GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I heard this news conference yesterday -- two Seattle area high school boys died after taking counterfeit Oxy pills (laced with fentanyl). Makes me sick! Several deaths reported a couple weeks ago in Eastern WA also by counterfeit Oxy.

Is there no end to this?

Counterfeit pills laced with fentanyl causing numerous deaths in Yakima County

Two 16-year-old boys, both students at Skyline High School in Sammamish, died seven weeks apart after taking counterfeit oxycodone tablets laced with fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid 50 times more potent than heroin, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.

One boy died Aug. 11 and the other died Monday, King County Sheriff Mitzi Johanknecht said at a news briefing Wednesday, flanked by Sammamish's mayor, police chief and other public officials.

The 16-year-old who died Monday was one of six deaths — five males and one female, ages 16 to 37 — who have died from fentanyl overdoses in the past week across King County, a number that includes a Seattle teenager, said Brad Finegood, a strategic adviser and drug expert for Seattle-King County Public Health. Between June and mid-September, another 141 people in King County have died from suspected or confirmed drug overdoses involving fentanyl, he said. bbm

[...]

Fentanyl is tasteless and odorless and has been found in blue, white and pale green pills stamped with an “M” on one side a “30” on the other, mimicking the stamps found on legitimate oxycodone tablets, Finegood said. Other pills have been stamped with K9, 215 and √48. He said the public should not trust any pills purchased on the streets, adding only oxycodone obtained from a doctor or pharmacist should be considered safe.

Sammamish officials ‘heartbroken’ over deaths of 2 Skyline High School students who overdosed on fentanyl

I’ve seen a lot of “marking my spot” posts in general, is this just a way to put this on your watched threads or? Just curious :)
Partly :)
Also a way to save your spot in the thread to indicate you've read up to that point.
This case is moving slowly and I personally find that depressing.
Much more so for Jonathan's family.

Johnathon you should be at your Homecoming football game, studying for mid terms, carving a pumpkin and trying to figure out the corn maze with your fiends. Breaks my heart you’ll never be able to do those things. Blessings to your parents.

O/T and not related to Jonathan, but just wanted to share this article to show how easy and quick a fentanyl overdose could be. Something similar could have happened to Jonathan IMO.

Upstate family says woman died after taking pill unknowingly laced with fentanyl

So much truth to this article -- thanks for sharing.

This victim may have been offered a pain pill for her toothache from a trusted source, where not even the source would know it was counterfeit.

The influx of counterfeit pain meds flooding the States come complete with pharmaceutical markings on the shell! Not until it's too late are they found to be laced with fentanyl.

Condolences to victims family and friends. :(

Monday, November 18th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 2pm ET) – OH – Jonathon E. Minard (14) (last seen going to farm to milk cows, 4/13/19 Washington Township near New Harrisburg, found in shallow grave on the farm on 4/19/19) - *Matthew Herbert Little (30) indicted, arrested & charged (9/5/19) with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter, 2 counts corruption of another with drugs, 1 count of tampering with evidence, 1 count of cross abuse of a corpse, 2 counts of permitting drug use, 1 count of endangering children, 1 count of reckless homicide, 1 count of possession of heroin, 1 count of falsification & 1 count of failure to report knowledge of a death. Plead not guilty. $10M bond was reduced (9/11/19) to $1M.
9/5/19 Update: Arraignment on 9/10. 9/10/19 Update: Arraignment moved to 9/11.
9/11/19 Update: Plead not guilty to all charges. Motion for bond reduction granted. From $10M to $1M on several conditions, including an ankle monitor. Little must remain on his farm property and within 500 yards of his home. He also can't have any contact with the Minard family. A pretrial is scheduled for Oct. 1.
10/1/19 Update: Parents posted 10% of $1M bond-bonded out (10/1/19). Conditions of bond: He was to maintain his address, report as directed to pretrial release, not leave Ohio, other standard pretrial release conditions, not engage in any illegal activity or use any controlled substances, appear for all proceedings, no contact with any victims or witnesses, and he was subject to GPS monitoring. Next pretrial hearing 11/18.

Judge reduces defendant's bond in Jonathan Minard case

Carroll County Common Pleas Judge Michael V. Repella II agreed Monday to a defense request to lower the bond for Matthew H. Little, who’s accused of being responsible for the fentanyl-overdose death of 14-year-old Jonathan Minard in April.

The judge agreed to drop bond from $1 million to $800,000.

But he ruled in a pretrial hearing that lasted about six minutes that the portion of that amount posted by Little’s parents, $20,000, can only be transferred to Little’s attorneys to cover the costs of retaining expert defense witnesses.

Repella also ruled that all restrictions set by the court, including Little having to always wear a GPS tracking ankle bracelet and getting the court’s permission to go more than 500 yards from his family’s farm, are to remain in effect.

A little bit more in the article.

I don't think I've ever seen this before: Initial bail for ML was set at $10M and after it was reduced to $1M he was released after his parents paid 10% required or $100,000-- being held by the Clerk of Courts.

In a hearing Monday - his attorney requested ML's bond reduced another $200,000 to free up $20,000 of the monies held by the Clerk of Court to be used for experts hired by his lawyers. Judge agreed after hearing the argument that ML is indigent and the County would have to pay the expert witnesses.

Judge reduces defendant's bond in Jonathan Minard case

Nov 18, 2019

CARROLLTON
Carroll County Common Pleas Judge Michael V. Repella II agreed Monday to a defense request to lower the bond for Matthew H. Little, who’s accused of being responsible for the fentanyl-overdose death of 14-year-old Jonathan Minard in April.

The judge agreed to drop bond from $1 million to $800,000.

But he ruled in a pretrial hearing that lasted about six minutes that the portion of that amount posted by Little’s parents, $20,000, can only be transferred to Little’s attorneys to cover the costs of retaining expert defense witnesses.

Repella also ruled that all restrictions set by the court, including Little having to always wear a GPS tracking ankle bracelet and getting the court’s permission to go more than 500 yards from his family’s farm, are to remain in effect.

[...]

Repella also set another pretrial hearing for 2:30 p.m. Dec. 18 by which time he said he wants to set a trial date for Little and have a timeline for motions to be filed by both sides.

@Niner

The 30-year-old defendant faces two counts of involuntary manslaughter and charges of possession of heroin, reckless homicide, corrupting another with drugs, furnishing marijuana, tampering with evidence, gross abuse of a corpse, falsification and failing to report knowledge of a death. He has pleaded not guilty.

bolding mine

Thanks everyone for the updates !
So ML has money for drugs but is penniless when it comes to hiring a lawyer.
At least his parents are in his corner.
Smh.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking - indigent??? Seriously, you can mooch off your parents, afford to buy drugs, be stupid enough to give them to a child, and you get called "indigent" - what a joke. I hope they bury him under the prison, in a far away state that nobody ever wants to go to.

Yup -- his lawyer says he has no assets besides his truck. Prosecutor didn't object and said if he's indigent then the County would have to pay for his expert witnesses.

ML is back on the farm, comfy mooching off his folks and Jonathan is dead. :mad:

bolding mine

Thanks everyone for the updates !
So ML has money for drugs but is penniless when it comes to hiring a lawyer.
At least his parents are in his corner.
Smh.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking - indigent??? Seriously, you can mooch off your parents, afford to buy drugs, be stupid enough to give them to a child, and you get called "indigent" - what a joke. I hope they bury him under the prison, in a far away state that nobody ever wants to go to.

Looks like he is out on bond....

11/19/2019 JUDGMENT ENTRY FILED. PRE-TRIAL. THIS MATTER CONTINUED FOR FURTHER PRE-TRIAL ON DECEMBER 18, 2019 AT 2:30 P.M. BOND WAS MODIFIED BY SEPARATE ENTRY.
COPY THE PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, COPY TO THE PROSECUTOR FOR ATTY. WHITAKER, ADULT PROBATION AND VICTIM'S ASSISTANCE $10.00 $10.00

11/21/2019 JUDGMENT ENTRY FILED; THE COURT MODIFIES DEFENDANT MATTHEW LITTLE'S BOND BY 20%. THE COURT FURTHER ORDERS THAT A CHECK IN THE AMOUNT BE ISSUED, MADE PAYABLE TO WILLIAM T WHITAKER CO LPA AND SENT TO THE ATTENTION OF MR. LITTLE'S COUNSEL, WILLIAM T WHITAKER. THIS MONEY SHALL BE DEPOSITED INTO COUNSEL'S IOLTA ACOUNT AND IS TO BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECURING EXPERTS IN THIS MATTER. DEFENDANT'S BOND IS NOW $800,000.00 WITH 10% FEATURE - $80,000.00 CASH BOND IS BEING HELD ON DEPOSIT BY THE CLERK'S OFFICE.

COPY TO THE PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, CARROLL COUNTY SHERIFF AND TO CARROLL COUNTY ADULT PROBATION $2.00 $2.00

11/21/2019 20% OF THE CASH BOND WAS ORDERED RELEASED TO WILLIAM T. WHITAKER CO LPA C/O WILLIAM T. WHITAKER ESQ, 54 E. MILL STREET SUITE 301, AKRON OH 44308 $20,000.00 $0.00

11/21/2019 Issue Date: 11/21/2019
Service: CASH BOND
Method: CERTIFIED ENVELOPE
Cost Per: $11.00

WILLIAM T WHITAKER CO LPA
C/O WILLIAM T. WHITAKER ESQ
54 E MILL STREET SUITE 301
AKRON, OH 44308
Tracking No: 71901812698001651939

$11.00 $11.00
11/27/2019 SUCCESSFUL SERVICE
Method : CERTIFIED ENVELOPE