Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiggerford, it's a real shame you are made to feel the way you do about this case. I gotta say, this case has had many new members, all in an effort to help find JL. Too much time has gone by for me to believe there will be a positive outcome.

I wonder if LE has a perp in mind? Surely by now they have tracked down the date from earlier on the night JL went missing. Surely by now LE has tons of video evidence to help solve this case. I sure hope so.

It is disheartening to know so much time has gone by and seemingly no movement on this Missing Person case.

Where are you JL? :candle:

This case is just so frustrating to me on so many levels... It's like several people here are clearly just trying to help, but those close to the case are just turning us down every step of the way- why? I've noticed a few of my comments have been deleted, but to me I don't think I've violated any of the "terms".

Personally, I don't think the update was much of anything- there are more unanswered questions with the new update than there were before IMO. It sounds like someone was just worried the was going to get turned in so hurry and say something.

I fear the case is going cold. It takes more than FB to make the public aware of a missing person....handing out some flyers every few days is a good thought- but what is it really doing? The area doesn't seem to have been expanded further than the immediate short north, and everyone down that way has been seeing Joey's picture for weeks now.

And I just think the whole idea that LE has surveillance on someone in particular to be too far fetched. They've kept the public in the dark as far as other missing persons cases In the area that have yet to be solved. While I'm sure they know more than they're saying I highly doubt that they are any closer to solving this case than the rest of us are....

It really seems like those close to the case are treating us with hostility- which I hope isn't the case, but it really turns me off on wanting to help in any way- I feel like I'd just be doing something wrong and end up getting a bunch of negativity from just trying to help.

I agree with you completely!<modsnip>I've said for about two weeks now, **** isn't adding up and frankly all the other questions about and PI aside... Why isn't there the most basic of things happening.... Such as... A FREE Facebook page or group dedicated to Finding Joey? I mean, I have been invited to a lost dog or cat Facebook pages but nothing for a well loved human being?.... Also, it bothers the hell out of me that we can't see any of the footage from Union that night.. Because my thought is that perhaps the CPD even with their trained eye aren't familiar enough with Joey or friends to pick him (them) out in the footage.. And if the footage didn't yield any clues what is the hesitation on releasing it? Basically I'm exhausted talking about everything and I'm eager to help out and will do anything to find him... But I feel like no one is organizing anything from search parties to passing out flyers... It's literally like everything completely stopped and went silent.

Just watched this have podcast on now. It is strange case

[video=youtube;Fz50sB89uG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz50sB89uG8[/video]

Yeah that was the small story E! News did on Brian's case as part of their Spring Break disappearance story... If you find Brian's case fascinating, like so many of us do, the psychic kids episode from A&E is interesting but by far the True Crime Garage podcast is very interesting with things I've never heard of before.

QUOTE=osu;12436400]Thank you. I will look up the True Crime Garage podcast on Brian Shaffer.

I will say, and this is just my opinion after doing some hardcore research this weekend.. But what I've been reading about this "Smiley face killer" some of the similarities are chilling. JMO

This case is just so frustrating to me on so many levels... It's like several people here are clearly just trying to help, but those close to the case are just turning us down every step of the way- why? I've noticed a few of my comments have been deleted, but to me I don't think I've violated any of the "terms".

Personally, I don't think the update was much of anything- there are more unanswered questions with the new update than there were before IMO. It sounds like someone was just worried the was going to get turned in so hurry and say something.

I fear the case is going cold. It takes more than FB to make the public aware of a missing person....handing out some flyers every few days is a good thought- but what is it really doing? The area doesn't seem to have been expanded further than the immediate short north, and everyone down that way has been seeing Joey's picture for weeks now.

And I just think the whole idea that LE has surveillance on someone in particular to be too far fetched. They've kept the public in the dark as far as other missing persons cases In the area that have yet to be solved. While I'm sure they know more than they're saying I highly doubt that they are any closer to solving this case than the rest of us are....

It really seems like those close to the case are treating us with hostility- which I hope isn't the case, but it really turns me off on wanting to help in any way- I feel like I'd just be doing something wrong and end up getting a bunch of negativity from just trying to help.

"in the dark as far as other missing persons cases In the area that have yet to be solved"

Other than Brian Shaffer and Joey, what other persons are missing from the Short North/Arena/campus area ? How often does this occur ?

The date definitely was not there when Joey got up from the table to go to the bar and disappeared. I don't know if the date was ever at Union with Joey and the others. I don't think it's been publicly released when they went their separate ways that night.

Regarding CPD still asking for surveillance tapes this long after the disappearance...that is borderline incompetence if true. Hopefully that meant they have broadened the radius beyond Short North to include other businesses?

Honestly, I'm grateful to the Dispatch for finally doing a follow up article, but it ultimately leaves more questions than answers. It sounds like CPD is absolutely nowhere on the investigation and this case is quickly running cold. Absolutely insane.

If the date was not there at the time Joey disappeared, that in my mind would make him subject to scrutiny. Some people don't take rejection very well, especially if they are seen flirting with someone other than them.

Does anyone else find it odd that CPD is still actively searching for surveillance footage weeks after his disappearance? Most DVR systems, depending on the amount of camera and hard drive capabilities will store taped footage for a week maximum. At what point is someone going to be done waiting and finally hire a professional PI to do their job and what they are experts in doing? We're going on almost a month now, this is ridiculous. Why haven't CPD released surveillance from Union that night if they claim it didn't yield any clues? I know several media outlets have requested that footage be released and yet it hasn't. Why?

I think this is the reason why the tapes have not been made public: there will be someone who will indeed find Joey on it -or- there will be someone who thinks they see him on it. Either one of those scenarios will be made public. That publicity will tip off whoever is responsible for this.

Does anyone else find it odd that CPD is still actively searching for surveillance footage weeks after his disappearance? Most DVR systems, depending on the amount of camera and hard drive capabilities will store taped footage for a week maximum. At what point is someone going to be done waiting and finally hire a professional PI to do their job and what they are experts in doing? We're going on almost a month now, this is ridiculous. Why haven't CPD released surveillance from Union that night if they claim it didn't yield any clues? I know several media outlets have requested that footage be released and yet it hasn't. Why?

They to this date have not released any video on zach I thought they should have right away could have triggered someones memory - was he with someone,?

Zach will be thrown into the accidently drwoned pile and forgotten

still have no med exam tox info ??

I will say, and this is just my opinion after doing some hardcore research this weekend.. But what I've been reading about this "Smiley face killer" some of the similarities are chilling. JMO

You are not alone!! Zach case got to me Smiley and I did a lot on it . I am not saying all case but like i mentioned earlier there are MO's to a lot of these. How law enforcment has not grasped that stuns me.

Hi Ninj!!!!!

What are your notions on this?

We all know perps have patterns. We all know that they like certain looks in thier victims. A lot of these guys are similiaar physicaly dark hair, cut short, the teeth ! , slim basically but in shape, etc etc

"in the dark as far as other missing persons cases In the area that have yet to be solved"

Other than Brian Shaffer and Joey, what other persons are missing from the Short North/Arena/campus area ? How often does this occur ?

I wasn't just speaking of the campus/short north area but rather Columbus as a whole. There are a few others (some female) missing from the area which I think LE have completely dropped the ball on.

I noticed the statistics that cpd posted saying 90% of cases were solved yada yada but I'd really like to see what cases they were referring to specifically- I'm just assuming but I have a hunch a good number of those are just teenage run-aways who eventually give up.

And in response to other commenters: I'm very sorry I feel the way I do too. I meant no harm by any of my comments, and I certainly was not trying place blame on anyone here.... But I just can't understand some things going on. In my opinion LE has had more than ample amount of time to sort this whole thing out, obviously something isn't working- so maybe a light bulb should switch on and tell ya to try another route....whatever that might be.

Also, with all these missing persons cases (Zach, Brian, and all the others)- it's so strange how they all connect...I like to consider myself still somewhat young- but even when I was a teen, I would have never thought to leave an establishment without knowing where all the people I came with were. How does this come about as normal? I was always under the impression of if you came with someone you left with them, or at least had them accounted for.

I wasn't just speaking of the campus/short north area but rather Columbus as a whole. There are a few others (some female) missing from the area which I think LE have completely dropped the ball on.

I noticed the statistics that cpd posted saying 90% of cases were solved yada yada but I'd really like to see what cases they were referring to specifically- I'm just assuming but I have a hunch a good number of those are just teenage run-aways who eventually give up.

And in response to other commenters: I'm very sorry I feel the way I do too. I meant no harm by any of my comments, and I certainly was not trying place blame on anyone here.... But I just can't understand some things going on. In my opinion LE has had more than ample amount of time to sort this whole thing out, obviously something isn't working- so maybe a light bulb should switch on and tell ya to try another route....whatever that might be.

Also, with all these missing persons cases (Zach, Brian, and all the others)- it's so strange how they all connect...I like to consider myself still somewhat young- but even when I was a teen, I would have never thought to leave an establishment without knowing where all the people I came with were. How does this come about as normal? I was always under the impression of if you came with someone you left with them, or at least had them accounted for.

Completly boggles my mind as well. Even if you met someone and were going to go home with them you would find your friends and let know!!

And typically that is after having people your with "review" the person privatly!!! "

DOnt remeber which one have read about too many lately but one was walking with four friends, it was raining. poof - never seen again??

Grateful for the Ignore List option! I was hoping that a reward and billboards might turn up something.

To piggyback on your statement of other missing people from Columbus...
Awhile back on this forum, I shared a link about other college age individuals that went missing from same area (campus/short north). What was eerie was that most of these people went missing in March as well.
http://thelantern.com/2003/01/string-of-murders-remains-unsolved/

This case is frustrating and I believe that we all feel that more should be done in regards to bringing Joey home. The more I think about it, the more I believe that CPD has got to have some answers to our questions. For whatever reason, the information is not being displayed to the public (which is particularly frustrating because everyone feels as though they are left in the dark).
I would think that the surveillance videos would have been reviewed within the first couple days after Joey's disappearance. I honestly think that the media has nothing new to say on the case and the article was written to satisfy the public. I would hope that the Scioto River would be thoroughly combed again.

10TV News had a very short segment (~30 seconds) on the early morning broadcast today about how the search for Joey continues. Almost fell of the treadmill as I certainly wasn't expecting it. No new info really but it's great to see Joey's face on TV even if for a second.

So there are "few clues to go on" according to the NBC story, but there also are no billboards, no reward for information offered, no P.I. involved, no further search parties, no FB page, possibly no other surveillance tapes checked...I'm sure I'm leaving out some other "No's" that don't come to mind right now...LE is either throwing up one hell of a smokescreen or things just aren't making sense at all.

ok fine whatever, I am assuming the bar was successful, it was busy

surveillance video obtained from the businesses (plural?)in the area Joey was last seen is very low quality- all businesses in that area have crap&y survellance??

why have them if they are the pitts. I bet your insurance goes down if you have them

These kinda statements are made in a lot of cases like this. They are cheap nowdays.

if there useless what is the point in terms of business owners??

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/search-enters-fourth-week-missing-columbus-man-joseph-labute-n546816

RE:So there are "few clues to go on" according to the NBC story, but there also are no billboards, no reward for information offered, no P.I. involved, no further search parties, no FB page, possibly no other surveillance tapes checked...I'm sure I'm leaving out some other "No's" that don't come to mind right now...LE is either throwing up one hell of a smokescreen or things just aren't making sense at all

I dont know in drugs or gangs or murders maybe I understand all this cop silence. It has been like that in a lot of these. If your looking for something, your keys, it helps to mention it to someone.

I do not understand in missing persons , when one is looking for something not letting the most amount of peopple you can know what you know . It seems counter productive, in missing persons cases IMO

Unfortunately, based on the sheer probability, Joey LaBute and Brian Shaffer are dead. They were very young, and do not fit the profile of those who voluntarily go missing. The more time that passes, the less likely a body will be recovered. Brian's will probably never be found. Joey's - still possible. I just really hope the families have the closure they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974