OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ran across this article from Aug 17, 2016 ..... I saw this movie.....This is Billy Wagner's jail
Butler County, Ohio - Persons Currently In Custody

A movie about mob boss John Gotti starring John Travolta is filming this week at the Butler County Jail.
Sheriff Richard Jones told the Journal-News he met Travolta on Tuesday and he was a “great guy.”
In addition to filming in jail cells, the crew has also shot scenes in interrogation rooms.

1705289827817.png

Sheriff Richard Jones told the Journal-News he met Travolta today and he was a “great guy.”
1705290613209.png

Attachments

• 1705291598261.png
    1705291598261.png
    675.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is a book written about the case. I have not read it so I cannot give an opinion other than maybe the title could have been different. Does anyone else know of any other non fiction books about the case?

For The Love of Sophie: How a custody battle resulted in the execution-style murders of eight people in a small Ohio town Paperback – March 23, 2023​

Last edited:
Is it different than if we watched his testimony live??
No, but they do talk to Wilson and some others. I had missed in Georges testimonyin trial that the Rhodens leased land from them to hunt on, I assumed he meant Fredericka. They did not show that much of Georges testimony. Each time there may be a tidbit I see in the programs that I had missed when watching the trial. Seems there were a few pics I may not have seen before but most of the pics were blurred out due to being graphic.

No, but they do talk to Wilson and some others. I had missed in Georges testimonyin trial that the Rhodens leased land from them to hunt on, I assumed he meant Fredericka. They did not show that much of Georges testimony. Each time there may be a tidbit I see in the programs that I had missed when watching the trial. Seems there were a few pics I may not have seen before but most of the pics were blurred out due to being graphic.

That part about leasing land to hunt on sounds vaguely familiar. The defense was throwing all kinds of information out there. Maybe they thought that information would help GW4 somehow? I guess trying to say they were such good friends they wouldn't kill the Rhodens. If they were good friends, why did Fred charge them money to go hunting on her property?

I keep thinking it will be interesting to see Billy's trial, then I recall what it was like listening to Ohio BCI agents question him in the parking lot. Sheer boredom mixed with brief moments of hilarity and astonishment.

This is an interesting development. Ohio is looking at re-starting executions for criminals sentenced to death. Ohio AG Dave Yost is presumed to be running for governor next year.

Wonder if Billy Wagner would re-think a plea deal if Yost gets his way.

This is an interesting development. Ohio is looking at re-starting executions for criminals sentenced to death. Ohio AG Dave Yost is presumed to be running for governor next year.

Wonder if Billy Wagner would re-think a plea deal if Yost gets his way.

It's weird.

I assume Billy wishes his wife and son would not testify against him. Without their testimony he could get off. However, without Jake's testimony Billy would then be under the DP if found guilty.

Jake testifies = no DP for Jake or Billy

Jake doesn't testify = both Jake and Billy are under the DP.

Angie doesn't testify = Angie loses her 30 year deal. Would she then be back under the DP, accused of the murder charges she was allowed to drop? Possible.

2 Cents

It's weird.

I assume Billy wishes his wife and son would not testify against him. Without their testimony he could get off. However, without Jake's testimony Billy would then be under the DP if found guilty.

Angie doesn't testify = Angie loses her 30 year deal. Would she then be back under the DP, accused of the murder charges she was allowed to drop? Possible.

2 Cents
JMO, if Billy takes a plea deal instead of going to trial, the prosecution will be happy. I don’t think they would punish Jake or Angie for that.

The only reason Billy wanted to go to trial was because the worst that could happen was a guilty verdict with no DP. No one expected Yost to resume executions with a horrible new technique.

Billy does things his own way, though.

JMO, if Billy takes a plea deal instead of going to trial, the prosecution will be happy. I don’t think they would punish Jake or Angie for that.

The only reason Billy wanted to go to trial was because the worst that could happen was a guilty verdict with no DP. No one expected Yost to resume executions with a horrible new technique.

Billy does things his own way, though.

Absolutely that it wouldn't affect Jake or Angela's plea arrangements if Billy were to cop a plea. They are required to testify at Billy's trial for the sole purpose of helping to secure 22 convictions against him.

If Billy pleads guilty then the prosecution has met their objective in convicting him.

Yes what Yost is doing could cause Billy to take a plea if he were actually under the DP. But if Jake testifies then - like you said - Billy has nothing to lose. He gets LWOP.

Except his "dirty laundry" would be aired yet again at trial, along with new revelations no doubt. But maybe he wants to defend himself and mitigate his "bad dad" - leader of a crime family - reputation.

I would seriously consider going down there if I knew for sure the exact days and times Billy was testifying. I mean if he testified. George's testimony was a surprise so no one could plan for it. I believe there are people who didn't come but would have come to hear George's testimony if they knew in advance.

Not a peep from the court.....are they ready for a trial in 3 months?

2 Cents

It's weird.

2 Cents
Seems like there is no plea deal Billy could make that would not give him the same outcome as a trial.
I think the only plea deal the state would accept is LWOP and that is also the max he would get if going to trial with Jake testifying.

Seems like there is no plea deal Billy could make that would not give him the same outcome as a trial.
I think the only plea deal the state would accept is LWOP and that is also the max he would get if going to trial with Jake testifying.

What if they put Billy on trial without having Jake testify? Just a thought.

Absolutely that it wouldn't affect Jake or Angela's plea arrangements if Billy were to cop a plea. They are required to testify at Billy's trial for the sole purpose of helping to secure 22 convictions against him.

If Billy pleads guilty then the prosecution has met their objective in convicting him.

Yes what Yost is doing could cause Billy to take a plea if he were actually under the DP. But if Jake testifies then - like you said - Billy has nothing to lose. He gets LWOP.

Except his "dirty laundry" would be aired yet again at trial, along with new revelations no doubt. But maybe he wants to defend himself and mitigate his "bad dad" - leader of a crime family - reputation.

I would seriously consider going down there if I knew for sure the exact days and times Billy was testifying. I mean if he testified. George's testimony was a surprise so no one could plan for it. I believe there are people who didn't come but would have come to hear George's testimony if they knew in advance.

Not a peep from the court.....are they ready for a trial in 3 months?

2 Cents
There is not an official entry in courtview for a date for Billy's trial. They did verbally say a date in court but I wonder if that will hold true.

There is not an official entry in courtview for a date for Billy's trial. They did verbally say a date in court but I wonder if that will hold true.

Maybe they're trying to negotiate a deal? I thought I recalled hearing them talk about a date in October? ICBW

ETA: Last mentioned in court, it was May 6, 2024. I don't see how they're going to make that deadline, esp. if its not listed in the court docket.

Last edited:
<modsnip - off topic, please use PM for personal conversations>

Just trying to catch up on Billy W. I am way behind on all these posts and the news about BW's trials. Does anyone know when his trial starts?

Did Georges appeal get off the ground? Personally, I didn't think it would but haven't been keeping up.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member