Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton HS, 20 Dec 2019 #6 *found in chimney*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, maybe. But maybe it was cold enough that it was like a "refrigerator".

Also, I think the police probably could have looked in the 8 inch flue hole or stuck their phone in the hole and taken a picture, and probably figure out that he was deceased pretty easily.

I can see it being possible that it took some time before a lightbulb went off in someone's head, and they said, "what if he is in the chimney?" I can see that maybe taking some time because it is pretty bizarre.

I almost wonder if the homeowner was briefly a suspect after they found the coat and glasses (and possibly body).
I really don't think it would have taken time for a lightbulb to go off. The smell of decomp is staggering. Body decomp fluids permeate porous materials, which in a home or chimney can include carpet, subflooring, walls, concrete, and more, causing a smell that cannot be removed by ordinary cleaning methods.

Yeah, maybe. But maybe it was cold enough that it was like a "refrigerator".

Also, I think the police probably could have looked in the 8 inch flue hole or stuck their phone in the hole and taken a picture, and probably figure out that he was deceased pretty easily.

I can see it being possible that it took some time before a lightbulb went off in someone's head, and they said, "what if he is in the chimney?" I can see that maybe taking some time because it is pretty bizarre.

I almost wonder if the homeowner was briefly a suspect after they found the coat and glasses (and possibly body).
I really don't think it would have taken time for a lightbulb to go off. The smell of decomp is staggering. Body decomp fluids permeate porous materials, which in a home or chimney can include carpet, subflooring, walls, concrete, and more, causing a smell that cannot be removed by ordinary cleaning methods.

I’ve wondered about this also. It’s possible that this was Harleys everyday wardrobe, teenage boy after all. But given that mom didn’t actually see him Friday morning, maybe they were using this description because it’s the most definite one they had. And it seems to match the albeit horrible surveillance photo. However, in the police report I believe it said that Harley had asked the boy if he could join them “that night” which really makes it seem like it was on Friday that this occurred. Who knows though, maybe the police officer wrote the wording down wrong.
Hmmmmmmmmm. This whole case stinks. Who exactly talked to kid number three, and deduced that kid number three got the day wrong??????? What time was Harley really last seen Friday,and by whom????????? What was he wearing????? What was he wearing when he was found in the chimney???????? Could there be a conflict of interest????? Poor Harley.

Coroner believes Harley Dilly died the day he went missing

“The coroner ruled Harley's cause of death as compressive asphyxia. Compressive asphyxia is when respiration is prevented by external pressure on the body.”​

This. It appears, MOO, that the poor lad survived long enough to shove his coat through the thimble, likely to get it out of his way, so as to improve his chances of going up. I would surmise, in that situation, one of potential pure panic, the desire to go up would be quite powerful. Then, as he moved about he became more tightly wedged, hence the death by asphyxia. I speculate he died long before hypothermia would have come in to play. Likely much sooner after becoming stuck in that chimney than folks may realize.

As to odor. MOO. If one understands chimneys, they are designed to draft. It is very possible that chimney was naturally drafting, i.e. sucking air from the living quarters of the home, through the thimble, and up the chimney.

This. It appears, MOO, that the poor lad survived long enough to shove his coat through the thimble, likely to get it out of his way, so as to improve his chances of going up. I would surmise, in that situation, one of potential pure panic, the desire to go up would be quite powerful. Then, as he moved about he became more tightly wedged, hence the death by asphyxia. I speculate he died long before hypothermia would have come in to play. Likely much sooner after becoming stuck in that chimney than folks may realize.

As to odor. MOO. If one understands chimneys, they are designed to draft. It is very possible that chimney was naturally drafting, i.e. sucking air from the living quarters of the home, through the thimble, and up the chimney.
I'm a dumbell sometimes, can you pick a different word than thimble. Lol!

I'm a dumbell sometimes, can you pick a different word than thimble. Lol!

I am glad you brought this up. I may be wrong in my assessment. It depends on what exactly is in that home, and I'm unsure. If someone knows, I'd surely be interested in finding out exactly what the setup was.

If there is an actual masonry fireplace on the second floor, then I am most likely wrong. It could be that Harley landed or some how stopped short of the fireplace smoke shelf, and his coat/glasses fell down through an open damper and tumbled in to the firebox area of the fireplace. (see right side illustration, masonry fireplace)

masonry-vs-factorybuilt.jpg

However, if the chimney is/was setup to use a woodstove, then a thimble would pass through the wall, to the chimney.
061-wood-stove-safety---connect-to-chimney.jpg

Reactions: v0x
I am so sorry, as it appears, through some research, that there indeed was a fireplace on the second floor. My fault, NO THIMBLE!:)

I guess, until they had a body, though, it could have been an animal decomposing -- no matter how unlikely given all the circumstantial evidence. Imo, it's like not id'ing a body until the id has been confirmed, even though everyone at the scene knows perfectly well who it is from the second the body is found.

We have talked here about how LE found the coat 'on the second floor', but some seem to have translated that into 'found the coat on the floor of the second level'.. and then how LE must have hung it up on the door themselves (which caused concern for some that LE may have potentially 'tampered' with the evidence (coat).. I'm wondering if the coat (with eyeglasses in the pocket of the coat), was stuck in the flue opening (the eight inch circle), and that is why officers 'tampered' with it. I don't think it had ever been reported that it had actually been found on the floor (imo, at least I didn't ever see that quote from LE). They may have surmised that HD was inside, but not wanting to cause heartache until it was known for sure what and whom they were dealing with, they may have said that 'no body had been found' (because it really hadn't until they'd bashed the bricks and retrieved the body)? speculation.

This is my thinking too. I also don't think the coat made it all the way to the floor. No matter how I picture it or look at different types of flues/chimney, I just cannot imagine the coat making it all the way through the flue opening. Either he managed to get it close enough that his glasses fell to the floor or just a small piece of his coat was visible or somebody thought to look up the flue and saw something.

I'm also so happy there ended up being no protest during his lunch/visitation. I was planning on going, I'm only 4 hours away, but this flu going around is a doozie this year.

Last edited:
I thought it has been established that the homeowner stated that NO fireplaces existed in the home? IMO
“There was no openings in that chimney other than, like eight-inch diameter openings in different places throughout. You know, on the first floor and the second floor for a stovepipe to go into it,” said Jim.

He added that the home does not have a fireplace.

“The chimney hasn’t been used in years, so there used to be a gas stove that went into it and there’s been nothing since,” Jim said.
‘Our family is heartbroken’: Owner of home where boy’s body was found in chimney speaks out

A Facebook post from the chief on Monday said that the structure was taken down by the owners of the Fulton Street house, with the assistance of the city of Port Clinton. The gesture was taken "out of respect for Harley's parents."
Homeowner removes chimney at house where Harley Dilly died

eta second source:
View attachment 228220
Chimney that Harley Dilly's body was found inside removed 'out of respect'
What happened to the 'on going' investigation?????

This is exactly what I was worried about. It’s an accident so no need to investigate further. But if that’s the case then we should get to see the final police report and autopsy results soon I would hope.

This is exactly what I was worried about. It’s an accident so no need to investigate further. But if that’s the case then we should get to see the final police report and autopsy results soon I would hope.

I'm still on the fence of believing it was 100% accident. I know that is the way logic points, but all the unanswered questions and "weird" things going on, makes me think there is something more. I agree, I hope that they release something soon. If it was truly an accident why won't the PCPD just release all the relevant reports so this poor child can rest in peace.

On another note. Not saying I agree to HD parents parenting style or the whole waiting 2 days things, this is me leaving my opinion out of all that, it is nice to see the homeowners take that down in respect for his parents. I know they (the parents) have been hit hard by SM during all this (not saying some of it wasn't valid) but the gesture is nice to see. I just hope that LEO did a damn good job on evidence collecting cause it's gone now.

Last edited:
Well, it depends how one interprets media.

"Police say the body of the missing Port Clinton teen was found in a house near his family home, trapped in a fireplace."

Coroner: Harley Dilly died from compressive asphyxia

I'm not sure what they're talking about. Anyone with woodburning experience, which would include me :), knows a 'thimble' is the clay or stainless steel piece that passes through the wall of the home. The 'flue' is the chimney. Hence my confusion I imagine.

I originally thought he was stuck in the chimney, and shoved the coat and glasses through a THIMBLE, but after reading the above article, where it referenced a fireplace, I thought of a different possible scenario.

I truly apologize if I misled anyone. Having caught up on the past few posts, I am back to my original understanding, and that is, he passed the coat through a thimble in the wall.

Last edited:
What happened to the 'on going' investigation?????
*Has Harley’s “manner of death” been confirmed by coroner? Have the toxicology determinations been released?

The office added that the manner of death appears to be accidental but will await a law enforcement investigation, and that final autopsy findings are awaiting toxicology analysis.
Port Clinton police release initial police report from Harley Dilly case

According to WTVG, Port Clinton police chief Rob Hickman said Harley Dilly’s death appears to be accidental and not the result of foul play.

Port Clinton police said they are awaiting reports from other agencies who were involved in the search. WTVG reported that a toxicology analysis report is pending.
Harley Dilly: Teen found dead in chimney likely died of ‘compression asphyxia’ same day he vanished [Docs]

*Has Harley’s “manner of death” been confirmed by coroner? Have the toxicology determinations been released?

The office added that the manner of death appears to be accidental but will await a law enforcement investigation, and that final autopsy findings are awaiting toxicology analysis.
Port Clinton police release initial police report from Harley Dilly case

According to WTVG, Port Clinton police chief Rob Hickman said Harley Dilly’s death appears to be accidental and not the result of foul play.

Port Clinton police said they are awaiting reports from other agencies who were involved in the search. WTVG reported that a toxicology analysis report is pending.
Harley Dilly: Teen found dead in chimney likely died of ‘compression asphyxia’ same day he vanished [Docs]
So if there is an ongoing investigation, wouldn't the chimney be a very important part of said ongoing investigation???? Thusly tearing down the very chimney he was found in could destroy evidence???????

So if there is an ongoing investigation, wouldn't the chimney be a very important part of said ongoing investigation???? Thusly tearing down the very chimney he was found in could destroy evidence???????

Clearly, the ongoing investigation doesn't involve the chimney. It likely involves the autopsy and toxicology report and not much else. They're not looking for causation at his point, they're just looking for details about how exactly he died and whether any drugs/alcohol may have contributed to it. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876
Back