just some old wise tale to frighten new people but upon asking other locals and a retired police officer I was told it was true . I'm unsure if Brian Schaffer was one of these people but wanted to make other alert in Columbus and nearby cities

Welcome to Ws Dsmwife2014!
That is a very scary scenario, wondering if a certain type of person might be targeted for that kind of well, targeting?

Oh how horrible. I saw a movie based on something like that, never thought it would be true. But then there are some really perverted, evil people in our world.
So is the "future" already here? :scared:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hunting
A 2016 report by Daniel Wright, senior lecturer in tourism at the University of Central Lancashire, predicts the hunting of the poor will become a hobby of the superrich in a future plagued by economic and ecological disasters and overpopulation.[SUP][2][/SUP]

Welcome to Ws Dsmwife2014!
That is a very scary scenario, wondering if a certain type of person might be targeted for that kind of well, targeting?

I'm thinking someone the evil ones perceive as "different" than themselves. Anyone who would hunt humans has a screw loose and a reservation in hell anyway, so it could be anyone they are prejudiced against, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892