Found Safe OH - Katarina Bitterman, 17, Parma, 4 March 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Great news!

What an emotional night. Katarina safe, but they found Toni Andersons car in MO, and it is not looking good :(

Well, I think that was certainly most of our first impressions, but as time drew on it seemed less hopeful.

Just goes to show you. No matter HOW many people say she would never have done that, she did it.

Glad she's found safe. Interesting the man she was with was arrested, and yet she was found "unharmed".

BBM

What did she do?

I can't find any details on how she ended up inSalem.

Keep in mind that consent is a different thing entirely than removing a minor across state lines. And it is possible that she went willingly, and it is still possible she didn't. So we should probably just see what, if anything, further comes out. But I'm very happy that she is safe and that her parents aren't going through that agony any more.

Irish eyes may be onto something here-
She may be old enough to consent but he may be in trouble for taking the minor across state lines.
Who knows though, maybe she was kidnapped. It'll be interesting to see if and when it does come out.

I don't think police would arrest a 19 yr old man for the sole reason of having a relationship with a 17 yr old girl? They're only two years apart? I'm unsure what the age of consent is in Ohio. Anyone know?
If they are looking to extradite him from mass to Ohio , what degree charges could he be facing?
Let me reword that- would they extradite him for a 4th degree charge or would it have to be more serious for then to bother?
Again I'm not familiar with the law in that state so I'm asking if any of you guys reading are?
What class of charges would warrant extradition back to Ohio ? Would they waste their time extraditing him for a misdemeanor crime or would it have to be more serious?
The reason I'm asking is that it will help narrow down what he could possibly be charged with.

Per what I've read, extradition can be triggered by everything from petty offenses to the more obvious ones (murder etc). That being said, extradition is expensive and timely, and its MOO that they wouldn't extradite for something small in scale...unless trying to make an example out of the 19 yo. I'm very curious as to what happened...sad to see her being crucified on SM before we actually know if she left of her own will. I really enjoyed your well-written, thoughtful and insightful posts btw.

http://www.shestokas.com/general-law/interstate-extradition-in-the-united-states/

Keep in mind that consent is a different thing entirely than removing a minor across state lines. And it is possible that she went willingly, and it is still possible she didn't. So we should probably just see what, if anything, further comes out. But I'm very happy that she is safe and that her parents aren't going through that agony any more.

Of course and I completely agree.

(I brought the voluntary part into it because of the Abby and Libby thread. Some were wondering why LE was sort of slow to perhaps react. It's a reaction to many LE in different states to wonder if it's at first a runaway, etc.)

I'm happy for her and her parents. I felt so bad for them in their interview.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this 19 yr old man.
Did he abduct her?
Or did she go willingly and he harbored her?

I just can't see them so quickly charging and extraditing a 19-year-old Massachusan for crimes like harboring a runaway or interference with child custody. IMO, there is something at least a bit more sinister going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not how I expected this to go. Be well, young lady!

I went back to the interview with the parents and I'm wondering something. They said when they left that Kat was going to take a nap and then work on her project. 2 hours later they called and got no answer. They thought that this was out of character for Kat and turned around immediately and drove back.

Is this not a bit over the top? I mean it was only 2 hours without talking to her and already they are on high alert and driving back? To me, that seems a little extreme. Maybe not, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I have to wonder if maybe Kat left of her own design due to some "stuff" at home.

I'm just wondering....... MOO
Apologies in advance if this has been said, but, this tells me that either they didn't trust her, like maybe they thought she had something up her sleeve when she told them her plans, or yes, way over the top!

Doesn't matter if she agreed to go with him. She's 17 and he's 19- he will get charged with kidnapping or whatever . I'm sure that it may get pled down.
I work in the courts- and used to work in juvenile court - if this were to happen , 19 year old would be held responsible and prosecuted .

Well they must be flooded with relief - but when the thrill subsides, I'm not sure I could ever have quite the same relationship with her again.
Parent and child relationships are forever changing. In a year she will be 18.
However they handle this could affect their relationship for when she becomes an adult and moves away. Imho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder if the parents knew about her possibly being in Mass from LE and that is why the vigil was cancelled?
Glad she is located!

I wonder if the parents knew about her possibly being in Mass from LE and that is why the vigil was cancelled?
Glad she is located!

Guessing LE saw something on her phone/computer. Did she fly to Salem ? take a bus ? That would explain her taking her ID ? Guess we know who won't be taking care of the pups again...

Doesn't matter if she agreed to go with him. She's 17 and he's 19- he will get charged with kidnapping or whatever . I'm sure that it may get pled down.
I work in the courts- and used to work in juvenile court - if this were to happen , 19 year old would be held responsible and prosecuted .

I agree with you that her going willingly isn't the end of the inquiry. However, IMO, more than her being 17 is required for kidnapping to be applicable. I have bolded the subsection of the Ohio kidnapping statute that is tailored to the situation of a minor between the ages of 13 and 18. It requires causing physical harm or creating a substance risk of serious physical harm.

2905.01 Kidnapping.
(A) No person, by force, threat, or deception, or, in the case of a victim under the age of thirteen or mentally incompetent, by any means, shall remove another from the place where the other person is found or restrain the liberty of the other person, for any of the following purposes:

(1) To hold for ransom, or as a shield or hostage;

(2) To facilitate the commission of any felony or flight thereafter;

(3) To terrorize, or to inflict serious physical harm on the victim or another;

(4) To engage in sexual activity, as defined in section 2907.01 of the Revised Code, with the victim against the victim's will;

(5) To hinder, impede, or obstruct a function of government, or to force any action or concession on the part of governmental authority;

(6) To hold in a condition of involuntary servitude.

(B) No person, by force, threat, or deception, or, in the case of a victim under the age of thirteen or mentally incompetent, by any means, shall knowingly do any of the following, under circumstances that create a substantial risk of serious physical harm to the victim or, in the case of a minor victim, under circumstances that either create a substantial risk of serious physical harm to the victim or cause physical harm to the victim:

(1) Remove another from the place where the other person is found;

(2) Restrain another of the other person's liberty.

(C)

(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of kidnapping. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (C)(2) or (3) of this section, kidnapping is a felony of the first degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (C)(2) or (3) of this section, if an offender who violates division (A)(1) to (5), (B)(1), or (B)(2) of this section releases the victim in a safe place unharmed, kidnapping is a felony of the second degree.

(2) If the offender in any case also is convicted of or pleads guilty to a specification as described in section 2941.1422 of the Revised Code that was included in the indictment, count in the indictment, or information charging the offense, the court shall order the offender to make restitution as provided in division (B)(8) of section 2929.18 of the Revised Code and, except as otherwise provided in division (C)(3) of this section, shall sentence the offender to a mandatory prison term as provided in division (B)(7) of section 2929.14 of the Revised Code.

(3) If the victim of the offense is less than thirteen years of age and if the offender also is convicted of or pleads guilty to a sexual motivation specification that was included in the indictment, count in the indictment, or information charging the offense, kidnapping is a felony of the first degree, and, notwithstanding the definite sentence provided for a felony of the first degree in section 2929.14 of the Revised Code, the offender shall be sentenced pursuant to section 2971.03 of the Revised Code as follows:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the offender shall be sentenced pursuant to that section to an indefinite prison term consisting of a minimum term of fifteen years and a maximum term of life imprisonment.

(b) If the offender releases the victim in a safe place unharmed, the offender shall be sentenced pursuant to that section to an indefinite term consisting of a minimum term of ten years and a maximum term of life imprisonment.

(D) As used in this section:

(1) "Involuntary servitude" has the same meaning as in section 2905.31 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Sexual motivation specification" has the same meaning as in section 2971.01 of the Revised Code.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.29, HB 86, §1, eff. 9/30/2011.

Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.58, SB 235, §1, eff. 3/24/2011.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996; 2007 SB10 01-01-2008; 2008 HB280 04-07-2009.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2905.01v1

I don't think police would arrest a 19 yr old man for the sole reason of having a relationship with a 17 yr old girl? They're only two years apart? I'm unsure what the age of consent is in Ohio. Anyone know?
If they are looking to extradite him from mass to Ohio , what degree charges could he be facing?
Let me reword that- would they extradite him for a 4th degree charge or would it have to be more serious for then to bother?
Again I'm not familiar with the law in that state so I'm asking if any of you guys reading are?
What class of charges would warrant extradition back to Ohio ? Would they waste their time extraditing him for a misdemeanor crime or would it have to be more serious?
The reason I'm asking is that it will help narrow down what he could possibly be charged with.

In Ohio, a 17 year old and 19 year old can have a consensual sexual relationship. That doesn't mean that there isn't an interference with custody charge or a kidnapping charge. Taking a minor across state lines charges usually are dependent on what the purpose of taking them across State lines is, ie in the commission of a felony or for the purpose of committing a felony. As to extradition, that's up to the police agency where the charges arose. Some jurisdictions don't want to bother sending personnel out of State to retrieve someone if it is a less serious offense than others they have on their plate.

I have been following this case, but have not commented. I am so glad she is alive. This is certainly not how I thought it would end up. I'm wondering what his charges will be. It might be a situation of her leaving willingly, but the situation getting dangerous once gone. I wonder if she met him online. So many questions, but also relief.

I have been following this case, but have not commented. I am so glad she is alive. This is certainly not how I thought it would end up. I'm wondering what his charges will be. It might be a situation of her leaving willingly, but the situation getting dangerous once gone. I wonder if she met him online. So many questions, but also relief.

Ive watched almost every episode of Web of Lies on ID and wonder if its a case of this..met a guy online, set up a meet..maybe she thought she was meeting a nice kid for coffee somewhere and he turned out to be not nice and abducted her and has been keeping her at his house. We just dont know yet. I am very relieved she has been found alive, i honestly wasnt sure that she would be, it was looking grim. I guess now i know why no one would ever answer my question about if her phone was dead/on charge or not. That would have changed the path a lot.

Guessing LE saw something on her phone/computer. Did she fly to Salem ? take a bus ? That would explain her taking her ID ? Guess we know who won't be taking care of the pups again...
She took her key, also. Maybe she didn't expect to be gone so long...just a meet up in her area...maybe even for her birthday! That may have been why she was in a good mood when they left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back