Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ut-what-he-remembers-the-night-he-disappeared

Updated article w/video and there's a little more detail here about the events that night (directly from his cousin).

Excerpt:

"Reigle says he got LaBute a glass of water around midnight. He then watched him walk toward the bar and disappear into the crowd.

"I thought he was going to get another drink of water and he never came back," said Reigle.

20 minutes passed. Reigle thought LaBute either went home or to a friend's house. Worry set in when calls and texts weren't answered."​

I went to the search effort this morning that was organized by/with BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization). Columbus Police were there as well. They had everyone sign in/register and fill out a form including your drivers license number and SSN - was very happy to see that, this was a professionally organized search effort. They even had boxes of rubber gloves (think thin surgical kind) for people to take with them to their assigned grid. Local businesses donated snacks and sandwiches for the volunteers. Columbus is a big city, but when something happens, we become like a small town.

Going to get a little detailed here, mainly for my own records and because, if you've never been through a search like this before (like me), it's an overwhelming experience. I'm sure this will not be the first organized search, either, so if any experienced searchers have tips for me, please let me know for the next time. We paired off in groups of 4, 6, or 8 and got assigned an area, and the officer from CPD gave explicit instructions in what to do if anything of interest was found by a searcher. Beyond his clothing, it was literally just 'anything of interest.' Short North area is very urban but as most who have looked at the maps know, we have a river that cuts through our city, and I know that the section that runs through downtown was part of today's search effort (they had asked specifically for people comfortable with rougher terrain like a river's edge). The grid maps that they had laid out probably covered 30+ areas (one person from each team got the map, CPD kept a duplicate where we wrote our names on the back - they are clearly looking at everything from an evidentiary viewpoint - but I'm not sure just how big the radius was. While we walked to our grid location (about 6-8 blocks from where the search was headquartered at Stonewall Columbus), I know that many others drove to theirs.

My group was assigned an area not very far from Union that butts up against a park and was mainly residential. One of the streets was most likely the path that Joey would have walked to get from his car at Thurber Gate apts to Union, so special attention was paid there. My group of six paired off in twos (but were always within sight of the rest of the team) and it's a little overwhelming trying to decipher what's evidence and what's just trash/litter. I know that they pulled receipts from Union but what about cash receipts with no customer info? So I was looking at anything that could be a receipt to see if it was from Union and from that night. Looking in/around dumpsters and trash cans. Any areas of freshly disturbed earth or large leaf piles. Around plants and trees for anything that might have been tossed. At one point we came across a large area of debris with a lot of clothes and so dug through that (we do not know what shoes he was wearing, so it was just the jeans/tee/flannel shirt we were focused on). Keeping not just our eyes but our ears open, because while you don't want to think the worst, at the same time you have to if you're going to be hyper-aware during a search like that. If someone had a basement window that I could see through, you can bet that I was looking in it.

Of course if any of the teams had found anything, it will take time to ascertain if it was connected to Joey so I was not expecting anything definitive to be known today. So I cannot tell you anything like that at the moment. The only thing that I learned definitively, because there has been questions about it, is that the "I'm driving" phone call did occur, but I know no other details around it (did he sound distressed, etc). I do not know why that disappeared from the news reports after that first day while they continue to repeat everything else multiple times.

I was there when they first started registering people around 8am and when my group got back around 10:30, there were still people coming in for the first time to help. I'm sure that even now at this late evening hour, there are probably people down there. News crews were there this morning and we saw one interview his parents - I'm sure the others got their chance as well after I'd left, so local readers can watch for that on this tonight's broadcasts (channels 4, 6, and 10 were all there).

* The Arnold expo was going on, so parking in the apartment parking lot was the closest parking he could find (i would think).

* If i am correct, those apartments are private property. Therefore, only for residents only. Unless there is visitor parking. Does Joey know someone who lives there ?

* Wonder if the family has thought about getting a subpoena to see what texts and calls Joey received that night ? Wonder how that idea could be communicated to the family ? My cell phone carrier via the internet shows a breakdown of 'to' & 'from' phone numbers. Something prompted him to get up from the table and leave. He might have received a text from the person(s) letting him know they were outside waiting.

My understanding is he was parked on the street, which would have been public. He was most likely not in their parking lot.

I'm sure that the CPD is working the cell phone angle, and most people I know in CBus have Verizon or AT&T - Verizon I know will require a subpoena for those records (at least they did when I worked there many years back).

Channel 6 news 6pm broadcast did a segment on today's searched and said, "police are following up on some areas of interest." That tells me one or more groups must have found something that the police deemed worthy of additional investigation.

Do not see updated story online yet, will link when I see it.

Granville huh?

Not only is there a small town in Licking County, Ohio called Johnstown, there is also a small college town called Granville in Licking County.

Denison University is in Granville, Ohio.

I thought the same thing at first...but this Granville is Granville, NY.

Thinking of Joey, hoping they find him. I hope it's all a big misunderstanding of some kind...and I hope I'm wrong in assuming that the person behind the Brian Shaffer disappearance is also behind Joey LaBute's disappearance. But, that's the first thing I thought when I saw Joey's story. He looks similar to Brian, was the same age, and also disappeared from a crowded setting filled with police officers and security cameras.
My gut tells me if they find out what happened to Joey, they find out what happened to Brian...

So whenever we go anywhere and meet with friends, where we parked and how much money it was, how faraway, how dangerous it seems, etc are topics of discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess for our family, it is. I was just wondering if they had all arrived and parked at the same time and in the same general area. I know the parking situation can be crazy at Times in Columbus.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ut-what-he-remembers-the-night-he-disappeared

Updated article w/video and there's a little more detail here about the events that night (directly from his cousin).

Excerpt:

"Reigle says he got LaBute a glass of water around midnight. He then watched him walk toward the bar and disappear into the crowd.

"I thought he was going to get another drink of water and he never came back," said Reigle.

20 minutes passed. Reigle thought LaBute either went home or to a friend's house. Worry set in when calls and texts weren't answered."​

I went to the search effort this morning that was organized by/with BRAVO (Buckeye Region Anti-Violence Organization). Columbus Police were there as well. They had everyone sign in/register and fill out a form including your drivers license number and SSN - was very happy to see that, this was a professionally organized search effort. They even had boxes of rubber gloves (think thin surgical kind) for people to take with them to their assigned grid. Local businesses donated snacks and sandwiches for the volunteers. Columbus is a big city, but when something happens, we become like a small town.

Going to get a little detailed here, mainly for my own records and because, if you've never been through a search like this before (like me), it's an overwhelming experience. I'm sure this will not be the first organized search, either, so if any experienced searchers have tips for me, please let me know for the next time. We paired off in groups of 4, 6, or 8 and got assigned an area, and the officer from CPD gave explicit instructions in what to do if anything of interest was found by a searcher. Beyond his clothing, it was literally just 'anything of interest.' Short North area is very urban but as most who have looked at the maps know, we have a river that cuts through our city, and I know that the section that runs through downtown was part of today's search effort (they had asked specifically for people comfortable with rougher terrain like a river's edge). The grid maps that they had laid out probably covered 30+ areas (one person from each team got the map, CPD kept a duplicate where we wrote our names on the back - they are clearly looking at everything from an evidentiary viewpoint - but I'm not sure just how big the radius was. While we walked to our grid location (about 6-8 blocks from where the search was headquartered at Stonewall Columbus), I know that many others drove to theirs.

My group was assigned an area not very far from Union that butts up against a park and was mainly residential. One of the streets was most likely the path that Joey would have walked to get from his car at Thurber Gate apts to Union, so special attention was paid there. My group of six paired off in twos (but were always within sight of the rest of the team) and it's a little overwhelming trying to decipher what's evidence and what's just trash/litter. I know that they pulled receipts from Union but what about cash receipts with no customer info? So I was looking at anything that could be a receipt to see if it was from Union and from that night. Looking in/around dumpsters and trash cans. Any areas of freshly disturbed earth or large leaf piles. Around plants and trees for anything that might have been tossed. At one point we came across a large area of debris with a lot of clothes and so dug through that (we do not know what shoes he was wearing, so it was just the jeans/tee/flannel shirt we were focused on). Keeping not just our eyes but our ears open, because while you don't want to think the worst, at the same time you have to if you're going to be hyper-aware during a search like that. If someone had a basement window that I could see through, you can bet that I was looking in it.

Of course if any of the teams had found anything, it will take time to ascertain if it was connected to Joey so I was not expecting anything definitive to be known today. So I cannot tell you anything like that at the moment. The only thing that I learned definitively, because there has been questions about it, is that the "I'm driving" phone call did occur, but I know no other details around it (did he sound distressed, etc). I do not know why that disappeared from the news reports after that first day while they continue to repeat everything else multiple times.

I was there when they first started registering people around 8am and when my group got back around 10:30, there were still people coming in for the first time to help. I'm sure that even now at this late evening hour, there are probably people down there. News crews were there this morning and we saw one interview his parents - I'm sure the others got their chance as well after I'd left, so local readers can watch for that on this tonight's broadcasts (channels 4, 6, and 10 were all there).

Thanks for this post and for volunteering at the search. My heart breaks for his family. I just can't even imagine what it's like to be in this type of situation. The not knowing has to be so overwhelming and emotionally exhausting. Its so sad.

Yes!!!!!
We just went to a family member's wedding last weekend in Austin,TX, my family (me, my hub, my kids & my parents) had never been to Austin so when we showed up at the hotel, that was the first thing others asked us: "Where did y'all park?" "How much did it cost?"...we opted for valet at the hotel versus a parking lot area (I read WS & know all about what happens in parking lots & parking garages--No thank you) plus I didn't want to have to walk to/from in heels!!!

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.
I totally agree with you. My family always does the same thing. I thought this was normal lol

Taradiane, THANK YOU for the search updates!

Welcome to all the new members!

Someone up thread mentioned possibility of roofie being given to JL. The last jumbled text and the quick "I'm driving" could indicate just that. But where did JL go from there? Since his car was found, and if he really was driving, it had to have been someone else's car. That someone else needs to come forward with information.

:candle:

* If i am correct, those apartments are private property. Therefore, only for residents only. Unless there is visitor parking. Does Joey know someone who lives there ?

Having spoken with a couple of his family members, I found out that his car was parked IN the lot. He apparently used to live in that complex a couple of years ago and took the pass when he moved. Most likely because parking in the Short North is absolutely horrible, especially when a big convention is going on.

(modsnip) I'm assuming that the normal route one would take from this lot to Union would be to cut back behind the dumpsters, walk past the dog park and go straight up to Neil Ave and cross through the park. But he could have also cut through the Giant Eagle parking lot and walked up Buttles Ave, cross High St, turn left and then walk to Union. That's the route that my husband and I usually go.

Someone above also mentioned discussing with friends about where they parked and how dangerous it seemed when they go out. Victorian Village and the Short North is a very safe area for the most part. The only thing I've ever seen go in here is my car getting broken into twice, but we had parked on the street and it was always after OSU games.

I was also a part of the search today. Our group didn't turn up anything but it seems like some people may have found some leads. There were almost 200 people who showed up to help in this search effort. It was amazing. This community really comes together when something happens. I just really hope that anything that as found today will help with finding him.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...unteers-seek-clues-in-mans-disappearance.html

Nearly 200 volunteers combed through the neighborhoods of the Short North and Arena District on Saturday morning in search of clues to the disappearance of a 26-year-old man who has been missing for a week.

Snip

Volunteers gathered early Saturday morning at the Short North headquarters of Stonewall Columbus, an advocacy and programming organization for central Ohio's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. After registering, volunteers were divided into groups that heard from a Columbus police officer before searching an assigned area.

The Short North, Victorian Village, Italian Village and Arena District were divided into 41 areas to be searched, said Sam Schisler, chief marketing officer for Union Cafe.

He said police received a number of leads from participants. "It was overwhelming, all of the support of the community," he said.

Among items that police instructed volunteers to look for were a wallet, cell phone and articles of clothing that matched what LaBute was last seen wearing _ an off-white flannel shirt with reddish-maroon stripe, greyish undershirt and light-colored jeans. They were instructed to call police to the scene of any possible clues.

I get "Kingston" in my auto correct to the "jibberish" text, but it also allows me to send the weird letter combo to

Taradiane, THANK YOU for the search updates!

Welcome to all the new members!

Someone up thread mentioned possibility of roofie being given to JL. The last jumbled text and the quick "I'm driving" could indicate just that. But where did JL go from there? Since his car was found, and if he really was driving, it had to have been someone else's car. That someone else needs to come forward with information.

:candle:
If he was driving like he said he was (not lying), then that means the owner of the car (or whoever) was comfortable enough to allow Joey behind the wheel. I wouldn't let someone behind the wheel of my car unless i know them. This means they know each other. Why wouldn't the other person come forward ? Perhaps because it was in their car that Joey came up missing ? That would make them the prime suspect.

So, we have two people missing...Joey & the other person

If he was driving like he said he was (not lying), then that means the owner of the car (or whoever) was comfortable enough to allow Joey behind the wheel. I wouldn't let someone behind the wheel of my car unless i know them. This means they know each other. Why wouldn't the other person come forward ? Perhaps because it was in their car that Joey came up missing ? That would make them the prime suspect.

So, we have two people missing...Joey & the other person

I'm confused on the "I'm driving" call. When the family member called, did he answer and just say, "I'm driving", then hang up? Or, was there an actual conversation? If there was only "I'm driving" I'm wondering if it was even Joey that answered. Just my thoughts.

I doubt this is related---but ya never know---a guy witnessed something listed under Saturday March 5th @ 12:30am

http://blendontwp.org/police-department-activity/

:thinking:

Are your referring to: 12:32am - Male appeared to be in distress at business on Sunbury Rd. and stated he witnessed a crime in Columbus Police jurisdiction. CPD officers transported the man to further investigate. ???

I doubt this is related---but ya never know---a guy witnessed something listed under Saturday March 5th @ 12:30am

http://blendontwp.org/police-department-activity/

:thinking:

This one?

12:32am - Male appeared to be in distress at business on Sunbury Rd. and stated he witnessed a crime in Columbus Police jurisdiction. CPD officers transported the man to further investigate.​

I'm confused on the "I'm driving" call. When the family member called, did he answer and just say, "I'm driving", then hang up? Or, was there an actual conversation? If there was only "I'm driving" I'm wondering if it was even Joey that answered. Just my thoughts.
This has been exactly what I've been thinking. Was it even him who answered?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member