Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton HS, 20 Dec 2019 #6 *found in chimney*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At first I was thinking that hypothermia was a good possibility. Now, I'm not so sure. I was originally picturing a chimney on an outside wall with three of the chimney's walls exposed to the elements. Later I realized that the chimney was in the center of the house so the entire chimney was insulated by the rest of the house. Also, the heat was on "low".

I'm sure it was still at least "chilly" in there. Just probably not as cold as I first thought. Can you get hypothermia if it was say 50 degrees?
<bbm>

Yes. Hypothermia can occur whenever the body is exposed for prolonged periods to temperatures lower than your normal body temperature (98.6)

But prolonged exposure to any environment colder than your body can lead to hypothermia if you aren't dressed appropriately or can't control the conditions.

Hypothermia - Symptoms and causes

I don't think you can? But considering it likely wasn't freezing inside the chimney, that would have meant after some three weeks, there would be quite an odor, right?
Yeah, maybe. But maybe it was cold enough that it was like a "refrigerator".

Also, I think the police probably could have looked in the 8 inch flue hole or stuck their phone in the hole and taken a picture, and probably figure out that he was deceased pretty easily.

I can see it being possible that it took some time before a lightbulb went off in someone's head, and they said, "what if he is in the chimney?" I can see that maybe taking some time because it is pretty bizarre.

I almost wonder if the homeowner was briefly a suspect after they found the coat and glasses (and possibly body).

Why wouldn't the fire department, knowing how to break down a chimney, and presumably having the correct tools with them to do so, have broken down the chimney much sooner if they thought the boy was stuck inside the chimney?
I don't know the answer because we don't know when the FD got there, we don't know if there was a way that the paramedics were able to tell if they were dealing with a live or deceased person. To me when I watched the live that night, it seemed like they were doing everything methodically and different agencies were in and out of that road from the house.
So as soon as one agency was done, they would leave.Such as FD, ambulance, and whom ever was in the unmarked vehicles.And then I believe the FD came back twice and left. Maybe to get some different tools, I don't know.
And how soon did they learn that there was an actual body in the chimney? We don't have a time for that and a lot of other exact times. I feel at that point, NOTHING could be rushed, I think they knew what was coming.
They are professionals, but, they are people first, and I'm sure emotions were running high and maybe in disbelief that that was it.
It's not like they came up on a horrific traffic accident and knew what they would most likely see ahead of getting there.Yet still be hard to cope with. This was a child they had looked for 1 month and ended up being where no one had an idea he would be.
I can almost bet, that when they found the coat and glasses,they did another thorough walk through of the house to make sure they hadn't missed him somewhere in there.
I think once they found that jacket and glasses, everything went in slow motion, they had to.
And as far as the FD rushing in there and break the chimney down quickly, what IF he were still hanging on? The bashing of bricks would have been his fate.
It's like a house fire, the professionals don't go in rushing to tear walls down to get to people, everything needs to get done VERY carefully, for the victims safety and the people trying to help safety. My opinion

<bbm>

Yes. Hypothermia can occur whenever the body is exposed for prolonged periods to temperatures lower than your normal body temperature (98.6)

But prolonged exposure to any environment colder than your body can lead to hypothermia if you aren't dressed appropriately or can't control the conditions.

Hypothermia - Symptoms and causes
Here's hoping that he became unconscious from hypothermia way before he succumbed so he wasn't petrified and helpless for hours.

Here is a calendar of the weather in Port Clinton for Dec 2019 then click arrow to go into Jan 2020. I do not believe Harley stayed alive more than a couple hours on the day he most likely went down the chimney, especially without a coat. Hypothermia most likely set in quickly. I read somewhere and at this point ,it's my opinion , but I believe I read there wasn't any odor and I believe that because of the cold. Here is the weather link.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/port-clinton/43452/december-weather/1169?year=2019
Bringing this back since were on the temp and hypothermia. The temperature , especially at night while Harley was missing was VERY cold and really didn't warm up to where I could say that there would be a foul odor. Look at the temp of the night he went missing, that's colder than a freezer. Sounds horrible, but, I pray he was already deceased by then. :(

One thing I did not realize until I drove past it was that basically the side of the house where the antenna is, it’s facing the street, the corner and it’s VERY visible. Only if he was under the cover of night, would no one have seen him and even then it seems far fetched. IMO. I mean, I just cannot see him climbing that thing. I’m having trouble with that one.
If he didn't climb it, how did he get up there? And if no one saw him climbing it alone, what are they chances no one would see two people going up it, one holding a weapon?

I did not see anywhere if the coat was dirty or clean It would have taken only minutes to use a flashlight and a mirror inserted into the 8" flue opening to see a body in the chimney. For hours, the police chief kept saying that no body was found.
Just because they saw a body, doesn't mean they should announce it publicly. They needed to do an investigation and talk to the family first.

I wonder if there were drywalled walls over top of the chimney/covering the chimney, but the 8" round flue was left intact in the drywall.. the coat was sticking out of the hole.. so they took it out, hung it on the door.. and then maybe started cutting away at the drywall? but then realized it was brickwork in behind the drywall.. which was a much larger job to get access into.. ? (But still.. that is a LONG time, isn't it???)
The one in our kitchen had wood paneling over it and the flue cover still in place. The one in our bedroom had plaster over it, and wallpaper, and the flue cover still in place. So this is likely.

Does anyone happen to know *why* his phone was broken, and since when it had been broken?

ETA: Something I've always been curious about.

Nobody knows for certain *how* his phone was broken,and there is no MSM link to the exact day so we cant discuss it,but the photo evidence is out there if you look elsewhere;)

I don't think you can? But considering it likely wasn't freezing inside the chimney, that would have meant after some three weeks, there would be quite an odor, right?
And if the flue opening was so reachable for Harley that he was able to push the coat and glasses out of it, wouldn’t the odor be permeating heavily at least out of that flue opening? To quickly lead them to the location of the source?

The third boy that Harley was with Thursday night said that he saw Harley Friday after school, the police report states. Port Clinton Police Chief Robert Hickman later explained during a news conference that the friend later realized he saw Harley Thursday after school, not Friday. Harley came by his house asking if he could go to the Cavs game as well, but he said they didn’t have any more tickets. The boy confirmed that when he saw Harley that afternoon, Harley was wearing a red coat, gray sweatpants and black tennis shoes. How could the 3rd kid possibly know what Harley was wearing on Friday if he did not see him on Friday????????? Hmmmmmmm.

I wonder where the FBI is on this. MOO. They were there during this investigation. No pressers from them????
MOO

I dont think they were actively involved in every aspect of the investigation,its MOO that they were just there to lend a hand in investigating the cyber side of things. This was the PCPD's case.

The third boy that Harley was with Thursday night said that he saw Harley Friday after school, the police report states. Port Clinton Police Chief Robert Hickman later explained during a news conference that the friend later realized he saw Harley Thursday after school, not Friday. Harley came by his house asking if he could go to the Cavs game as well, but he said they didn’t have any more tickets. The boy confirmed that when he saw Harley that afternoon, Harley was wearing a red coat, gray sweatpants and black tennis shoes. How could the 3rd kid possibly know what Harley was wearing on Friday if he did not see him on Friday????????? Hmmmmmmm.
I’ve wondered about this also. It’s possible that this was Harleys everyday wardrobe, teenage boy after all. But given that mom didn’t actually see him Friday morning, maybe they were using this description because it’s the most definite one they had. And it seems to match the albeit horrible surveillance photo. However, in the police report I believe it said that Harley had asked the boy if he could join them “that night” which really makes it seem like it was on Friday that this occurred. Who knows though, maybe the police officer wrote the wording down wrong.

I’ve wondered about this also. It’s possible that this was Harleys everyday wardrobe, teenage boy after all. But given that mom didn’t actually see him Friday morning, maybe they were using this description because it’s the most definite one they had. And it seems to match the albeit horrible surveillance photo. However, in the police report I believe it said that Harley had asked the boy if he could join them “that night” which really makes it seem like it was on Friday that this occurred. Who knows though, maybe the police officer wrote the wording down wrong.

Yep,maybe....................

Bringing this back since were on the temp and hypothermia. The temperature , especially at night while Harley was missing was VERY cold and really didn't warm up to where I could say that there would be a foul odor. Look at the temp of the night he went missing, that's colder than a freezer. Sounds horrible, but, I pray he was already deceased by then. :(

what temperature would be conducive to producing a foul odor? Right after Harley disappeared, we entered a two week long way warmer than usual stretch in Ohio. 40s 50s and even low 60s where I am 1 hr south of PC. Still “cold” I suppose.

Here is what the linked temps show. Recommended refrigerator temp is 40F (4C) and a freezer is zero F (-18C). Most of the days he was said to have been inside the chimney were not even as cold as a refrigerator should be.:
Date: High / Low
Thu 12/19 28° / 9° Actual Temp
Fri 12/20 34° / 16° Actual Temp
Sat 12/21 43° / 23° Actual Temp
Sun 12/22 48° / 32° Actual Temp
Mon 12/23 54° / 36° Actual Temp
Tue 12/24 39° / 36° Actual Temp
Wed 12/25 55° / 28° Actual Temp
Thu 12/26 61° / 39° Actual Temp
Fri 12/27 55° / 37° Actual Temp
Sat 12/28 41° / 36° Actual Temp
Sun 12/29 57° / 41° Actual Temp
Mon 12/30 55° / 36° Actual Temp
Tue 12/31 36° / 28° Actual Temp
Wed 1 39° / 27° Actual Temp
Thu 2 50° / 37° Actual Temp
Fri 3 46° / 37° Actual Temp
Sat 4 37° / 32° Actual Temp
Sun 5 41° / 30° Actual Temp
Mon 6 41° / 32° Actual Temp
Tue 7 43° / 28° Actual Temp
Wed 8 36° / 21° Actual Temp
Thu 9 50° / 21° Actual Temp
Fri 10 54° / 43° Actual Temp
Sat 11 63° / 36° Actual Temp
Sun 12 36° / 28° Actual Temp
Mon 13 39° / 34° Actual Temp
Tue 14 45° / 32° Actual Temp

Keep your appliances at the proper temperatures. Keep the refrigerator temperature at or below 40° F (4° C). The freezer temperature should be 0° F (-18° C).
Are You Storing Food Safely?

If he didn't climb it, how did he get up there? And if no one saw him climbing it alone, what are they chances no one would see two people going up it, one holding a weapon?
I agree with you, the hostage theory is not really feasible to me and definitely not climbing up the antenna. The back of the house, away from Fulton is more secluded. IF Harley did not climb the antenna and traverse the icy roof to lower himself into the chimney....my working foul play theory is that it would have to be someone that knew the house, that perhaps had worked on it before, and had the capability to carry a limp, perhaps unconscious body up a ladder perched up to the backside of the house, like a roofer or some kind of construction type person. All speculation only of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876
Back