OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new episode of Comeback is now up. It’s called Comeback: Special Edition. Nick and I discuss The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing with Lori Davis, as well as what we have learned so far after the first 2 episodes. And for a special treat Sergeant John Hurst finally released the band name and it is on this episode. Hope you guys are enjoying the podcast and if you wanna discuss the case with us or have any questions for us you can join the discussion on our Facebook group page. Here is a link to the podcast. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...cial-edition-24b00f90dd1700f333f1ee8f1a4eedd1

Is it available on youtube?

The fact he was the only guy in that bar to go out another entrance.
The fact that Clint and Meredith couldn't find Brian minutes after he left.
The fact that Brian never answered his phone.
The fact that Brian stumbled into or purposely went into the construction area.
The fact he somehow got by the 2 police officers.
The fact that he wasn't seen on any camera despite everyone else being accounted for.

All of it was just a weird coincidence that adds up to zero if he was killed by a stranger walking to say Wendy's.

Doesn’t this seem like WAY too much of a coincidence, though?? All these strange things happen at Ugly Tuna, and he goes to the trouble of navigating the construction site, and then for reasons completely unrelated, by a stroke of extremely bad fortune, someone does him harm?

I still think whatever the actual explanation is for what happened that night will ultimately connect his likely venture into the construction area with his reason for disappearing.

I know I’ve been a proponent of the hidden accident theory, but here is another theory that connects all of these events in one package (and includes the new information re: Wendy’s).

Perhaps Brian went to meet someone in the construction area as a place to conduct some illegal business (drug related perhaps?). Maybe he had meetings like this in the past without incident. If he knew of a way to get in, then it would make for a place that is private and has no cameras.

Let’s suppose this meeting did not go well on this particular day, for whatever reason. Whatever person/people he meets with decide to do him harm as a result, so they march him out the side door into a waiting car at Wendy’s. They unfortunately harm Brian and hide the body somewhere out of town / extremely well. This would explain the scent stopping abruptly at Wendy’s.

What if Clint knew the purpose of this meeting but didn’t tell police because he is involved in some way? This would explain why he has declined the polygraph.

This theory might also explain why some reports claim Clint waited for Brian to show up at his apartment for 6 hours the following day. Maybe he was waiting on something Brian was supposed to have, and/or feared something went very wrong.

There are other aspects of the case that fit with this theory:
-It would make sense why Brian and Clint chose to return to ugly tuna at the end of the night (in order to conduct this “business”).
-It would help explain why Clint left the bar without Brian so quickly (maybe he knew something might have gone wrong and wanted to get out of there ASAP).
-Clint could have made up the fact that Brian went to talk to the band since he did not want to reveal Brian’s true intention—so Brian never actually talked to the band (explaining why they have no memory of talking to him).
-It could explain why Brian’s phone immediately started going to VM (these bad people could have turned it off to ensure it wouldn’t be tracked—maybe this could even explain it ringing months later if they kept it for some reason and turned it on?

The more I think about this theory, the more it really does seem to fit well with the other details of the case.....

Would love to hear others’ thoughts....

I went on google maps and the closest Wendy’s is about .7 or .8 miles away. I know they said it was right next to the Tuna then and is still there. So Is that distance considered to be right next door? Just trying to gain some perspective, TIA.

Doesn’t this seem like WAY too much of a coincidence, though?? All these strange things happen at Ugly Tuna, and he goes to the trouble of navigating the construction site, and then for reasons completely unrelated, by a stroke of extremely bad fortune, someone does him harm?

I still think whatever the actual explanation is for what happened that night will ultimately connect his likely venture into the construction area with his reason for disappearing.

I know I’ve been a proponent of the hidden accident theory, but here is another theory that connects all of these events in one package (and includes the new information re: Wendy’s).

Perhaps Brian went to meet someone in the construction area as a place to conduct some illegal business (drug related perhaps?). Maybe he had meetings like this in the past without incident. If he knew of a way to get in, then it would make for a place that is private and has no cameras.

Let’s suppose this meeting did not go well on this particular day, for whatever reason. Whatever person/people he meets with decide to do him harm as a result, so they march him out the side door into a waiting car at Wendy’s. They unfortunately harm Brian and hide the body somewhere out of town / extremely well. This would explain the scent stopping abruptly at Wendy’s.

What if Clint knew the purpose of this meeting but didn’t tell police because he is involved in some way? This would explain why he has declined the polygraph.

This theory might also explain why some reports claim Clint waited for Brian to show up at his apartment for 6 hours the following day. Maybe he was waiting on something Brian was supposed to have, and/or feared something went very wrong.

There are other aspects of the case that fit with this theory:
-It would make sense why Brian and Clint chose to return to ugly tuna at the end of the night (in order to conduct this “business”).
-It would help explain why Clint left the bar without Brian so quickly (maybe he knew something might have gone wrong and wanted to get out of there ASAP).
-Clint could have made up the fact that Brian went to talk to the band since he did not want to reveal Brian’s true intention—so Brian never actually talked to the band (explaining why they have no memory of talking to him).
-It could explain why Brian’s phone immediately started going to VM (these bad people could have turned it off to ensure it wouldn’t be tracked—maybe this could even explain it ringing months later if they kept it for some reason and turned it on?

The more I think about this theory, the more it really does seem to fit well with the other details of the case.....

Would love to hear others’ thoughts....

You could def be on to something although it has been said that Brian wasn't into drugs or at least in the way you are presenting it. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be true though.

I read that Clint claimed to have gone to Brian's house the next day and sat in his car for 6 hours not inside his apartment. On the whole this may seem odd yes , but at he same time if Brian was not answering his phone if Clint knew nothing about where Brian was I'm betting he was slightly worried and maybe a little mad. He may have also thought Brian was mad at him and that's why he never answered his phone.

Clint called Brian's phone within minutes of last seeing him leave to go talk to the band. I don't think that soon of a time Brian would already be in the kind of trouble which would make him not able to answer his phone. It would take some time to back track from walking towards the band and going to the freight elevator and into the construction area. I think Brian chose to not answer.

I also have to wonder at what point Brian's phone lost a signal. I don't think it likely that he would have any signal in the construction area. I know that I lose a connection on my phone at certain areas of my mall. I'm pretty sure Brian had a flip phone with no GPS.

If Brian was going to meet someone at Wendy's parking lot then the trip to the CA makes no sense to me. It's better explained that he got lost while coming off the elevator.

Also, if he was going to make a drug deal it would make much more sense to do it in a bathroom stall. Back in my day I've walked in on many a deal right out in the open and no one bats an eye.

I like how Det Hurst ends the story about the dogs and the construction area. After all is said and done he ended it with, of course this is all speculation we don't know for sure that's what happened. So after all this we are back to square one.

I went on google maps and the closest Wendy’s is about .7 or .8 miles away. I know they said it was right next to the Tuna then and is still there. So Is that distance considered to be right next door? Just trying to gain some perspective, TIA.

Yes I noticed the same thing. I think there are 3 of them in that general area. The closest one did not seem to be that close.

There is a Wendy’s corporate office / taste testing lab (Wendy’s 90 degrees lab) right next door. Wasn’t sure if this is perhaps what they were referring to, although it looks like it was only opened in 2015? Maybe it was a regular Wendy’s in the area before that? I honestly can’t remember if there was a Wendy’s in that area previously. Agree that clarification would be helpful.

The manin the B&W photos has a very pronounced arch to his eyebrow ridges; Brian's eyebrow ridges have only a slight curve. The man in the B&W photos can be ruled out based on that feature

IF this works, it should load a picture called "A guy walks into a bar - and is never see...." (seen again?)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bria...UICygC&biw=1252&bih=600#imgrc=HLbvmLLhMydz6M:

Anyway, he is making "muscles" in this picture and it looks like he has arched one eyebrow with the effort, and it does not look like the eyebrows in the b&w photos. The b&w's seem very curved, and that eyebrow in the muscle picture seems to have sort of a slope upwards from the inside over to the top of the arch. IMO

I have never seen (noticed) this missing person that I can recall, but it sure is interesting. And peculiar.

Sure wish podcasts had captioning, I can't understand what is being said. :(

I agree about the comments regarding Brian wanting to get away from Clint. Could they have argued? Could Brian have said something to the two girls, some conversation that Clint hated? Was Clint PO'ed that Brian and the girls had exchanged phone numbers? I think Brian got the phone numbers from both girls?

The drug deal thing is out there, but not that outlandish. Could Brian and Clint had planned a drug deal as a way to make money to help pay for medical school costs? Could Brian have gotten cold feet at the last minute and chose to evade Clint because he didn't want to participate in the deal at the last minute and knew that Clint would be angry?

Maybe Clint exercised his right not to talk and got a layer, because considering how whatever went down, went down, any conversation about this topic with Clint is going to put him in a bad light, whether he knows something or not, or even is 100% innocent with regard to Brian's disappearance.

Satch

I agree about the comments regarding Brian wanting to get away from Clint. Could they have argued? Could Brian have said something to the two girls, some conversation that Clint hated? Was Clint PO'ed that Brian and the girls had exchanged phone numbers? I think Brian got the phone numbers from both girls?

The drug deal thing is out there, but not that outlandish. Could Brian and Clint had planned a drug deal as a way to make money to help pay for medical school costs? Could Brian have gotten cold feet at the last minute and chose to evade Clint because he didn't want to participate in the deal at the last minute and knew that Clint would be angry?

Maybe Clint exercised his right not to talk and got a layer, because considering how whatever went down, went down, any conversation about this topic with Clint is going to put him in a bad light, whether he knows something or not, or even is 100% innocent with regard to Brian's disappearance.

Satch

I don’t think a botched drug deal (or at least, drug involvement) is that outlandish given the circumstances. We are talking about a man who has disappeared from the face of the planet for 12 years. I think an incident with some very shady people is way more likely of a cause of someone disappearing compared to a friend becoming upset over some girls’ phone numbers.

Obviously it’s only speculation, but IF foul play was involved in Brian’s disappearance, there would have to be some driving factor behind it. And a drug-related incident is one of the more probable causes. I have a hard time believing it could have been a random attack when I try to fit that with the other details of the case.

I don’t think a botched drug deal (or at least, drug involvement) is that outlandish given the circumstances. We are talking about a man who has disappeared from the face of the planet for 12 years. I think an incident with some very shady people is way more likely of a cause of someone disappearing compared to a friend becoming upset over some girls’ phone numbers.

Obviously it’s only speculation, but IF foul play was involved in Brian’s disappearance, there would have to be some driving factor behind it. And a drug-related incident is one of the more probable causes. I have a hard time believing it could have been a random attack when I try to fit that with the other details of the case.

What about an accident on the service elevator or at the construction site?

Satch

Satch

I am definitely on record that I think this is plausible as it would explain both why he wasn’t seen leaving and why he hasn’t been heard from. IMO, these are the two most likely theories (hidden accident OR meeting gone bad with some shady people who caused him harm).

Satch

What type of accident in either the service elevator or the construction site would make him disappear? Maybe think of it in a different way. What if someone was trying their best to hide from the police and had to hide somewhere in that building? What's the chances of them being successful even after they searched the building from top to bottom and used cadaver and scent dog multiple times? I'm not saying it's not possible but IMO not too likely.

So here's something crazy I read last night. This girl goes missing from a store. Instead of going to her car she just walks away. No one has a clue as to where she went. So they brought in a scent dog and when I looked at the map of how this girl was walking all over town it was like she was almost walking in circles. The dog even traced her into another store and back out again. This girl had walked a great distance and the dog followed her every step.

Anyway, turns out the dog was spot on with the entire route she took. They found her cell phone and people remember her walking into a church and the dog was at the church and right near where they ended up finding her cell phone. Sadly they found her body 2 months later about 30 miles away.

Anyway, I amazed at how accurate these dogs can be. I'm not sure what type of dogs they used in Brian's case I mean as far as the breed, I'm sure that can make a difference. If Brian did come out a side door and walked over to a Wendy's to meet someone maybe he go into a car. Pretty sure Det Hurst said that is where they lost the scent.

What type of accident in either the service elevator or the construction site would make him disappear? Maybe think of it in a different way. What if someone was trying their best to hide from the police and had to hide somewhere in that building? What's the chances of them being successful even after they searched the building from top to bottom and used cadaver and scent dog multiple times? I'm not saying it's not possible but IMO not too likely.

So here's something crazy I read last night. This girl goes missing from a store. Instead of going to her car she just walks away. No one has a clue as to where she went. So they brought in a scent dog and when I looked at the map of how this girl was walking all over town it was like she was almost walking in circles. The dog even traced her into another store and back out again. This girl had walked a great distance and the dog followed her every step.

Anyway, turns out the dog was spot on with the entire route she took. They found her cell phone and people remember her walking into a church and the dog was at the church and right near where they ended up finding her cell phone. Sadly they found her body 2 months later about 30 miles away.

Anyway, I amazed at how accurate these dogs can be. I'm not sure what type of dogs they used in Brian's case I mean as far as the breed, I'm sure that can make a difference. If Brian did come out a side door and walked over to a Wendy's to meet someone maybe he go into a car. Pretty sure Det Hurst said that is where they lost the scent.

I agree that with this new information about the dogs leading out the side door, the leading theory in my mind becomes that Brian got out through the construction site and was taken into a car. I also believe that this was unfortunately a foul play situation. I also think it’s very possible that Clint knows some details about it, which explains his resistance to taking a polygraph.

Unfortunately, if this is true, who knows what happened to Brian after that point....and not sure we ever will.... Unless Clint really does know something and decides to talk (but who knows if he does).

I agree that with this new information about the dogs leading out the side door, the leading theory in my mind becomes that Brian got out through the construction site and was taken into a car. I also believe that this was unfortunately a foul play situation. I also think it’s very possible that Clint knows some details about it, which explains his resistance to taking a polygraph.

Unfortunately, if this is true, who knows what happened to Brian after that point....and not sure we ever will.... Unless Clint really does know something and decides to talk (but who knows if he does).

I totally agree. If Clint is holding back on something this important then that is wrong on so many levels. If I was Brian's brother I would have talked to Clint by now and certainly got the answers I wanted assuming he knew anything.

?
With these search and rescue dogs used by LE,

Could they use any materialistic item of Brian's given to LE by his family that has Brian's DNA on it? How would they train the dogs to follow the scent? I haven't heard the new Podcast yet. However, I am very interested in that "side door scent" Why doesn't Detective Hurst think that scent is Brian?

Satch

?

Could they use any materialistic item of Brian's given to LE by his family that has Brian's DNA on it? How would they train the dogs to follow the scent? I haven't heard the new Podcast yet. However, I am very interested in that "side door scent" Why doesn't Detective Hurst think that scent is Brian?

Satch

Wondering if an item belonging to Brian, rather than Brian himself, just his scent- was somehow taken through the side door leading to Wendy's ?

?

Satch

There's lots of evidence that sniffer dogs aren't particularly reliable. Andrew Taslitz, professor of law at the University of Pittsburgh, published a comprehensive analysis of the use of canine evidence in North America in 1990. He concluded that such evidence is imbued with mythical qualities about a dog's abilities and is likely to be overvalued, misunderstood and misused by jurors. Dogs might accurately follow a scent sometimes, but certainly sometimes they do not.

The lead detective has stated that
1) the construction area was at a level below the Saloona
2) the construction area 'was only boarded up by the doorways with chain-lock plywood doors' and 'somebody could of squeezed in or out...'
3) 'the basic indication is that somehow Brian got down into the construction area'

Now, since the bar closed around 30 minutes after Brian was last seen on video, if the detective is right, that would put Brian in the construction area within a matter of minutes of his last being seen alive, and within minutes of the point from which all signs of life - phone use, card use, walking past a cam, using apt, etc., absolutely ceased.

The detective also noted that

4) the construction area was 'completely dug up'
5) the construction area would have been difficult to navigate even by a sober person

To me, this all strongly suggests that Brian's disappearance is linked with his coincident appearance (if the detective is right) in the construction area.

A person disappears without any trace for going on 12 years at the very same time he is believed to have inexplicably entered a dangerous, dug up construction area?! Probably more than just a coincidence, IMO.

Now, the detective also stated that Brian

6) '...most likely got exited out of there (the construction area)'

The detective must believe that not because there was any subsequent sign of life (there was the phone pinging off a cell tower, but Cingular dismissed that "Cingular told police that Brian’s phone had never actually rung, that it was an equipment glitch on the company’s end" http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/news/27915-waiting-brian.html ), but because Brian was not found in the construction area.

But it may well be that Brian's remains are in the construction site and searchers simply failed to locate them.

There's lots of evidence that sniffer dogs aren't particularly reliable. Andrew Taslitz, professor of law at the University of Pittsburgh, published a comprehensive analysis of the use of canine evidence in North America in 1990. He concluded that such evidence is imbued with mythical qualities about a dog's abilities and is likely to be overvalued, misunderstood and misused by jurors. Dogs might accurately follow a scent sometimes, but certainly sometimes they do not.

2) the construction area 'was only boarded up by the doorways with chain-lock plywood doors' and 'somebody could of squeezed in or out...'
3) 'the basic indication is that somehow Brian got down into the construction area'

Now, since the bar closed around 30 minutes after Brian was last seen on video, if the detective is right, that would put Brian in the construction area within a matter of minutes of his last being seen alive, and within minutes of the point from which all signs of life - phone use, card use, walking past a cam, using apt, etc., absolutely ceased.

5) the construction area would have been difficult to navigate even by a sober person

To me, this all strongly suggests that Brian's disappearance is linked with his coincident appearance (if the detective is right) in the construction area.

A person disappears without any trace for going on 12 years at the very same time he is believed to have inexplicably entered a dangerous, dug up construction area?! Probably more than just a coincidence, IMO.

The detective must believe that not because there was any subsequent sign of life (there was the phone pinging off a cell tower, but Cingular dismissed that "Cingular told police that Brian’s phone had never actually rung, that it was an equipment glitch on the company’s end" http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/news/27915-waiting-brian.html ), but because Brian was not found in the construction area.

But it may well be that Brian's remains are in the construction site and searchers simply failed to locate them.

Thanks for the background info about the use of dogs. Anecdotally I feel like there’s been times that dogs have produced incredible results, but there certainly have also been times they’ve been completely wrong. I feel like there was definitely an indication from Det. Hursrt that there were reasons to be somewhat skeptical about the scent they followed out the side door.

It’s interesting that the police have 3 theories, bc IMO there’s two clear front runners for most likely theories:

1. Brian had an accident in the building (likely in the construction area, but possibly elsewhere) which is so well concealed that he may never be found until the building is demolished.

2. Brian met with foul play in the construction zone and was led out the side door into a waiting car, with the foul play being NOT random, but rather someone whom Brian had intentions to meet. +/- Clint maybe hiding something about the purpose of the meeting.

I believe these theories are most likely bc they explain both his disappearance without being seen on camera AND his lack of any trace of existence since, without adding extra assumptions or amazing coincidences. To me, the theory I would consider the front runner depends on how much stock is put into the dogs...

Good post. I'm curious as to why you think he was in the construction area so soon, within minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay