OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They left court very quickly. However, this isn't much to say. Really what could they say? They say George maintains his innocence but note his attorneys didn't say THEY think he is innocent. Like when defense attorneys think their client is innocent they usually have stronger words to say to the press.

Interesting and relevant points. GW4 had very good representation. They bothered us a lot and dragged out the pre-trial process for nearly 2 years, but they did a good job representing their client. It's interesting to consider they probably think he's guilty.

Pretty sure John Parker received his law degree from Case Western Reserve University, a top tier law school.

I also believe she needed dependents to claim to increase her allotted income. The SSI GWIII was getting is minimal. She had little income if any after the kennel fire…

The only income she had on her own was selling animals and selling miscellaneous items. Even for that she had her "boys" help her take care of the animals. She had a big garden to provide some food too. But this is it, unless Billy gave her money. His small disability wouldn't go to her, it would go to him at FWF. Maybe he gave her some of it but the "boys" were grown and so he had no child support etc....

I don't think she got financial help from Billy or FW. FW wanting to sell the land and trailer Angie was living in is a big red flag to me. My guess is that Billy moving out might have had something to do with it. It seems a very odd thing to do to your son's wife, even if they split up. Plus, her grandsons lived there too.

I wonder if Billy secretly wanted Angie off FWF property. It makes sense to want to put some distance between you and your ex-wife and not want to drive by her place every day and see her around there, running into her, having her see who you might be dating, her expecting frequent visits maybey, etc...Just a guess.

He only visited at Peterson Rd a couple times a week bringing doughnuts for the kids. The 4 phones weren't even together in 2016 until that one night. I assume BCI means their phones being together overnight. Obviously, the 4 phones could have been together briefly during a daytime visit - unless when Billy visited someone was always gone, like George and Jake driving their truck.

Last edited:
I still believe, that after all the trials and motions. AW sentencing judge, will review her case. Then decide he doesn't agree with the sentence, that the defense and prosecution agree on. Which is his right to do, and will change her sentence to add a few more years. Around ten to twenty additional, and basically giving her life.

Do not know if this was posted yet - I personally did not see it.

for GW4 - docket update:

12/22/2022 JOURNAL ENTRY -- This cause came on for hearing on December 19, 2022, upon the Defendant's Motion No. 120, entitled "DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL," filed on December 14, 2022. The Court finds that the State of Ohio filed a "MEMORANDUM CONTRA DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL" on December 19, 2022, prior to the hearing on the motion. A sentencing hearing had previously been scheduled in this action for December 19, 2022, and the Court finds that both the State of Ohio and the Defendant, through counsel, agreed that the Defendant's Motion No. 120 should be heard on December 19, 2022, before the sentencing hearing.
The Defendant was present in Court and was represented by his attorneys, John Patrick Parker and Richard M. Nash, Jr. The State of Ohio was represented by the Prosecuting Attorney, Robert Junk, and by Special Prosecuting Attorney Angela Canepa and Special Prosecuting Attorney David A. Wilson.
The Court finds that the Defendant appeared in civilian clothing and without visible restraints.
Having been fully informed in the premises through the memoranda filed by each party and by oral argument presented by counsel for each party on December 19, 2022, the Court finds that Defendant's Motion No. 120 is not well taken, and it is hereby ORDERED that Defendant's Motion No. 120 is hereby overruled and denied.
The Clerk of Courts is directed to send a copy of this Journal Entry to the Defendant, to counsel for the Defendant, to the Prosecuting Attorney, and to each of the Special Prosecuting Attorneys, all by ordinary U.S. Mail

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...6lgnaBH6DKTcsasAkoLtmMY1s07sYodfEHhbhWFjkaswA

I think Angela had financial motive to "collect" children, this is my opinion.

Her husband left her to go back and live with his wealthy mother. His wealthy mother sold the trailer she let Angela live in, out from under her, well would have, but Angela got mad and burned it down first. His mother gave Angela crappy jobs on the farm and wasn't doing her any favors.

After a life of crime and arson and even burning down her dog kennel, with her dogs inside - well no proof she burned it down but no proof Angela the arsonist didn't. At any rate, Angela found herself as a middle aged single woman without a career without retirement money without financial security in her future, so what did she do?

She depended on her 2 sons to support her. And why would they do that? Because she was raising their children! Her "boys" depended on her for childcare. George said it himself during his testimony, that one reason he didn't move out is for the childcare he got from his mom. I can't remember his exact words but he mentioned childcare.

So we know from their testimony that George's and Jake's wives wanted to move out and have their own homes. So what happened to them? Angela got rid of BOTH of them!

Angela could never allow her "boys" to move out and into their own homes taking their children. They could never financially support her then. They would have their own bills, they couldn't afford to pay her bills also.

So she interfered in George's relationship and arguments he had with his wife Tabby, threatening to shoot her and throwing a board at her. Then when Tabby left she made sure to hire an attorney and get Tabby out of her child's life for good. She made it impossible for Tabby to visit her son then cooked up the idea of keeping Tabby away from her son for a year to then claim Tabby abandoned her son. A date in June was often mentioned, and fake addresses were used. Also, running off to AK then not telling Tabby they were back and so on.

Jake's wife Beth also wanted her own home so how did Angela get rid of her? By accusing her of child @#$%& abuse. George and Angela would not allow Beth around the children. Angela told Jake during a recorded phone call that if he moved out she would never feel his daughter would be safe around Beth. Angela and George voted Jake's wife out of the family. That's why George said "the family has spoken."

Wives were a threat to Angela. George said he would have to tell his son the "cold hard truth that Angela was not his mother." Why did Angela want to be mother?

Because then if George married again there would be no way the new stepmother could step in and be the mom. No chance of George wanting to move to his own home taking his son with him. After all, you can't take a kid away from his mother, right?

Angela depended on those kids to get financial support from her sons, and that is exactly what she got, until she went too far with her selfish financial plans and now sits in jail and then will sit in prison, 26 more years.

And what Angela did is so heinous, so diabolical, so horrendous, that the word "selfish" just doesn't cover it. No amount of words can express the amount of evil that woman schemed up to get her life the way she wanted it to be. Using innocent children to do it.

There is an old saying, by whom I can't recall at the moment:

THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE RULES THE WORLD
Well said, CC. AW the master manipulator IMO. Follow the money.

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle Rules the World is a poem by William Ross Wallace.

I still believe, that after all the trials and motions. AW sentencing judge, will review her case. Then decide he doesn't agree with the sentence, that the defense and prosecution agree on. Which is his right to do, and will change her sentence to add a few more years. Around ten to twenty additional, and basically giving her life.
Agreed. This would be the right thing for the judge to do. Sentencing should fit the crime. IMO.

He would make a lot of people happy if he added ten or so years.

Agreed. This would be the right thing for the judge to do. Sentencing should fit the crime. IMO.

It didn't occur to me the judge could change her sentence. I don't know how "locked in" the judge is in following her plea deal. He told her if she didn't abide by her agreement or follow the rules, something like that, that she wouldn't get her plea deal. I can't remember the exact words, but he FOR SURE warned her.

Some posters thought some of what he was referring to was not only Angela testifying against her family and being truthful, but that Angela needed to follow all the Court rulings of not contacting her family and no phone calls and no mail.

Point is, if the judge does extend her sentence beyond the 30 year plea agreement, then her attorneys can try to overturn her sentence on the grounds that she fully cooperated and fully followed all Court rulings after making her plea agreement.

But if the judge does extend her sentence he would list out all his lawful reasons in doing so. He would have good reasons to do this. So if he feels a longer sentence is the best course of action, then I believe it's possible he could go that way.

I have a feeling he will stick to the 30 years no parole, no early release because she testified in George's trial and was sticking to her proffer, and I assume she has been following Court rulings. I assume she has been trying to follow the rules so as not to mess up her plea deal.

Her pitiful excuse that she was trying to protect Jake's daughter from "abuse" no one believes. She could not give a reason why she did not report "abuse" to Child Protective Services and then allow the child back into the mother's care because she could not give ANY proof of abuse. Just lie and blame the victims is all she could do in her defense. Was pathetic. No one buys her trash talk on the stand.

PS. I definitely think she should get LWOP. It is no secret that I believe she instigated the murders for financial gain, coupled with her obsession for total control and I think she is a psychopath. A very dangerous person. She even wanted her mom to go to prison for her plus sit for a year on house arrest. She threw her own mother under the bus, set up her own mother.

Listen to what her brother says about her in a podcast and on the stand. He doesn't like her. Her own brother.
I mean of course he doesn't like her now, but even before the murders he didn't like the way she acted, she wasn't seen as a nice person.

Last edited:
I also believe she needed dependents to claim to increase her allotted income. The SSI GWIII was getting is minimal. She had little income if any after the kennel fire…
If her sons did not have legal custody they most likely would have been court ordered to pay child support. That would have definitely hit the familys' pocketbook and she would have lost control. She couldn't have that..
JMO

Does anyone know why AW was so obsessed with children collecting? Wanting to be the mom of her grandkids. Wanting no one with them other than her and her evil spawn. What is the root of this behavior? Did she really want more kids of her own? Was there a reason that wasn't an option?

Probably a waste of time to try to ferret out the logic when the subject is a person so mentally unstable. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
It doesn’t make sense to me either. I’ve wondered if she ever applied to become a foster parent when George and Jake were too young to be fathers. For both money and a way to have additional children in the family.

If her sons did not have legal custody they most likely would have been court ordered to pay child support. That would have definitely hit the familys' pocketbook and she would have lost control. She couldn't have that..
JMO

Yup, more financial motive. Not having to pay child support plus getting more State benefits like possible welfare benefits or social security or food stamps etc...In addition to her "boys" paying her for full-time childcare, sharing their bank accounts with her, living with her, paying household bills etc...

Paying her for childcare was mentioned in testimony.

Remember, Jake said it was Angela's idea to do the go fund me fundraiser to get money from the public. Again, money money money, anyway she can get it.

It came up somewhere in testimony that the Wagner's accused the Manley's of the murders to get an insurance payout.

So there is yet again another financial motive for Angela to line her coffers with. Angela obviously knew about the insurance payout that would now go to Jake as legal guardian.

I see a financial motive written all over Angela. No college/job training, no formal career, no retirement, no land or property gifts from her wealthy in-laws, no disability, no job with health insurance plus other benefits, no husband to support her, just selling animals and items on-line. Not enough income to support herself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy didn't officially divorce her because he didn't want to have to pay her anything. In a divorce she may have gotten some alimony, gotten something.

Last edited:

AW initially faced 22 felony counts and I don't think the Judge will add years to her sentence beyond the charges she agreed to plead guilty to (8 counts of aggravated murder were dismissed).

30 years in prison (without the possibility of parole or early release)
is consistent with conspiracy to commit murder, burglary, tampering with evidence, and other charges as part of a plea deal by the prosecutor made with the agreement of the Rhoden family.

This is not the first time a prosecutor has made a deal with the devil and won't be the last. Most important to the Judge here is that the Rhoden family did not oppose the agreement. MOO

Angela's testimony in this article proves to me that she was the mastermind, grossly lying about the Rhodens to get her family to kill for her so she could get full custody (through Jake).

Same stipulation she gave to the mother of George's son. Exact same thing:

".......She also said that if Hanna Rhoden had agreed to give full custody of the girl to Jake and only agreed to supervised visits, the murders would not have happened."

She did the exact same thing to Jake's wife. Same lies against her to get rid of her.

She never would have stopped. This would have continued on with other women in her son's lives, no doubt there would have been other women. Same MO.

Thank God BCI and the prosecution stopped this psycho from 30 more years of this. 30 years she can only do her evil dramas behind bars.

The 4 being locked up is likely saving someone's life. I believe after killing 8 and threatening to kill both ex wives, plus Beth's family, that The Wagner Crime Family would have killed again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why AW was so obsessed with children collecting? Wanting to be the mom of her grandkids. Wanting no one with them other than her and her evil spawn. What is the root of this behavior? Did she really want more kids of her own? Was there a reason that wasn't an option?

Probably a waste of time to try to ferret out the logic when the subject is a person so mentally unstable. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I don't think it was really collecting, so much as it was she didn't want any who were of her bloodline, outside of her range of control.

I don't think it was really collecting, so much as it was she didn't want any who were of her bloodline, outside of her range of control.

Well put. Control - obsessive compulsive control - definitely plays a big part. Obsession over custody and control of children DeWine said.

But she also wanted control over a baby that wasn't Jake's. However, the baby is her grand daughter's sister.

Now THAT'S obsession. Put Jake on the birth certificate and steal another man's baby.

Then the hunters became the hunted. Angela told Billy on a recorded phone call that the situation she was in was "intolerable." That of being accused of the murders.

Last edited:
Well put. Control - obsessive compulsive control - definitely plays a big part. Obsession over custody and control of children DeWine said.

But she also wanted control over a baby that wasn't Jake's. However, the baby is her grand daughter's sister.

Now THAT'S obsession. Put Jake on the birth certificate and steal another man's baby.

Then the hunters became the hunted. Angela told Billy on a recorded phone call that the situation she was in was "intolerable." That of being accused of the murders.

I've never heard AW make a claim on K. If so, it was likely b/c JW made the implication that K might be his child. JW knew better though and admitted so. In other words, that was probably to annoy CH, CG, and HMR before the murders, so he kept his story going, after the murders. If AW thought she was JW's bio child, I do believe she would have wanted her. I think that's why JW went through the DNA. He'd convinced his mother that the child was his. DNA would prove she was not.

I've never heard AW make a claim on K. If so, it was likely b/c JW made the implication that K might be his child. JW knew better though and admitted so. In other words, that was probably to annoy CH, CG, and HMR before the murders, so he kept his story going, after the murders. If AW thought she was JW's bio child, I do believe she would have wanted her. I think that's why JW went through the DNA. He'd convinced his mother that the child was his. DNA would prove she was not.

Canepa said Hanna was very clear with Jake that Charlie Gilley was the father yet he wanted her to put him on the Birth Certificate and say he was the father. This was in court before George had his trial.

Jake is a liar. He knew he wasn't the father. Jake lied in all of his Chris Grave's articles.

Jake read Hanna's Facebook - and so did I - where she flat out says CG is the father. She sent him an ultrasound photo and he put it up as the main photo on his Facebook page.

And in the iheart podcast that SB said we could quote if the person gave their name and relationship, Chrs Jr's close friend (who also gave one or more MSM interviews) said that Jake begged Hanna to put him on the BC and even offered to pay child support. Begged and cried about wanting to get back together with her, he said "we were so good together."

Jake would have told Angela all this and this sounds like Angela's influence. Plus, the friend said that both Angela and Jake offered to get the new baby a crib, they might have also mentioned putting up a crib at their own house for the baby.

I can look for the links. I understand it's opinion without the links. But I wouldn't post this without being sure about what I heard and saw. I don't remember everything word for word.

Last edited:
Canepa said Hanna was very clear with Jake that Charlie Gilley was the father yet he wanted her to put him on the Birth Certificate and say he was the father. This was in court before George had his trial.

Jake is a liar. He knew he wasn't the father. Jake lied in all of his Chris Grave's articles.

Jake read Hanna's Facebook - and so did I - where she flat out says CG is the father. She sent him an ultrasound photo and he put it up as the main photo on his Facebook page.

And in the iheart podcast that SB said we could quote if the person gave their name and relationship, Chrs Jr's close friend (who also gave one or more MSM interviews) said that Jake begged Hanna to put him on the BC and even offered to pay child support. Begged and cried about wanting to get back together with her, he said "we were so good together."

Jake would have told Angela all this and this sounds like Angela's influence. Plus, the friend said that both Angela and Jake offered to get the new baby a crib, they might have also mentioned putting up a crib at their own house for the baby.

I can look for the links. I understand it's opinion without the links. But I wouldn't post this without being sure about what I heard and saw. I don't remember everything word for word.
I don't doubt you at all. Jake is a murderer, so it's not really a far stretch that he'd lie. That's why I had wanted to hear or see a copy o, his testimony. I now, even more, consider the deal with AW far too forgiving but that's just me.

I only think AW would have wanted K because JW claimed the child to be his, and AW believed him or wanted to believe him and I'm sure he'd have raised the child if HMR had come back to him. Until that night.

I'll never believe that the FB Posts/arguments, in the week or so leading up to the murders, didn't have something to do with setting it all in motion. I believe in the basics of his story and that is about all. Same with AW. She's a piece of work. Manipulation oozes out of her. He had to go through with the DNA b/c it would look weird after he'd claimed the child was his if he then became disinterested in going through with the DNA test.

AW buying her that crib, and JW putting it together was just a way to get in to DR's new place, and get a good layout of the new home. Jm2 He had reason to be everywhere in there. I may be totally off base, but why else would they buy the crib? Even if they 100% knew the child was his, they knew it wasn't going to be used very long. A ruse.

Last edited:
I don't doubt you at all. Jake is a murderer, so it's not really a far stretch that he'd lie. That's why I had wanted to hear or see a copy o, his testimony. I now, even more, consider the deal with AW far too forgiving but that's just me.

I only think AW would have wanted K because JW claimed the child to be his, and AW believed him or wanted to believe him and I'm sure he'd have raised the child if HMR had come back to him. Until that night.

I'll never believe that the FB Posts/arguments, in the week or so leading up to the murders, didn't have something to do with setting it all in motion. I believe in the basics of his story and that is about all. Same with AW. She's a piece of work. Manipulation oozes out of her. He had to go through with the DNA b/c it would look weird after he'd claimed the child was his if he then became disinterested in going through with the DNA test.

AW buying her that crib, and JW putting it together was just a way to get in to DR's new place, and get a good layout of the new home. Jm2 He had reason to be everywhere in there. I may be totally off base, but why else would they buy the crib? Even if they 100% knew the child was his, they knew it wasn't going to be used very long. A ruse.

Yes, this all seemed to be common knowledge, including during the trial. Recall, also, that Jake admitted he wanted to get custody of K because he wanted K and S to grow up together.

IIRC, Jake was pretty clear about his intentions re K during the trial. It's also why he showed up at the hospital after the murders, trying to get K. Was AW also involved in this plotting for K? IIRC, the testimony supported that, though on a lesser level. My recollection was that she supported Jake getting K. They discussed this, IIRC.

Re seeing a copy of Jake's testimony, I thought someone had already procured that. IIRC, there was a performance of the trial dialogue on a podcast. Are there no verified copies or links to this transcript available to the public? The link you folks shared here apparently was not a good one. Are there fake or altered copies out there? Is there a verified version of the transcript available to the public online? Keep in mind, there may be some evidence the state will not reveal publicly before or during Billy's trial.

Admitted liar.

“You lied to everybody until you got your plea bargain, isn’t that true?” Parker asked.

“Yes.” Jake Wagner replied.

In addition to attacking his credibility, Parker zeroed in on the Jake Wagner’s memory, which Jake Wagner at one point described as a jigsaw puzzle. “Sometimes I remember things that didn’t happen that way,” he said.

“How long have you had this problem?” Parker asked when Jake Wagner said he sometimes has trouble remembering things.

“A long time,” Jake Wagner replied.

“Do you get confused sometimes?” Parker asked.

“Yes.” Jake Wagner answered.

Prior to that back and forth, Jake Wagner had described to the jury that at least two times he had been hit in the head as a child. He said he was so hurt the second time that he vomited if he tried to walk.

His father didn’t believe in going to the doctor, Jake Wagner explained during his testimony. George “Billy” Wagner III would stitch his kids up himself if they got hurt.

Jake Wagner also said his father taught him what he called “survival skills” early on in life.

Survival skills like how to break into cars; how to evade detection; how to break into a house or building with or without a lock pick; how to locate surveillance systems. Even how to survive in the woods on plants and mushrooms.

Lessons on how to break into cars eventually progressed to how to shoplift. Then how to siphon gas from cars. Even how to steal cargo from semi-trucks. Taking pains to stress that he personally never stole a car or cargo from semi-trucks, Jake Wagner – who worked for a time as a truck driver – said he sometimes would serve as lookout for his father.

Recounting a time his father delivered a stolen semitruck to Mexico, Jake Wagner said George “Billy” Wagner III was compensated handsomely.

Jake Wagner also said his father taught him to search corners when entering a room and to always pay attention to shadows. That and to always assume someone was listening in on his conversations.

“That was hardwired into my childhood. No matter where you was, assume that someone was listening,” Jake Wagner said.

“You’re a stone-cold killer, aren’t you?” Parker asked toward the end of the day’s proceedings.

“I was,” Jake Wagner replied.

“You killed eight people!” Parker said.

“I did,” Jake Wagner replied.

“You’re lying all the time, aren’t you?” Parker asked.

“I did,” Jake Wagner replied.

“You are!” John Parker shouted at him. “You sold your testimony to the state of Ohio to save your life?”

"I provided truthful testimony," Jake Wagner said.

"You sold that, didn't you? You didn't throw yourself on the mercy of the court with death specifications?" Parker asked.

“That’s one way of looking at it.” Jake Wagner replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18