OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That >40 hour lag time b/t when he supposedly left for school Friday morning and when his parents reported him missing late on Saturday night is deeply troubling, especially given the fact that per HD's mom, he had complained of not feeling well.

I don't know of many moms who wouldn't get worried if their son who had complained of feeling unwell didn't ever show up home from school.

To say his parents ain't making anybody's shortlist for Mother/Father of the Year is putting it kindly.

I really wish a reporter would ask LE if either of the parents attempted to contact any of HD's friends to track him down b/t Friday afternoon and Saturday night before they called LE.

If not, that's dreadful.

Self-harm, foul play by person(s) known to HD, HD meeting up with someone that Friday morning, all are possible scenarios here.

The fact that there have been no sightings of him since that morning doesn't bode well, whatever the reason for his disappearance.

JMO.
Everything about this case is concerning, sad, and hurts my heart. No it's just not okay for 14 year old boys to be out wandering the streets when no adult responsible for them knows their whereabouts. It's just not. Or being openly on social media with an open profile since the age of 7. (source being Harley's own Facebook account) It sets a stage where a logical person imo would question the home life in terms of whether the boy was in fact running away to avoid going home. It's not a kid's job to make parents feel better and I do not believe it's being used as a sage, strategic "letting him feel helpful" technique. Is it possible he ran away, maybe because his phone was taken away and fights at home, and then somehow he fell/injured/hurt in his hideaway spot?

bbm
Saving this post.
That's a lot to get rid of; even if it's clothes that a person has outgrown from weight changes.
I'd read about the clothes being tossed but didn't know how many bags.
17 bags !

And the garbage truck being there at an unusual time.
Didn't the employer ask questions ?
This is crazy insane.
Imo.

I had heard it was children's clothes and items. So that could include toys. PLEASE remember that the Mother DID have a heart attack and stroke 10 months prior and that there is also a young child (4 y/o I believe) in the home. That could be ONE reason to the number of bags. BOTH kids having items that were gathered to go for donation in preparation for new items they would be getting at Christmas as well as the Mom catching up on things that could POSSIBLY have been neglected while she was ill.
NOT answering the calls from the school is unusual as well as the fathers work vehicle (garbage truck) being there as well as the fire at the father's place of employment.

This bothered me too,and even more so since I learned the Grandfather is a retired cop,so he really should know better(I do concede that under the pressure of his grandson being missing he may not be thinking straight).

Considering his past career, I think the grandfather was speaking his fears... he knows his grandson and his habits, and although a retired officer the training is kicking in...

This is such a critical topic for all parents. It is our responsibility to kick in proactive measures to protect the young. This article contains good information. I’ve highlighted some important issues.

The facts:
  • Predators target kids who post revealing pictures, divulge past sexual abuse, and/or engage in sexual talk online.

• There's some conflicting research about what ages are most at-risk, but 12 to 15 seems to be prime time, and girls are more frequent victims.

• Teen boys who are questioning their sexuality are the second-most targeted group because they often feel talking about it online is safer than sharing in real life.

• Sometimes, teens egg each other on to pursue contact with strangers online, and it can feel like a game.

• Teens want to feel special, validated, attractive, and understood at a time when they're separating from their parents, so an older "friend" who’s very interested in them can feel exciting and special.

• Most often, teens engage in relationships with predators willingly, though they often keep them secret.

• If your kid withdraws and becomes secretive around a device (hiding the screen, clicking from a window suddenly), it could be an indicator.

• Phone calls and gifts from unknown people are possible signs.

• *advertiser censored* on the device your kid uses might be a sign.
The strategy: The tricky part is that most tweens and teens withdraw and are sometimes secretive; it's part of their development. If, however, you notice these in the extreme, that's a concern -- no matter the reason. Spot checks on the devices your kid uses to monitor for sexy posts and pictures and knowing some lingo can help, but open communication -- without accusation or overreaction -- is usually the most effective.
The Facts About Online Predators Every Parent Should Know

I wish LE would go public and offer this young man a safe space upon returning - meaning he will not have to go home if he does not wish since that could be part of the issue. Perhaps (in hindsight) it would have been best to delegate someone to create an FB page for him - someone who could screen the hate while posting meaningful updates? Bottom line - so many people are hurting right now - he has no idea how much love people have for him.

Just have to say if it was my teen who was missing; police chief's advice to 'give it a few more days' notwithstanding--- I'd be out there looking for him day and night and calling his friends.
And so would my DH.
You couldn't keep us from searching unless you had to lock us in our house.
And IF my child was missing-- I'd not be in the frame of mind to do any house cleaning/clearing out (17 bags of clothing thrown out) !

Everything would stop and I'd be begging for help and searching.
I wouldn't be doing anything else, not my nails, nor even eating -- and barely sleeping.
Imo.

I am not sure why they don't want anyone searching...they put up billboards. It just seems like another contradiction. Hopefully more will come out. This is the strangest missing persons case.

PC Police made a new post about children's safety tomorrow :

Sunday, January 5th, 2020

Good Evening Parents,

The Port Clinton Police Department will continue to conduct schools patrols along with our two (2) School Resource Officers.

Please see the announcement that Superintendent Pat Adkins published on Friday, January 3rd, 2020.

Chief Hickman

The post then contains a graphic from the Superintendent of the schools about counseling available and working with LE.

I am not sure why they don't want anyone searching...they put up billboards. It just seems like another contradiction. Hopefully more will come out. This is the strangest missing persons case.
I feel like it could even help if they provided a general area, MOO. Like Do they think he’s still in town or do people along the major transportation routes need to keep an eye out? Should we look out for just a kid, would he be with someone?

IMO It might be good to take a look at traffic cams in the area. If they saw him in a car they could know a general direction.

I feel like it could even help if they provided a general area, MOO. Like Do they think he’s still in town or do people along the major transportation routes need to keep an eye out? Should we look out for just a kid, would he be with someone?

IMO It might be good to take a look at traffic cams in the area. If they saw him in a car they could know a general direction.

It's a really small town. If someone saw Harley, they'd know who he was and either tell authorities or blab it to someone that would. He's not going to get by under the radar if he stays there, unless he's holed up in a cottage...but with his hygiene habits I don't think he would be.

It's a really small town. If someone saw Harley, they'd know who he was and either tell authorities or blab it to someone that would. He's not going to get by under the radar if he stays there, unless he's holed up in a cottage...but with his hygiene habits I don't think he would be.
Can anyone local say whether LE is saying anything different in local news?

For instance our news outlets knew things before national news did in some cases.

Can anyone local say whether LE is saying anything different in local news?
For instance our news outlets knew things before national news did in some cases.

Nope. LE isn't appearing in local news AT ALL. Lastnight on LIVE PD was the first we've seen of Port Clinton LE since the last live presser.

Question for the locals.

The police chief posts a Facebook statement every day and in it he says to give us a couple more days to complete our search areas before the public can start searching.

Are you aware of there being any active searches being conducted by law enforcement recently? Blocked roads, search grids, helicopters, drones, boats?

I follow the Port Clinton pages closely but haven't seen anything mentioned about any searches for days now.

Question for the locals.

The police chief posts a Facebook statement every day and in it he says to give us a couple more days to complete our search areas before the public can start searching.

Are you aware of there being any active searches being conducted by law enforcement recently? Blocked roads, search grids, helicopters, drones, boats?

I follow the Port Clinton pages closely but haven't seen anything mentioned about any searches for days now.

Yes and also no?
From what I’ve been seeing / hearing the searches are spotty or targeted. Not any wide spread grid searching at all. There were limited volunteer searches on 12-23 then they were all called off and asked not to search.

It seems more like follow up on tips to me. There were two days a helicopter was up for a couple hours. No recent roads closing. No big water searches that family has seen on the lake side. LE was seen in the quarry today but not sure if it was related or not.

You know some times when you answer a question and you are like “I didn’t realize how bad that sounds until I said it?”

That’s how I’m feeling after answering about the levels of searching and the refusal to allow grid searching.

MOO My gut says they know they aren’t looking for Harley alive. Otherwise it makes NO sense to not have grid searched very early on. :(

You know some times when you answer a question and you are like “I didn’t realize how bad that sounds until I said it?”

That’s how I’m feeling after answering about the levels of searching and the refusal to allow grid searching.

MOO My gut says they know they aren’t looking for Harley alive. Otherwise it makes NO sense to not have grid searched very early on. :(

If they were afraid of trampling evidence - why not search using drones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insanecobain