OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was re-reading some articles about Brian again last night. Below are a few paragraphs I copied from the article "Is Brian Shaffer Alive" from the Campus newspaper in April 2009.

"In an e-mail last week, Florence said: "While I appreciate any effort in trying to determine what happened to Brain [sic] that night, I must decline your request. ANY and ALL questions you have for me should be directed to my attorney, Neil Rosenberg."

Florence, 32, works for the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Vanderbilt University Medical School, where he is a postdoctoral fellow, according to a Vanderbilt Web site.

Corbett said he doesn't know which detective Rosenberg was referring to in the e-mail. However, he believes it is one of three men at Columbus Police: detective Andre Edwards of the Physical Child Abuse Section, Sgt. John Hurst of the Physical Abuse Section and Deputy Chief Antone Lanata of the Investigative Subdivision.

All three did not respond to repeated requests last week for an interview about whether they told Rosenberg they believe Shaffer is still alive.

Rosenberg also said in his e-mail to Corbett that, "The only burning issue with the authorities remains Clint's refusal to be polygraphed. That decision was based on my recommendation and advise [sic] to Clint, not because he is, has been misleading or has something to hide, but that he simply has nothing new to tell and was totally up front and honest with them from the beginning. As far as Clint is concerned, this matter is closed."

Bold by me..I know we've read this article before, but that last sentence just makes my blood boil.

How can a matter be closed if one of your best friends disappears into thin air one night? What, did Clint just wake up a few days later and realize Brian was really gone and think that's it..I don't know what happened to him..case closed? How can he NOT be still searching or involved or even seem to care what happened??? My only guess is he knows what happened and will take it to his grave with him.

http://www.thelantern.com/2.1345/is-brian-shaffer-alive-1.72008

The way i see it ,that was it for Clint, once the police started asking questions, according to brian's brother derrick that is when Clint just walked away and got a lawyer.Is that a sign of guilt?I believe he knows something or he would have been more cooperative.

Yes, indeed. If he didn't know things, he would have taken the polygraph and stayed involved with the family's search for his friend.

Why did Brian suspect Clint has arranged to have him assaulted at a party?

Why wouldn't a person whom the missing individual suspected arranged such an assault vault to the "person of interest" level?

I'm recycling my old post to show why someone who was supposed to be a friend would refuse a polygraph (even just to eliminate himself so that LE and Brian's family could look elsewhere. People don't take polys because they have "something new to tell." The time to tell "something new" is IMMEDIATELY.

LE would have to ask about Brian's rumored suspicion that Clint arranged to have Brian assaulted.

I would love to have confirmation of this suspicion on Brian's part. Anyone on this board who could confirm that Brian was assaulted, when that happened, happened--if it did happen--and who did it? Perhaps "why" would follow after that.

Its a great question, it would certainly confirm that Clint had it out for Brian at one time or another, IF he was the one who planned the assault, IF the assault happened.

I just doubt this bit of info... I had talked with some people close to the situation and specifically about Clint, and this was never brought up. Clint was always kind of a "wreck-less" figure, who seemed to be not so caring at times, but I never heard this kind of assault levied against him.

So sad - I'm from Columbus, and I never thought it would drag on so long.

I've been to the bar where he disappeared - I do wonder, have they ever extended the search east? From what I've read, they seem to focus west, back towards the Olentangy River and the campus area. There's a rough section of town directly behind the gateway, once you get past student housing. I'm curious if they ever expanded the search east, beyond the campus limits.

It would be nice to hear from somebody that was at the bar the night he disappeared . i haven't read a single comment on any message/comments following any article or forum on Brian.the only thing i see in the video was a girl coming up the escalator and walking behind Brian and then he turned and walked back to the bar. they didn't acknowledge each other, so maybe it was nothing.also i wonder why the police only released only part of the video?

A reward of up to $25,500 is currently been offered for information leading to the whereabouts of Brian R. Shaffer. If you, or someone you know, have any information that could be helpful in our search for Brian, please call toll free at 1-877-645-8477 or click here to leave a tip. Either way will allow you to REMAIN ANONYMOUS.

http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/latestnews.htm

I would love for this case to get coverage on the Investigation Discovery channel.

Alright...Here's my Opinion on this case for what ever it's worth...

Either one of a couple things happened:

1.) He did leave the bar via the front stairs by the escalator and for some reason the security camera's didn't catch him, may be because of the crowd leaving the bar at the time was great enough that he was in that crowd but couldn't be possitivly identified by the video.

2.) He left via the back door and the camera that was suppose to activate if the door was opened, (as they say was suppose to be the case), didn't activate/malfunctioned and no one ever knew it didn't activate/malfunction and because of this they dismissed the possibility of him leaving out the back door.

3.) He left via the construction route.

You wouldn't think that Robbery would have been a motive because he didn't have any cash on him, or not enough to entice a Robbery.

I believe one of about four different scenerios probably happened:

1.) I think that possiably someone wanted to fight him that night for what ever reason...may be due to the girls he was seen talking to on the video...Brian tried to get out of there to avoid the fight/perpetrators...he went out through the construction area but was inadvertantly seen leaving by the perpetrators who then followed him into the construction area where they would have had pleanty of oportunity to do what they wanted to him with out anyone seeing.

2.) He left the bar with or without someone and wasn't caught on the video camera for what ever reason and something happened to him.

3.) He died in the bar, was discovered at closing and because of liablilty to the bar and or the people who may have served him alcohol that night, his body was removed from the bar by workers and disposed of.

4.) He left with the band after the bar closed, wasn't caught on video camera for what ever reason, and something happened to him...may be he went to an "After the bars close party" with the bar staff and or the band and something happened to him.

I seriously doubt that he was taken by a serial killer as some have speculated...this is really such a long shot....the above noted sceneros make a lot more sence.

Just my theory.

Nicely summarized, that covers nearly all possibilities. I favor number 1 or 3 since there is no evidence that he ever left the bar alive. My question is that most of these scenerios likely involve more than one person. It is hard to believe that no one has cracked and told someone. Also, if he was carried from the bar and dumped somewhere it must have ben a remote spot or he was buried or he would have been found.

You raise an interesting issue, that much of the mystery in this case involves our deep belief in technology--that because there was a camera, if Brian isn't seen on it he wasn't there. Was Clint seen leaving on camera? How about others that they had spoken to? Maybe we are asking the wrong question.

I do not believe he died in the bar and then was carried out.

This area by Ohio State is so concentrated with students at all hours. The freshman dorms are only 1-2 blocks from the bar and this is one of the busiest areas of High Street.

This is also a very dangerous area if you were by yourself.

I feel he somehow left the bar through the back and is somewhere back in that construction area. I know they say it was searched but I suppose it could have been missed.

I was up there this weekend and thought of Brian. There is a cemetary at Lane and Olentangy, fairly large one. Is it possible to put someone in a new grave and it not be discovered?

I know these thoughts are grasping at straws, sorry but wanted to put that out there.

I do not believe he died in the bar and then was carried out.

This area by Ohio State is so concentrated with students at all hours. The freshman dorms are only 1-2 blocks from the bar and this is one of the busiest areas of High Street.

This is also a very dangerous area if you were by yourself.

I feel he somehow left the bar through the back and is somewhere back in that construction area. I know they say it was searched but I suppose it could have been missed.

I was up there this weekend and thought of Brian. There is a cemetary at Lane and Olentangy, fairly large one. Is it possible to put someone in a new grave and it not be discovered?

I know these thoughts are grasping at straws, sorry but wanted to put that out there.

Is it dangerous even during the day walking around by yourself?

Bumping for Brian whose 32nd birthday came and went last week (2-11-11).

Is it dangerous even during the day walking around by yourself?
jmo -Just like anywhere else, don't walk down the alleys by yourself. Also, I think more happens at night. A lot more...
tr3.gif

Thinking of Brian and hoping his "friends" will speak up about what they know.

Thinking of Brian and hoping his "friends" will speak up about what they know.

I agree...I also wish the show "Disappeared" would do an episode on him. They will soon be filming for their fourth season so maybe he will be included this time. I've been to their website several times to try to recommend Brian for an episode, but can't find a way to contact them with suggestions.

In about 2-1/2 weeks, it will be five years since he went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper