OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i read something similar a while back when i first started reading about Brian's case. I think the person was alluding to Clint being the 'other guy' in that theory. i.e: he was having some kind of gay involvement with Clint and couldn't face the guilt of letting down his girlfriend so he was throwing out comments such as "Maybe you should move on and find someone else" to kind of get her to break away.

If that was the reason for him willingly disappearing though, would he really need to stay away this long? His girlfriend of the time is now married to someone else anyway. Both his parents have passed away. He doesn't have to play the perfectly happy married doctor, etc. If it was that i just don't see the reason why he would need to disappear completely and forever. What would he still need to hide from or be ashamed of?

Good question, but I would imagine he would have tremendous guilt from running away and abandoning his family, then his father dying while he was gone. Maybe he's just not able to face his brother. I can see how it would be extremely difficult to face family after leaving them not knowing, all the searching, all the sadness and grief caused by his disappearing without telling anyone. I can definitely see how it would be a very hard thing to come back.

Interesting comment by a FR under this video. Click on newest first, it's about the fourth comment down and was posted 4 months ago. I have no idea if there's anything to it, but I have to admit I have often thought of something like this as a possible theory. Except without the part about one of them having him "done in"..... but rather a reason for him to willingly disappear. Then again, who knows? jmo

[video=youtube;Fz50sB89uG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz50sB89uG8[/video]

Yeah. This theory has come up previously on WS and other forums. Another rumor claimed Clint once had someone assault/punch Brian at a party, leading to speculation that Clint had some sort of resentment with Brian. Another theory is the two of them were involved in some sort of drugs together...not sure if that implies street drugs or illegal use of pharmaceuticals as Med students. That has caused people including me to entertain extremes, like Brian being in the witness protection program or being a confidential informant that was found out. However, if you go by the police who conducted a thorough investigation and the opinion of those closest to Brian, the theory he had a double life and these other more extreme alternative theories seem unlikely. Nothing is ever impossible when you've turned up nothing in 10 years. But unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. This theory has come up previously on WS and other forums. Another rumor claimed Clint once had someone assault/punch Brian at a party, leading to speculation that Clint had some sort of resentment with Brian. Another theory is the two of them were involved in some sort of drugs together...not sure if that implies street drugs or illegal use of pharmaceuticals as Med students. That has caused people including me to entertain extremes, like Brian being in the witness protection program or being a confidential informant that was found out. However, if you go by the police who conducted a thorough investigation and the opinion of those closest to Brian, the theory he had a double life and these other more extreme alternative theories seem unlikely. Nothing is ever impossible when you've turned up nothing in 10 years. But unlikely.

Yes, we hope they did a thorough investigation, and from what the investigators have reported they have three theories. I think as there's no evidence of anything,that this theory could well be one of them. But that's just MOO.

Yeah i read something similar a while back when i first started reading about Brian's case. I think the person was alluding to Clint being the 'other guy' in that theory. i.e: he was having some kind of gay involvement with Clint and couldn't face the guilt of letting down his girlfriend so he was throwing out comments such as "Maybe you should move on and find someone else" to kind of get her to break away.
Well from what I've seen he seemed to be pretty in love with Alexis. It was even discovered that his password was "alexislovemarry". If Brian was gay then the poor guy was really over compensating. Perhaps he was bisexual though. I could totally believe Clint being in love with Brian, though Clint is now married to a woman.

I find the theory of Clint and Brian having a romantic relationship totally preposterous. There is absolutely nothing indicating that, and I think it's a stretch. Like I mentioned previously... A. Clint know what got Brian killed B. He knows that Brian escaped. It's either A or B. Him getting a lawyer right away and not speaking only reinforces the idea that he knows something. It's kind of hard to believe that a friend would just turn so cold in an instant. I am more inclined to believe that he knows something vital.

I don't think being in love with Alexis would negate his wishes to go away. He could be very much in love with her but perhaps felt like that he wasn't good for her, or simply didn't picture their future together. Even if he decided to leave, I don't think that he didn't love or care about his family. Circumstances of life can drive people over the edge. Perhaps Brian had no idea who he was after being so immersed in medicine, I think his mother's death exacerbated everything. Perhaps he didn't see a way out and he decided to go away because he was turning into somebody he didn't want to be. There is no reason that I wouldn't understand why he left if he left on his own accord. Real pain does some tough things to people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question, but I would imagine he would have tremendous guilt from running away and abandoning his family, then his father dying while he was gone. Maybe he's just not able to face his brother. I can see how it would be extremely difficult to face family after leaving them not knowing, all the searching, all the sadness and grief caused by his disappearing without telling anyone. I can definitely see how it would be a very hard thing to come back.

That's true, but I guess it's more being separated for a long time and leaving things behind for so long. Family or not, certain ties, relationships and familiar presence is lost after some time. I don't believe that Brian is going to come back one day. If he did leave, he made some significant decisions that will be extremely hard to overturn.

That's true, but I guess it's more being separated for a long time and leaving things behind for so long. Family or not, certain ties, relationships and familiar presence is lost after some time. I don't believe that Brian is going to come back one day. If he did leave, he made some significant decisions that will be extremely hard to overturn.

How very true about family ties. I also totally agree with the bolded in your post.

Yes, we hope they did a thorough investigation, and from what the investigators have reported they have three theories. I think as there's no evidence of anything,that this theory could well be one of them. But that's just MOO.

Just to clarify, I don't believe that Brian disappeared due to dug dealing, being murdered by Clint, or that he went into some type of witness protection program, or that Clint had some kind of love interest in Brian.... the last two are really stretching it, IMO. One of the three theories I think is possible is that Brian willingly disappeared because he wanted to live a different kind of life than the one he was living. jmo

Hey guys,

First time posting but I wanted to share my thoughts on this case since I lived in the OSU campus area at the same time and worked there. I've also been to Ugly Tuna and the Gateway Film Center theater across from it dozens of times and know the area pretty well. I remember at that time and for several years they were doing construction there and at several places within a few blocks. My theory is that Brian was secretly selling prescription drugs-- he wanted to stay out of sight and slipped out through the construction area in the back to meet a buyer and got killed. Unfortunately drugs like Oxy, Adderall, etc are very common around campus and he either was caught selling on some other dealer's territory or robbed(and subsequently killed) for his stash.

If you head north on High Street there are wooded areas to dump/dispose a body or he could be buried in one of the many open construction sites nearby. More than likely he will never be found though as 10+ years have gone by.

Such a sad story, so much wasted potential.

Just to clarify, I don't believe that Brian disappeared due to being murdered by Clint, dealing drugs, and going into some type of witness protection program... that last one's really stretching it, IMO. One of the three theories I think is possible is that Brian willingly disappeared because he wanted to live a different kind of life than the one he was living. jmo

Yeah I don't believe any of those theories either. The drugs thing gets thrown around like crazy in pretty much every single disappearance where there is little evidence, even when there is absolutely zero evidence of the person consuming drugs or being involved in drugs in any way at all. Misuse of pharmaceutical or prescription drugs maybe I'd think would be more possible for someone from Brian's background but even then I doubt it. From what we know about Brian he seemed to be a pretty square guy and there is no evidence that he was struggling financially either.

Well from what I've seen he seemed to be pretty in love with Alexis. It was even discovered that his password was "alexislovemarry". If Brian was gay then the poor guy was really over compensating. Perhaps he was bisexual though. I could totally believe Clint being in love with Brian, though Clint is now married to a woman.

Do we know how close Brian and Clint were? It's interesting that it was said he perhaps didn't get on that well with Meredith or that she was more closely acquainted with Clint than him but what about Clint himself? Were they good friends/bros for years before this? Was Clint just a friend of a friend? You'd think they would probably be pretty good friends because it seems strange he'd go for a night on the town with 2 people he was just meh about in terms of friendship.

Do we know how close Brian and Clint were? It's interesting that it was said he perhaps didn't get on that well with Meredith or that she was more closely acquainted with Clint than him but what about Clint himself? Were they good friends/bros for years before this? Was Clint just a friend of a friend? You'd think they would probably be pretty good friends because it seems strange he'd go for a night on the town with 2 people he was just meh about in terms of friendship.

I know they were former roommates and I *believe* in the same cohort in med school, but am not clear on where they met.

Matthew, maybe you can remember this with me, but I know at one point it was said in this forum that Clint asked for immunity if he talked and police did not agree. I don't remember if I ever saw this verified by police or news articles though. Do you? If he really did ask for immunity, that implies to me that he had some part in something that he recognized could get him into legal trouble. But I would want to find out if that is credible before presuming that.

I find the theory of Clint and Brian having a romantic relationship totally preposterous. There is absolutely nothing indicating that, and I think it's a stretch. Like I mentioned previously... A. Clint know what got Brian killed B. He knows that Brian escaped. It's either A or B. Him getting a lawyer right away and not speaking only reinforces the idea that he knows something. It's kind of hard to believe that a friend would just turn so cold in an instant. I am more inclined to believe that he knows something vital.

Agree 100%.

What would be a good reason for Clint not to take a polygraph? If you don't take a polygraph, isn't that beyond a reasonable doubt that you are hiding something?

Satch

A powerful and thought-provoking article about missing and murdered college students in the Midwest:

Brian is mentioned here. Taken from this website:

http://vanceholmes.com/court/trial_missing.html

Use the "Find" command in your web browser, type Brian's name and an article comes up about him

Serial Killer or Serial Coincidence?
(Snipped from the above website)

Wishing to distance myself from crazy conspiracy theories, I am compelled to point out that the rash of Midwestern, male, college student serial killings or serial accidents -- or whatever it was -- has largely disappeared. While from time to time, there are news articles about a student partying with friends who goes missing and later turns up dead in a nearby river, the headlines are no longer routinely filled with such stories.

The unusually high number of wintertime, missing student "drowning" incidents stopped sometime around 2008. That was also . . . coincidentally . . . the year the FBI finally looked into the matter. The federal investigation found no evidence "substantiating the theory that these deaths are the work of a serial killer or killers."

Of course, a conspiracy theorist could say the fact that it suddenly stopped happening in 2008 proves that something WAS happening before then. The question is: What was "it" that was happening? The question was not a crazy one when first asked on this website in 2002 and it's not crazy today. I don't know that any of the cases detailed on these pages have anything to do with a serial killer. I know something was definitely happening. I know the number of nearly identical incidents was simply too high to be explained away as mere happenstance.

A Conspiracy in Context

Looking back on the (admittedly hysterical-sounding) question – Serial Killer or Serial Coincidence? – it seems important to define the different groups of included cases and the originally observed Missing/Drowned Student Mystery commonalities or profile points.

There are (at least) three sets of cases.

There was the group of missing/drowned male student incidents in Minnesota and neighboring states (along highway I-94) that happened in the winters between 2001 and 2006. There was also a 10-year string of similar cases in the La Crosse, WI area dating back to 1997. A third category includes a much wider set of missing/drowned student incidents -- mainly from the upper Mid-West, but also New York and other states -- that are thought of by some as potentially part of the "Smiley Face Murders."

While clearly not all of the dozens and dozens of mysterious deaths were caused by some nefarious ring of serial killers, certain facts and patterns have emerged over the years that show some of the student deaths were, in fact, homicides -- and some, possibly related.

Commonalities:

Male college students, Mainly White, between the ages of 17-27

1.) Good-looking, good-natured, well-known and well-liked

2.) No history of alcohol or drug abuse; No history of erratic behavior or unexplained absences

3.) Tend to be high-achieving, academic stand-outs

4.) Tend to be gifted athletes (or notably skilled in some other area)

5.) All disappeared at night -- always between the months of September and April

6.) All last seen drinking at a local bar with friends, or at a party

7.) Somehow become separated from friends, often in an area very close to home

8.) All immediately reported missing by classmates, friends and family -- who immediately sense something is wrong

9.) Student remains missing for weeks, sometimes months - yet his phone, wallet, baseball cap or other personal items are often found in unexpected places

10.) When recovered from a nearby river or lake, the victim's body has no signs of a shooting, stabbing, beating, or any other obvious mechanism of death; Authorities find no signs of foul play (NSOFP)

11.) Closed cases were determined to be accidental drownings -- often based solely on the fact that the remains were finally found in a waterway

12.) Many of the (presumed) drowning victims' remains were eventually located in the same general area where the student first went missing -- often in a place previously searched by divers who found nothing

13.) An undercurrent of suspicion runs through the story. There are too many odd occurrences -- too many mysteries. Too many missing pieces. The character of the student doesn't fit the plot.

Satch

Brian's case talked about on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...6/the_bizarre_disappearance_of_brian_shaffer/

Satch

PS. This one comment stuck out to me:

"Upon randomly perusing the internet, I think that Brian left through a service/employee exit not on tape. I think he left with someone who worked in the bar in some capacity, possibly one of the band members. I think he knew this person, and the person he went with did not plan on murdering Brian. I think they went to a second location, and there was an argument over drugs/money, things got heated and Brian was killed in the argument. They dump his body somewhere. This would would explain why Clint (his friend) clammed up,lawyered up, and refused to take a polygraph. I do not think he is involved but that he knows something about it. And if he told everything it could have raised questions that could have hurt his or Brians future careers. He would have had no way of knowing at the time that Brian wasn't coming back.I think do not think Clint was directly involved though. I do not think that Brian was a hard core drug addict, rather he used them recreationally and to party sometimes. Remember Spring break was just beginning for him.JMO."

Brian's case talked about on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...6/the_bizarre_disappearance_of_brian_shaffer/

Satch

PS. This one comment stuck out to me:

"Upon randomly perusing the internet, I think that Brian left through a service/employee exit not on tape. I think he left with someone who worked in the bar in some capacity, possibly one of the band members. I think he knew this person, and the person he went with did not plan on murdering Brian. I think they went to a second location, and there was an argument over drugs/money, things got heated and Brian was killed in the argument. They dump his body somewhere. This would would explain why Clint (his friend) clammed up,lawyered up, and refused to take a polygraph. I do not think he is involved but that he knows something about it. And if he told everything it could have raised questions that could have hurt his or Brians future careers. He would have had no way of knowing at the time that Brian wasn't coming back.I think do not think Clint was directly involved though. I do not think that Brian was a hard core drug addict, rather he used them recreationally and to party sometimes. Remember Spring break was just beginning for him.JMO."
This has been my strongest theory for awhile now. Though I think he went to that second location and overdosed accidentally rather than being murdered. I believe that could have lead to a cover-up and disposing of his body. If he was partying with other med students, that could have ruined the futures of all those involved. Clint knew this too and didn't speak about it and lawyered up

Matthew, maybe you can remember this with me, but I know at one point it was said in this forum that Clint asked for immunity if he talked and police did not agree. I don't remember if I ever saw this verified by police or news articles though. Do you? If he really did ask for immunity, that implies to me that he had some part in something that he recognized could get him into legal trouble. But I would want to find out if that is credible before presuming that.

I remember seeing this as well, and can't say for sure if it came from an actual news source. This leads me to believe that drugs were somehow involved. I wish the police did grant him immunity just so he could talk and maybe lead them somewhere

Hey guys,

First time posting but I wanted to share my thoughts on this case since I lived in the OSU campus area at the same time and worked there. I've also been to Ugly Tuna and the Gateway Film Center theater across from it dozens of times and know the area pretty well. I remember at that time and for several years they were doing construction there and at several places within a few blocks. My theory is that Brian was secretly selling prescription drugs-- he wanted to stay out of sight and slipped out through the construction area in the back to meet a buyer and got killed. Unfortunately drugs like Oxy, Adderall, etc are very common around campus and he either was caught selling on some other dealer's territory or robbed(and subsequently killed) for his stash.

If you head north on High Street there are wooded areas to dump/dispose a body or he could be buried in one of the many open construction sites nearby. More than likely he will never be found though as 10+ years have gone by.

Such a sad story, so much wasted potential.
I can see Brian trying drugs, but I can't see him being a dealer. Wouldn't his apartment have some? Did phone records show he was talking to anyone suspicious about a drug deal? Or his computer? I saw an interview with the head officer John Hurst on the 10 year anniversary, and he said that every field, wooded area and trail along the river was searched with no results. Not to say they couldn't have missed something but I assume they'd be pretty thorough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader