GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The thing is, he will go back to jail whenever he gets out. This dude will never get his life together, that's if he even survives much more.

Perhaps. He's gotten away with a lot of mistakes in his life so far.

@Seattle1, yes Jonathan Minard died from an overdose of fentanyl mixed with another drug. Most likely, one of the pills you read about made to look like oxycontin. Those tend to cause a lot of overdoses as it takes a very small amount to cause death.

The autopsy was conducted by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner (as they do autopsies for many small counties nearby).

The Carroll County Coroner ruled it a "homicide" by acute fentanyl intoxication

Jonathan Minard: Ohio Teen’s Death Ruled Homicide by Fentanyl Intoxication | Heavy.com

Though Jonathan died on April 13. 2019 and his body was found 6 days later, the county coroner didn't announce the autopsy results until July.

The county prosecutor watered it down considerably. Without a timely investigation, evidence was removed and destroyed and LE was unable to determine how Jonathan accessed the fentanyl. "Only God knows". I find that quote from the prosecutor offensive. JMO.

Now that the trial is over, I hope the news media and public will be able to access information about what LE found in their investigation. It would be terrible if this happened to another innocent person.

Perhaps. He's gotten away with a lot of mistakes in his life so far.

@Seattle1, yes Jonathan Minard died from an overdose of fentanyl mixed with another drug. Most likely, one of the pills you read about made to look like oxycontin. Those tend to cause a lot of overdoses as it takes a very small amount to cause death.

The autopsy was conducted by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner (as they do autopsies for many small counties nearby).

The Carroll County Coroner ruled it a "homicide" by acute fentanyl intoxication

Jonathan Minard: Ohio Teen’s Death Ruled Homicide by Fentanyl Intoxication | Heavy.com

Though Jonathan died on April 13. 2019 and his body was found 6 days later, the county coroner didn't announce the autopsy results until July.

The county prosecutor watered it down considerably. Without a timely investigation, evidence was removed and destroyed and LE was unable to determine how Jonathan accessed the fentanyl. "Only God knows". I find that quote from the prosecutor offensive. JMO.

Now that the trial is over, I hope the news media and public will be able to access information about what LE found in their investigation. It would be terrible if this happened to another innocent person.
Especially another child. :(

The thing is, he will go back to jail whenever he gets out. This dude will never get his life together, that's if he even survives much more.
Interesting. I also get the feeling that ML will not survive much longer.

Thanks for the update. Disappointed in the deal.

Yes, he got quite a bit of favorable treatment. I hope his family files a lawsuit against him and his family. Disgusting of him to blame Jonathan for his own death.

At least he is actually incarcerated (for now) at the state prison in Marion, OH. He should not be allowed out for any reason.

Offender Details

Last edited:
“I can’t think of anything more cowardly than what you did after Jonathan died,” Repella said.

“You took the coward’s way out. You tried to lie and you kept lying until they caught you red-handed.”

Repella vowed that the defendant would serve a minimum of six years.

“You put my son under a cow like he was trash,” Brooke Moreland, the victim’s mother, said. “I wouldn’t even do that to my dog.”

Man Sentenced For Giving 14-Year-Old Boy Fatal Dose Of Fentanyl And Burying Body In Shallow Grave Under A Cow

Matthew Little pleaded guilty to numerous charges in Carroll County

10/26/20

During his opportunity to speak, Little told the court that "I never should have let (Minard) around drugs and my friends — he was my responsibility."

"... When I got back in the house from the farm and found his body on the couch, I should have called you right away and called the police," Little told Minard's mother while reading a statement. "I was afraid I would get in trouble and I lied."
99c83d54-4341-435f-aaaf-936af51d2f19-Matthew_Little_plea.jpg

'Complete closure never comes'

Monday's resolution in the case followed more than a year of hearings, court filings and changing trial dates.

The Carroll County Prosecutor’s Office reached the plea agreement on the same day Little's trial was scheduled to begin with jury selection.

Prosecutor Steven D. Barnett told the judge he had discussed the agreement with the victim's mother, adding the resolution would guarantee a prison term and avoid the risk of a trial.

Several of the charges in the original 15-count indictment were dismissed as part of the agreement.

"No sentence can undo the tremendous loss to Jonathan's family, but we take some solace in the assurance that Little is held accountable to the law for his reckless disregard for Jonathan's life and well-being," Barnett said in a news release issued after the plea hearing.

Who provided the drugs?

Following the hearing, defense attorney William Whitaker said his client took responsibility for his crimes and was genuinely remorseful about his friend's death.

"We think it was a fair resolution of the case," said Whitaker, who along with his daughter, attorney Andrea Whitaker, represented Little.

[..]

However, the attorney emphasized the defendant did not plead guilty to charges holding him responsible for providing the fentanyl-related drug mixture that killed the Dellroy boy.

Whitaker said dismissed charges included a separate involuntary manslaughter count for corrupting another person by drugs. The attorney said evidence in the case doesn't show his client gave drugs to Minard that caused the boy's death.

Barnett acknowledged that point.

Whitaker declined to comment on the question of who provided drugs to Minard, who was a seventh-grader at the time of his death and had been born in Canton.

Barnett, meanwhile, said that "we just can't conclusively prove or disprove" who gave Minard the drugs that killed him.

The prosecutor said the underlying child endangering charge Little pleaded guilty to involves placing a child at risk of serious physical harm that results in the juvenile's death.

Of the time it took to reach a resolution, Barnett said "it was a complex case" with various legal issues and attempts by the defense to suppress evidence.

"That process took some time," he said.

What an awful person. I feel so badly for Brooke Moorland (JM's mom). Reportedly, she was very close to the accused and his family -- the betrayal so painful. Sure she feels like she lost two sons. I said this before -- I doubt Little will learn anything from this. He'll whine the entire time he's locked up... MOO

Moreland spoke about how her family had loved Little. She told of the affection her son felt for Little and how the boy enjoyed working at the Little family farm in Washington Township, just outside Carrollton.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back