OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
mysteriew said:
Did you happen to notice if there was much rain that fall?
The reason I ask is that it takes really cold weather to freeze over something like a canal. And if there was much rain- the water would have been moving faster and be less likely to freeze.
upallnite, are you familiar with the canal at all? Any observations as to how wide it is, how deep, how often it freezes over in the winter? Does it freeze completely over, or is there usually some open water in the middle?
I'll tell ya, I've been over and over this canal issue with all kinds of people. I don't remember it being that big or deep, I used to walk down there when I was a teenager. My brother, who is a real Barberton buff, says it's 10 feet deep in some places and very shallow in others. My fiance says he used to float in there on a belly boat to catch turtles and he says at most five feet, well I guess it depends on what section you're in. I plan on making a trip down there so I'll have a better idea, just not looking forward to it.

upallnite said:
I'll tell ya, I've been over and over this canal issue with all kinds of people. I don't remember it being that big or deep, I used to walk down there when I was a teenager. My brother, who is a real Barberton buff, says it's 10 feet deep in some places and very shallow in others. My fiance says he used to float in there on a belly boat to catch turtles and he says at most five feet, well I guess it depends on what section you're in. I plan on making a trip down there so I'll have a better idea, just not looking forward to it.
I teased my fiance that we're going to take different digital pics of him to show depth and he has to stand in different portions of Canal. He said he used to fish for turtles in there in 81-82, I was like HOLY SMOKES!!! He said that could have been a bad scene.

upallnite said:

That may be difficult I agree. I remember going to the scene of my brother's accident and being nervous about going. But after I got there- I actually felt closer to my brother than I did in going to his grave. It was like this was the last place he was living- the last with connection to him I guess. It was difficult picturing the accident, but it helped in understanding exactly what happened.
In your sister's case of course, where her body was found is not likely to be where it went into the water. She likely went into the water somewhere upstream. Could you look at a map and see how far away from the cafe the canal is?

I know how far it is, I could walk from the cafe to the canal in five minutes. In fact, I'll go further than that, I could walk from the cafe to the exact spot they found her in 5 minutes. You live in Ohio, you know that water doesn't freeze solid here in the early winter, not until late December or January. I don't think there was ever ice. The problem is, I don't know how anyone at the police department can make ludicrous remarks about breaking ice and what-not when they are supposed to have no idea when or how she got in there.

upallnite said:
I know how far it is, I could walk from the cafe to the canal in five minutes. In fact, I'll go further than that, I could walk from the cafe to the exact spot they found her in 5 minutes. You live in Ohio, you know that water doesn't freeze solid here in the early winter, not until late December or January. I don't think there was ever ice. The problem is, I don't know how anyone at the police department can make ludicrous remarks about breaking ice and what-not when they are supposed to have no idea when or how she got in there.

I don't disagree with you. I am just trying to think how we can prove it, and trying to think about how long it was before she was found. Do you know when she was supposed to have been seen last?
And how fast did that water move? Is there a current in there or is the water pretty much still?

mysteriew said:
I don't disagree with you. I am just trying to think how we can prove it, and trying to think about how long it was before she was found. Do you know when she was supposed to have been seen last?
And how fast did that water move? Is there a current in there or is the water pretty much still?
The way I remember it, it is very mucky water and I didn't think there was much of a current, but I guess I'll have to wait til I can get down there and see. I don't know if anyone remembers when she came up missing, that's why I cannot wait to get the police reports. I didn't think you were disagreeing with me, Mysteriew, I didn't mean it like that. I was just trying to say that's so ludicrous for them to have called my parents and announce that she had drowned when they knew that there was no evidence either way. A lot of things are weird about this. Like this Chuck alibi thing. Alibi for what?

mysteriew said:
Just an odd note- there was a small bible found with her purse in the cafe. You haven't said much, but the impression I have is that she wasn't exactly leading a life involved in the church.
Could there have been a church in the area that she might have gone to for help? Or maybe one who did a lot of outreach in that area?
Do you know where the purse and bible are now?
You mentioned she had been staying in the cafe. Were any of her other possessions located there? Do you know what else they may have found of hers?
I think the bible was a gift from my parents or someone, my oldest sister has it. I don't know about anything else yet. I just remember a lot of my sisters had that same bible, got em for Christmas one year.

When you go to the police station, think you have enough nerve to see if Chuck reported the loss of his clothing, wallet and ID?
This is only my opinion. But the wallet and ID is odd. Let's say that Chuck is the perp. Wouldn't he have taken his wallet and ID before putting her in the canal? Even if she wore his clothes- would she have been normally carrying his wallet and ID? This is what makes me wonder if the clothing wasn't stolen from his vehicle.
Another point. If she was put in the water and the boots she was wearing were too big for her- wouldn't you expect they would fall off in the water?

mysteriew said:
Do you know this girlfriend's name? Don't tell me, but just want to know if you know it.
Does she still live in the area or do you know what happened to her?
If I recall correctly, I don't think she ever identified herself. I was thinking about after I get all of this stuff together placing a couple of ads asking for information and see what pops up.

upallnite said:
The way I remember it, it is very mucky water and I didn't think there was much of a current, but I guess I'll have to wait til I can get down there and see. I don't know if anyone remembers when she came up missing, that's why I cannot wait to get the police reports. I didn't think you were disagreeing with me, Mysteriew, I didn't mean it like that. I was just trying to say that's so ludicrous for them to have called my parents and announce that she had drowned when they knew that there was no evidence either way. A lot of things are weird about this. Like this Chuck alibi thing. Alibi for what?

What they probably meant was what would now be called- ruled him out as a suspect. On what basis I don't know. LOL, probably cop intuition. And we know how accurate that is.

mysteriew said:
What they probably meant was what would now be called- ruled him out as a suspect. On what basis I don't know. LOL, probably cop intuition. And we know how accurate that is.
I hope his statements are in reports I'm getting. I'm gonna leave a trail of smoke down there to get those.

upallnite said:
If I recall correctly, I don't think she ever identified herself. I was thinking about after I get all of this stuff together placing a couple of ads asking for information and see what pops up.

And see if you can find out from your sister's who her friends were in high school. Who she hung out with.
Although it is possible that this person may have known her in high school, but not been close friends. Then ran into her at the cafe at some point- Jane may have told her something disturbing or she may have questioned something that happened that she saw. If she hung out at the cafe, that could be why she never met with your parents. She may have been warned off.

mysteriew said:
And see if you can find out from your sister's who her friends were in high school. Who she hung out with.
Although it is possible that this person may have known her in high school, but not been close friends. Then ran into her at the cafe at some point- Jane may have told her something disturbing or she may have questioned something that happened that she saw. If she hung out at the cafe, that could be why she never met with your parents. She may have been warned off.
Or, I've thought it also could have been a prank.

Good luck today upallnight. I can't wait to hear what is in that police report. I really don't expect it to be a very long report. Be sure that you tell them that you want copies of any statements, crime scene photo's, crime scene log, ect. so they don't just give you the actual report.

mysteriew said:
Another point. If she was put in the water and the boots she was wearing were too big for her- wouldn't you expect they would fall off in the water?
Maybe not if her feet were bound together?

Hoppy

A few more things..It did rain on a quite a few days through the early winter, though the fall seemed relatively dry. Even into the winter, most of the reports say "rain/snow" and not just snow. I don't see the canal freezing until Jan at the earliest. I found a couple of pics of the canal in Barberton, scroll down to the section "Clinton to Akron".

http://home.earthlink.net/~bikeohio/ohio-erietowpath.html

mysteriew said:
When you go to the police station, think you have enough nerve to see if Chuck reported the loss of his clothing, wallet and ID?
This is only my opinion. But the wallet and ID is odd. Let's say that Chuck is the perp. Wouldn't he have taken his wallet and ID before putting her in the canal? Even if she wore his clothes- would she have been normally carrying his wallet and ID? This is what makes me wonder if the clothing wasn't stolen from his vehicle.
Good points. No, I'm totally too chicken to ask this.:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

shadowangel said:
A few more things..It did rain on a quite a few days through the early winter, though the fall seemed relatively dry. Even into the winter, most of the reports say "rain/snow" and not just snow. I don't see the canal freezing until Jan at the earliest. I found a couple of pics of the canal in Barberton, scroll down to the section "Clinton to Akron".

http://home.earthlink.net/~bikeohio/ohio-erietowpath.html
Great picture shadowangel, it doesn't look deep does it? Of course ya never know till I jump in there, just kiddin!!! Can I start a new thread on this or is that against the rules, since this is sort off... a personal project? This one is getting sort of long.

Right where Wooster rd. N bends is where the White Front Cafe is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back