GUILTY OH - Marcus Fiesel, 3, Union Township, 4 August 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, I agree; they should stick all three of them into a little closet together! And leave them!

I recently got into a debate with my Aunt about the Carrolls intentions when they left Marcus in the closet. She is sure that they meant to kill him and I'm not so sure. I decided to not argue with her about it.

In spite of all of the evil acts committed by human beings that I read about here on Websleuths and on the news, I still have trouble believing the worst about people until it has been proven to me. I am not trying to defend them and I hope that they get the most severe of punishments (I agree with the comments above about shutting them in a closet). But I want (or need) to try to understand what the heck they were thinking. Is it possible that they are stupid people who tied him up that way to keep him from hurting himself and to keep him from getting away and they didn't realize he would die if left in that heat? I am so suspicious that someone may have stopped in to feed him or at least check in on him since the Carrolls suddenly left the reunion at 3:00AM. I keep thinking that someone found him dead and called them and they came home. Hopefully an explanation for the sudden departure from the reunion will come out at some point because I keep getting stuck on that.

What do you all think?

mattsmom said:
I recently got into a debate with my Aunt about the Carrolls intentions when they left Marcus in the closet. She is sure that they meant to kill him and I'm not so sure. I decided to not argue with her about it.

In spite of all of the evil acts committed by human beings that I read about here on Websleuths and on the news, I still have trouble believing the worst about people until it has been proven to me. I am not trying to defend them and I hope that they get the most severe of punishments (I agree with the comments above about shutting them in a closet). But I want (or need) to try to understand what the heck they were thinking. Is it possible that they are stupid people who tied him up that way to keep him from hurting himself and to keep him from getting away and they didn't realize he would die if left in that heat? I am so suspicious that someone may have stopped in to feed him or at least check in on him since the Carrolls suddenly left the reunion at 3:00AM. I keep thinking that someone found him dead and called them and they came home. Hopefully an explaination for the sudden departure from the reunion will come out at some point because I keep getting stuck on that.

What do you all think?

I wondered about why they suddenly left at 3 am and I had wondered if the girlfriend left the reunion early to go home and check on the kids (I believe they may have left the 1 year old at home or somewhere else since they didn't bring either of the foster children to the reunion. I have a hard time believing that there could be another outsider who would be assigned to feed Marcus while they were gone.

I forgot to mention that I cannot think of a motive for them to kill him - he was their meal ticket after all and if they wanted to stop fostering him couldn't they call up their social worker and ask for him to be removed?

Originally posted by SewingDeb

I believe they may have left the 1 year old at home or somewhere else since they didn't bring either of the foster children to the reunion.
I also wonder about the 1 year old - he may have been left in a situation similar to Marcus. It's scary to think that both of them could have died.

mattsmom said:
I also wonder about the 1 year old - he may have been left in a situation similar to Marcus. It's scary to think that both of them could have died.

It really is scary. I hope they at least found someone to watch the 1 year old while they were gone.

You're right about Marcus being their meal ticket. They may not have meant for him to die but just binding him like that and leaving him in the closet for days would be a felony I believe. A death that occurs during the commission of a felony brings a murder charge in most states, so it really doesn't matter whether they meant for him to die or not.

Originally posted by SewingDeb

A death that occurs during the commission of a felony brings a murder charge in most states, so it really doesn't matter whether they meant for him to die or not.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't realize that their intent won't matter (if Ohio's laws don't let us down).

mattsmom said:
I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't realize that their intent won't matter (if Ohio's laws don't let us down).

I'm in NC so I'm not sure of the laws there...just speaking in general. I'm assuming the indictment came about because it is that way there.

Maybe someone from that state who knows the law will let us know for sure.

mattsmom said:
I forgot to mention that I cannot think of a motive for them to kill him - he was their meal ticket after all and if they wanted to stop fostering him couldn't they call up their social worker and ask for him to be removed?
I'm not sure they INTENDED to kill him, either. I do believe INTENT to kill has to be there in order for them to receive the death penalty; which they will not qualify for. They left him with a fan; which, in my opinion, shows they didn't want him to die. They just didn't want to fool with him being along with them. I am thinking they probably wrapped him in the blanket to reduce injuries he might have gotten from thrashing around. None of that matters to me, though. They had to know he would be suffering from hunger and thirst and going to the bathroom on himself and they just didn't care. I wish they DID qualify for death penalty; they are disgusting people that are of no use to our society.

Something good out of something bad. This is not directly related to the Marcus Fiesel case except for the fact that the police officer involved asked extra questions and took action in part because of Marcus. The officer (Deputy Dave Vargo) helped in the search for Marcus. So after an employee of a photo lab recently called him to look at some photos, Deputy Vargo took action. This foster mother was seen in the photos holding a bong over her mouth while lighting the pipe. That is bad enough but what upset Deputy Vargo is the fact that her 9 month old foster daughter was also in the pic. The 9 month old and a 1 year old foster son were both removed from that foster home yesterday.

Kudos to Deputy Dave Vargo!!

Unfortunately this is another huge bemish on the foster care system in my part of Ohio.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060921/NEWS01/609210355

mattsmom said:
Something good out of something bad. This is not directly related to the Marcus Fiesel case except for the fact that the police officer involved asked extra questions and took action in part because of Marcus. The officer (Deputy Dave Vargo) helped in the search for Marcus. So after an employee of a photo lab recently called him to look at some photos, Deputy Vargo took action. This foster mother was seen in the photos holding a bong over her mouth while lighting the pipe. That is bad enough but what upset Deputy Vargo is the fact that her 9 month old foster daughter was also in the pic. The 9 month old and a 1 year old foster son were both removed from that foster home yesterday.

Kudos to Deputy Dave Vargo!!

Unfortunately this is another huge bemish on the foster care system in my part of Ohio.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060921/NEWS01/609210355

I heard about this case today from my mom who lives in Cincy.

It never seems to stop, does it? Where do these people come from? :doh:

Interesting ad under the foster mom's pic at the link....It asks "What kind of mom are you?"

How appropriate! :mad:

This makes me sick, sick, sick. I don't know about Ohio, but here in Texas and in most of the states, grandparents and family caring for kids can't get much at all in the way of help while these foster parents get up to $1,000 each for special needs kids. It's a disgrace. I take care of 4 kids and I got a total of $48 food stamps, the kids get medicare, and about $60 each cash. That's it unless I can get them on an SSI check for disabilities. While out one day I saw a foster mother with 3 kids. One of them had on wrinkled too small clothes and a little girls hair was dirty and uncombed. She probably gets lots of money while I get practically nothing and mine had on a cute ironed skirt and clean combed hair.

Originally posted by txsvicki

but here in Texas and in most of the states, grandparents and family caring for kids can't get much at all in the way of help while these foster parents get up to $1,000 each for special needs kids
It does seem wrong that so much money is given to foster parents to care for the children but I wonder if some of it is meant to be salary and not actually money for the children's expenses. I have mixed feelings about paying people to foster children because it would be best to have people take care of them that actually want to do it instead of people who are doing it because they need/want money. But I don't know if there are enough people out there who would do it for the minimum expense money only. You raise a good point about grandparents and family members not getting financial help. In many cases if they hadn't stepped in the children would be in foster care costing the system a lot of money. You would think that there would be a way to help them out with some kind of compensation.

Bless you for taking care of those little ones! You are their angel on earth.

I will start out by saying I hope that the foster parents of Marcus are punished to whatever extent the law can go. I will also say, this type of case is where I feel pro death penalty...

As per the foster parents making money off of fostering children, it is understandable to allow them money to care for the child, but I personally feel that the foster system needs a total overhaul in it's criteria for being a foster family (and in my opinion, I don't feel good about a private agency being involved). Our Child Protective Services are overworked, now our foster system is so overloaded that a county has a "sub contractor" for help in obtaining foster families? I just don't get it...? Our local school district is doing criminal background checks for those of us who wish to work in the classroom as a room helper, and yet people can just sign up and foster kids for money?

Does anyone have any ideas how those of us with a voice may be able to speak up and help along changes that need to be made? I am sick of the abuse of children, I am sick of children dying because of choices of where to place them on behalf of the powers that be... what can be done to help remedy this situation?

It looks as though Carroll still has the option to accept the plea deal.
http://wcpo.com/news/2007/local/02/01/carroll.html

Prosecution strategy
http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20070201/lo_wlwt/10891017

David Carroll's attorney's asked to be removed, but would not say why. all they would say was that it was for 'ethical reasons' and protected by attorney client priveleges. The judge refused.
David Carroll asked for his attorneys to be removed and the judge refused.
Trial watchers are now proposing theories as to what all the manuvering is about.

Stew mathews used to be a Hamilton County Prosecutor now he's a defense attorney. Mathews has no inside information about the Carroll case. Just experience about what ethical conflicts with clients are often about.

"I would guess he's proposing to do something that is different from what they know the truth to be>"

There is another conflict. David Carroll wants to testify at wife Liz's trial this month. His lawyers advise against it, but he has right to .

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=09f7d1aa-dae8-4fce-a252-0d7d16337c37

It's going to be an interesting trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back