OH OH - Michael Klitch, 12, Grandview Heights, 28 June 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At the Grandview Heights public library, I recently looked at the Grandview Heights Tri Village News weekly newspaper from 1971 on microfilm.

A few weeks prior to Mike’s abduction, an article in the Tri Village News from June 8, 1971 announced that a female tennis pro and instructor from the Columbus Indoor Tennis Club had been hired to serve as the city’s official tennis pro for Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff tennis buffs for that summer.

A week after the abduction, an article in the Tri Village News from July 6, 1971 mentioned the community’s concern about Mike’s disappearance. The article didn’t go into details about Mike’s disappearance but noted his family’s connections with the community.

The article mentioned that Mike’s father was a well known tennis pro and that Mike’s mother was a member of the Grandview Heights School Board. It also mentioned that the father of Mike’s mother was a realtor who sold real estate in Grandview Heights and that the cousin of Mike’s mother was a member of the Grandview Heights City Council.

An article in the Tri Village News on July 20, 1971 mentioned that 800 people had attended a memorial service for Michael Dean Klitch that was held during the previous week at a local church. The article mentioned that Mike was interested and active in tennis, baseball, and basketball. The newspaper also published a letter to the editor that the Klitch Family wrote thanking the community for their help and kindness during their ordeal.

Mike’s disappearance also caused public alarm and controversy in Grandview Heights.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on July 20, 1971, a concerned resident of Grandview Heights requested that the Grandview Heights City Council and Mayor put in effect an emergency measure to immediately have constant Male supervision at all tennis courts in Grandview Heights.

The concerned resident noted that since daily supervision was already available at the city swimming pool, there shouldn’t be any difference in having daily supervision at the city tennis courts.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on July 27, 1971, the Mayor of Grandview Heights advised the citizens of Grandview Heights that all city parks and tennis courts were constantly patrolled at all hours by the city Police Department.

The Mayor claimed that the city had a young man working six days a week from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. in each of the city parks and also believed that due to family reunions and large gatherings with many adults at the city parks and tennis courts on Sundays, it wasn’t necessary for the city to have coverage on Sundays.

The Mayor also claimed that there was an adult male with a radio equipped car working from 1:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M in the city parks and that the Recreation Commission also had a male supervisor seven days a week during each evening from 6:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. at the city tennis courts.

The Mayor also believed that the supervision and protection that was provided at the city parks and tennis courts was more than adequate.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on August 10, 1971, another concerned Grandview Heights resident questioned the Mayor’s belief that the supervision and protection provided at city parks and tennis courts was more than adequate.

The concerned resident wondered where the supervision was at a tennis court on the evening of July 29, 1971 after an incident involving a group of obnoxious boys and girls.

The concerned resident complained of unruly youths shouting profanities, throwing lighted firecrackers, and riding bicycles through the middle of the tennis court for almost an hour with no attempt from anyone at supervision.

The concerned resident also feared that if such behavior was allowed to continue, the city parks and tennis courts would not be fit for decent children and adults.

I also want to point out that the incident on July 29, 1971 that the concerned resident wrote about in the Tri Village News occurred at a different tennis court and it was not at the tennis court where Mike was last seen playing tennis on the afternoon of June 28, 1971.

At the Grandview Heights public library, I recently looked at the Grandview Heights Tri Village News weekly newspaper from 1971 on microfilm.

A few weeks prior to Mike’s abduction, an article in the Tri Village News from June 8, 1971 announced that a female tennis pro and instructor from the Columbus Indoor Tennis Club had been hired to serve as the city’s official tennis pro for Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff tennis buffs for that summer.

A week after the abduction, an article in the Tri Village News from July 6, 1971 mentioned the community’s concern about Mike’s disappearance. The article didn’t go into details about Mike’s disappearance but noted his family’s connections with the community.

The article mentioned that Mike’s father was a well known tennis pro and that Mike’s mother was a member of the Grandview Heights School Board. It also mentioned that the father of Mike’s mother was a realtor who sold real estate in Grandview Heights and that the cousin of Mike’s mother was a member of the Grandview Heights City Council.

An article in the Tri Village News on July 20, 1971 mentioned that 800 people had attended a memorial service for Michael Dean Klitch that was held during the previous week at a local church. The article mentioned that Mike was interested and active in tennis, baseball, and basketball. The newspaper also published a letter to the editor that the Klitch Family wrote thanking the community for their help and kindness during their ordeal.

Mike’s disappearance also caused public alarm and controversy in Grandview Heights.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on July 20, 1971, a concerned resident of Grandview Heights requested that the Grandview Heights City Council and Mayor put in effect an emergency measure to immediately have constant Male supervision at all tennis courts in Grandview Heights.

The concerned resident noted that since daily supervision was already available at the city swimming pool, there shouldn’t be any difference in having daily supervision at the city tennis courts.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on July 27, 1971, the Mayor of Grandview Heights advised the citizens of Grandview Heights that all city parks and tennis courts were constantly patrolled at all hours by the city Police Department.

The Mayor claimed that the city had a young man working six days a week from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. in each of the city parks and also believed that due to family reunions and large gatherings with many adults at the city parks and tennis courts on Sundays, it wasn’t necessary for the city to have coverage on Sundays.

The Mayor also claimed that there was an adult male with a radio equipped car working from 1:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M in the city parks and that the Recreation Commission also had a male supervisor seven days a week during each evening from 6:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. at the city tennis courts.

The Mayor also believed that the supervision and protection that was provided at the city parks and tennis courts was more than adequate.

In a letter to the editor published in the Tri Village News on August 10, 1971, another concerned Grandview Heights resident questioned the Mayor’s belief that the supervision and protection provided at city parks and tennis courts was more than adequate.

The concerned resident wondered where the supervision was at a tennis court on the evening of July 29, 1971 after an incident involving a group of obnoxious boys and girls.

The concerned resident complained of unruly youths shouting profanities, throwing lighted firecrackers, and riding bicycles through the middle of the tennis court for almost an hour with no attempt from anyone at supervision.

The concerned resident also feared that if such behavior was allowed to continue, the city parks and tennis courts would not be fit for decent children and adults.

I also want to point out that the incident on July 29, 1971 that the concerned resident wrote about in the Tri Village News occurred at a different tennis court and it was not at the tennis court where Mike was last seen playing tennis on the afternoon of June 28, 1971.

WOW!

What an outstanding job of research and information collected and presented! Thank you so much, Nerosleuth! This shows the wonderful care and compassion that the community felt for Mike and the strong support for the Klitch family. Also, it seems to illustrate how back in 1971, the Mayor's feelings of concern were different than he/she would likely have today. Today, there likely would have been greater security personnel in park and recreational facilities had this happened today instead of back in 1971.

It would also be very interesting to hear the Klitch family members talk about how there feelings have changed concerning security for kids in public recreational areas. Did the family perhaps establish "buddy" or "friendship" systems since Mike's tragedy for example that "no one goes to the tennis court alone?" You wonder how long they enforced that rule, or even how much community concern may have even embedded that rule in other family homes in the area? With over 800 people attending Mike's memorial service, that shows the love and dedication that the community had for Mike. The family was very well known and strongly supported. Mike's parents founding of "The Klitch Fund" set up in Mike's memory proves that love and support to this day!

This is an article that reviews the "Klitch Fund" https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=lxIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5953,294071&hl=en
As this thread has much support from our own Webslueths Community to remember and honor Mike, and hopefully bring his killer to justice, would it be possible to reproduce a link to the "thank you letter" that Mike's parents wrote in support of the community's work? Doing this task actually brings the real family members to the thread and gives the case more of a humanistic element of love and support.

Additionally, any other articles from that time, statements from people, anyone who might have remembered Mike's activities leading up to going to the tennis court, like talking to the kids at the church, might possibly yield some new evidence that might help solve this case! One never knows the power and positive efforts of where strong community support can lead. With the power of the Internet and more technology, and more specialties, we owe it to all of the Klitch's family, friends, and relatives to get some closure and justice for Mike! The whole family was very kind and caring. They need closure. I want to thank everyone for their help on this case!

Regards,

Satch

I wonder if Richard Klitch was in the running for this selection, how well the appointed female instructor knew Mr. Klitch? Maybe he was on the panel who picked the female instructor? Would see no reason for any conflict of interest there. Now if Mr. Klitch had won a selection over the female instructor to coach the indoor club, that might have led to some of the friction that I talked about above. But that didn't happen.

My feeling is that this was a 65% abduction by someone who knew Mike, or at least the family. 35% says this was a stranger abduction. 75% says Mike was taken by force.

Satch

Guys,

This is an interview with Mike's brother Tim (2009) Not sure about his exact age, but I think he was born around or in 1962. (A few years younger than Mike.) He is a bank President in Austin Texas. On his first job he mentions, "Picking up tennis balls at the club for 25 cents/hour where my Dad was the pro." It's a good interview and gives insight into his and likely, the family's work ethic:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2009/07/20/story11.html

On-Line I learned that there were five kids, Mike, Tim, Beth, Jodi, and Jenny.

Satch

How do we know he was even at the tennis court? The cleaner said she saw a boy there but that doesn’t mean it was him. His tennis ball could have been left there by someone to make it look like he had been there. The clothes and tennis racket could have been left unburned to also make it seem that he was at the tennis court that day. Is it possible that he never made it to the tennis court? Is it possible he was killed in someone’s house in his neighborhood? I say this because of the butcher knife. Did anyone in his neighborhood have any links near where he was found? I think he was dead before he left his neighborhood. Was the $5000 reward paid for by one person or was it a collection?

How do we know he was even at the tennis court? The cleaner said she saw a boy there but that doesn’t mean it was him. His tennis ball could have been left there by someone to make it look like he had been there. The clothes and tennis racket could have been left unburned to also make it seem that he was at the tennis court that day. Is it possible that he never made it to the tennis court? Is it possible he was killed in someone’s house in his neighborhood? I say this because of the butcher knife. Did anyone in his neighborhood have any links near where he was found? I think he was dead before he left his neighborhood. Was the $5000 reward paid for by one person or was it a collection?

Hello,

Welcome to the forum and Mike's case!

We don't know with absolute certainty that Mike made it to the tennis court. I read that the family believes he got there because of what the apartment maid saw. I personally believe that the maid saw Mike and that it was Mike. No other people, if it was someone else playing instead of Mike, have ever come forward to say they were at the tennis court between 2:20-3:40 that afternoon. 2:20 being the time Mike would have arrived at the courts, and 3:40 being the time that his Mother arrived to pick him up. From this happening, if someone else was playing instead of Mike back on that horrible day in 1971 for the Klitch family, you would think that at some point they would have come forward to help in the investigation and say, "I was there" We don't know the maid's quality of her vision, but something tells me she would have no reason to lie about what she saw. It has to be taken into account she didn't say she saw Mike. Rather she saw a boy matching Mike's description playing tennis that day. I would like to find out the time of day when she said this, just to 100% prove that it was Mike.

That special ball found four feet from the gate given to Mike by his father could have been planted there. The family insists that Mike would never leave his tennis equipment lying around, and we have no forensic evidence of a struggle on the court. We do not know the horror of Mike's minutes or hours of struggle, who enticed him into a car and killed him, nor a motive for the killing. I went back and read that Mike's Dad believes that "Mike got into a car with someone he knew or someone who knew me." At the same time, Mr. Klitch does not rule out a stranger abduction. He said something like, "You teach your kids to be leery of that stuff, but there are so many ways now that a predator could lure a child into an uncomfortable situation, you just don't know." Mikes mother was the one who said "Mike didn't like new situations or new people." His Dad said he was "adventurous, maybe too much so."

These elements could indicate that Mike most likely accepted the false trust of a know person to him, or his father, Richard. I still believe that either Richard or Mike had an enemy, maybe not know to them, and it is likely that Richard or Mike was somehow involved in the perpetrator's life. For example, the kidnapper had a kid whom Mike beat in a tennis tournament. Or the kidnapper himself knew about Richard Klitch's coaching experience, somebody at the tennis club applying for a job and Richard turned them down. Mike could have been taken as an act of revenge and deep resentment. Shockingly, could it have been any of the Klitch kids that day who could have suffered, and poor Mike just happened to be in the wrong place that the wrong time?

We don't know exactly when Mike's special tennis ball was found at the gate. Was it observed right away when Mrs. Klitch came to pick up Mike from tennis and take the kids swimming? Or was it found by LE at a later time? If the ball was there when Joan was there, that really would not give Mike's abductor and killer much time. He would have to lure Mike away from the court. Mike takes his balls and racket with him, inducing the special ball. Mike is killed at another location, his body is stabbed with the butcher knife and scorched in the shed. Than the killer has to drive 25 miles back to plant the ball at the tennis court. I believe the killer was a local resident who lived nearby, new the area, and could have been stalking Mike, if not the family for sometime. They did this to get close to Mike, gain his trust, gain his confidence, while planning the most horrific of all horrors, abduction and murder.

Mike could have been abducted, as he was walking toward those woods to cool off, grabbed from behind, forced into a car, and the kidnapper lives nearby. They get into a terrible fight, Mike is repeatedly stabbed in the killers home, he is killed. The driver sickeningly plants the tennis ball at the court, and drives 25 miles away to burn Mike's body with the charcoal lighter fluid cans, put him in a shed, puts the clothes and shoes in a dumping bin, and gets out of town. He could have just gotten in the car after disposing of Mike's body, and thrown that tennis ball toward the gate without being seen. He could have lured Mike into those woods, without being seen. Mike could have hopped a train without being seen, just because he was tired of walking and needed a place to cool off. A park bench or chair could have been near the wooded area, and the killer sought to take advantage of this situation. It raises the question, was the perpetrators car mainly used to get out of town to destroy the evidence?

Yes, maps are available showing the approximate locations that Mike took walking to the tennis court, the church across the street, the tennis courts themselves, the wooded area and railroad tracks, and the shack and trash dump where his remains were found. This area is now a lake. Mike's body, clothes, and tennis racket were found about 25 miles away from the tennis courts.

Satch

I wish we knew who lived in the Grandview area and also had ties with the area where the body was found. Were any of the family members ever considered as suspects in this case? Who was the family friend who offered the $5000 reward?

I drove by the tennis court the other day. It is so close to route 33, which is quite busy today. Not sure how busy it was back then. Kind of a weird feeling seeing the actual location where he may have been last seen alive. I still think he never made it there.

I recently looked at the Columbus City Directories from the early 1970’s at the public library. I found out where the Columbus Indoor Tennis Club was located at during the early 1970’s.

The Columbus Indoor Tennis Club was on Joyce Avenue between East 17th Avenue and East 23rd Avenue on the northeast side of Columbus. It wasn’t a good area of the city to be in back then or today. The former Columbus Indoor Tennis Club on Joyce Avenue is now a small business warehouse.

I also happen to notice while looking at a city street map that approximately 1 mile south of where the Columbus Indoor Tennis Club used to be at on Joyce Avenue, there is a set of railroad tracks that crosses Joyce Avenue.

I also happen to notice while looking at a city street map that approximately 1 mile south of where the Columbus Indoor Tennis Club used to be at on Joyce Avenue, there is a set of railroad tracks that crosses Joyce Avenue.

A little far-fetched but with a little luck and/or knowledge they run right past the tennis courts in Grandview Heights.

Sorry to post again but I keep thinking about this case. I think one of the keys to this case is the 2 locations; Grandview Heights and the place he was found. If we find that link then it would tell us a lot.

I wish we knew who lived in the Grandview area and also had ties with the area where the body was found. Were any of the family members ever considered as suspects in this case? Who was the family friend who offered the $5000 reward?

I drove by the tennis court the other day. It is so close to route 33, which is quite busy today. Not sure how busy it was back then. Kind of a weird feeling seeing the actual location where he may have been last seen alive. I still think he never made it there.

I want to interject something interesting that UFOboy72 mentions,

How do we know that the $5000 reward was from a family friend? This was anonymously offered. I believe that the person wanted to remain anonymous for fear of publicity perhaps because they sensed that Mike was in danger early on, they didn't want their name publicized. I read a frightening statistic a while back that said most abductors who kill will often kill those they abduct within three hours of the abduction. Or could that $5000 abduction really have been a ransom note from Mike's killer, just to throw off LE? But horror of horrors, Mike's murder could have taken place long before the "$5000 reward" was published. I feel really aweful thinking this, especially if the money was from a family friend! However, the annonimous element makes me wonder:

We know that Mike was specifically going to "practice his serve" for an upcoming tennis tournament. We need to find out the following:

1.) When was this tournament and where was it held?

2. Was there a high level of competitiveness to such an extreme in this tournament, that someone wanted Mike to lose so badly, fear he would win, and did the unthinkable by abducting him and murdering him? (i.e Bumping him off so that "their kid" would have a better chance of winning?)

3.) Did Richard Klitch himself organize this tournament?

4.) Did anyone say anything hurtful, spiteful, or in a hateful sort of way to Mike, Richard, or any Klitch family members in the months, weeks, or days prior to Mike's abduction?

I keep going over this case in my head, I just cannot see Mike being taken by a stranger, unless by force or cohesion. There was only about a 45-60 minute playing stretch of time for Mike on the tennis court, which isn't very long. I don't think the abductor could have said, "Something bad happened to your family" within that short period of time. But we don't know whether or not Richard was home or not at the time Mike left the house. Unless Richard was coaching at the club, and Mike knew the perpetrator and said something like, "Your Dad's had a bad fall or a heart attack" or something like that. But in the interim, the perpetrator had sinister motives to kill Mike and destroy the evidence, either because:

1.) Mike's killer hated Mike or Richard (or both) for their athletic successes. (Or maybe just the Klitch family in general for these reasons.) Could any family member had tragically been a victim that day?

2.) Could the killer's motive have been to kidnap and kill Mike, to bring about horrific suffering to the family, so that the killer or "his kid" could be "take Mike's place" and be the new star athlete in the sick, perverted killers mind?

3.) Theorize that the killer knows the area and several miles out of the vicinity. In his mind, to make sure he is never caught, he murders Mike at some other location that would be hard to see or hear what was taking place. It could have been the woods, it could have been the killer's home, (Mike lured there, if the killer lived close to the Klitch's house)

4.) The killer likely knows about the dump site where Mike's body was found and that the shed would eventually be underwater. I think it likely that the two cans of charcoal lighter fluid found at the site belonged to the killer. DNA testing if available back than could have been done on those cans.

A stranger abduction I cannot rule out, but it seems it would take a hell of a lot of coaxing and convincing for Mike to go with a stranger. Unless, like I said early, the heat and humidity was so horrible that it overtook Mike's normal good judgment and thinking, and with a near 100 degree index, looks for a place to cool off in those woods, leaves his tennis ball at the gate, fully intending to come back, asking for a ride home and is met with danger. Or Mike is grabbed from behind by a stranger, is quickly over-powered, lured into a car and met with instant horror. If a stranger did kidnap and kill Mike, I think it was by force.

The pain and hurt for this poor family has to be beyond all comprehension! We have to work to find justice and closure for Mike and his family!

Satch

Was Michael thought of as the best (or close to it) player entered in the tournament? If it was like a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan type situation then the perp field should be narrowed substantially.

I have gone over the entire thread although hurriedly. Have police ever mentioned a poi?

The only time on a hot day I would overdress is:

a. going to a night baseball game later, when it cools down.

b. Plans to go somewhere later where it is cool (restaurant)

Did Michael have other plans besides tennis?

If he wanted to sweat off a few pounds possibly. Or also, I wear long sleeves while mowing my yard on a hot day as protection against mosquitoes and poison ivy.

Was Michael thought of as the best (or close to it) player entered in the tournament? If it was like a Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan type situation then the perp field should be narrowed substantially.

Oh man!

I just got a chill when I read this, because that's exactly the type of situation that I envision could have happened to Mike. In hindsight, if that scenario is true, it could have been that tournament, it could have been past tournaments as well. The feeling that Mike was a good, sharp, athlete destined for stardom. Perhaps someone did not like that with such furor and intensity, that it prompted them to kidnap and murder him

How was his body identified? How badly burned was he?

From what I remember reading. his parents identified Mike's body within a few days after a couple, whom I believe were berry-picking with their children, discovered a charred and stabbed body in a shed twenty-five miles away from the tennis courts. Mike's glasses and clothes were found in a trash dump. I can't remember if Mike's Tennis racket was in the trash bin as well, or found in a shallow water pit nearby. Fragments of clothing still on Mike's body matched the clothes in the dumping bin. Don't know if, or how many tennis balls Mike had with him, or if any were found, aside from the special made ball given to Mike by his father, four feet from the gate.

Satch

One important element we need more information about is the following:

Mike spent some time talking to some kids accross the street near the church, before going to the tennis court What did they talk about? What was Mike's conversation with these children? How well and respected were these kid's parents to Mike's parents and to Mike?

What we do know about Mike's planned activites (But would love to know so much more! about that day and any events leading up to the tragedy:)

1.) Mike left the house between 2-2:10 PM on June 28, 1971 to play tennis at a court about 15-20 minutes away on a 95 degree plus day.
2.) Mike was a good kid, close to his family, normally left notes. He did not leave a note, but asked his Mother to pick him up about 3:30.
3.) Mrs. Klitch arrived at the tennis court between 3:30-3:40. No sign of Mike was seen. Mike was to go swimming with at least two of his other siblings right after getting picked up from tennis. How long Mrs. Klitch waited at the courts is not known.
4.) Mrs. Klitch dropped off the other Kitch kids at the municipal swimming pool.
5.) Mike had a baseball game that night, he loved playing sports. He was the center-fielder on his team, and the family said, "Would not miss it for anything."
6.) Joan Klitch was a member of the school board. She attended a meeting later that afternoon, she came home, fully expecting that Mike would be there. When he wasn't, the family called the police.

Satch

One important element we need more information about is the following:

Mike spent some time talking to some kids accross the street near the church, before going to the tennis court What did they talk about? What was Mike's conversation with these children? How well and respected were these kid's parents to Mike's parents and to Mike?

What we do know about Mike's planned activites (But would love to know so much more! about that day and any events leading up to the tragedy:)

1.) Mike left the house between 2-2:10 PM on June 28, 1971 to play tennis at a court about 15-20 minutes away on a 95 degree plus day.
2.) Mike was a good kid, close to his family, normally left notes. He did not leave a note, but asked his Mother to pick him up about 3:30.
3.) Mrs. Klitch arrived at the tennis court between 3:30-3:40. No sign of Mike was seen. Mike was to go swimming with at least two of his other siblings right after getting picked up from tennis. How long Mrs. Klitch waited at the courts is not known.
4.) Mrs. Klitch dropped off the other Kitch kids at the municipal swimming pool.
5.) Mike had a baseball game that night, he loved playing sports. He was the center-fielder on his team, and the family said, "Would not miss it for anything."
6.) Joan Klitch was a member of the school board. She attended a meeting later that afternoon, she came home, fully expecting that Mike would be there. When he wasn't, the family called the police.

Satch

I think the answer is to be found from the kids he met up with when he left his house. Have believed this from the first time I read about tis case. jmo

Could one of the owners of the quarry nearby also be an owner or involved with the quarry at Alum Creek? Did this person also live in Marble Cliff? This person would certainly know his way around where the body was found and if he lived in Marble Cliff then he was most certainly known. And quite possibly friends with the Klitch family.

I feel there is something here....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back