GUILTY OH - Emily Rimel, 5, Columbus, 7 Dec 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Deliberations will continue on Friday...this sucks, he's probably going to get off. DNA on his genitals & 4 inmates who all say he confessed while in jail, he practically confessed when initially questioned by detectives & the jury can't make up its mind. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oh My GOSH I AM SICK!!!!!

The verdict means Bruce will not spend his life in prison, but he will face three to 10 years in prison, Burton reported. Sentencing was scheduled for November.

THREE to TEN years in PRISON!!!???
GUILTY of kidnapping, not of rape...
GUILTY of kidnapping a child... WHO has
never been found...and the MOST they
can give him is 3-10 years!!??????:mad::furious:

He accounts for the DNA on his genitals
thus:furious: :

Bruce testified in court, saying the DNA came from a toilet seat.

"I went in there, urinated and left," Bruce said.

LIKE that is gonna get HER dna THERE....

sorry, y'all,.. I am sure u r as angry as I am.

:( Her poor family.

love,

Ariel:(
:mad:

The only good thing I can think of in all this is that they can still charge him with murder if they are able to ever locate her poor body, or find some other type of evidence.

Was he found not guilty of her rape? Meaning that he can't be charged with that again? :eek:

Hopefully those 3- 10 years will be spent in a cell with a snitch, and one day she will be located.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5012925/detail.html

Man Found Guilty Of Kidnapping Missing Girl
Rimel Missing Since December

POSTED: 3:43 pm EDT September 23, 2005
UPDATED: 7:25 pm EDT September 23, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- After five days of deliberating, the jury has reached a verdict in trial of a man accused of kidnapping and raping a missing girl.

Lindsey Bruce, 24, was found guilty of kidnapping Emily Rimel. He was acquitted on the charge of rape, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

The jury told the judge that it was at an impasse in the trial Tuesday afternoon. The judge instructed the jury to return to the deliberating room and try one more time to reach a unanimous decision. From then until Friday, the jury did not reach a verdict.

The verdict means Bruce will not spend his life in prison, but he will face three to 10 years in prison, Burton reported. Sentencing was scheduled for November.

Officials called the different verdicts a compromise.

"They were able to conclude that he did kidnap her, however, they weren't able to make a determination as to what type of sexual activity that he engaged in with her," said Ron Welch, Assistant Franklin County Prosecutor.

"The only thing I can read into that is potentially that they did not believe the DNA evidence or any of the inmates and we fully intend on appealing this verdict," said David Young, Bruce's attorney.

No Rimel family members were in the courtroom to hear the verdict, Bruce reported.

For the third time, the jury told the judge that it would need to continue deliberating Friday.

Bruce was charged with kidnapping and raping Emily Rimel, who has been missing since December. She was last seen in her Madison Township home on a night when Bruce was visiting.

Rimel's body has not been found and Bruce was not charged with murder. But, he was accused of the rape after her DNA was found on his genitalia.

Bruce testified in court, saying the DNA came from a toilet seat.

"I went in there, urinated and left," Bruce said.

Bruce also said the thought of harming her never crossed his mind and he doesn't know what happened. He also denied telling other inmates at the Franklin County Jail that he raped and killed Rimel.

Because Bruce testified, two FBI agents were allowed to tell jurors what Bruce allegedly said the night he was arrested, Burton reported.

"He wished that he wouldn't have been drinking that night. He wanted to help end this matter, bring it to some conclusion," an agent said.

"(He said) that he had had blackouts," said Curt Collins, FBI agent. "I asked him, 'What was the stupidest thing you had done in your life?' He said, 'You already know that, otherwise I wouldn't be here.'"

Ugh, I know, her DNA jumped off the toilet seat on to his penis when he was taking a wizz. :waitasec: I guess he is well-endowed, or just wants us to think it. But at least not an outright acquittal. He's going away for 3-10 years. Maybe in the meantime they'll find poor Emily's body, & get this sicko for good.

Does anyone know what 3-10 years translates to as far as actual time he may end up serving?

hollyjokers said:
Ugh, I know, her DNA jumped off the toilet seat on to his penis when he was taking a wizz. :waitasec: I guess he is well-endowed, or just wants us to think it. But at least not an outright acquittal. He's going away for 3-10 years. Maybe in the meantime they'll find poor Emily's body, & get this sicko for good.

Does anyone know what 3-10 years translates to as far as actual time he may end up serving?

Not near enough, even if he has to serve the full amt.

The jury couldn't decide what kind of a sex act the creep committed so they didn't convict him for rape. Now that really makes sense for God's sake.

He got her DNA on his privates from the toilet seat...he went in and used the bathroom while he was at her house. First time I've heard of that :loser: :furious:

I always thought that kidnapping carried a long sentence. Guess I was wrong.
I call this an injustice. Just another example of how messed up our judicial system is.

Well, I hope that they find little Emily's body and then they charge this pervert with her murder. I wonder why her family wasn't in court today? I'm sure they had their reasons but they are the ones to represent Emily in the courtroom. You couldn't have kept me away.

Bobbi,
I don't understand this verdict, either. Or why her family was not there. Did they not have enough notice that a verdict had been reached?

SewingDeb said:
Bobbi,
I don't understand this verdict, either. Or why her family was not there. Did they not have enough notice that a verdict had been reached?

I can't believe that he wasn't charged with a sex crime. What kind of nitwits were sitting on that jury? There is only one way a little girl's DNA can get on a man's privates and it is not from a toilet seat!!! That makes about as much sense as getting pregnant off the toilet seat. Sounds like another Michael Jackson jury.

I would think that everyone was given plenty of time to get back to the courtroom before the verdict was read. From what I've seen on CTV the judges are pretty good about giving everyone notice ahead of time...like at Scott Peterson's trial. Everyone knew they would have 2 hrs or something like that from the time the jury made a decision to the time the decision was read.

Maybe the parents just couldn't handle going back. I don't know. I've never heard of the parents not being there. I don't mean to judge these parents at all. I just find it odd.

This is not justice for this sweet, little girl!!! How could the jury justify in their minds that he had DNA on his privates but did not rape her!!! This makes me so mad!! Another scum bag on the streets too soon to harm more kids !

Bobbisangel said:
I can't believe that he wasn't charged with a sex crime. What kind of nitwits were sitting on that jury? There is only one way a little girl's DNA can get on a man's privates and it is not from a toilet seat!!! That makes about as much sense as getting pregnant off the toilet seat. Sounds like another Michael Jackson jury.

I would think that everyone was given plenty of time to get back to the courtroom before the verdict was read. From what I've seen on CTV the judges are pretty good about giving everyone notice ahead of time...like at Scott Peterson's trial. Everyone knew they would have 2 hrs or something like that from the time the jury made a decision to the time the decision was read.

Maybe the parents just couldn't handle going back. I don't know. I've never heard of the parents not being there. I don't mean to judge these parents at all. I just find it odd.

I agree about the DNA. Where is the common sense?

I don't mean to judge the parents, either, but nothing could have kept me away.

Usher737 said:
This is not justice for this sweet, little girl!!! How could the jury justify in their minds that he had DNA on his privates but did not rape her!!! This makes me so mad!! Another scum bag on the streets too soon to harm more kids !

Unless they find her little body he will be out before we even knew that he went in. He will never admit that he murdered that little girl unless they can find her. How can he even stand to be around himself? He was friends with Emily's parents for heaven sake. They let him stay in their home. That screams psycopath to me. No halfway decent person could do something like that to people that they were friends with :furious:

I hope that someone in prison finds out that this guy is a baby raper even if that isn't what he was charged with. It has been a part of this story since Emily went missing. I hope some great big criminal gets hold of this guy and gives him a lot of his own medicine. Maybe two or three big criminals will take turns with him every single night that he is locked up. They could even do worse and it wouldn't phase me one bit.

I'm new to the whole crime forum biz, so I've been looking at other forums. There is a forum which is actively throwing around ideas about who did this and why Bruce is innocent. The pertinent facts that I find really interesting are these:

1. One of the posters claims to be a member of the Rimel family and says that in their opinion Bruce is covering for someone else.
2.That the DNA evidence that they used to match against the DNA found on Bruce was taken from a hair brush that Emily's mother also used, as did some other memebrs and maybe even some friends of the family.
3. The prosecution made a big deal about Bruce coming back in the middle of the night the night Emily went missing. Bruce has been a friend of Emily's mother's boyfriend since school,so he came and went at all hours of the night and day and had done for years.
4. Copley, the boyfriend, changed his story twice about what he'd seen and when he'd seen Bruce leave the apartment. He first said he was asleep and didn't know when Bruse left. Then he says he saw him leave with three black guys early in the morning.
5. Bruce has an alibi in his girlfiend, but won't give her up because he's protecting her privacy.
6.A convicted sex offender promised to get even with the Rimels a few weeks before Emily dissappeared.

My concerns are this. If the person posting on the other forum knows all these things, why don't 'we'? Why aren't we poking into all this and exposing it? Why aren't we sticking up for Emily and doing something to get her justice? Why don't our sources know all this stuff? Surely we aren't victims of always believing what the media says? And as far as LE doing their jobs, I can't count the number fo times I've heard someone saysing thet LE isn't doing all they can?

I don't like the other forum- people are always at each other's throat - but I wondered why this forum, with the sort of people I think 'we' are, is not as active on this case? Can someone with more experience help me to figure out how I can do something about this? Does anyone have any contact with LE in Ohio that could look into some of these points?

I know I may be naive, but you all do so much for so many other families and missing people, can someone help Emily a bit more? She was five years old.

I posted a long post under Emily's missing thread. I think the DNA evidence was somehow misinterpreted by the jury and they thought he was guilty of both, but couldn't get passed reasonable doubt so they compromised on the verdict. There is another forum with an Emily thread which contains details this forum doesn't and there are people who seem very close to the case that say that it is the mother's boyfriend who looks better for it. And as far as the family not being in court for the verdict. I though we weren't supposed to bash family? Everyone deals with grief in different ways. I'm not sure that if it were my daughter's I could be there listening to details I don't want to hear. Especially if I wanted to beleive my girl was still alive.

Well, if he was covering for someone else, let's see him continue to do so in the time he spends in prison. :slap:

If he's protecting someone, I'm sure he won't be so eager to do so once he gets to prison and is the belle of the ball at the Fall Dance.

And I'm sure that they took DNA from Emily's mother and would be able to tell the difference for the DNA from hair strands.

Montanagirl said:
I posted a long post under Emily's missing thread. I think the DNA evidence was somehow misinterpreted by the jury and they thought he was guilty of both, but couldn't get passed reasonable doubt so they compromised on the verdict. There is another forum with an Emily thread which contains details this forum doesn't and there are people who seem very close to the case that say that it is the mother's boyfriend who looks better for it. And as far as the family not being in court for the verdict. I though we weren't supposed to bash family? Everyone deals with grief in different ways. I'm not sure that if it were my daughter's I could be there listening to details I don't want to hear. Especially if I wanted to beleive my girl was still alive.

Sorry Montana Girl. I am afraid I don't consider it bashing. I made no comment, I only posted what was actually written in a media article.

I can only guess the name of the other site but I would imagine it starts with a "C"

The reasoning on that site doesn't make sense to me. If another person can give you a honest alibi why in the world would you not tell LE? If that were me I wouldn't look at it as dragging my girlfriend/boyfriend into the case. The
only way it could do harm to the person giving the alibi is if they lie for you and get caught at it. The truth never harms anyone. If this killer's girlfriend was really with him why isn't she just pounding on the Pros's door to let him know the truth? Would she really stand by silently and let him go to prison?

DNA from a hairbrush? I really doubt that. Not when they can get it from the living mother. I could see LE using hair from a hairbrush if both of Emily's parents were deceased but that isn't the case here.

There are always people who will make excuses for a killer. It happens in most cases. In my opinion the people who made the biggest excuse for this killer was the "jury of his peers." How in the world they came to the conclusion that they did about the rape is just beyond me. Since when does the Pros have to prove how he raped Emily...vaginal...sodemy...etc? When the DNA of the victim is on the accused person's penis that screams rape to me. They bought his "toilet seat" alibi...all 12 of them. It is just beyond belief.

This killer can't be tried again for rape but he can be charged with murder.
I hope LE is still working this case and trying to find little Emily's body. I don't understand why he was only charged with kidnapping. A lot of cases have been tried and won on circumstancial evidence. The jury agreed that he kidnapped Emily. Well if he kidnapped her what did he do with her? He didn't take her back home afterward. Where is she? This case makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm not the Prosecutor and maybe I'm missing something...some reason why they didn't go for murder aside from the fact that if the jury wouldn't have found him guilty of murder they couldn't try him again when Emily's body is found.

We all want justice for Emily. Her parents deserve to know where their little girl is and to bring her home. If someone had threatened Emily's parents I would think they would have given LE that info right at the beginning. All we can do is pray that LE doesn't give up on Emily and that she is found. I hope Emily's parents keep pressure on LE so that they won't let this case grow cold.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper
Back