Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio Boy, 14, Hasn't Been Seen Since He Left for School a Week Ago

This is the not the first time Harley has left home. At the time of his disappearance, Harley’s phone had been taken away by his parents, which may have upset him.

“In the past, when [he and his family] have a conflict in the residence, Harley will go away for the night,” Hickman said, adding that Harley’s parents didn’t worry about not hearing from him until the following day because they had his phone.

Port Clinton police ask residents to check surveillance video in search for missing teen

Port Clinton, Ottawa County area, at night please leave your outside light on so we can get out across to Harley: If you see a light on at a house at night, we don't want you to be scared, we want you to knock on the door and have them call the authorities," Port Clinton Police Chief Robert Hickman said.

He also asked Port Clinton residents to check surveillance video for Harley or anything suspicious.

Someone had suggested he knock on a random door??
This has been discussed in other cases as potentially unsafe. Please go to a business and ask to use the phone.
Contact the police and say you need help working things out with your family or help getting to a relative.

Adding NCMEC:

Harley Dilly

NCMC1377730c1.jpg

Missing Since - Dec 20, 2019
Missing From - Port Clinton, OH
DOB - Aug 12, 2005
Age Now - 14
Sex - Male
Race - White
Hair Color - Brown
Eye Color - Green
Height - 4'9"
Weight - 100 lbs

When Harley was last seen, he was wearing a maroon puffer jacket, grey sweatpants and black tennis shoes. He also wears eyeglasses.

Have you seen this child? HARLEY DILLY

Ohio Boy, 14, Hasn't Been Seen Since He Left for School a Week Ago
At the time of his disappearance, Harley’s phone had been taken away by his parents, which may have upset him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland19.com/2019/12/25/port-clinton-police-share-surveillance-footage-year-old-boy-after-his-dec-disappearance/%3foutputType=amp

“According to Chief Hickman, Dilly has not reached out to anyone, and he broke his phone a week before he went missing.”

The contradictions from hour to hour and day to day are mind boggling.

Don't take your kid's phone away. It isn't an effective means of changing behaviour and doesn't solve root cause.

I hope Harley turns up unharmed.

I don’t know, threatening to take my precious cell phone away and my lifeline to communicate with my friends made sure I did/didn’t do whatever my parents were telling me:p:D “It’s a privilege not a right!” My dad would always say.
Also social media and internet is so easily accessed by phone...so many apps can just be deleted with no trace for the parents of what the kid was getting into...
Just my opinion, I don’t have kids, just have been a kid, so I can’t really say :p I don’t know what his home life was like but I would have to imagine they were at a loss with the troubled teen. I don’t think we can judge their parenting style. I am sure they both wish he had his phone now

Someone had suggested he knock on a random door??
This has been discussed in other cases as potentially unsafe. Please go to a business and ask to use the phone.
Contact the police and say you need help working things out with your family or help getting to a relative.

The police chief suggested that.

Don't take your kid's phone away. It isn't an effective means of changing behaviour and doesn't solve root cause.

Phone (or other device)addiction is real, though (and I'm not judging because I struggle myself.) Sometimes kids beg for devices and yet are miserable after using them, and you just "have" to break that cycle.
I'd love a world without the need for any devices at all. Imagine how much more truly connected people & families might be.

If my parents took away my phone at 14 I would've been superrrrrrrrr insane. Just thinking about that makes me want to go back and slap my 14-year-old self lol I was very annoying. Now, I can't see myself taking away a phone if my child had the habit of running away. I would still want the child to be able to contact me and for myself to be able to contact my child. I would have given the kid one of those old phones, no apps, no fun: here's a phone, call me, text me, that's what it's for.

I cannot imagine at that age regularly going off for a night and the parents seeing it as a usual event. And I cannot imagine taking their lifeline - their phone - away, the only means to get them to come back home. This is not normal in MOO. And its not a good sign.

Phone (or other device)addiction is real, though (and I'm not judging because I struggle myself.) Sometimes kids beg for devices and yet are miserable after using them, and you just "have" to break that cycle.
I'd love a world without the need for any devices at all. Imagine how much more truly connected people & families might be.

Yes, they can cause a lot of problems if the kid is caught up in a dysfunctional/abusive relationship with someone. It can trigger all kinds of psychological problems. Also applies to teens and young adults. That age cohort is vulnerable to developing psych problems from too much abusive communications via texting, social media, etc. A mental health professional told me the first thing they do these days when someone comes in for psych problems, suicide threats, etc. is take their cell phone and lock it away.

I really wish LE had begun looking for this young man sooner.

I cannot imagine at that age regularly going off for a night and the parents seeing it as a usual event. And I cannot imagine taking their lifeline - their phone - away, the only means to get them to come back home. This is not normal in MOO. And its not a good sign.
Teenage years are HARD. Sometimes, parents and children just can't seem to get along during these years. But I can't imagine having a tiny 14-year-old boy spending the night God knows where and the parents just waiting for him to show up. Not casting judgment on anyone, but the streets at night is not place for a 14-year-old kid.

Teenage years are HARD. Sometimes, parents and children just can't seem to get along during these years. But I can't imagine having a tiny 14-year-old boy spending the night God knows where and the parents just waiting for him to show up. Not casting judgment on anyone, but the streets at night is not place for a 14-year-old kid.

When my guys were young/teens we had our tough times, but they never ran away. Actually, we usually ended up with other people's kids coming to our house. I really discouraged it and made sure to contact parents immediately (and sometimes police), but it was amazing how often parents didn't care. Not common, but not unusual. In a few instances, the teens were kicked out and parents didn't want them to come back.

Last edited:

I hope Harley turns up unharmed.

I agree with another poster’s dad, “it’s a privilege, not a right!” I’ve taken away my oldest dd’s phone and would do so again if it’s used inappropriately. Kids don’t NEED phones and it’s not their lifeline. Electronics are ruining the minds of the next generation.

Press Conference - Friday, 3pm, December 27, 2019
  • Press conferences everyday at 3pm until Harley is safely returned home
  • "We recently had flyers put out with Harley's information. These are going out pretty much throughout the United States, I hope."
  • Asking viewers and Ottawa County area, leave outside lights on at night, so "we can get out across to Harley: if you see a light on at a house at night, we don't want you to be scared, we want you to go knock on the door and have them call the authorities wherever they are at and they will in turn get someone headed your way so we can get you safely returned to mom and dad"
  • Asking everyone in Port Clinton to check camera systems for anything that looks like Harley or anything possibly suspicious
Questions (reporters questions summarized in italics, direct quote answers)
  • Can you talk about the federal involvement in this over the last 20 hours or so? - "They are involved."
  • Are they to support you guys or is it because of a tip received? - "Everybody here is to try to find Harley. And that's our focus here. As you can tell, the command post has been open 24 hours and will remain open for 24 hours. We have local authorities, federal authorities, statewide authorities here assisting us to try to find Harley."
  • Any leads at this point? - "I cannot comment at this time."
  • Any reason to suspect he may have been abducted or not? - "I cannot comment at this time. I'm sorry folks, this is still an active investigation, so my answers are going to be real limited right now."
  • Does he have a history of running away? - "I think I answered that. No, he does not. He has a history of staying over night at friends' houses and that's all we have at this point. Do we have any calls of him running away? No, we do not."
  • Yesterday there was aviation and dogs involved, have you searched water yet? - "We have had the air units up all over Port Clinton. We had the group that I told you about yesterday that have covered the shoreline and pretty much covered the 150 acres prior to us and they are searching all over the city of Port Clinton and we have been actively searching for Harley within the city limits and outside as well."
  • If anyone is harboring him, what would you say to them? - "Please give us a call, we'll work through this. The main focus here is to get Harley home to mom and dad. Thank you."
  • Now that you have searched the 150 acres, have you expanded the search? - "Well, we've expanded the search throughout the United States at this point because we are looking for Harley."
  • How far away are you getting leads from at this point? - "*long pause* I'm going to say we are getting leads from the national, I think just went out today, again Harley's national (holding up NCMEC poster), we are continuing to get tips from all over the United States and we are tracking them down with the help of the agencies in those jurisdictions."
  • Do you still believe he is in the Port Clinton area or is that still up in the air? - "Harley is alive and I'm gonna believe that til I hear otherwise"
  • Is there any chance he made his way to Canada? - "*shrugs* We're looking for Harley Dilly. I have no idea where Harley is at. But again, Harley, come home."
  • Since Monday there has been 4 press conferences, why did it take 6 days for that to be the first press conference? - "I think I covered that yesterday. But basically, the call...at the time we got the call, it was almost 48 hours. We wanted to rule out all the video footage and everything we could. We're still going through that video footage again, and we're trying to find Harley."
  • How prevalent is human trafficking in this area and do you suspect that may be a cause of his disappearance? - "No comment."
  • What about his friends? Have any come forward from school? - "Again, we're searching every lead we get. At this point, I've got limited information I can give you at this time because it is an ongoing investigation."
  • At this point, is it still an endangered runaway or is it starting to transition into a criminal investigation? - "Again, in my heart, Harley is still alive and we want Harley to come home."
  • Will the press conferences continue through the weekend? - "Everyday at 3 o'clock until Harley is returned home, you will see me here if you would like to come here."
  • A family member has told me that they didn't want to talk on camera because police had told them not to, is there any message you could give us on behalf of the family? - "I can't talk for the family members, I'm not going to talk for your source. Again, we want Harley to be returned safely home."
  • Is there a reason you don't want family members speaking with us? - "Again, I've got no comment on that. I don't know what that person told you."
  • Does he have any medical conditions? - "Again, I can't respond to that question. I'm sorry."
  • Has the reward been changed again? - "It's going to be changing. I haven't been able to get to Facebook. I've got messages that people have already got checks. So yes, the reward will be increasing and as soon as I am able, that will be posted on our Facebook page."
  • Did he take anything from his home that you are looking into? - "Again, I have no comment on that. I'm sorry."
  • Are the parents still cooperating with police? - "I have no comment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member