OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen it in the media and if that's the case, it would be against TOS here, right?

Anyone know the identity of the OSU professor who was hosting Clint and Meredith the night Brian went missing, and whose home was - according to investigator Don Corbett - subsequently processed by CPD as a potential crime scene? In other words, was the professor's name ever 'out there', his/her identity public?
I honestly don't recall. Would have to go back and do some digging, but not sure the name was ever released.

How to find a comment that is quoted in a later comment? When someone quotes another member, the quote has no link. It's hard to search for it when there are so many pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember reading about the role of a professor in this case. Could someone please provide a link to the part? I only remember Clint was someone of interest. Thanks.

I don't remember reading about the role of a professor in this case. Could someone please provide a link to the part? I only remember Clint was someone of interest. Thanks.

As far as I know, the mystery OSU professor was simply hosting Clint Florence and Meredith Reed in his/her home, which home was, according to investigator Don Corbett, processed as a potential crime scene by CPD. If you, like Tom Waggoner and others, are of a mind that Clint and/or Meredith had some knowledge of or perhaps even involvement in Brian's disappearance the morning of 4/1/06, well then who knows where that might lead.

As far as I know, the address of the home and identity of the professor, while obviously known to insiders like Corbett, has never publicly surfaced. I'm interested to know if anyone knows if the identity of the professor ever surfaced publicly, similar to, say, the way the identities of Brightan Zatko and Amber Ruic surfaced.

Why do you abandon that? To be honest, that is the only scenario that logically makes sense. Sure we have no idea, no one really does. But to me, that seems like the one possibility that is impossible to abandon.

Do you think his body is still in the bar? I've followed this case from the first breaking news story. I'm interested in others' opinions. TIA

04/02/10
Brian Shaffer Case Enters Year No. 4
attachment.php

I wonder what was meant by, "beat him like that." Beat him like what?? That's odd. Maybe he's referring to something that was said previously??

I made an account to talk about this case. I live maybe 2 miles from the Ugly Tuna and the Gateway area. It was my roommate's favorite bar for a couple years. I have a couple of things to add that I haven't seen mentioned in the two previous threads. Every weekend that I've ever been to this bar, there are uniformed police at the top of the escalators. I have been to Ugly Tuna probably 12 times in the last two years. In the Surveillance Footage from that night, the "security guards" people keep mentioning are 100% uniformed Columbus Police Department Officers. That is the uniform of the CPD, so they aren't "security guards" they are actual police officers. I also find it hard to believe that with the police officers so close to the top of the escalator that they would not notice Brian sneak into the construction zone just mere feet from them, which leads me to believe he returned to the bar. The old construction zone was straight ahead of the escalator, and the bar entrance is to the right. The police as essentially standing at the top of the escalator looking towards the bar as people arrive at the top. They would have seen the entire upper landing, so no one could have gone into the construction zone without them noticing.

Secondly, Clint Florence. I know there is a ton of speculation about him and his role in all of this, but I believe it is most simply summed up with the following: after Brian's mother's death, Brian and Clint may have gotten involved in taking prescription drugs from the hospital or medical facilities they were studying/interning at. Brian could have been taking them to deal with his grief, or was just in a dark place and got a rush from selling or taking these kinds of drugs. Clint could have been involved directly, or just didn't want to ruin his friend's reputation, and so he withheld that information. I also believe that Clint would have been expelled from the medical program if this had come to light, and therefore had asked for immunity from legal trouble from the school and the police.

I learned about this case recently, but I'm so familiar with the area that I find it absolutely fascinating. One more thought on my first post is that back in 2006 that area was really rough. There was a very well known gang that operated in this area called the Short North Posse (Ugly Tuna is on the very north end of what I'd consider 'The Short North'). In 2006, ten of them were arrested on a variety of charges. many more were just arrested and convicted in January and May of 2017. There was a large block of forty that were convicted in 1995. As I said, it was the most well known gang downtown and they were involved in all kinds of crime, including many many murders. Here is an article with information on them: The Short North Posse's last stand

If anyone has specific questions about the area or The Ugly Tuna bar as it is today I can try to help.

Has it been confirmed that prescription drugs were being stolen and taken at all?? Or is that a theory of yours?

Except that at 1:55AM the police officers are standing right at the top of the stairs, as seen in the video clip I snipped. If they were there at 1:55AM it suggests to me that they were there to ensure everyone left successfully with no altercations when the bar closed at 2:00AM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but IMOO, alcohol can be served up until 2, and bars don't actually close until 2:30 in Ohio.

I have another idea about what may have happened that night. Let's assume that the police officers were indeed supervising the area at 02:00 and some minutes later without missing anything or noticing unusual movements towards the chain locked staff exit. Could it be possible that Brian remained unconscious the whole night inside the bar accidentally even after closing time? After all we have heard cases were people were accidentally locked in buildings even if they had security staff.

Ok we all know that employees check the staff areas before leaving. But it is always possible to forget to check every area, or simply bored to thoroughly check, assuming that every customer has left. Scrappy checks are always possible especially if you are tired from work. Brian could have passed out in the restrooms or another area of the bar that was not well checked. He may died from asphyxiation after aspirating his own vomit. Next day one or more responsible persons from the bar come early for preparations and noticed the dead man. They realize they are responsible for what happened and might face criminal charges due to negligence. So they decide to move secretly the body in a bag from the staff exit, then into a vehicle and bury it far from the area.

Another scenario. Brian is left unconscious in the bar after closing time. A cleaner is coming sometime until the morning hours and finds him unconscious or almost unconscious. He is a poor and freaky cleaner prone to criminal actions if opportunity arises. He tries to rob him taking advantage of Brian's inability to respond effectively due to his intoxication. During the fight he kills Brian suffocating him, thus leaving no blood stains which could be found by police experts. Then he puts the body into a trash bag and with the help of his working trolley he loads it in his vehicle. He left through the notorious staff exit where no cameras were monitoring. Finally he buries the body far away in the woods.

I've read articles about police investigators checking the cameras and see every person leaving at closing time except Brian. But what about the hours after the closing? What about the next day? Are there any people working at the same building even after the closing of Ugly Tuna? And what were their movements that night? Don't forget that Brian's disappearance was reported on Monday, so there was plenty of time for these scenarios to unfold.

I also find plausible the scenario of Brian leaving after closing time with an employee through staff exit and after that sth bad happened to him. But somehow we must assume that Brian soon entered this person's vehicle because we need to explain also the fact that Brian was not seen in other cameras out of Ugly Tuna.

Given Brian's height, and given the difficulty of moving any dead weight, I think it's unlikely that he was suffocated or strangled) which take effort also and moved.

614Buckeye said:
Every weekend that I've ever been to this bar, there are uniformed police at the top of the escalators. I have been to Ugly Tuna probably 12 times in the last two years. In the Surveillance Footage from that night, the "security guards" people keep mentioning are 100% uniformed Columbus Police Department Officers. That is the uniform of the CPD, so they aren't "security guards" they are actual police officers

But we don't know whether it was because of that incident that they began to guard the bar with police officers for more safety, or it was police officers when the incident occurred.

I think there is zero possibility that Brian was stealing drugs from some medical facility that was part of his training.

Hi, new member here!

Has nobody else noticed that the last login on Brian's Myspace account (linked to by Kaie on the previous page) was April 12 2006, 11 days after he went missing?

I wonder what was meant by, "beat him like that." Beat him like what?? That's odd. Maybe he's referring to something that was said previously??
Agree, had forgotten about that link and now curious as to what was meant!
"If I don't see him again, that's OK," said Derek Shaffer. "But just to hear from him (and know) everything's OK; it just makes me sick to my stomach to this day that someone could have possibly hurt him, or beat him like that."

How to find a comment that is quoted in a later comment? When someone quotes another member, the quote has no link. It's hard to search for it when there are so many pages.

I just found out! There is a tiny up arrow to the right of the author's name being quoted, which is a hyperlink to the quoted comment! Whoever designed the format seemed to want it unnoticed. :(

Does anyone know if his computer was kept or returned to the family? So much can be recovered now, in terms of a digital trail.

I can't shake off this quote...there numerous manners of death possible. I'm curious if LE might have shared a possible scenario at some point in time. It's just strange, IMO, to go to beating...even more so when there's no blood evidence??

This link has nothing to do with Brian's case, but found the cadaver dog information in the article interesting, fwiw.
A cadaver dog indicates possible human decomposition inside a barn on Timber Lane in Hunlock Township on Aug. 20, 2016. (Submitted picture) - - Aimee Dilger|Times Leader
Family believes Phylicia Thomas’ remains are on Hunlock Township property | Times Leader
"Wooters said a cadaver dog can indicate human decomposition within 20 to 25 feet of where human remains are buried. He noted that over time, odor from human decomposition of buried remains can spread underground dependent upon the soil and weather conditions such as rain and snow melt."

"John Ackerman, a Westmoreland County deputy coroner and a cadaver dog handler, and Dr. Nicholas Passalacqua, a forensic anthropology professor at Western Carolina University in North Carolina, explained well-trained cadaver dogs can detect human decomposition years after a body has been moved or buried.

Ackerman explained that body fluids and tissue are similar to gasoline in that the odor does not easily dissipate over time. Passalacqua said cadaver dogs — when making an indication — are hitting on a cocktail of chemicals in body fluids.

A well-trained cadaver dog is able to detect human decomposition that is 100 years old, Ackerman and Passalacqua explained."

The 2nd Annual Brian Shaffer March for the Missing is coming up in Columbus OH on Sat 13 April starting at midday. You can find the event page for it on Facebook by doing a search for the string of words that I put into bold above (just cut from here, and then paste into FB search). Any other details, including directions to the event, would be available through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper