Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton HS, 20 Dec 2019 #6 *found in chimney*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Investigators first found the teen's puffy maroon jacket zipped up and inside out on the floor in the hallway of the home at 507 Fulton St., according to the Port Clinton Police Department.

From the chimney, police believe Dilly pushed his jacket and glasses through a flue, where they then landed on the second floor inside the home.

TY for posting this most recent news (Published 2:08 p.m. ET Feb. 7, 2020). IMO, evidence was compromised again. The coat should have been bagged as found, inside out.
"Investigators first found the teen's puffy maroon jacket zipped up and inside out on the floor in the hallway of the home at 507 Fulton St., according to the Port Clinton Police Department.

In order to properly identify the jacket as the one that belonged to Dilly, an officer unzipped it, turned it right-side out and photographed it — treating the jacket as evidence, police said. "

TY for posting this most recent news (Published 2:08 p.m. ET Feb. 7, 2020). IMO, evidence was compromised again. The coat should have been bagged as found, inside out.
"Investigators first found the teen's puffy maroon jacket zipped up and inside out on the floor in the hallway of the home at 507 Fulton St., according to the Port Clinton Police Department.

In order to properly identify the jacket as the one that belonged to Dilly, an officer unzipped it, turned it right-side out and photographed it — treating the jacket as evidence, police said. "

The coat being found in the hallway is odd too. Why would there be a flu in the hallway?

The coat being found in the hallway is odd too. Why would there be a flu in the hallway?
Not odd at all. In my current home there is an old chimney that has been plastered over which rises from the basement, up through the front room, up to the second floor along the stairs, and then through the roof. This chimney is in the hallway upstairs because, like the home Dilly was found in, the chimney did not open to a fireplace, but was instead meant to vent a coal furnace in the basement.

So just a question and in no way do I mean any disrespect to Harley or LE that was involved in this case.
While I do believe his death was from misadventure (even though the details seem very confusing and there has not been much transparency regarding the case) and I am glad that something positive like scholarships are being created to preserve his memory because he seemed like a really sweet kid from his SM.
It just seems odd to me that there is a lot of fundraising and merchandise sales honoring a person that LE is basically saying passed away while trying to trespass or illegally enter some else's property.
I was just curious if there have been any other cases with a similar outcome?
Granted, a lot of people came forward to donate to find him and I feel it is beautiful how much everyone came to love this child. I just would hate to think that his memory or death would be exploited if that makes sense.
Again, no disrespect, just wondering if there were any outcomes that were similar to this one.
Late night thoughts so sorry if my question is rambling.

He was a kid who wasn't mature enough to realize the danger of climbing into the chimney. It's a tragic accident by someone not mature enough to make good choices. JMO, there's nothing wrong with raising money to honor him and help other kids learn at the same time. If people don't want to donate, they shouldn't, but refrain from criticizing those who do.

Re latest news articles looking back, its sad but fortuitous that a passer-by looked in the window of the empty house and noticed Harley's jacket on the floor. Otherwise, he might have remained hidden there for years.

He was a kid who wasn't mature enough to realize the danger of climbing into the chimney. It's a tragic accident by someone not mature enough to make good choices. JMO, there's nothing wrong with raising money to honor him and help other kids learn at the same time. If people don't want to donate, they shouldn't, but refrain from criticizing those who do.

Re latest news articles looking back, its sad but fortuitous that a passer-by looked in the window of the empty house and noticed Harley's jacket on the floor. Otherwise, he might have remained hidden there for years.
Oh wow really....
How can someone passing by see a jacket on the SECOND story floor??? Do tell please....

I read the statement about the coat being viewed by a passerby from the window was after LE put it there. The home was dusty from renovations, they wanted to preserve it for evidence.

"As police began scouring a vacation home on Jan. 13, the night they would ultimately find the body of Harley Dilly, a passerby spotted the missing teen’s purple jacket through a window and shared the information online, spurring rampant speculation on social media.

Investigators first found the teen's puffy maroon jacket zipped up and inside out on the floor in the hallway of the home at 507 Fulton St., according to the Port Clinton Police Department.

In order to properly identify the jacket as the one that belonged to Dilly, an officer unzipped it, turned it right-side out and photographed it — treating the jacket as evidence, police said."

The "passerby" noticed the jacket hanging up on the door where police had placed it. Then, posted about it on SM. Police were already in the home when this occurred.

Oh wow really....
How can someone passing by see a jacket on the SECOND story floor??? Do tell please....

Someone corrected my post above about someone seeing the coat the night of the house search. Thanks, I misinterpreted the news report.

JMO, we may not learn much of the actual details. Local LE kind of messed up this investigation. BCI apparently didn't sort it out too well either.

If he is in the chimney and taking his jacket off to shove down, why is it inside out and zipped up. I'm at a loss here
It is possible that the coat snagged itself inside the chimney as Harley was falling down feet first. Due to friction, the coat was pulled off of Harley's head and arms. Thus it would allow Harley to easily push the inside - out zipped coat out through the 8" flue opening since the coat was above Harley's head and stretched out arms. Markings inside the chimney would confirm this. JMO

It is possible that the coat snagged itself inside the chimney as Harley was falling down feet first. Due to friction, the coat was pulled off of Harley's head and arms. Thus it would allow Harley to easily push the inside - out zipped coat out through the 8" flue opening since the coat was above Harley's head and stretched out arms. Markings inside the chimney would confirm this. JMO
And yet the chimney has been removed....

I wasn't trying to criticize anything and apologize if I wasn't clear.
My question was if anyone had ever ran across a similar scenario before.
Personally I am also glad to see something positive come from a tragedy.
It just seemed unusual to me.

I wasn't trying to criticize anything and apologize if I wasn't clear.
My question was if anyone had ever ran across a similar scenario before.
Personally I am also glad to see something positive come from a tragedy.
It just seemed unusual to me.

I dont think you have any reason to apologize. You made a valid point. I also think that some of the people selling items are trying to make a easy dollar and sd some are there for the right reasons. If people want to get offended by a question that's on them not you. Just my opinion.

I dont think you have any reason to apologize. You made a valid point. I also think that some of the people selling items are trying to make a easy dollar and sd some are there for the right reasons. If people want to get offended by a question that's on them not you. Just my opinion.

Thank you. I enjoy Websleuths for the chance to ask questions and learn from members that have researched other cases.
I was worried my question had unintentionally came across as rude.
I did notice after my original question that there were some posts about some questionable t-shirt sales so my concern that people could take advantage was sadly not unrealistic .

Last edited:
And yet the chimney has been removed....

the owners of the house had the chimney removed out of respect for the family. The house is right by Harleys family home, imagine if that was your kid, it would be torture to look out the window and see that everyday. Know what I mean?

the owners of the house had the chimney removed out of respect for the family. The house is right by Harleys family home, imagine if that was your kid, it would be torture to look out the window and see that everyday. Know what I mean?
I know exactly where the house is....the chief of police assisted in the removal.. .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back