Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 225808

Investigators have a drone up over the house in Port Clinton where they searched for Harley Dilly. They’re looking at the chimney.

View attachment 225809
Harley Dilly Found Dead, Reports Say, in Sad Development | Heavy.com

The below is quoted from a post by member lmr:
"Police searching home reportedly connected with missing Port Clinton teen
Reporter states that house was searched because Police Cgief saw a lock box on the home, realized it was empty and decided to search. The home is diagonally visible from HD's home. Reporter also states that he "thinks" most activity was happening on 2nd floor of home.
I wonder if he climbed in somehow and fell. Accidental death."

If the empty lockbox tipped off LE to the fact that someone had entered this supposed-to-be-unoccupied house, and we assume that HD may have been the one to open the lockbox, there'd have been no need for him to enter the house through the chimney. Although I do think it's possible they thought another individual (or individuals), i.e. transients, squatters, etc., had broken into the house for reasons entirely unrelated to the HD case, and only after they investigated did they realize HD was (or had been) in there....

Here's my (admittedly farfetched) thought on how HD might've accessed this house: if I owned a property across from a home where I regularly saw a young teenage boy, small of stature, locked out of the house by his family regardless of the weather/hour, AND I was not currently living full-time in the house--maybe it was getting fixed up to go on the market and mostly empty--I might consider telling the kid my lockbox code so he'd have a nearby place to find shelter if he got locked out in frigid temps or very late at night. I might even casually "hire" him to go in there occasionally to check on the property (make sure the pipes hadn't frozen/leaked, etc.) if I wasn't regularly able to do so myself, thus giving him a legitimate reason for being in there if LE or his parents ever caught him.

Agreed JaneEyre - I'm in northern IL and have rentals - even if empty, need to keep some type (although minimal) heat on to avoid disasters :) Also, many owners keep electricity on so the properties don't appear to be vacant.

View attachment 225808

Investigators have a drone up over the house in Port Clinton where they searched for Harley Dilly. They’re looking at the chimney.

View attachment 225809
Harley Dilly Found Dead, Reports Say, in Sad Development | Heavy.com

Reporter states that house was searched because Police Cgief saw a lock box on the home, realized it was empty and decided to search. The home is diagonally visible from HD's home. Reporter also states that he "thinks" most activity was happening on 2nd floor of home.

If the empty lockbox tipped off LE to the fact that someone had entered this supposed-to-be-unoccupied house, and we assume that HD may have been the one to open the lockbox, there'd have been no need for him to enter the house through the chimney. Although I do think it's possible they thought another individual (or individuals), i.e. transients, squatters, etc., had broken into the house for reasons entirely unrelated to the HD case, and only after they investigated did they realize HD was (or had been) in there....

Here's my (admittedly farfetched) thought on how HD might've accessed this house: if I owned a property across from a home where I regularly saw a young teenage boy, small of stature, locked out of the house by his family regardless of the weather/hour, AND I was not currently living full-time in the house--maybe it was getting fixed up to go on the market and mostly empty--I might consider telling the kid my lockbox code so he'd have a nearby place to find shelter if he got locked out in frigid temps or very late at night. I might even casually "hire" him to go in there occasionally to check on the property (pick up fallen leaves, collect any mail still being sent to that address, make sure the pipes hadn't frozen/leaked, etc.) if I wasn't regularly able to do so myself, thus giving him a legitimate reason for being in there if LE or his parents ever caught him.

Here's my (admittedly farfetched) thought on how HD might've accessed this house: if I owned a property across from a home where I regularly saw a young teenage boy, small of stature, locked out of the house by his family regardless of the weather/hour, AND I was not currently living full-time in the house--maybe it was getting fixed up to go on the market and mostly empty--I might consider telling the kid my lockbox code so he'd have a nearby place to find shelter if he got locked out in frigid temps or very late at night. I might even casually "hire" him to go in there occasionally to check on the property (make sure the pipes hadn't frozen/leaked, etc.) if I wasn't regularly able to do so myself, thus giving him a legitimate reason for being in there if LE or his parents ever caught him.
Super nice of you :) personally, I don't see giving out my lockbox codes to anyone other than workers. Never know what someone's agenda is - come back to vandalize, squat, steal copper, etc. Not saying HD would do something like that, but just in general.

For an unoccupied house, that property is well taken care of. While some fallen deciduous leaves remain on the ground, it looks like the majority of them have been picked up.

Who was taking care of that house and property in the absence of the owner?
This is the best way to prevent break-ins of vacant homes. Keep it up as if it’s occupied, keep the heat running to a degree, and use timer lights. I only recently found out that there were two vacant homes near me. I kept seeing exhaust from the chimneys and occasional lights, lawns mowed, leaves cleaned up, etc. So it wouldn’t surprise me if very few people realized this house was vacant.

For an unoccupied house, that property is well taken care of. While some fallen deciduous leaves remain on the ground, it looks like the majority of them have been picked up.

We own a home in a mountain lake community and hire a property manager to regularly visit the property for caretaking and security. But the neighbor across the street also informally helps us out by keeping an eye out for unexpected activity or damage from storms. We've given both the hired caretaker and the helpful (and wonderful) neighbor a key.

This is the best way to prevent break-ins of vacant homes. Keep it up as if it’s occupied, keep the heat running to a degree, and use timer lights. I only recently found out that there were two vacant homes near me. I kept seeing exhaust from the chimneys and occasional lights, lawns mowed, leaves cleaned up, etc. So it wouldn’t surprise me if very few people realized this house was vacant.
Well said. We even keep random cars in the driveways of our vacant homes, so if anyone is out "scouting", they don't appear empty

Scott Noll (@ScottNoll_News) Tweeted:
Owner of home searched by Port Clinton police yesterday in connection with disappearance of #HarleyDilly tells 5 On Your Side Investigators he was contacted by police yesterday afternoon & assisted officers w/layout of home and gave permission to search house. (more)@WEWS #WEWS Scott Noll on Twitter

Scott Noll on Twitter

Took the chief 3 weeks to notice lockbox. He had someone walk a dog around house nobody noticed. Everybody was just waiting for LE to get done before they searched themselves. Guess the search ended last night. I hope the city takes the reward money as a start to begin putting up security / traffic cameras.

I'm not sure about the state this home is in, but here in MN, the realtor has a huge liability if anything happens to a home that they have listed. So they generally pay a company to maintain these homes. Now, we don't know if this home is actually listed for sale. So there may not be a realtor involved.

Scott Noll (@ScottNoll_News) Tweeted:
Also says police asked him not to share details of what was found. Said house has been empty for about 10 yrs. Says no one had permission to be inside house. He was last at home in mid-November. @WEWS #WEWS Scott Noll on Twitter

Scott Noll on Twitter

Empty for 10 years? So it’s not for sale or a rental. Wonder why they don’t sell it if they don’t rent or use it?

I wouldn’t pay utilities, groundskeeping, maintenance on an empty house for 10 years.

I know my insurance coverage went up for rental houses that were not continuously occupied - they were considered vacant and at higher risk for vandalism, broken pipes, leaks, etc.

Super nice of you :) personally, I don't see giving out my lockbox codes to anyone other than workers. Never know what someone's agenda is - come back to vandalize, squat, steal copper, etc. Not saying HD would do something like that, but just in general.

I agree but for me it would be "Liability" reasons that I would never consider giving a key to an underage person to watch the home.

If he got injured in the home, and if the owners had given him a key and gave him permission to be there, then the owners of property could be liable for any injuries. For this reason, I would never consider letting an underage person have access to my home if I was out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalamityGirl